Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 11:07   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by guha_2001 View Post
Hello everyone

Posting this on behalf of a friend who is keen on purchasing a used Honda Accord V6.

He has narrowed down on a V6 Jan 2005 vehicle with about 40,000 KM in Karnataka. He had some questions on Accords in general and this specific vehicle. Listing them below..

- The owner is asking 5.2 L. It seems to be on higher side , what would be a reasonable price ?

- Further during the test drive the air bag indicator was red. Is this a big problem? Can he go ahead even though the air bag warning is on?

- The FE will be around 5.5 - 6, is this figure correct or will it be even lesser ?

- Anything else to check/keep in mind in terms of cost/repair?

Would be very helpful if you can share your thoughts on this
1. 5.2 lakhs is on the higher side for a 9 year old V6. I've seen ads of a mumbai based 2004 V6 with an asking price of as low as 2.5 Lakhs. I'd say anything within 4 - 4.5 lakhs.

2. You'll have to get that checked. Either the light is faulty or the airbag. The latter will set you back by a tidy sum.

3. The fuel economy within the city should be around 5-6 kmpl.

Check the suspension, brakes and condition of tyres. Obtain the complete service records from the service center, will help to ensure there hasn't been any odo tampering. Just 40k kms in 9 years is worth verifying. Get the car hooked to an OBD analyzer. Will help to ascertain any problem areas if any.
Old 3rd November 2014, 03:03   #452
BHPian

Hello all,

I've rounded down on a Corolla 04' model which has done about 108k kilometers and has a full service history and a single owner. The car is the top model with auto air con, dual airbags. Getting it from a dealer for 2.2 lakh incl insurance and transfer and a service at toyota since the dealer is opposite the showroom.

My daily usage will be minimal, I am more of a motorcyclist than a car guy, however a car is needed at certain times and I do not like to borrow my dad's car anytime its needed. I'll be doing around 10k kms an year at most, and I don't mind spending on petrol.

Things I've checked :-

Engine bay for damages, leaks and repair jobs.
Fluid levels for brake, coolant, oil.
Tyres & Brake pads
Underbody of the car for any damages/scrapes
Electricals such as headlamps, indicators, brake lights, power windows, auto ac and modes, stereo only tested for radio since it plays only cd and cassete.
Full service history, car has been serviced all its life at one dealership.
Paint has faded on this car at places and touch up jobs can be seen for minor scratches.

After a drive about of 10 kms
- Car is very very quiet. No rattling sound heard at all, even while going over speed humps.
- Suspension is very good and the car handles like I expect it to. No strange noise heard at all while going over ramblers at 30-40 kmph
- Steering does not pull anywhere and the car continues to travel in a straight line.
- Gearshifts are the same as any other corolla, just not used to it.
- Car accelerates like it does have 125 hp.

I've landed on this car after going through several cars. The only -ve about this car is that it will need a repaint as the paint on the car is faded at places, not sure why has it faded. I'm willing to shell out for a new paintjob once I find the car satisfactory after a month or so of ownership.

Is there anything that I've missed out on ?

General things observed while scouting for cars.
- I've not come across a single car that was good which had multiple owners ( 3 or more )

- Most cars fitted with CNG kits that I encountered were really horrid and they smelled quite unpleasant. Also most of these CNG fitted cars weren't taken care of very well.

- Dealers trying to push you a deal irrespective of your criteria of buying are the ones you have to be extra careful in scrutinizing a car.

- Cars with mods are not even worth looking at. Came across an absolute pathetic example of an OHC which was modded to look like a rally car and had a CNG kit in it

- The car about which the dealers gives you info without hesitation is probably going to be in the shortlist of the cars you might want to buy.

- Maruti Suzuki has the best resale value even for the badly taken care of examples of cars they sell.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-meme7657403502.jpg  

Last edited by Xeno : 3rd November 2014 at 03:23.
Xeno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:45   #453
BHPian

Although, this is fairly a good deal and Toyota is known for its reliability you should know that it is a 10 years old car. The price seemed more or less ok but you can haggle this down a bit. I would suggest you to get something that is comparitively newer like post 2007 makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Hello all,

I've rounded down on a Corolla 04' model which has done about 108k kilometers and has a full service history and a single owner. The car is the top model with auto air con, dual airbags. Getting it from a dealer for 2.2 lakh incl insurance and transfer and a service at toyota since the dealer is opposite the showroom.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th January 2015 at 02:23. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:01   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
Although, this is fairly a good deal and Toyota is known for its reliability you should know that it is a 10 years old car. The price seemed more or less ok but you can haggle this down a bit. I would suggest you to get something that is comparitively newer like post 2007 makes.
Yes, rightly said, however;

My budget is max 2.5l and I am looking only for petrol models which is a rarity post 2005. I do not want to go for a diesel since my usage will be very less.

This car was quoted at 2.9l and I brought it down to 2.10. Same examples are around 2-2.5l but I found none as well taken care of as this car with a complete history. Also most sedans in petrol have CNG kits in them which I'd like to stay away from.

The altis model I didn't find a single car below 3.5l in petrol.

The only other car I was considering was the Honda city but they seem to hold onto their value much better.
Old 20th November 2014, 16:15   #455
DOJ

Dear Friends,

I am contemplating purchase of a sedan / MUV and am currently evaluating various options - both new and second hand. One of them is a first owner driven Fiat Linea petrol Emotion Pack (2009 variant - model preceding T-Jet). It has been driven less (~13,000 kms on the ODO in these 5 years) due to frequent international trips of the owner and now he is keen to sell as the car is lying around with much of daily use.

I have driven the car once and there are a few small niggles like Horn not functional, left power window jammed, difficult shift from 2nd to 3rd gear etc. Driving it in traffic was good. Have to test it on the highways once. Also observed that under the hood seemed fine at first glance, excepting that the car may require a service once before usage. The gentleman is quoting a figure of Rs. 3.5 lakhs for the car but may be willing to negotiate.

I know that Fiat has a poor resale value, but other than that, is there any obvious fact that I am missing out here when checking out a used Linea. Any particulars I should be noting in the service history of the car. Also is a sparingly used car like Linea good for another 4-5 years assuming I commute in it for ~40kms daily after purchase. Finally if I should get it checked by a mechanic, is there any reliable Fiat showroom (from your experience) that I can take the car too for a look. I'm based out of Mumbai.

Any pointers / checklist to consider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 19:41   #456
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJ View Post
Dear Friends,

~13,000 kms on the ODO in these 5 years)

I have driven the car once and there are a few small niggles like Horn not functional, left power window jammed, difficult shift from 2nd to 3rd gear etc.

Also observed that under the hood seemed fine at first glance, excepting that the car may require a service once before usage. The gentleman is quoting a figure of Rs. 3.5 lakhs for the car but may be willing to negotiate.
Personally, I would stay away from such a sparingly used Linea. Not the best option IMHO.
Generally, sparingly used cars=trouble. You might have seen the tip of the iceberg.

Look for better options. Please mention your budget and needs clearly. One option I can think of is a used Honda city(Gen 2) at around INR 3 lakh. A slight stretch might get you a civic. Honda cars are generally very reliable and you shouldn't face problems in most cases.
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 09:06   #457
BHPian

Hi, I am looking at a used outlander. See 2 good options for now. A 2010 from Pune for under 9lac which I will be going to see today

The other is a good one from out of state. Guj regd 2011 model for 8lac. The Guj model looks more promising however not sure how easy it is to get it registered here in Pune. Do I hav to pay the tax there first? And then pay MH tax as well ? I am keen to change the regn to MH12. And can I buy guj regd one when I don't have an address there? How exactly does this work?

Pls help
Old 8th December 2014, 22:25   #458
BHPian

I have shortlisted a 2011 Honda City VMT (Manual Transmission) with 19,500 kms on the Odo. The engine is in perfect condition.

What needs attention is:

Front Suspension needs attention as it seems to have gone bad (just the dampers perhaps)
Small body damage all over the car (except roof). Will need to be dented & painted.
Tyres may hold a few kms more.

Will 50k be sufficient for the above works to be carried out so that I can negotiate the final price.
Old 9th December 2014, 08:28   #459
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I have shortlisted a 2011 Honda City VMT (Manual Transmission) with 19,500 kms on the Odo. The engine is in perfect condition.

What needs attention is:

Front Suspension needs attention as it seems to have gone bad (just the dampers perhaps)

Small body damage all over the car (except roof). Will need to be dented & painted.

Tyres may hold a few kms more.

Will 50k be sufficient for the above works to be carried out so that I can negotiate the final price.
2011 Honda City VMT (3 years) and just 20K on odo is surprising for me IMO.

With such a low odo click how did the owner damage the suspension?!

I am expecting a total damage (including painting + denting + suspension job) to be around 70-80K.

Are you going to repaint the whole car with a new colour or how is it are you planning to go about?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 12:20   #460
BHPian

Guys, Have a 2009 Oct Fiesta Petrol 1.6. Driven only by my dad in Blr.
Planning to replace the same with a hatchback for him. The car has done 53K and is in good condition. The interiors are fine and the exterior has a few scratches while reversing the car and a couple on the sides done by the neighbourhood kids.

Is 3.1 to 3.2 lakhs a reasonable price to expect?
Old 12th December 2014, 01:42   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I am expecting a total damage (including painting + denting + suspension job) to be around 70-80K.

Are you going to repaint the whole car with a new colour or how is it are you planning to go about?

Anurag.
Thanks, Anurag.

I do not intend to change the original colour of the car at all.

70-80k is a lot. Is this guesstimate for HASS or an independent garage? The whole car won't need a repaint, just the damaged areas. Boot is fine too.
Old 12th December 2014, 01:47   #462
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
70-80k is a lot. Is this guesstimate for HASS or an independent garage? The whole car won't need a repaint, just the damaged areas. Boot is fine too.
Recently got a fender painted of my Swift ZDi (Blue colour) which costed me Rs 3000 so a guesstimate of that amount of 70K.

If you are going repaint only the effected areas then costs won't be high but won't it look odd due to the paint shade difference in broad light?

Anurag.
Old 12th December 2014, 05:46   #463
Senior - BHPian

actually that sort of matches my usage too. I work from home so haven't ever driven to an office in the past twelve years. My kids school is hardly 2 km away. All the shopping we need is within walking distance. And so the car sees at the most a fifteen or twenty KM trip once or twice a month to visit relatives, go to a club meeting etc.

My current car has just over 3k on the clock in six months of owning it.

As for damaging the suspensi n it is easy enough - bad driver (like hire a call driver type for an occasional long highway trip) or bad roads, or both. All it takes is one hard impact at the wrong angle on a large pothole or speed bump.

Quote:

Anurag.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:34   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Recently got a fender painted of my Swift ZDi (Blue colour) which costed me Rs 3000 so a guesstimate of that amount of 70K.

If you are going repaint only the effected areas then costs won't be high but won't it look odd due to the paint shade difference in broad light?

Anurag.
Agreed, not patch painting but panel painting of course. I'm going to ask for an estimate from a couple of places at least. Suspension is a suspense too

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
actually that sort of matches my usage too. I work from home so haven't ever driven to an office in the past twelve years. My kids school is hardly 2 km away. All the shopping we need is within walking distance. And so the car sees at the most a fifteen or twenty KM trip once or twice a month to visit relatives, go to a club meeting etc.

My current car has just over 3k on the clock in six months of owning it.

As for damaging the suspensi n it is easy enough - bad driver (like hire a call driver type for an occasional long highway trip) or bad roads, or both. All it takes is one hard impact at the wrong angle on a large pothole or speed bump.
Yes, this car was driven once a week in a month. I guess it was totally the ability of the driver to make or break components. The suspension and body speaks for that but nothing to worry about thankfully.
Old 12th December 2014, 14:13   #465
Senior - BHPian

You had better find the nearest FNG (friendly neighborhood garage) recommended by TBHP members in your area and pay a mechanic there to eval the car, and give you an estimate for body denting and painting, suspension work and any other things that might be required. Go through the service manual of the car carefully as well to note comments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks