Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 15:24   #6406
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

One help / suggestion. I have ordered Bicycle handlebar stem from Decathlon and I find it is missing one screw. Since I am in my hometown, the nearby Decathlon store is 60 and 100KM away. Are these screws universal? Can I get one from local cycle shops?

The Bicycles thread-20210826_151354.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210826_151406.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210826_151413.jpg

p.s sorry for the shaky photos
Old 26th August 2021, 15:37   #6407
BHPian

take a sample to your local hardware shop . They will have it in stock. Any shop that sells unbrako allen screws
abhijit 2284 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:24   #6408
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone aware of light steel / aluminum / alloys based single speed (/seven speed) bikes for ladies? Something like Mach City - Ibike (W) 7 speed but lighter? Am brand agnostic so even local/Indian brand options that suit the requirement would work.

Trying to get a bike for my mom. A usual 21 speed hybrid / city bike from global brands would be overkill. Her current ride is a BSA Ladybird (~6 years old) which I have been asking her to upgrade since ages.
Old 27th August 2021, 12:34   #6409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Anyone aware of light steel / aluminum / alloys based single speed (/seven speed) bikes for ladies? Something like Mach City - Ibike (W) 7 speed but lighter? Am brand agnostic so even local/Indian brand options that suit the requirement would work.

Trying to get a bike for my mom. A usual 21 speed hybrid / city bike from global brands would be overkill. Her current ride is a BSA Ladybird (~6 years old) which I have been asking her to upgrade since ages.
Try this Ludhiana based brand Hi Bird.

I bought a cycle from them for my daughter after a lot of research.

It's a carbon copy of the Decathlon 7 speed white colored ladies bike. For all you know the frames are built in the same factory. And it comes with either a Sunrace or Shimano drivetrain.

I managed to get the Shimano though they clearly mention in the online order that you will be provided either based on availability.

Friction shifter for the rear. Works like a charm. Cost me around 7000 bucks at the time. This was 3 odd years ago.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th August 2021 at 12:39.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 13:03   #6410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Try this Ludhiana based brand Hi Bird.

I bought a cycle from them for my daughter after a lot of research.
Thanks - is there a site that a list of their cycles? Their website is a mess - no working link with bicycle products. Surprisingly Decathlon website is also not working for me since yesterday.

Btw I have a feeling I'll eventually gravitate towards Decathlon - something like this Btwin Riverside 1 Lady would be perfect IMO. Even though I'd prefer to get something like this Giant Flourish. Unfortunately the Giant option will never fly
Old 27th August 2021, 13:28   #6411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - is there a site that a list of their cycles? Their website is a mess - no working link with bicycle products. Surprisingly Decathlon website is also not working for me since yesterday.

Btw I have a feeling I'll eventually gravitate towards Decathlon - something like this Btwin Riverside 1 Lady would be perfect IMO. Even though I'd prefer to get something like this Giant Flourish. Unfortunately the Giant option will never fly
I bought the cycle from Amazon or Flipkart, one of the two. And through the website contacted their HQ and wrangled the Shimano deal (commitment) for dispatch.
Old 27th August 2021, 14:33   #6412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Found the photos of the unboxing and assembly ... it was actually in 2015.

The Bicycles thread-201507140001.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-201507140002.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-201507140003.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-201507140004.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-201507140005.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-201507140006-copy.jpeg
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 16:38   #6413
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Ah thanks. But I don't want to get her an MTB (ish looking bike). I know for us it doesn't make much of a difference, but I know the response I'll get if I show options like these to her
Old 29th August 2021, 21:21   #6414
BHPian

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase a gravel bike - would you know of good recommendations in under 50k INR? Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 31st August 2021, 13:06   #6415
BHPian

Need Suggestions on New Bicycle

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new bicycle for myself to be used for regular morning rides in & around Mumbai, purpose is the stay healthy & do activities outside of the 4 walls of a gym.

Looking for something that's not too expensive or complicated but will serve as a good starter bike from which i can upgrade a year later.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 31st August 2021, 13:28   #6416
BHPian

Re: Need Suggestions on New Bicycle

You need to first decide on the below factors:

1. Gear Vs Non Gear - Geared will be costly but would help you in slopes
3. Alloy Frame Vs Steel frame - Alloy frame would be light and would add to the cost
4. MTB or Hybrid or Road Bike - Road bike would be relatively costly as compared to the other two.

Best would be go to Decathlon and drive a few before making a decision.

There Bicycle thread is full of suggestions. Request you to go through the posts as there is already ample information.

If there is any specific clarification you need let us know and we would more than happy to answer those for you.

Last edited by sunbaj : 31st August 2021 at 13:33.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 01:33   #6417
BHPian

Quote:

Some months back arranged this bike for a lady friend- Firefox Karma.

Let me share some pros and cons.
Pros- It is somewhat light (alloy frame).
It is a 21 speed bike

Cons-
It has a somewhat mediocre suspension (Zoom). The suspension increases weight without much benefit.
It has Microshift derailleurs (this pandemic has stopped Shimano supplies).
The shifting is just about OK. On one of the cycling groups, somebody was discussing the shorter "life" of a Microshift derailleur vs a Shimano one.

So despite all of it, would I recommend it? Yes. There are very few good choices available for ladies in cycles.

Since you're looking for a 7s, try this one- Firefox Karma 7 speed
bugatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:03   #6418
Senior - BHPian

A friend is looking to change his 27.5*2.1 knobbies to something thinner.
Ralson 1.95 is available so is Maxxis in same size. He is looking for 1.75 which has been impossible to find. Any leads for the same please?

Also i am on a lookout for 48-36-24 Front Crankset, 8/9 speed shifter / Acera 8/9 speed rear derailleur and a 11-34 rear casette.

OUT OF STOCK is the standard response all over.
Old 4th September 2021, 00:22   #6419
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication

Need some help figuring the right disc brake pads for my MTB(Ninety One Shadowfax). It's my first disc brake equipped cycle and the pads are almost worn down after around 1000+ kms.

My pads kind of look like this.
The Bicycles thread-5c5e67e4f5a5bd0fc7b1b16a.jpg

However a simple search on Amazon throws up a wide variety of shapes that have me completely stumped as to how I select the right pad. The shapes look so much different kind of like the image below.
The Bicycles thread-choosing_the_best_mtb_disc_brake_pads.jpg

Any pointers would be great. I usually undertake DIY maintenance on my cycle as far as possible.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 6th September 2021, 02:07   #6420
Senior - BHPian

Bye bye Rockroder ST 540, welcome Trek DS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
After months of waiting, yesterday I spotted the Rockroder ST 540 in stock in size L and XL.
Attachment 2188873
Life with the ST 540 was short-lived. I never got comfortable with the double click required to shift from 1st to 2nd in the front, and the chain used to rub the front derailleur in many positions. The decathlon mechanic adjusted it, but still, I was not very happy.
I was still checking with the nearby shops on the availability of any MTB in size L without much luck. During one such visit, a salesperson casually mentioned that they might have a cancellation on a pre-booked Trek Dual Sport 2. I left my number and asked him to call me if that materializes but didn't have much hope since the owner was not very forthcoming. Luckily, I got a call the next day itself and I immediately went and picked up the bike, thanking my stars since all decent brands are claiming 3-4 months waiting. Since the DS2 was one of my earlier shortlists, I didn't mind it not being a proper MTB. For most moderate trials and Bangalore roads (whatever is left), it works well. Thanks to Decathlon's 90-day return window, I could return the old cycle without any issue.

Bye-bye ST 540
The Bicycles thread-img_20210824_171511.jpg

Hello DS 2
The Bicycles thread-img_20210904_131218__01__01.jpg
Jaguar is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks