Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 13:45   #1141
BHPian

Re: Maruti Gypsy Pictures

Not altogether "plain jane", antihero ! That luggage carrier is something I do not have -- what model is it ? Vehicle looks well preserved for 20 yrs ! Keep it up.
I too had a 1995 5-door before the present 2011 King.
Old 13th June 2016, 14:51   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Not altogether "plain jane", antihero ! That luggage carrier is something I do not have -- what model is it ? Vehicle looks well preserved for 20 yrs ! Keep it up.
I too had a 1995 5-door before the present 2011 King.
It is a 1996 model MG410W. The body is custom made in Naraina, New Delhi with one side door. The custom luggage carrier (crafted especially) is to hold two spare wheels if needed, or a spare wheel and a solar charger. I use it for my treks and photography in Himachal and J&K. 'Plain Jane' because the engine and underpinnings are stock with no performance mods. The only changes are the carrier and 215-75-15 Michelin 4x4 tyres. The rear seat has been taken off and the interiors have been kitted out to live in. Yet everything works as it should and its been lovingly maintained. You can read the entire ownership story here

Just like you i may decide to buy a brand new MG413 someday but for now this works flawlessly.

Cheers mate!

P.S. since this is a picture thread i thought I'd post another picture from last year
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-20150517dp2m3608.jpg

Last edited by antihero : 13th June 2016 at 14:58. Reason: added changes
Old 13th June 2016, 20:42   #1143

Hi All,
Iam posting my Gypsy in new Avatar!! ( MG 410W converted to MG413W- MPFI ) Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsypic1.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsypic2.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsypic3.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsypic4.jpg
Gypsy_roadies is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:33   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_roadies View Post
Hi All,
Iam posting my Gypsy in new Avatar!! ( MG 410W converted to MG413W- MPFI )
Thats an immaculate looking Gypsy. Would be sharing the conversion details in a thread? As far as i understand the new Gypsy king hood (with a profusion in the centre) was made to accommodate the larger 413 engine. Looks like you have shoehorned the engine inside the same 410 hood. More details on how you managed that accomplish this would be extremely useful for the forum.

I am also curious about the tyre size, it looks a lot bigger than the 215-75-15 I have on. Could you share the details and whether they mess up with the fenders / leaf springs on full lock.

Cheers!

Last edited by antihero : 14th June 2016 at 17:37. Reason: grammar and spelling
Old 14th June 2016, 17:50   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear members,

Has Maruti removed the tiny hook sort of thing on the bonnet, that came in the earlier Gypsy's??

Kindly have a look-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3935312

Even this HT lacks it-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3921648

Did that come only in the ST version??

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th June 2016 at 17:57.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:32   #1146
Senior - BHPian

It definitely is there on my 2009 short top; it is to hold down the windshield if dropped on to the hood with the top down, for which there is a small belt provided as well.
The HT doesn't need this for obvious reasons.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 21:00   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
It is a 1996 model MG410W. The body is custom made in Naraina, New Delhi with one side door. The custom luggage carrier (crafted especially) is to hold two spare wheels if needed, or a spare wheel and a solar charger. I use it for my treks and photography in Himachal and J&K. 'Plain Jane' because the engine and underpinnings are stock with no performance mods. The only changes are the carrier and 215-75-15 Michelin 4x4 tyres. The rear seat has been taken off and the interiors have been kitted out to live in. Yet everything works as it should and its been lovingly maintained. You can read the entire ownership story here

Just like you i may decide to buy a brand new MG413 someday but for now this works flawlessly.

Cheers mate!

P.S. since this is a picture thread i thought I'd post another picture from last year
Attachment 1517446
Didn't spot the missing right rear-door handle the first time. Your "hardbody" seems to be a curious mix of the FRP Hard Top and the custom-made metal body ! Something like the army officers do -- put in a second left door within the FRP top. You have retained the metal-at-the-bottom and FRP-at-the top setup for the dickey door, I think. So why change the rear glass ?

My 5-door is shabbily made in Calcutta, but I chose the standard Maruti HT rear glass for better rear visibility. (Experience with a similar 410W made me suggest a few improvements to the fabricators) And the back seat being from Mahindra Bolero, I keep the backrest folded down when there are no passengers there, to give me total visibility. Pictures a few pages back in this thread.

Went through your earlier thread. Overheating IS an issue, even in MG413W with its plastic& aluminium radiator, particularly with the ineffective A/C fitted in Calcutta (which overheats the engine more than it cools the passenger cabin), and I too drive with one eye on the temperature gauge, more so at slow speeds in the city ! Higher capacity radiators not available here.

Thanks to you, I know where to put an extra hinge on the dickey door, but that will have to wait for major body repairs !. Have retained the stepney there in spite of cracks, as I drive mostly on paved roads. The fellow I sold the 1995 410W 5-door to, lost the spare wheel and carrier combo while fording a stream in North Bengal -- the entire setup ripped out of the bolt holes !

Happy trekking !

Last edited by SnakemanJohny : 14th June 2016 at 21:03. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 18th June 2016, 19:15   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_roadies View Post
Hi All,
Iam posting my Gypsy in new Avatar!!
Nice conversion! Can you please share details (source, cost, etc) for those rims?
Old 19th June 2016, 09:58   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Nice conversion! Can you please share details (source, cost, etc) for those rims?
Hi, those are Chinese make rims cost 28k for set of 5, it is relatively heavier but looks nice and the heavier wheels makes it planted to the roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Thats an immaculate looking Gypsy. Would be sharing the conversion details in a thread? As far as i understand the new Gypsy king hood (with a profusion in the centre) was made to accommodate the larger 413 engine. Looks like you have shoehorned the engine inside the same 410 hood. More details on how you managed that accomplish this would be extremely useful for the forum.

I am also curious about the tyre size, it looks a lot bigger than the 215-75-15 I have on. Could you share the details and whether they mess up with the fenders / leaf springs on full lock.

Cheers!
Hi Antihero, Thank you for your compliment, iam posting few pics of the engine bay, the block is basically an esteem 1.3L and the head was shaved to get higher compression ratio, also the engine bedding were fabricated to make the engine fit without any issues.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-engine-bay1.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-engine-bay2.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-engine-bay3.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th June 2016 at 11:32. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote feature
Gypsy_roadies is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 22:18   #1150
BHPian

My little truck from this monsoon's first OTR
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-13533094_10206899610149352_5650737383064618013_n.jpg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-13606887_10206946873170898_3266246865660746305_n.jpg  

2legit2quit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 20:18   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hi, I got the bumper courtesy Mr Vijay Kumar of Swastikfabs 4x4 ....it is quite sturdy amd made of steel. Kindly contact Mr Vijay Kumar www.swastikfabs.com or swastikfabs 4x4 on facebook for updated prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi SnakemanJohny, check out : http://www.jeepkart.in/
Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. But they do not seem too keen on selling, at least to me !
Vijay Kumar of SwastikFabs is very brief in replies, and not to inclined to quote shipping details to Calcutta.
I bought a couple of small items from JEEPKART to soften them up : FLEXISPOUT FOR JERRYCAN (does not fit and I will have to do some machining to use it), 4-IN-1 HANDY SHOVEL (the handle is of thin & soft aluminium, and will have to modify a steel tube to make one). Though of good finish, their items are overpriced ( 4500/- for a ten litre plastic jerrycan !), and though shipping is free, answers to questions are not !
Wanted to buy ROCK SLIDERS, but they simply will not give me fitting instructions -- now the item is 'out of stock'.
Reminds me of EBAY.IN where they beg you to ask questions about items they are selling, but replies are very brief, cryptic, or in "Chinese English". Then they howl if you give them negative marking !
Guess I need to be reborn in Bengaluru/NCR or thereabouts to dress up my Gypsy !
Old 24th July 2016, 21:41   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. But they do not seem too keen on selling, at least to me !
Vijay Kumar of SwastikFabs is very brief in replies, and not to inclined to quote shipping details to Calcutta.
I bought a couple of small items from JEEPKART to soften them up : FLEXISPOUT FOR JERRYCAN (does not fit and I will have to do some machining to use it), 4-IN-1 HANDY SHOVEL (the handle is of thin & soft aluminium, and will have to modify a steel tube to make one). Though of good finish, their items are overpriced ( 4500/- for a ten litre plastic jerrycan !), and though shipping is free, answers to questions are not !
Wanted to buy ROCK SLIDERS, but they simply will not give me fitting instructions -- now the item is 'out of stock'.
Reminds me of EBAY.IN where they beg you to ask questions about items they are selling, but replies are very brief, cryptic, or in "Chinese English". Then they howl if you give them negative marking !
Guess I need to be reborn in Bengaluru/NCR or thereabouts to dress up my Gypsy !
I’m actually surprised about your experience with Swastik Fab. I spoke to Mr. Vijay Kumar about 3 months ago & he spoke to me in great detail about my query including the shipping options (I had to get the bumper shipped to Shimla), payment methods etc. I wanted to buy their off-road bumper for Gypsy but later on dropped the idea & decided to keep the stock bumper.

You can try also these guys at http://www.bluegarage.in/Default.aspx as well. They have a lot of gear for Gypsy that seems to be of reasonable quality. I spoke to these guys about 3 months; the sales person was very nice & provided me with exhaustive details. Their prices also seem to be very competitive.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 19:46   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I’m actually surprised about your experience with Swastik Fab.

You can try also these guys at http://www.bluegarage.in/Default.aspx as well. They have a lot of gear for Gypsy that seems to be of reasonable quality. I spoke to these guys about 3 months; the sales person was very nice & provided me with exhaustive details. Their prices also seem to be very competitive.
Actually I preferred to use the CHAT/e-mail option for both SwastikFabs and Jeepkart initially. I like to call only when I am sure to place order, after getting all the info. Maybe that does not work.
Unfortunately BLUEGARAGE does not have the ROCKSLIDERs I am looking for now. And their WINCH BUMPERs and plastic JERRYCANs are even costlier !
Thanks anyway, maybe I will buy something else from them !
Old 30th July 2016, 12:32   #1154
BHPian

Car had come to me for steering shocks fixing. Car is brand new.
Power steering was fixed later. Shocks clamp needed slight modification due to new PS box to get the proper cutting angle.

Following visuals I like to share,

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290006.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290007.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290008.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290010.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290011.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290012.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290014.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290015.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-p7290009.jpg
narendra.vw is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 00:25   #1155