Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2022, 21:32   #181
ais
BHPian

Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

I'm working on an upgrade on my Feb 2022 Polo Highline Plus TSI.

The stock Head unit seemed good, but the speakers lacked treble completely. So I've installed Focal IS 165 VW components in front, with tweeters flush mounted in sail panel. Rear doors have IC 165 VW coaxials. This choice was due to plug and play factor. Doors are damped with Hi Res damping. The install was done day before, so the speakers may increase in warmth with usage. While the sound quality and treble have increased substantially, the bass sounds hard and high volumes sound isn't crystal clear. An active underseat subwoofer will surely help to round off the sound. I'm looking for clean sound at low to medium volumes.

I'm talking to installers Motorogue and Motorsounds (Lokhandwala). I'm confused about which route to take- change headunit for cost saving and simplicity, and improvement in sound quality, or go all the way with stock headunit and add DSP, amp, subwoofer for the best possible sound (perfection in a car is not possible, so slighty less than perfect result I can live with, and I have an excellent setup as my home theatre system when one wants top notch sound). The setups suggested so far are-

A. Headunit change- Pioneer DMH-Z5290BT for about Rs.25000/- and Alpine Active underseat Sub for about Rs.18000/-. The stock headunit can also be sold to recover some! Total Rs. 45000/- maximum.

B. Alpine 8 channel DSP (to run front tweeters active)- Rs.39500/-; budget amp Rs.7500/- (I would stretch this to a known brand like Nakamichi for about 17500/-); Sub- same as A above; wiring and installation Rs.10000/-; Tuning- Rs.5000/- Total about Rs.90000/-.

Is option B worth two times the cost of Option A? Any other options or advice?

Last edited by ais : 31st August 2022 at 21:46.
Old 2nd September 2022, 01:06   #182
BHPian

Gave a 7.5 year old Polo 1.2 GT TSI a midlife ICE update with the following components:

Headunit: DHC 9”, 4 GB RAM

Audio:
Alpine RA60F Class D Amplifier
Alpine X65 Components - 120W * 2
Alpine X65 Tweeters
Alpine X65 Coaxials - 110W * 2
Under seat Subwoofer - 900W

Alternatives considered: Audison, Focal.

Why Alpine: I listen to vocals/classical/1950-1980 Bollywood. The crispness/dynamic range (actual feel upon hearing) of Alpine is superlative, compared to others.

The stock headunit was RCD320. Audio quality (of the speakers + HU) was absolute shite.

This setup is eargasm inducing. Absolutely worth every ₹. And the DHC screen’s touch responsiveness puts some OEM screens to shame. Wireless CarPlay is fantastic.

Don’t have pics of the install, leaving one of this brilliant headunit.

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-52eaa8dea58e4cb2a9d0c8523fe22a3c.jpeg

PS: Alpine makes an X-series amplifier for the X-series speakers, which would have even better performance than the R series. However, I didn’t want the speakers to be driven at their limits.

Last edited by GoBlue : 2nd September 2022 at 01:11.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:04   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Gave a 7.5 year old Polo 1.2 GT TSI a midlife ICE update with the following components:

Audio:
Alpine X65 Tweeters

The stock headunit was RCD320. Audio quality (of the speakers + HU) was absolute shite.

This setup is eargasm inducing. Absolutely worth every ₹. And the DHC screen’s touch responsiveness puts some OEM screens to shame. Wireless CarPlay is fantastic…
Thank you for the post.
Please post the cost of the equipments and the figment charges.
Old 2nd September 2022, 23:30   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Thank you for the post.
Please post the cost of the equipments and the figment charges.
Total around 2L.

Do not have breakup of fitting.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 18:32   #185
BHPian

A question to the learned folks here- I recently upgraded the audio set up in my Linea with the Sony DSP AMP at the heart of it (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...iat-linea.html (Budget DSP + Budget ICE for the Fiat Linea)). Now looking to upgrade it with a modest subwoofer. However I am completely confused as to how to go about it. I hope folks here can help me out.

1. what is the Subwoofer Power output of the Sony DSP Amp? The following spec details add to my confusion.
Name:  sony amp specs.png
Views: 1713
Size:  97.5 KB

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-sony-specs-2.png

2. What should be the power rating of the Subwoofer I need to look for?

3. Should i go for Dual Voice Coil or Single Voice Coil subwoofer? (I admit I tried to read about it, some friends too tried sharing some articles, but just could not understand). Some explanation would be very welcome.

4.This is how back of my amp looks like - considering i am going for a single subwoofer, I would have to bridge it right?
Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-amp-backside.png

Thank you!
Old 13th February 2023, 19:51   #186
BHPian

Hello Everyone.

I am into the market for a good installer for my Car audio upgrade for Octavia.

My existing setup on my old car (This was a messy install initially and had to fix them after 6th time by visiting tecnocart (Car Audio : Tecnokrat (Chennai)) Chennai finally)

JBL GTO S649C components at front
JBL CX63SI Coax speakers on the rear
JBL GX A644SI 1000W/4Ch amplifier

I have heard about speed freaks, Chennai. They claim to complete the work without any cutting / splicing of OEM wires and have good reviews. Have anyone made an ICE upgrade with them, can you please pour in your thoughts?

As another alternate, i am also considering a retrofit of OEM 11 speaker canton system. Any trusted OEM retrofit outlets in an around TN, KA or KL? I am open for options.
Old 17th September 2023, 21:35   #187
BHPian

I want to upgrade my Honda Amaze 2018 V stock HU. The unit is as basic as it can be and is an eye sore.
I have shortlisted

1) SONY XAV AX 3200 ( https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/i...ers/xav-ax3200 )
2) Pioneer DMH-A4450BT ( https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/dmh-a4450bt/ )

I don't want to go for 9 inch screens and 7 inch screen will be apt for me. But the problem is dealers are saying that stock and factory fitted USB port will be defunct post an upgrade.
Also the USB supplied by the new HU will be left dangled in car's glove box.
I want to retain my stock USB port post HU upgrade.

Suggestions ?
I am here in Pune
Old 17th September 2023, 22:23   #188
Senior - BHPian

if you are willing to cough up 40K to your honda dealer, you can get a digipad 2.0 unit which is an alpine OEM. Everything should work out of the box (including steering controls). How badly do you want to retain stock functionality ?

Alternately, if you take your car to some electronics tech, they may be able to splice some wires and get your stock ports working - but this may involve cutting some wiring.

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th September 2023 at 22:27.
Old 15th October 2023, 23:16   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

Audio:
Alpine X65 Tweeters

Alternatives considered: Audison, Focal.
Hi, thanks for sharing details regarding this setup - you mentioned having considered Audison and Focal for the upgrade. Could you specify what model they were and how did they compare?

Thanks a lot
Old 26th November 2023, 09:53   #190
BHPian

Hi folks a quick question? Not sure if this has been discussed in a separate forum.

I am confused between having a separate dsp 6-8 channel nakamichi dsp plus zapco 4 amplifier setup vs a single box covering dsp and amplifier like 8 channel dsp with 4 channel amplifier.

First setup costs around 30k which second around 25k.
Also, first setup has more wiring setup but second one has simple one device setup.
Please suggest which is ideal in long term basis
Old 27th November 2023, 14:14   #191
BHPian

If the specs are the same for both, as in output wattage at same resistance and your boot gets sufficient ventilation, then go for the all in one dsp amplifier.
NOS Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 06:23   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvytla View Post
I own a 2018 Hyundai Creta SX (O) which has a company head unit with apple car play and android auto. I have tried to make it a active setup with the below devices.

Head Unit : Default touch screen head unit
Tweeter : Hertz Energy ET 26.5 (Frequency Response - 2k - 23k)(two pairs - one pair each on the front and the rear doors above the hand rest)
Midrange : Hertz Energy EV 165L.5 (Frequency Response - 50 - 4k, 100 watt RMS)(two pairs - one pair each on the factory default locations on the front and rear doors)
Subwoofer : JBL CS1200BSI Sealed enclosure (Frequency Response - 35Hz-200Hz, 300 Watt RMS) (palced in the boot)

Amplifier 1 (connected to tweeters) : Alpine BBX-F1200 (4*50watt @2ohms)
Amplifier 2 (Connected to the Midrange Speakers) : JBL - GTO 804EZ (4*80watt @4ohms)
Amplifier 3 (Connected to the Subwoofer) : JBL - GTO 501EZ (1* 350watt @4ohms)

DSP : Audio Control DM 810

Now for the configuration part

1. The crossovers on the Amplifers are set to allow all frequencies
2. The crossover points are set on the DSP for each channel as per the speaker specifications
3. Played Pink Noise on the head unit and tuned the cross over points

However I see that the audio quality is not satisfactory. Can anone suggest a installer in Hyderabad who can tune this setup.

Attachment 1888265

Regards
Kiran
Hi Kiran, you can try Shakir Opp Lane to Shadan College Khairatabad. He can be reached on 98495 87861. The other place you can try is Carsonics in Ministers Road, check Naman or Dhruv.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks