Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 21:16   #181
Senior - BHPian

MP3Car.com - Your source for mobile computing solutions! would be the place to start researching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I have been thinking about Car PC for some time now. However 2 things which I must be able to perform (in addition to what all is already doable) with it are:
1. Advanced Audio processing and tuning
Should be possible if you can plug in a good sound card. But I am not sure if the CarPC mother boards support your regular sound cards.

Quote:
2. Manage engine and Turbo charger stuff - I intend to turbo charge my car and I would hate to add those additional physical gauges sticking out in your face...I would want my carputer to handle them too...
Pple have got A/C climate controls setup using their CarPC, gauges shouldnt be that difficult. Only problem you will face is sourcing these parts in India and getting it fixed if you are not into DIY

BTW, what car are you planning to TC?
Old 8th November 2007, 13:42   #182
BHPian

Quote:
I agree in (and around) Bangalore, connectivity wise BSNL is the best followed by Airtel. TataIndicom is worst.
I have been thinking about Car PC for some time now. However 2 things which I must be able to perform (in addition to what all is already doable) with it are:
1. Advanced Audio processing and tuning
2. Manage engine and Turbo charger stuff - I intend to turbo charge my car and I would hate to add those additional physical gauges sticking out in your face...I would want my carputer to handle them too...
I use the Tata Indicom v-data card, its ok if you really want net access. Its good for updates etc.

If you want to really get good audio control then you can take the digital audio out of the PC and into an external sound processor, you can take your pick and figure out how much you want to spend/control.

Managing the engine etc is not really too practical. You will need to replace the ECU with one that can accept writes. For the turbo charger etc i am assuming these are aftermarket add-ons, you can control anything as long as you can connect it to the computer in some way. Easiest is USB, otherwise you can either look for a custom interface or make one using the serial or parallel ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Should be possible if you can plug in a good sound card. But I am not sure if the CarPC mother boards support your regular sound cards.
Car PC motherboards are not specific to CarPCs, they are standard motherboards which are basically smaller and use less power etc. They use most standard PC equipment and fitting extra cards should not be a problem, if your cabinet can support it. For example, in my motherboard there are slots but i cant use them unless i use low profile cards or a bigger case. You can also use adapters that let you install the cards parallel to the motherboard and not perpendicular.

cheers.
Old 9th November 2007, 03:05   #183
BHPian

Carupter

Ankur
Can you pls give us a detail of the cost incurred on the complete setup since a lot of us have made a mental decision but the econom- ics and the scale may just tilt the scale. Also the install is so clean, we would need a ref to the installer as well.
Old 9th November 2007, 15:48   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
I do have OBD installed but it doesnt really work, it seems that Toyota has a locked implementation on the Innova and i havent really gotten into the details yet. So its installed and connects but doesnt really get any info.
Oh no. I have got the Carman ready to go. And a bad news like that is a bummer Did you happen to speak to Toyota service center folks? Looks like we have to steal a copy of their OBD software from them. I wonder when ISO standards are available why Toyota would implement something proprietary ... does other models like Corolla/Camry have the same problem?

Kousik
Old 9th November 2007, 16:51   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
Ankur
Can you pls give us a detail of the cost incurred on the complete setup since a lot of us have made a mental decision but the econom- ics and the scale may just tilt the scale. Also the install is so clean, we would need a ref to the installer as well.
Please go through the thread from the beginning and both the costs as well as the installer will be clear .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Oh no. I have got the Carman ready to go. And a bad news like that is a bummer Did you happen to speak to Toyota service center folks? Looks like we have to steal a copy of their OBD software from them. I wonder when ISO standards are available why Toyota would implement something proprietary ... does other models like Corolla/Camry have the same problem?
Dont worry about it yet, try it. It just might work. I havent spoken to Toyota about it as i dont think they will be too helpful in this matter. The standards are not really standards, mfrs do make their own changes. AND the interface you have does make a diff to whether the solution works or not. Mine doesnt but yours might, connect it to a laptop or something and try out before you really install it on the car pc.

cheers.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2008 at 13:18.
Old 9th November 2007, 16:59   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please go through the thread from the beginning and both the costs as well as the installer will be clear .
Crisp and to the point reponse pal !

by the way your setup really rocks !
Old 9th November 2007, 18:08   #187
BHPian

My Mistake, Didnt go through the begining Thoroughly,

However this setup has been with you since a long time now,
Any probs with the HW or Centrafuse or with the OS since this setup has seen the extremeties of the weather in north india (assuming that you were in extreme weathers then and what are the nuances it has displayed

Regards
Old 12th November 2007, 13:36   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
Any probs with the HW or Centrafuse or with the OS since this setup has seen the extremeties of the weather in north india (assuming that you were in extreme weathers then and what are the nuances it has displayed
None whatsoever.
cheers.
Old 5th December 2007, 17:32   #189
BHPian

ok guys,,really require yr help on this,,i need software kinda like toyota's certra fuse, for safari dicor,and some way to interface the ecu to my pc so that i can finaly do something worthfull with the pc lol
Old 5th December 2007, 19:51   #190
BHPian

by the way if anyones following up with this topic, i am building a K-PC myself,lol,,but budget style.I am currently trying to get a pwer supply made from existing old ups.
Currently my specs,cost and progess is:
Mother board+CPU : D201GLYL with Celeron 1.33Ghz with Audio,Lan and
Video on board. Cost 3420/-
RAM : 1gb DDR3
Chassis : Custom Build
Power Supply: Broken down Mercury UPS (Still testing)

wish me luck guys
Old 6th December 2007, 14:03   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
by the way if anyones following up with this topic, i am building a K-PC myself,lol,,but budget style.I am currently trying to get a pwer supply made from existing old ups.

wish me luck guys
Be VERY careful, you might end up with a burnt car if you dont know what you are doing with power supplies.

Centrafuse does not have any connection to Toyota or for that matter any car company. I have simply designed my own skin to suit my car and illumination. Search for Centrafuse and you can then try the software before you buy it, its not free. As for your ECU, you will need to ask the Tata workshop if the ECU has a an OBD connector and what standard does it use. You may run into the same issue i have, my ECU though connected to the computer doesnt give any info, its locked.

cheers.
Old 9th December 2007, 01:36   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post

wish me luck guys
Don't forgett to give us a look once you are done.
Old 10th December 2007, 00:13   #193
Senior - BHPian

nc1bad,
you have kind of snatched my car pc project.
i am juts doing the same now since my old pc is fetching me peanuts in exchange so decided to conver t to full car entertaintment system. motherboard is a mATX with amd athlon 3000+ , 40gb HD,4 sata ports, 2gb ddr1 ram. for the enclosure decided to use that aluminium school box ( easy to make holes and slots). logitek trackball mouse. a rubberized keypad stored out of view.
power supply from a ups with battery removed and seeing if i put in a 300w smps. when i get time for next lamington road visit wii look out for dc -dc kits and startup and shutdown controllers.
no headace option is to buy power supply forn "iride" for 4.5k.
planning a normal screen lcd of 6" with vga connection, since touch screen is not in budget presently. saw a 7" for 4.2k but it is not very easy to mount it in a baleno console without being seen all the time. a sony 4 channel will power the speakers. a tv tuner card with fm will be integrated with windows media center.
hard disk will be in a foam support for absorbing shocks.
do let me know about the working voltage of mercury ups circuitry( have a dead battery unit at friends place) does the control card require anyother voltage other than 12vdc?. i am planning to open up a powersafe.
project is on hold since my next pc laptop or desktop next???

Last edited by gigy : 10th December 2007 at 00:18. Reason: speklling mistakes
Old 10th December 2007, 23:20   #194
BHPian

thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Be VERY careful, you might end up with a burnt car if you dont know what you are doing with power supplies.

Centrafuse does not have any connection to Toyota or for that matter any car company. I have simply designed my own skin to suit my car and illumination. Search for Centrafuse and you can then try the software before you buy it, its not free. As for your ECU, you will need to ask the Tata workshop if the ECU has a an OBD connector and what standard does it use. You may run into the same issue i have, my ECU though connected to the computer doesnt give any info, its locked.

cheers.
hey thanks for the heads up,i have been testing it on a 12 volt alternator,its taking the load,but will install the same only after runnin tests on actual car battery
Old 10th December 2007, 23:28   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
nc1bad,
you have kind of snatched my car pc project.
i am juts doing the same now since my old pc is fetching me peanuts in exchange so decided to conver t to full car entertaintment system. motherboard is a mATX with amd athlon 3000+ , 40gb HD,4 sata ports, 2gb ddr1 ram. for the enclosure decided to use that aluminium school box ( easy to make holes and slots). logitek trackball mouse. a rubberized keypad stored out of view.
power supply from a ups with battery removed and seeing if i put in a 300w smps. when i get time for next lamington road visit wii look out for dc -dc kits and startup and shutdown controllers.
no headace option is to buy power supply forn "iride" for 4.5k.
planning a normal screen lcd of 6" with vga connection, since touch screen is not in budget presently. saw a 7" for 4.2k but it is not very easy to mount it in a baleno console without being seen all the time. a sony 4 channel will power the speakers. a tv tuner card with fm will be integrated with windows media center.
hard disk will be in a foam support for absorbing shocks.
do let me know about the working voltage of mercury ups circuitry( have a dead battery unit at friends place) does the control card require anyother voltage other than 12vdc?. i am planning to open up a powersafe.
project is on hold since my next pc laptop or desktop next???
i think AMD will have heating problem so might wanna take care of that,i am using wood for the box as it is flexible to work with,,and with the ups and smps components,,grounding does not become an issue.If u can try to go in for the board i mentioned on top,,Its Intel with Celeron 1.3 proc bundled wiht onboard vga,sound,lan and costs only 3k,
It has a mini atx form factor,which brings the overall size and heat problems to a minimum.
For my screen i am trying to get vga to rca convertor,(if any body knows where i can source it from kindly let me know.)
Lastly mini keyboards with track ball are available in the market,try to get that,it will suit a car better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks