Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2007, 22:01   #121
BHPian

Car PC has came out nice with amazing integration of stuff, whatever you can think of is there already. During install so many times I have lost the count of features and peripherals added .

Kudos to Ankur who has worked very hard on his project and the final outcome is superb.

Though there is one thing which was left out in install and soon will be added, a Stylus (for finer tabs on touch screen) till then he is using a cable tie as a stylus .
Old 16th January 2007, 11:41   #122
BHPian

One word for the install....AWESOME...The integration of the different equipments is simply amazing...
Old 16th January 2007, 12:18   #123
BHPian

Thank you all.

I want to point out one more fact about the install, something that was important to both me and the other guys involved. There is no wire splicing/joints in the car.

We tapped the main wire harness using a Metra reverse harness connector, we used a distribution block for the main power and for the various smaller power connections we used insulated spade connectors further insulated with heat shrink tubing.

cheers.
Old 16th January 2007, 12:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stuff Ankur. Congrats on a great setup. This ones a real treat for all us geeks out there

How about listing the hardware nd software used.

Is it running windows?
Old 16th January 2007, 12:36   #125
BHPian

Sadly yes its running windows and there have already been crashes but i have no choice over the operating system. The device support that in windows is just not there in other operating systems.

Here is what went into it :
VIA EN15000 motherboard with a C7 processor
1 GB DDR RAM
40GB Seagate notebook HDD
Opus 120W car power supply for the main system
Opus 80W car power supply for the peripherals
Xenarc 700TSV 7" VGA touchscreen
SB Audigy 2 NX USB sound card
Pioneer slot loading USB DVDR
Belkin 7 port USB hub
HQCT FM tuner
Linksys USB WiFi adapter
Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter
Audi MMI controller modified to work as a USB device
USB GPS receiver
Elmscan 5 OBD II scanner
Wireless keyboard with built in tracking stick

Software is essentially Windows XP SP2 nlited and tweaked. Other than software for the items listed above i am using Centrafuse as the front end. Mapking for the GPS.

If i remember something else i will stick it in the list.

cheers.

Last edited by ankur : 16th January 2007 at 12:38.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:24   #126
BHPian

Does it have a PCMCIA slot? if yes you can stick a reliance or a tata data card into it for Internet access.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:26   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
Sadly yes its running windows and there have already been crashes but i have no choice over the operating system. The device support that in windows is just not there in other operating systems.

Here is what went into it :
VIA EN15000 motherboard with a C7 processor
1 GB DDR RAM
40GB Seagate notebook HDD
Opus 120W car power supply for the main system
Opus 80W car power supply for the peripherals
Xenarc 700TSV 7" VGA touchscreen
SB Audigy 2 NX USB sound card
Pioneer slot loading USB DVDR
Belkin 7 port USB hub
HQCT FM tuner
Linksys USB WiFi adapter
Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter
Audi MMI controller modified to work as a USB device
USB GPS receiver
Elmscan 5 OBD II scanner
Wireless keyboard with built in tracking stick

Software is essentially Windows XP SP2 nlited and tweaked. Other than software for the items listed above i am using Centrafuse as the front end. Mapking for the GPS.

If i remember something else i will stick it in the list.

cheers.
Thanks a lot!!

I think I finally understood the installation. Like I said before awesome stuff!!

EDIT - How are the speakers connected to the PC. Do you also have a HU?

btw for those who want to install this but dont want to fiddle with the dashboard heres a product from Xenarc that should solve your problems

its for $500

Last edited by khanak : 16th January 2007 at 13:39.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:39   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
Does it have a PCMCIA slot? if yes you can stick a reliance or a tata data card into it for Internet access.
It doesnt, i am trying to find a USB solution for it.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:48   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
buy the Reliance base plan nokia phone for around 1100or so. connect a USB data cable(DKU2 or DKU5) and you can do a dialup connection giving around 80-90Kbps.

Reliance also gives you a CDMA USB modem but the cost is close to around 5000rs,
Your monthly rent will depend on the data plan you take.

Other option is to get a slightly more expensive mobile phone (6-8K) which has bluetooth and you can connect via a bluetooth dongle on your car PC USB port. Same 80-90K speed.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:07   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Thanks a lot!!

I think I finally understood the installation. Like I said before awesome stuff!!

EDIT - How are the speakers connected to the PC. Do you also have a HU?

btw for those who want to install this but dont want to fiddle with the dashboard heres a product from Xenarc that should solve your problems

its for $500
The screen is good, i saw it in operation but too many moving parts scare me in the indian environment. See the inside of it, its very precise, like a retractable roof.

I am using a USB soundcard thats connected to the Audison amp and thats driving the speakers.

cheers.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:13   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
buy the Reliance base plan nokia phone for around 1100or so. connect a USB data cable(DKU2 or DKU5) and you can do a dialup connection giving around 80-90Kbps.

Reliance also gives you a CDMA USB modem but the cost is close to around 5000rs,
Your monthly rent will depend on the data plan you take.

Other option is to get a slightly more expensive mobile phone (6-8K) which has bluetooth and you can connect via a bluetooth dongle on your car PC USB port. Same 80-90K speed.
I am not a big fan of Reliance, how is the actual connectivity ? I found out from Tata Indicom but the lowest end phone that supports data was for 5k, that didnt make sense. Maybe i will check out the reliance webworld (ugh!).

Right now i am cobbling together a phone from various Motorola Razor parts i had lying around, and last night i finally got it to work . Its screen is not operational so it will be tricky to get the bluetooth operational. I have a working razor and will follow the key presses based on what appears on the screen on the working phone. Will reports back.

cheers.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:13   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ankur, Do you already have the data card, because I believe that reliance has launched a new USB data modem. In any case have a look at this U132 USB to PCMCIA Adapter. It possiable that you might find it Nehru Place as well.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedonline View Post
Hey Ankur, Do you already have the data card, because I believe that reliance has launched a new USB data modem. In any case have a look at this U132 USB to PCMCIA Adapter. It possiable that you might find it Nehru Place as well.
I wanted to avoid purchasing the PCMCIA card and adapter, its not worth it. I would rather purchase a phone so i can use it when i disconnect it.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:27   #134
Team-BHP Support

Reliance has great connectivity in Bangalore and rural karnataka. It works all the way from Delhi to Amritsar and from chd to Narkanda, to Jaipur.
Data connection speed has been tested in cities only(NCR and Ludhiana) and I found it between 70-90kbps always.

Don't know about any other places, when I go there will let you know
If you want a phone which supports data you can have mine. Its a LG handset with color capability. contact me.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:01   #135
BANNED

For internet connectivity on the move, The best option now is to go for the Indicom USB modem kit. Just plug in to a USB port and You're connected. And it's quiet small in size too.
I dunno about the indicom's performance there. Here, it's not that great when it comes to customer service. Network reachability is not bad though.

Ankur! Once again, YOUR SETUP IS AWESOME!! Congrats on finishing it with perfection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks