Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 14:43   #4411
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Though I am quite happy with my current Hercules ACT 110 hybrid, and have not even put it to complete use, the road bike bug has bit me.
Took a test ride of few road bikes over the Diwali weekend to get a feel and understand what is the configuration that I should be looking at.
Would urge you to try something with a carbon fork.

Maybe something used?

Also avoid Decathlon. VFM not withstanding, I find most of their offerings to be a tad cheap in terms of overall build etc.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 29th October 2019, 15:14   #4412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Would urge you to try something with a carbon fork.

Maybe something used?

Also avoid Decathlon. VFM not withstanding, I find most of their offerings to be a tad cheap in terms of overall build etc.
Yes, from my test ride the real benefit behind carbon forks was explicitly visible. And yes, I am keeping my eyes open for used deals too, but used road bikes are very rare on platforms like OLX.

I had a similar view about B'TWIN bikes, but the fit and finish on their new Triban series has been upped by several notches and is really impressive now. I also found glowing reviews about the new Triban bikes from several reliable forums globally so I am pretty neutral as of now. Also, since I am not in a hurry, I can wait for good used bike deals to come by. Thank you for your inputs
Old 29th October 2019, 16:17   #4413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...but used road bikes are very rare on platforms like OLX.
There is a FB group called CYCLOPS. This is a market place for cyclists where you can find lots of used bikes and accessories. If you are not in a hurry, you could join this group and keep an eye for good deals.
Old 29th October 2019, 16:43   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
I came back much impressed experience from the Triban, than even the big names in cycling world! At 35k, it presents stellar value for money.

I have requested for the right frame size with the Decathlon store, and possibly get a longer test ride and then finalize my choice. Any other good options in the price range that I should check-out?
If you were impressed with the Triban and are not bothered by the VFM tag associated with Decathlon, just go for it. I'm yet to find a Decathlon product that has failed to impress me. Merida used to be VFM some time back but they have become relatively expensive now. There is Polygon which is a tad cheaper than Merdia. They are still expensive compared to Decathlon bikes but are aesthetically pleasing with smooth welded frames and internal cable routing.
Old 29th October 2019, 19:38   #4415
BANNED

Second that. Decathlon products are boring, good quality (except the entry level bikes they are getting manufactured by Hero) , well serviced and VFM.

OTOH, Polygon bikes are beautiful and VFM. If you get to the right dealer, can bargain a good price.
Have bikes from both (besides KHS that had bought when it was also VFM)
Old 30th October 2019, 12:50   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
Also this has spurred my interest in road bike. Do you think it is too soon to consider a road bike ? What sort of conditioning should I have to consider buying a road bike. Also how to go about trying a road bike ? I have never driven one around.
Hello fellow Bhpians. Any advice for me?

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 19:21. Reason: Quote trimmed. Post fixed.
Old 30th October 2019, 15:36   #4417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Buy a road bike.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 19:22. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
Old 30th October 2019, 16:45   #4418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do it. Buy the road bike. 4 years ago when I got into cycling I was toying between hybrid and roadie. Went for a roadie and thank god for that. Would have just wasted money on a hybrid if I had to upgrade soon after.

My first roadie is still going strong and it has taken me 4 years to buy a second bike. Did not feel the need till now.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 19:22. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
Old 30th October 2019, 16:50   #4419
Senior - BHPian

What about comfort? I find my Hybrid extremely comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Do it. Buy the road bike. 4 years ago when I got into cycling I was toying between hybrid and roadie. Went for a roadie and thank god for that. Would have just wasted money on a hybrid if I had to upgrade soon after.
My first roadie is still going strong and it has taken me 4 years to buy a second bike. Did not feel the need till now.
Old 30th October 2019, 19:06   #4420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
What about comfort? I find my Hybrid extremely comfortable.
I shifted to a roadie 1500 km back. After over 10,000+ on my hybrid. Honestly there is no comparison. A roadie is way more comfortable and effortless and way less fatiguing. Not to mention a lot faster, and climbs better.

The only issue is your core which needs to be a lot stronger for the riding position. Nothing that Kms on the bike and a few plank holds a day cannot quickly take care of, provided the fit is good and you don't have some other pathology somewhere causing an imbalance or pain.

Cheers, Doc
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:15   #4421
BHPian

Hi guys, which is the best place to service road bikes in Hyderabad. Mine is a Fuji 1.3 2013 model. It has been gathering dust for almost 3 years now. Also the I think there is bend in the crankset. Chain slippage happens when I try to go faster.

Also any advice on cycles for 3 and half year old girl. See a lot of new brands in the market for kids. Any recommendations

Thanks
Rahul
Old 3rd November 2019, 23:59   #4422

Greetings Cyclists,

I am looking for help. I am thinking of getting started with cycling,
as I am 38 years old, 5 ft 9 inches and weigh 88 kgs and quite not sure how to select the perfect cycle for me, budget is not a significant concern.

Need inputs on followings,
The right method of choosing the adequately sized cycle for my height and weight, I know I can ride and check, but I am not sure if I can select the perfect sized cycle just with a round of trial.
Any suggested brand/models.
Any other thing I have missed
I have Firefox bike station nearby me with Trek bicycles stocked up as well.

Cheers, Parvinder
Old 5th November 2019, 16:24   #4423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Any recommendations?
The Bike Affair bike shop in Hyd is a good place for road bike service.

For your daughter, try the Frog kids bikes. You can check their website out for the finer details as to why I'm recommending them. They're slightly on the costlier side but really good. They're usually available with good cycle dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4X4 View Post
I am looking for help. I am thinking of getting started with cycling,
as I am 38 years old, 5 ft 9 inches and weigh 88 kgs and quite not sure how to select the perfect cycle for me, budget is not a significant concern.
Sizing and fit will be best checked at the Firefox/Trek cycle store. They'll help you with it. A hybrid bike will work well. There's some deals on Trek FX3 (check Trek India website). The same will be applicable in the store.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 19:24. Reason: Quotes trimmed. Please quote only relevant portions of posts.
Old 6th November 2019, 18:41   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4X4 View Post
Greetings Cyclists,
Need inputs on following
You can go through https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post2514011 and https://web.archive.org/web/20160318...php?f=3&t=3268 for starters. You will have to do a lot of googling as many of the links might be broken.
Old 6th November 2019, 19:37   #4425
BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed before on here but what do others feel about having a dedicated sub-forum for cycling on team-bhp instead of just one thread? There isn't a decent active Indian forum for cyclists as far as I know. This thread is quite active, but many queries are repetitive. While using the thread search can yield answers, the fact that identical beginner questions keep popping up perhaps point to the fact that a good content can be lost when everything gets posted on one thread. We already have the infra in place at team-BHP, so I wonder if this would be a good idea. I see two issues right away though: the first is to have consensus on whether a vehicle without engine power deserves a sub forum on a website which is all about motor heads and automotive vroom power . If we do, then the second would be to identify topics for the sub-forum and maintain the quality of threads which means more work for the mods. But I'm sure the cyclists on here would be more than happy to lend a helping hand for performing janitorial duties, if that helps team-bhp in becoming the go to place for the Indian cycling scene as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks