Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
  Search this Thread
465,920 views
Old 26th November 2018, 13:22   #46
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25,230
Thanked: 9,362 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Fair enough. I'm a bit of a guinea pig, willing to take some things on trust.

I got a pretty decent bluetooth speaker from Anker on Aliexpress for my laptop a few months back.
I think it is just how younger people shop. I am not so internet friendly.

Anker, I hear is a good brand. I don't know about their speakers but their USB batteries (the kind we use to charge our mobiles) are quite good.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:25   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,977
Thanked: 9,178 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think it is just how younger people shop. I am not so internet friendly.

Anker, I hear is a good brand. I don't know about their speakers but their USB batteries (the kind we use to charge our mobiles) are quite good.
I'm 42 so not terribly young (still foolish, might be).

I can certainly recommend the Anker speaker that I bought. I'm listening to an old Carnatic concert with it as I'm typing this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anke...27424c4dT5HUNx
hserus is offline  
Old 26th November 2018, 15:32   #48
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25,230
Thanked: 9,362 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I can certainly recommend the Anker speaker that I bought
Anker is a good brand. I assume they wont want to sully it by making a terrible speaker. My son has a JBL Flip 4 which I think was Rs. 8k or maybe a little less.

I don't use wireless (BT or Wifi) for music. I know it sounds demented but I prefer wires.

Last edited by navin : 26th November 2018 at 15:35.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 15:25   #49
BHPian
 
Hells Bells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 330
Thanked: 539 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Absolutely wonderful post! There was a very long conversation on our vRS WhatsApp group around how can adding just a DSP improve the bass extension etc as it would not materially change the base frequencies generated. The insight that the DSPs tend to have their own amp too built in clarifies a lot! It is threads like these which start giving me ideas to blow more money on stuff which I wasn't considering important till yesterday :(
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 11:11   #50
BHPian
 
vvvinod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 211
Thanked: 20 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Neither have I. The spec looks good and it had decent reviews (at least the previous generation of this product that I'd ordered had decent reviews).
Hello hserus, would you mind sharing the feedback ?

Last edited by aah78 : 12th December 2018 at 19:14. Reason: Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks!
vvvinod is offline  
Old 8th December 2018, 12:21   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,977
Thanked: 9,178 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
Hello hserus,

would you mind sharing the feedback ?
It isn't delivered yet and is currently held up in customs. I expect to get it sometime next week.
hserus is offline  
Old 12th December 2018, 18:21   #52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Africa-Lenasia
Posts: 21
Thanked: 3 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Hi guys,
It's been a long time since I last visited this page.
I didn't go through all 4 pages so forgive me if this was already previously covered.

Regarding "Auto EQ (De-equalize the OEM HU and Re-equalize to new speakers and amplifiers)" --- That's not how it works.
It does not de-eq the OEM head unit and then re-eq it.
Pioneer's Auto EQ does what it's name suggest.
It sets the EQ automatically.

A DSP can not change the signal it receives from the head unit. In other words, if the OEM head unit cuts out information, the DSP can't put it back because how will it know what to put where?

Does it make the system sound better ... yes, it certainly can, but its limit is the person tuning the system
Neeresh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 06:58   #53
BHPian
 
jaunthead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 408 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

This thread is golden. Thank you Navin.

I have a noob question- so even if we set the bass, treble and eq settings on the stock HU to flat, the signal is still being colored?

Also why do manufacturers want to cut out information in OEM HU signals. How does it help other than making some poor oem speakers sound good playing low bitrate mp3s. And if external dsp cannot resolve that, it makes more sense to replace the HU itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeresh View Post
A DSP can not change the signal it receives from the head unit. In other words, if the OEM head unit cuts out information, the DSP can't put it back because how will it know what to put where?

Last edited by jaunthead : 18th December 2018 at 07:08. Reason: Quote edit
jaunthead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:00   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25,230
Thanked: 9,362 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
I have a noob question- so even if we set the bass, treble and eq settings on the stock HU to flat, the signal is still being colored?

Also why do manufacturers want to cut out information in OEM HU signals. How does it help other than making some poor oem speakers sound good playing low bitrate mp3s. And if external dsp cannot resolve that, it makes more sense to replace the HU itself.
You hit the nail on the head. Manufacturers add a "pre-EQ" to the HU for 2 purposes.
a. To compensate for the car's limitations
b. To compensate for the limitations of the speakers (usually in the low end).

Changing the HU is often the technically better solution but many modern cars have more than just audio on the screen provided. Replacing the HU may mean loss of some other information about the car's vitals.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 18:50   #55
BHPian
 
jaunthead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 408 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Manufacturers add a "pre-EQ" to the HU for 2 purposes.
a. To compensate for the car's limitations
b. To compensate for the limitations of the speakers (usually in the low end).
Thanks Navin. A follow up Q- i was reading some head units have service menu options to disable this “pre-eq”. Is this true? Does any of our current gen Indian cars have such an option. It would be really interesting to know. Will help save a lot of money just to get that flat signal.
jaunthead is offline  
Old 18th December 2018, 21:05   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,977
Thanked: 9,178 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It isn't delivered yet and is currently held up in customs. I expect to get it sometime next week.
Photos - got it today but not installed as yet
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-4fa65d1fd8164807a12b23969bd5c76c.jpeg  

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-42e32ca10eeb4d258b532defbea2c78e.jpeg  

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-5a786d21a3eb451fb90ab42b91ab7cc7.jpeg  

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-429eafffbd964132a753506cda2ab075.jpeg  

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-013ca86dfa084f16a9dc703972e56e30.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 11:03   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25,230
Thanked: 9,362 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
Thanks Navin. A follow up Q- i was reading some head units have service menu options to disable this “pre-eq”. Is this true? Does any of our current gen Indian cars have such an option. It would be really interesting to know. Will help save a lot of money just to get that flat signal.
I have not seen any Indian car having this option in an OEM HU. I wish there was.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 14:21   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,977
Thanked: 9,178 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

This has bare wires for input, power and output.

Is there a connector available for a 2015 top end Scorpio that will fit these so that I don't have to cut and splice wires? That would void my warranty, which I don't particularly want.

Looks like Scorpio system out - DSP in and DSP out to the speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-1image.jpg  


Last edited by hserus : 19th December 2018 at 14:30.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 15:14   #59
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 12,350
Thanked: 21,419 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This has bare wires for input, power and output.

Is there a connector available for a 2015 top end Scorpio that will fit these so that I don't have to cut and splice wires?.
You can try this. May help you.

It is sold out currently, you can contact Carplus and see if they can help you out.

http://www.carplus.in/mahindra/scorp...-scorpio-13089
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 11:20   #60
BHPian
 
MADMAX111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 193
Thanked: 111 Times
Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

Question for Gurus.

Upgrading speakers (I have 2 tweeters & 2 Speakers in front and same in rear, all factory fitted, Don’t know whether they are components or co axials).

Should I change to all components or all co axials( The main speakers not tweeters) .

Focal advertises these 2 kits for VW vehicles plug n play. IS 165 VW(components) & IC 165VW (co axials).

Any personal experience/ feedback/ advice would be appreciated. Thanks
MADMAX111 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks