Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:19   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even so, you should avoid buying a car in December; by waiting less than a month your car will be a year newer on paper.
I had read this thread before but now is the time I would be needing it the most. I have few questions here.

1. Why should I avoid buying in December? I know I'll get a car made in 2010 whereas in 30 days it will be 2011 but even if I decide to wait till Jan I'd still get 2010 model. The 2011 would start appearing only towards end of Feb or start of March which is 3 months wait.
2. How much is the road tax in Maharashtra? I think it is around 7%. I have read some posts that if one does registration by himself by visiting RTO in person, you can save a good amount of money. I have a quote from a dealer and the tax comes to 7.1%. The .1% which is about 700 rupees is I think his commission. I think it okay to pay that much for saving my one day.
3. I live in a rented apartment but the agreement is not registered. Since a registered agreement is not there, is there a way to register the car using any other resident proofs?
4. What are the insurance companies I should consider? I intend to buy insurance from outside.

Thanks!
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:52   #92
BHPian

If one is planning to keep the car for a long time (say 5+ years), I would think buying in december would be a good option as you can get good deals like free insurance and freebies. Just my 2 cents!
Old 27th December 2010, 14:25   #93
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

My few cents for anyone buying a new car:-

1) How has the Manufacturer fared in the last 5-10 years? [Toyota, Honda, Maruti Suzuki have a name for themselves. VW has a name internationally, if not in India.]

2) Wait for a minimum of one year before buying a newly launched car.
Basics of Automobile industry,no matter how good the manufacturer is. A good car can be accurately judged only after getting reviews from people in 1-2 years or 30 to 40k kms. Moreover even for a manufacturer the first year is an ‘actual’ trial period in ‘real conditions’ in the general market. So 1 year down the lane they will be releasing a newer version of the car with ‘fixes’. Has happened with almost all cars in India. No one can design a perfect car for Indian conditions to say the least. It could be an issue with wiper or an issue with the brake pads. Could be anything!!!

3) Is there a 'classic' (or hit model) stuff from the Manufacturer as yet?
[Honda (City, Civic), Toyota (Qualis, Innova) have always clicked. Maruti has 800, Zen, Esteem, Wagon R, Swift etc. Tata has NONE.]

4) How is the service network?
[Maruti wins hands down. Tata is catching up. Toyota and Honda are always good enough. VW yet to jugde.]

5) If you have a friend who has taken 'that' car, he could be a good judge. Ask him!
[For eg. The Ford Fiesta has done well in the last few years. Yet the fact is that it is 'Ford'. so its not that one shouldn't go for the Fiesta. Fiesta is too good.]

6) Availability of spares.
[Maruti wins again. Toyota and Honda spare parts costs higher but their parts don't fail much]. Also suppose you are on a long trip and at some remote village you have a breakdown. Maruti will surely get you a spare and a mechanic. For a a brand like Ford you 'might' have to take a bus to the next town to get the spare!!

7) Cost of service.
[Even a 'diesel’ Maruti car goes for service for around 3-4k Rs. Compare this with the car in your contention. Toyota's and Honda's cost more but their service intervals are bigger and have lower failure rate.]

8) Build quality.
[Toyota, VW, Honda win. Maruti is falling in build quality, Tata is improving.]

9) Engine
[Honda, Toyota, Suzuki engines have always been too good. VW should be relieable and durable.]. Same engine used by two car manufacturers doesn't mean they are equally good. It is only the technology that us shared. Rest is all with the manufacturer. Levels of refinement, components used, overall performance, durability - all rests with the Manufacturer on how he develops the engine. Sole example is how Swift diesel performs much much better than the same engined Punto/Vista. If you look into the recent past, also note the Tata Indica had used the 1.2 Ltr MPFi petrol engine from the Fiat, but still it remains one of the cars with the highest failures from Tata! Fiat call it 'Fire', Tata call it Saffire! ECU, exhaust systems, filters, transmission, suspension .. all play a part.

10) Price and waiting period
[Yes a major factor, but keep in mind that buying a car is a huge investment, DO NOT try to save a mere thousands and loose a better car.]

11) Do not go by Features offered.
[Manufactures give more features when their car's don't sell. Keep that in mind. Conversely, when a car sells, offers are less. This is market strategy.But then if you look at the market you can see that ‘class’ manufacturers never give offers or good prices (atleast not at a low price) . For eg: not many features are offered in the Polo or the Etios but we can see ‘only’ offers in a Tata car! So rest you can imagine why! ]

12) Longevity of the Car
[Honda and Toyota have the highest resale value. Reason is obvious, the durability of their engines and their cars. Same is the case with Maruti. Even a 10+ year old Maruti car runs without much fuss when compared to others like the Korean Hyundai, Ford, Chevrolet or the Tata]. So if you are looking to keep a car for long, keep that in mind.

Lastly, buying a car requires a lot of research and time. Do NOT jump into it

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 27th December 2010 at 14:36.
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:31   #94
BANNED

Quote:
[Manufactures give more features when their car's don't sell. Keep that in mind.
False. Some top sellers(not variants) were launched with the full list of features.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:57   #95
BHPian

5) If you have a friend who has taken 'that' car, he could be a good judge. Ask him!

Agreed but not always since the friend may not necessarily be an expert but can always give you a very honest to earth view on the performance of the car.

The day 2 functionality is very critical as you have rightly said Sam since this is where Maruti has come on Tops always unfailingly (Uno-Fiat or Palio when launched lacked this feature and so did Opel- Astra a good engg peice)

Rgds
Durga
Old 25th January 2011, 10:59   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
My few cents for anyone buying a new car:-

1) How has the Manufacturer fared in the last 5-10 years? [Toyota, Honda, Maruti Suzuki have a name for themselves. VW has a name internationally, if not in India.]
What about Hyundai? They have done great, in India as well as internationally.

Quote:
3) Is there a 'classic' (or hit model) stuff from the Manufacturer as yet?
[Honda (City, Civic), Toyota (Qualis, Innova) have always clicked. Maruti has 800, Zen, Esteem, Wagon R, Swift etc. Tata has NONE.]
What about the Santro or Ikon? If Wagon R and 800 are classics, so is the first tall boy or driver centric car in India.

Quote:
4) How is the service network?
[Maruti wins hands down. Tata is catching up. Toyota and Honda are always good enough. VW yet to jugde.]
Again, no mention of Hyundai.

Quote:
[For eg. The Ford Fiesta has done well in the last few years. Yet the fact is that it is 'Ford'. so its not that one shouldn't go for the Fiesta. Fiesta is too good.]
As somebody else already mentioned, this does not always yield the desired result. How many people will openly admit that "I've made a mistake"? And most of the people are not qualified enough to comment on the car they own. Eg: My manager who owns a Swift for the past 4 years, doesn't know how to open the bonnet. And somebody's perfect car may not fit my requirements.

Quote:
6) Availability of spares.
[Maruti wins again. Toyota and Honda spare parts costs higher but their parts don't fail much]. Also suppose you are on a long trip and at some remote village you have a breakdown. Maruti will surely get you a spare and a mechanic. For a a brand like Ford you 'might' have to take a bus to the next town to get the spare!!
Another clever omission of Hyundai.

Quote:
7) Cost of service.
[Even a 'diesel’ Maruti car goes for service for around 3-4k Rs. Compare this with the car in your contention. Toyota's and Honda's cost more but their service intervals are bigger and have lower failure rate.]
Wrong again. The Ford Figo spares are cheaper than the Swift. There was also a thread based on this.

Quote:
8) Build quality.
[Toyota, VW, Honda win. Maruti is falling in build quality, Tata is improving.]
Again, no mention of the the Koreans. Atleast, they are leagues ahead of Maruti.

Quote:
9) Engine
[Honda, Toyota, Suzuki engines have always been too good. VW should be relieable and durable.].
Hyundai/Ford engines are not as far from reliable as mentioned. Again, there is no mention of them.

Quote:
10) Price and waiting period
[Yes a major factor, but keep in mind that buying a car is a huge investment, DO NOT try to save a mere thousands and loose a better car.]
Sam, you could have directly told, book a Swift or DZire and don't book a Figo or Etios or Manza.

Quote:
[Manufactures give more features when their car's don't sell.]
If Maruti does not feature any features, they cannot be blamed, right? Then what to do? Good sellers like Figo and i20 can be named like "Cars selling only because of features". Come on, the above mentioned cars were launched with these features and not added later because they were not selling.

Quote:
12) Longevity of the Car
[Honda and Toyota have the highest resale value. Reason is obvious, the durability of their engines and their cars. Same is the case with Maruti. Even a 10+ year old Maruti car runs without much fuss when compared to others like the Korean Hyundai, Ford, Chevrolet or the Tata]. So if you are looking to keep a car for long, keep that in mind.

Lastly, buying a car requires a lot of research and time. Do NOT jump into it
I strongly disagree with your statement. Ask the owners of each brand.

Lastly, I thoroughly enjoyed your suggestions. Even Maruti could not have come up with a better advertisement for them.
Old 16th February 2011, 20:01   #97
BHPian

Hi, senior bhpians I need your help. I have booked a Ford Figo after comparing quotes from Talera Ford and Planet Ford. I am buying a non octroi diesel titanium variant. Talera quoted me 544600 whereas Planet Ford quoted 548200. I asked Planet Ford to match Talera Ford price and give me some free accessories, to which they agreed. Now the problem is the booking form did not contain any price details. The SA just wrote this price and accessories details on the back of the customer copy of booking form. Is this safe or should I get this on dealers' letterhead? I worry that on delivery day he should not come up with his quotation and demand his price. Bhpians please advise. Thanks!
Old 17th February 2011, 15:02   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Now the problem is the booking form did not contain any price details. The SA just wrote this price and accessories details on the back of the customer copy of booking form. Is this safe or should I get this on dealers' letterhead? I worry that on delivery day he should not come up with his quotation and demand his price. Bhpians please advise. Thanks!
Hi shipnil,
I too am newbie at team-bhp, but l feel you should ask the dealer to offer some reliable promise rather than on back of the booking form.
Wish you good luck.
Old 18th February 2011, 19:29   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shipnil,

Good catch! The SA's scribbling on the back of a paper has zero value. Ask him to give you a formal quote and / or invoice, clearly specifying the mutually agreed amount.
Old 19th February 2011, 14:52   #100
BHPian

I have zeroed in on the ALTIS DIESEL (turbo lag etc. irrespective ) and have been doing my rounds with the dealers at Mumbai & Thane. Taking the team-bhp advise I am not planning to take dealer's finance nor insurance (i.e. if I can avoid taking it).

One more thing I would also NOT like to take from the dealer are accessories that are over and above those that are mandatory. My questions are -

1. Is there a price list for the accesories available for the D-4D. Have asked couple of dealers to send by email (thats how I received my qoutes) but they keep delaying it on one pretext or the other

2. What amount of a discount should I be expecting from the dealer. One of them (Millennium) offered me Rs 20K off. But it was on the understanding that I would be taking finance from them. Others want to meet me in person, offer and then close the deal - must be so that I wont have a chance to pitch their quote against the other.
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:46   #101

Sir, I was looking to buy a small car within the 3.5 -4 lacks range. And this budget includes all i,e it should be the on road price. I can't seem to make up my mind. Can you suggest cars in that price range and also the car that you suggest. It will mostly be used within city and no long or highway drives. Thank you and awaiting your response.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:00   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsteine View Post
Sir, I was looking to buy a small car within the 3.5 -4 lacks range. And this budget includes all i,e it should be the on road price. I can't seem to make up my mind. Can you suggest cars in that price range and also the car that you suggest. It will mostly be used within city and no long or highway drives. Thank you and awaiting your response.
P.S- Its got to be petrol engine.
Old 2nd March 2011, 05:06   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post

1. Is there a price list for the accesories available for the D-4D. Have asked couple of dealers to send by email (thats how I received my qoutes) but they keep delaying it on one pretext or the other
Here's the list I received from one of the dealers -
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Madhuban.pdf (54.7 KB, 694 views)
Old 10th March 2011, 07:37   #104
BHPian

Hello friends,

I have decided to buy a VISTA AURA ABS from TAFE ACCESS, Coimbatore, TN. But yesterday when i went to book the car the SA tells me only after the full amount is paid the car will be allotted to me. Is this the right procedure?

But i was lured to book the car yesterday cos even though TATA has withdrawn the first year insurance free (Rs.16271) offer and has come up with 10k consumer discount offer after the price hike the SA promised me that I'll get the insurance offer if booked yesterday.

The sad part is i did not get in writing regarding the offers (1st year insurance and cash discount of 4k). I have already paid 5k as advance booking amount .

All you gurus out there please suggest me on my next move.

Request to mods: Please move this thread to the appropriate segment if in case if have posted it in the wrong segment.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:03   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsteine View Post
Did you shortlist any cars? If you havent, you can consider the following cars:
1. Alto k10
2. Hyundai Santro
3. Chevrolet Spark
4. Hyundai i10 D-Lite

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks