Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 08:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

I always hoped to own a jeep that would not break down often, require towing due to lack of power and was a capable mile muncher on the highways at the same time.

Time to upgrade from a Safari to a THAR.

Does the THAR come with a removable HARD TOP?
Old 13th May 2010, 08:52   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
What about back seat comfort? Will THAR be comfortable for elderly people to sit at back?
It will come with side facing bench seats, it will be up to you to change it. But then, how will old people climb into Thar, it will effectively be a 2-door Jeep once the seats are changed to front facing.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh Man, this is such good news... Too good to be true, but coming from DKG, I would believe every word of it.

Now I am tempted :-) To test and even buy one :-)
Old 13th May 2010, 09:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It will come with side facing bench seats, it will be up to you to change it. But then, how will old people climb into Thar, it will effectively be a 2-door Jeep once the seats are changed to front facing.
This is the disappointing for people like me, who is not married and staying with parents. I would love to take them around in a Jeep as we had a Jeep a decade ago. Not sure if they will be comfortable in the rear bench seat. So IMO its cannot be called as a Family vehicle.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:34   #35
Muzungu

will the production vehicle have the same size front and rear tracks?

or

it will continue with the bolero setup? front track wider than the rear track?

Old 13th May 2010, 09:34   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So IMO its cannot be called as a Family vehicle.
It is a family vehicle as far as couple + kids are concerned. Right now even that is not possible.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

At 45 degrees C here at Hyderabad, Deepak was enjoying the Thar, like a kid who has found his long lost toy and was growing in confidence as each second passed and the machine just performed and out performed all expectations on a stock set up.

The torque did most and 80% of the test drive the Thar was not engaged in 4X4 mode.

Thar she blows !!-t15.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t13.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t14.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t12.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t17.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t9.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t7.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t16.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t20.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t1.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t2.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t3.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t4.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t5.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t6.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t8.jpg

Thar she blows !!-t10.jpg
Going up in reverse.
Thar she blows !!-t19.jpg
Reciprocal time.
Thar she blows !!-t18.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 13th May 2010 at 09:54.
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 09:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Oh Man, this is such good news... Too good to be true, but coming from DKG, I would believe every word of it.

Shahnawaz,
Your name is in the top bracket when it comes to Banglore shortly.
Regards,
Old 13th May 2010, 10:04   #39
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
ever noticed how big the Thar looks as compared to other normal cars? I noticed this recently.
Your dad and I were waiting at traffic lights when we noticed a very curious biker sizing up the car. I was amazed the guy was so perceptive and motioned to BD on what may be going through his mind. We were totally kicked when he couldn't resist it and said " Is this a new car?"

Both BD and I experienced a wow moment. This man on the street could spot that this was no ordinary beat up 540. There was something amiss for him. He had to ask. I wish we could tell him he was dead right about it. We smiled at him as BD then told him "Its an old car" then curiosity got the better of BD and he said "why do you ask?" to which he said something like "it looks different" (sounds different?)

Sharp guy !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I thought GTO temporarily closed this thread.
This is a new thread on driving impressions

Quote:
I hope these options will be available on launch day. I hope the Thar is so compelling that it will force me to sell my new Invader to a Punjab teenager with too much money in his pocket and no good sense. Maybe if I glue a shovel and axe on the sides
Do it DD. You won't be dissapointed. The powerful engine will feel just right for mountain country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post
i want a JEEP, not a CAR!
You didn't read how I started the review. The Thar is not a car trying to be a offroader. Its the other way round. Its a great offroader which also happens to be a good car !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
How do you rate the mechanicals, read as transmission (gearbox, transfer case and suspension)?
To tell you the truth I was shocked when BD told me the car I was driving had done 170000 kms. I would have expected a Jeep to be a rattle trap with things falling off at that mileage. But not this one. The mechanicals felt as tight and robust as one would expect on a new car. The gear shift was crisp with no noticeable play developing. The steering still felt crisp and communicated efficiently. The engine was a delight. Smooth and silent.

There are no driveline noises at all !!

Quote:
Can you compare Thar with Bolero VLX or Scorpio regarding handling, taking corners??
I have sat in a Bolero (unfortunately the one I sat in had a pathetic ride, BD tells me there were several mods to improve the Bolero ride as compared to the earlier iterations) and body roll is more prominent in the Bolero and also the Scorpio. The Thar with its lighter body corners far better and is reasonably flat for a Jeep style vehicle. BD was trying out some higher profile tyres on the car I drove and kept saying with the production tyres the car tracks like a go cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I don't care about the PS, but an AC and hardtop is a must for me.
PS is a given, we've made it clear that a/c and hard top are a must. I think BD agrees and will ensure they come through.

Quote:
Actually I had predicted this very long back to some people, much before wish-list thread was created. The need of the hour is a family friendly offroader. For people who still don't understand what that is, it is a competent offroader which has A/C and lockable cabin. If anybody provides that, they will attract buyers from other segments like Sedan/SUV/hatch.
Spot on Sharat. You will simply love this car. Its just what you desire. Fuss free, mile cruncher and capable offroader. Like you say with a/c and hardtop this is a very viable alternative to many a sedan/hatchback

Quote:
What about back seat comfort? Will THAR be comfortable for elderly people to sit at back?
Quote:
Being a 2dr it will be a bit uncomfortable for people to get in and out, as one would expect in a 2dr (even hatchback)

The regulations have led to the side facing seat config. A must alteration which customers should carry out is to fix a forward facing bench seat

Last edited by DKG : 13th May 2010 at 10:09.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:18   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a ton for the narrative and pics, I used to keep checking the M&M at auto expo thread where they had some discussion on Thar every week or so to see if any updates has come. Now I got one more thread to do the same.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shahnawaz,
Your name is in the top bracket when it comes to Banglore shortly.
Regards,
Oye, why does a Gypsy owner figure on the top?

BTW, I will make sure to be in Bangalore if Thar comes this way. I am not going to miss it again like last time.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Because he said, He is ready to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Old 13th May 2010, 10:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW, I will make sure to be in Bangalore if Thar comes this way. I am not going to miss it again like last time.
Sharath,
You are on the top order too, A Gypsy owner needs to be on the top for him to realize what the Thar is.
You will just love the Thar, it will surprise you no end, like it did to Deepak and me 13 months ago.
Shahnawaz's must already be planning how to achieve max GC on it... a la his Gypsy on steroids.
Regards,
Old 13th May 2010, 10:36   #44
Team-BHP Support

Good good we are anxiously waiting

Do i see that the small silencer box has been re routed to sit lil higher? If so great!

oh man more i think about it, more i am in trouble!
Old 13th May 2010, 10:45   #45
BANNED

Awesome review DKG. Thanks. A similiar review from Fazal too. I am convinced.

When is it coming to Bangalore. I would surely like to have a look.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed