Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 23:23   #121
Team-BHP Support

Dilemma over! Gypsy wins this round.

So while the discussion of fan continues, for me decision making happened a lil while back

5.99 ex showroom Thar is Out! Would rather spent another 30k and get a brand new Gypsy on the road for my offroad vehicle. I have been warned not to sell DwArF and i will take that advice for now. Already enrolled him for some work.

So why Gypsy?
  • It is going to be a full on offroad vehicle more than a daily driver
  • Usage is going to be max of 8-10 k kms a year. Does not matter diesel or petrol
  • For low end grunt i prefer a crawler gear set. Easy, clean, tried and tested swap
  • Pretty decent refinement for the long highway commutes and our highways are improving day by day. Only in Leh i might be overtaken by a Thar. But thats ok, i would rather enjoy the scenery there.
  • Cheap parts, good service
  • Amazing mod options for future and flexibility of the base platform
  • Looks flimsy but mechanicals built like a tank
  • Decent customer service. Its been 2 weeks and i have not even heard from M&M on my online request. MUL called and guided me with dealership and dealer also contacted in a similar time frame!
  • No IFS dilemma
  • Fit and finish is much better, though archaic
  • I save 70 grand at the least! In this day of increasing price and interests. It really matters for a salaried person like me.

Anyways right now i am focussing on DwArF. Very honestly Thar was a big dream went phusss for me personally. I will wait couple of months more to see if i get any reliable news about a Jimny or MUL version of Jumny, though i have very low hopes. If not Gypsy it is, and wish me luck to get my bank balance good enough for this at the earliest.

Thanks a ton everyone, especially the ones including Behram, Khan, GTO, DKG et all who dissuaded me from even thinking of selling my lil DwArF.

Please continue with fan or not.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th January 2011 at 23:30.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 03:53   #122
BHPian

Re: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Spike,

The gain is the ability to run cooler or cool down faster, especially in very slow and hot situations.

A minor gain will be drag caused by the VC fan.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,
I think you meant to say A minor loss will be drag caused by the VC fan.
Anyway is running an engine cooler a good thing? I thought running the engine in a definite temperature ( which is different for different engines) is best as that way it runs more efficiently. I think that running a engine cooler than that has it's own problem like burning more fuel, running rough, polluting more, depositing more carbon on valves etc etc.
I might be wrong.
Please share your opinion.
Old 6th January 2011, 08:11   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.

Jaggu - Gypsy is a good choice and I assure you that with the right seats and a 2" shackle lift all around you will find it to be comfortable on the road as well. Right now I am in touch with Volvo to give me a sample of their sprung driver's seat to see if it can be fit in the Gypsy. Since I have raised the body, I can even do floor mods to accomodate the suspension box. This will make it ULTRA comfortable.
Old 6th January 2011, 08:18   #124
BANNED

Good decision JK!You will never regret with the Gypsy!

I'm sure you have now confused many potential THAR buyers.

Lets see if Jimny will be launched!
COUNSEL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 11:04   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't care whether you buy the Thar or the Gypsy. Am just glad that your CJ3B is staying. What's even better, you've sent her to the shop for some work. Congrats on a great decision

P.S. We will soon have 3 SWB Jeeps & 2 modified Gypsies in the Mod Team!
Old 6th January 2011, 11:18   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
Hi Arka,
I think you meant to say A minor loss will be drag caused by the VC fan.
Anyway is running an engine cooler a good thing? I thought running the engine in a definite temperature ( which is different for different engines) is best as that way it runs more efficiently. I think that running a engine cooler than that has it's own problem like burning more fuel, running rough, polluting more, depositing more carbon on valves etc etc.
I might be wrong.
Please share your opinion.
Hi Sinhsha,

I meant a minor gain in switching to a Conventional Fan over a VC Fan, will be the drag caused by the VC Fan.

Running an engine cooler is useful in low speed-hi RPM situations, and in places where the ambient temp. is considerably higher.

Because the engine will reach the optimum temp. quickly, since the cooling capacity is enhanced it will not overheat as much, also it will cool down faster.

A simple mod to achieve that is to increase the dia of the by pass vent/hole in the thermostat, or make another one of the same dia.

Regards,

Arka
Old 6th January 2011, 11:23   #127
BANNED

Is there any showroom in Bangy who provide a Gypsy test drive?
Old 6th January 2011, 11:31   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Is there any showroom in Bangy who provide a Gypsy test drive?
I really dont think so, if you want a TD, catch hold of one of the offroaders and beg plead and cry instead. But MUL does a good job with customer query, though it took few days, they called me back and gave all the right information that i was looking for.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:39   #129
BANNED

@JK: Can you please answer few more doubts!

1. Is the Gypsy now available Euro-4 or is it Thar Mdi types?
2. Are the mechanical spares easily available?
3. Will any MASS service the Gypsy?
4. How exactly is the booking process? Made to order?
5. How expensive are the spares compared to M&M?
Old 6th January 2011, 12:00   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
1. Is the Gypsy now available Euro-4 or is it Thar Mdi types?
2. Are the mechanical spares easily available?
3. Will any MASS service the Gypsy?
4. How exactly is the booking process? Made to order?
5. How expensive are the spares compared to M&M?
1) Yes 6.28 OTR for soft top in BLR for BS4 IIRC
2) Yes
3) 99% yes
4) Book and wait, production happens on and off mostly based on armed forces demand and your vehicle will come out of that same line.
5) Spares are very reasonable, only few body panels are damn expensive, since they are still imported SGP parts
Old 6th January 2011, 12:13   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@jaggu:

If the Thar MDI was available with a 75 to 90 bhp BSIV compliant engine, would you have considered that over the Gypsy?

I have pretty much ruled out the Thar CRDe. Now, I am toying whether buy MDI or build a custom off-roader from Scratch starting with an RC Book...

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th January 2011 at 12:14.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:29   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@jaggu:

If the Thar MDI was available with a 75 to 90 bhp BSIV compliant engine, would you have considered that over the Gypsy?

I have pretty much ruled out the Thar CRDe. Now, I am toying whether buy MDI or build a custom off-roader from Scratch starting with an RC Book...
I am not very sure about MDi, last one i drove with that engine was invader's but am not very sure i am ok with that kind of refinement in a diesel (long drives). If the new ones are more refined and make the kind of figure's you mentioned, i would definitely take a look before deciding.

Good part is that engine, its like bullet proof
Old 6th January 2011, 12:29   #133
Senior - BHPian

So Jaggu Bhai, is it time to lock the thread or is there still a faint chance for you to switch to THAR (MDi/CRDe) provided some changes are done
Old 6th January 2011, 12:33   #134
Team-BHP Support

No Thar right now, isnt it clear? But Jimny has a fair chance ie if it comes lol Not locking right now, but maybe in a day or two.
Old 6th January 2011, 19:20   #135
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma over! Gypsy wins this round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Less complicated
Any mech can help you with it almost anywhere.
Lesser parts inside the hood (point 1)
If you can clone it to spidey-2, it is on par/above par with a Thar-Crde (and have spoa )
You can do the spiti loop with out opening a 'can a thar do it' thread - Tanveers numerous queries about high altitude testing has no replies till date
Maruti Vs Mahindra
Glad few of my inputs helped your thought process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So why Gypsy?

* It is going to be a full on offroad vehicle more than a daily driver
* Usage is going to be max of 8-10 k kms a year. Does not matter diesel or petrol
* For low end grunt i prefer a crawler gear set. Easy, clean, tried and tested swap
* Pretty decent refinement for the long highway commutes and our highways are improving day by day. Only in Leh i might be overtaken by a Thar. But thats ok, i would rather enjoy the scenery there.
* Cheap parts, good service
* Amazing mod options for future and flexibility of the base platform
* Looks flimsy but mechanicals built like a tank
* Decent customer service. Its been 2 weeks and i have not even heard from M&M on my online request. MUL called and guided me with dealership and dealer also contacted in a similar time frame!
* No IFS dilemma
* Fit and finish is much better, though archaic
* I save 70 grand at the least! In this day of increasing price and interests. It really matters for a salaried person like me
1) Where have the high altitude testing been answered? Only testers are the taxi xylo's and scorps in many of the travelogue pics...!!

2) The potential thar owners club should 'seriously' pool in funds and send Raju, Sankara and your new Prabu's guy to learn the thar and help the owners club going forward..!! Cant believe MUL responded to a query on a product that sold 264 units or 0.29% (Yes, i calculated ) of their Dec-10 sales..!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks