Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 23:07   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I didn't got it JK!,did u meant 200w for each voice coil.

Hydra upto what extent a sub can be driven by overpowered amp.In this case it's 100w.Somebody did told me that, driving the sub at max power might damage it!!
I am asking it cause i am looking for an amp for my id10" 2ohms dvc 400w max and nominal 250w.

well,cant it be tht way too?

and it can wht hydra said too!

but then hydra is scaring me!
Old 22nd September 2007, 08:43   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hydra upto what extent a sub can be driven by overpowered amp.In this case it's 100w.Somebody did told me that, driving the sub at max power might damage it!!
I am asking it cause i am looking for an amp for my id10" 2ohms dvc 400w max and nominal 250w.
Generally, yes. Driving a sub beyond max rating will overheat it and soon, damage it. But the "max rating" of some subs are actually more than what is officially stated, and vice versa. So it would depend on the exact model of sub we're looking at.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the IDQ's max rating is more than what is stated on their website. Frankly I have no idea about whether that is the fact or not. But I have heard quite frequently from different people who use IDQs (or have used IDQs) that the IDQs' ratings are very conservative, and that they generally take more power than "officially" rated.

And if you are careful with the gains, (and IMHO depending on the kind of music you generally listen to), I think you can safely feed more power to an IDQ than officially rated, and get very good results.

And the sub is fed power at "max rating" only when it is hitting a particularly mean note. For SK's type of music, this is not a very frequent/constantly happening occurrence. (Not SPL-like beats). No way is the IDQ going to be stressed out from too much work-pressure.

I'm not completely sure about this, but maybe a sealed box will be more amenable to more power? (Or not? -- Gurus please advise -- I've also heard that the heat build-up is more in sealed boxes than ported boxes?)

Gill, I'd say get the best amp you can afford (no more upgrade blues). For a sealed box, I'd get a 300w RMS amp for best results, no less. If I could get a 400w RMS amp, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
but then hydra is scaring me!
Why, my friend?
Like I said, case-to-case (brand-to-brand). [I have an idea why you're getting scared. Don't.]
Old 22nd September 2007, 13:08   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Subwoofer : Image Dynamics IDQ10v2D2
Amp power:-

The 2 ch TRU Billet 2.110 is bridged giving 400W
arrey there is little to worry about here. a subwoofer's power handling depends also on the enclosure it is in (as well as the freq. band over which it is asked to operate). Same sub in a sealed box will absorb a lot more power than in an IB. Then again in an IB the sub wont need as much power to produce the same SPL. In the end it all depends on the type of sound the person wants and the components he/she has at their disposal to reproduce that.

The WATT ratings are a guide not an absolute. I have heard subs that can handle 200W rms but will part your hair with 10W.

Last edited by navin : 22nd September 2007 at 13:11.
Old 22nd September 2007, 13:17   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Somebody did told me that, driving the sub at max power might damage it!!
driving a sub at max power can damage it if the sub in an IB it at 20Hz, the same sub fed the same max power in a sealed box fed 100Hz will probably only make a lot of 100hz "hum". Also music is quite instantaneous not a continous sinusoid so I dont see a need to worry.
Old 22nd September 2007, 15:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The WATT ratings are a guide not an absolute. I have heard subs that can handle 200W rms but will part your hair with 10W.
any inputs sir?? i mean brands please!
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:39   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
any inputs sir?? i mean brands please!
in my case I used to have a pair of JBL B460 bass boxes (based on the 2245H woofer) driven by a Crown DC300 Series II amp. But this is not really the most efficient combo I heard. A friend had Rowland Reseach 7 amps drivig a pair of corner loaded Klipschorns now that was efficient.
Old 24th September 2007, 18:08   #112
BHPian

Impressions -Post Run In of drivers

Hi Al,

The Speakers have been run in a good week with a multitude of different CD's.. from Diana Krall to 80's ....

Midbass: Has now realllly opened up. You can now hear what the Rainbow Kick bass was all hyped about.. The sub is now barely needed... Midbass really kicks in sweet....

The midrange and tweets also blend in with the rest of the drivers...
Sounds amazing...Have been able to adjsut the fader controls to get the jsut right amiunt of midrange ... ( I have Midrange on rears ) ( tweets and midbass on fronts )....
Old 25th September 2007, 16:04   #113
BHPian

Congratulations on having selected some great equipment & tuned it to your satisfaction.
BTW are your midrange speakers running fully active?
Old 25th September 2007, 16:40   #114
BHPian

No its an all passive set up. I have 2 crossovers per channel. One crossover is for the midrange. One handles the midbass and tweets. The midbass and tweets are being driven by two channels of Billet 475 ( which is a 4 channel amp )from the rears of the HU and the Midrange is driven by the second pair of channels of the Billet 475 of the fronts of the HU. Teh sub is being driven of the Sub out from the HU into the Billet 2 channel 2100 where the two channels have been bridged .Hope it is clear. Autophile's aka JB's earlier post explains it soemwhat more explicitly.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:05   #115
BHPian

Sorry. Hadn't read JB's post carefully. Thanks for explaining it again.
Old 26th September 2007, 18:37   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
No its an all passive set up. I have 2 crossovers per channel. One crossover is for the midrange. One handles the midbass and tweets. The midbass and tweets are being driven by two channels of Billet 475 ( which is a 4 channel amp )from the rears of the HU and the Midrange is driven by the second pair of channels of the Billet 475 of the fronts of the HU. Teh sub is being driven of the Sub out from the HU into the Billet 2 channel 2100 where the two channels have been bridged .Hope it is clear. Autophile's aka JB's earlier post explains it soemwhat more explicitly.
hi sk,

congrats on the beautiful install and the leather upholstery. it really is beautiful.

i was there almost throughout the install but had to leave when the tuning was in progress(when you came). i really wanted to listen to the setup but couldn't. from what you describe, it seems the setup is sounding really good. im happy, you got what you wanted. not everyone can fulfill his dream.

cheers
clip
Old 26th September 2007, 21:28   #117
BHPian

Thanks Clip. It was nice meeting you at Mukuls. Your enthusiasm for audio is to be appreciated .
Old 27th September 2007, 21:29   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Thanks Clip. It was nice meeting you at Mukuls. Your enthusiasm for audio is to be appreciated .
hi sk,

thanks alot. ice meeting you too. im looking forward for an audition of your setup when i come next and i really hope it is possible.

have you sold your outgoing equipment? wanted to buy the 3 ways.

cheers
clip
Old 28th September 2007, 09:10   #119
BHPian

im afraid the older stuff is gone.. audition is on anytime..
Old 30th September 2007, 10:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

10 Days later....

So I met SK at DRIVEN yesterday and heard his setup post run-in. Here are my observations:

- The 3ways have toned down at large. The 10+ hours on run in have done them good.

- The mids have opened up a bit and the midrange is now sweet, losing its initial harshness.

- The treble has also mellowed down quite a bit. Now I get what the fuss over the CAL26 is all about. Though the lack of any attenuation on the crossover is still an issue.

- The kickbass is awesome, almost makes the sub redundant. Anyone who loves midbass will love this setup for the sheer authority in that area.

- Soundstage is nice high and wide. Most people who listen to the setup will never be able to guess where the tweeters are.

In conclusion, the Rainbow is a very nice high end kit. And SK's setup is one of the finest sounding setups I have ever heard. A true high end setup that does justice to good music. I think SK should be very proud and very happy.

In fact there were two other members at DRIVEN yesterday who heard the setup, epranay and vebmetal. I wonder what they thought of the setup...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks