Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 17:28   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Down here we are better off, parts are available and reasonable. I use independent garage to maintain it and have upgraded the suspension and ECU so takes care of the handling (On & Off road) and have tons of powe
Interesting!...do you have a post on this? I would like to know what modifications exactly you have done, especially the ECU.
Old 16th September 2015, 18:30   #182
Team-BHP Support

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Interesting!...do you have a post on this? I would like to know what modifications exactly you have done, especially the ECU.
Remapped by an outfit called Code 6 here in Bangalore, i don't have a detailed post but this is what they have done. http://www.code6.in/#service

The stock map was very restrictive controlling the fuelling and even limiting it off by about 3200 Rpm. This is the reason why there is no point in revving the stock engine, it just doesn't make power higher up. The new map removes this restriction, so now the usable power starts at about 1500 and goes all the way upto about 4200+ rpm. Along with this the cat con has been removed, to allow better flow. EGR circuit again is blanked off with a metal plate. Low end has improved tremendously, and the engine has good crawling capability with the 31" tyres that i have.

I can squeeze out some more if i use a better air filter, but the stock ones have decent flow and honestly at this point i don't feel a need for more power. So have retained the same for easy serviceability.

Only downside was, one had to physically pry open the Thar ecu to access the flashing ports.

You can find details about their remap if you search for code 6 tuning threads by Sankar. He has more experience and technical info on what they do Hope this helps.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 08:48   #183
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.

Jaggu, some info about the suspension upgrades and a review on it please. Thanks.
Old 17th September 2015, 11:29   #184
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle runs on Tein suspension and the upgrade was done by Red Rooster Performance, Bangalore. The Jeep handles much better and the body roll is also reduced.

PS: @Jaggu, The previous owner of the thar is a good friend of mine and I have sat on it multiple times. I hope you don't mind me posting about the suspension setup.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 14:46   #185
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting a query on behalf of a close friend.

Primary Requirements :

1. Need a SUV, preferably a short wheelbase 4x4 for maximum usage around hilly areas.
2. Reliable mechanical parts and availability of spares so that it can be fixed at relatively remote places, if the need be.
3. This will be the primary car but daily running is limited. It will be mostly used for outstation trips.
4. Need decent space for 2 people, seating + luggage.
5. Low end torque, decent highway performance required.
6. The car will be used for 4-5 years at the minimum.
7. Extreme off-roading is not a priority, but looking for a vehicle capable of fording small streams and ability to go through ruts without kissing the bottom.

Budget : Upto 10 lakhs for a new car & upto 7-8 lakhs for a used car.

Average Monthly Running : 1500 kms (70% highway usage)

Options Considered :

1. 2016 Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4 - The Thar ticks most boxes, the compact size and 4x4 will be a boon in hilly areas. Are the niggles and issues sorted in the newer versions? What areas could need attention?

2. Maruti Gypsy - Lesser creature comforts than Thar (AC, Power Steering) but equally capable in bad terrains. Highway ride quality feels bumpy though. Petrol engine gives poor fuel economy.

3. Used Renault Duster AWD - Not sure about the reliability, but otherwise a complete package. Not sure if a decent example will be available in 7-8 lakhs bracket.

4. Ford EcoSport TDCi - Perfect size, good ground clearance, has ABS + Airbags. A 4x4 option would have made it even more complete. Any idea when is the facelifted version coming?

5. Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4 - Way over the budget, but it is very likeable. The heart says the V-Cross as it has all the necessary Safety Features which the Thar & Gypsy lack but it is way too long for most tight hilly sections. Also, parking will be a pain around city as this will be the primary car. At the price, there are many more options.

Other options are Scorpio S10 4x4, Safari Storme 4WD, used Fortuner's & used Pajero's but somehow my friend is not very keen on any of these options as they are either expensive to maintain or are over his budget by quite a big margin.

More or less, the confusion is between the Thar, the EcoSport and the D-Max although the V-Cross is considerably higher than the budget. But still it is under consideration as it has ABS + Airbags + 4WD.

Scorpio S4+ 4x4 is priced less than the V-Cross and has everything that is required. But somehow my friend is not very fond of the Scorpio. If nothing else makes sense, he may consider the S4+ 4x4.

Need suggestions from the gurus of the 4x4 section.
Old 14th July 2016, 15:46   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Need suggestions from the gurus of the 4x4 section.
Did your friend consider the Bolero LX 4x4 but i keep hearing this rumor that it has been discontinued. I would recommend the Thar anyday since it's a Diesel and very much practical since it has all the minimal creature comforts (read AC, PS etc).

Last edited by rakesh_r : 14th July 2016 at 15:48.
Old 14th July 2016, 16:30   #187
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Did your friend consider the Bolero LX 4x4 but i keep hearing this rumor that it has been discontinued. I would recommend the Thar anyday since it's a Diesel and very much practical since it has all the minimal creature comforts (read AC, PS etc).
Isn't the Bolero a little underpowered? I am just guessing as the numbers speak so, not sure about the power delivery or driveability.

Moreover the LX is available only for Govt employees as per their website, only BS3 versions it seems.
Old 14th July 2016, 16:48   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bolero is a good contender but difficult to procure.
I think you have partially answered the question yourself by inclining towards Thar.
Other than basic crude build Thar do not have any show stopper issues.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 21:16   #189
Senior - BHPian

If it will be the primary car and used for outstation drives as well, I'd rule the Gypsy out since I am assuming your friend does not have ownership experience of something as bare-bones. Thar ticks most boxes here, next best option being Scorpio LX 4x4, assuming 4WD is a must.

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th July 2016 at 21:40.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 12:46   #190
BHPian

Hello everyone. I have a gypsy mpfi king soft top 2013 model in good mechanical condition. I have enhanced the looks but mechanically the car is stock. I use it as a weekend vehicle for travelling to nearby picnic spots with the family (4 of us), Sunday early morning drives on ghats and nearby villages. It is also used to carry 2 bicycles sometimes for cycling expeditions. Occasionally I do light off roading. I would like to participate in group off roading and events, but that is not possible for another 1- 2 years(family and work related issues) . However it’s getting quite long in the tooth and the family finds it quite uncomfortable, so we hardly use it on Sundays now. I have decided to upgrade to a new thar crde and make it a hard top with front facing rear seats and make the looks more appealing.
I had some doubts though:
I am used to bullet proof reliability and minimum downtime. My gypsy inspite of being so old has hardly been in the garage or given me any mechanical problems or niggles. Is the thar equally reliable? I don’t have time to take it to the garage again and again and there is no authorized m &m service centre in my city.
I plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years at least. My running will be about 4-5000 km per year. Will the thar be quite expensive to maintain as far as spares and repairs are concerned and will it last that long without giving any major problems?
I don’t see any other options as I need a comfortable suspension and a c. and power steering. Although the cost of the thar plus the modifications go way above my budget (7-8 lakhs) I don’t want to buy a second hand vehicle.
Any suggestions?
urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 18:52   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Moreover the LX is available only for Govt employees as per their website, only BS3 versions it seems.
Need to find the availability of the LX 4x4 as even in 2012 I was told by most of the dealers that it is only on Govt order. Just one dealer in Kolkata was ready to take the booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
I am used to bullet proof reliability and minimum downtime. My gypsy inspite of being so old has hardly been in the garage or given me any mechanical problems or niggles. Is the thar equally reliable? I don’t have time to take it to the garage again and again and there is no authorized m &m service centre in my city.
I don't think the Thar will be as reliable a gypsy in the long run.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:09   #192
BHPian

I am getting inclined towards buying a new gypsy. Even after all the modifications , hard top and fitting a c it still fits in my budget. I can live with the manual steering. Has anyone recently purchased a brand new gypsy ? I would love to know their experience.
Old 26th July 2016, 21:22   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting inclined towards buying a new gypsy. Even after all the modifications , hard top and fitting a c it still fits in my budget. I can live with the manual steering. Has anyone recently purchased a brand new gypsy ? I would love to know their experience.
Is a 3-yr old Gypsy really that old?

Anyways, you can read what I am going through with my Gypsy booking here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...1-3l-mpfi.html
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 22:38   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Is a 3-yr old Gypsy really that old?

Anyways, you can read what I am going through with my Gypsy booking here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...1-3l-mpfi.html
I am so sorry. It's a 2003 model ex police. My mistake.
Old 27th July 2016, 05:22   #195
BHPian

Quote:
I had booked my hardtop Gypsy (White) in last week of December, 2015 & the vehicle was delivered by end of second week of January this year. I had put down Rs. 50,000 as advance payment & the balance was paid at the time of delivery. The entire transaction was very smooth.

Please talk to your local dealer in regards to waiting time as I’m given to understand the waiting period currently is approximately 2 to 3 months.

I think as long as you opt for the white colour you should be okay.

Most Viewed