Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 02:27   #121
Senior - BHPian

LBM paaji! Thanks for your advice, but it is bit too late now. What's the point when orders have been placed?

My mind swung back and forth between 10" and 12" for a while, but I finally went with 10" thinking it will be loud enough and possibly better on SQ (and also because I got the same recommendation from CDT). Their response plot shows something like 88dB, while 12" is 3dB more but with peaky response. Not sure, but I suppose those plots would be generally at max RMS input, right? Sensitivity wise, 12" is just 0.5dB more. Trusting in these numbers for the moment, wouldn't it be enough for moderate level listening?

Regarding amps, I was strongly advised against 4-ch, so went for (apparently) the best 2-ch and mono that I could afford. BTW, Eclipse you suggested is full range class-D. Isn't it kind of debatable? or is this an exception? Saw 9103D specs out of curiosity, they have mentioned a good THD only for 4-ohm, for 2-ohm it is worse, and for 1-ohm there is NO THD spec at all (may be because at 1-ohm it is expected to produce only butter-chickens). The sub I chose is 4-ohm.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:06   #122
Senior - BHPian

Spotted an alternative to the clarion's bluetooth kit mentioned in the begining:
link here

Quick comparison makes me think this Parrot kit would be better than clarion, because
- Price $65 (versus $75)
- BT version 2.0 (versus 1.2, I don't really know if it makes a difference, but higher should be generally preferable)
- Multiple (3) devices pairing at a time (versus single)
- Voice dialing
- Voice caller ID (I would prefer this over visual display while driving, but it will work for stored contacts only. Reading out an incoming number doesn't make sense anyways, though!)

What goes against Parrot is that it doesn't support A2DP streaming and remote control like Clarion does. I don't really think streaming is any good, but the specification says it uses sub band coding up to 350Kbps which made me give it a second thought.

Looking forward for any guidance, suggestions and better options if possible!
Old 1st April 2009, 22:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Not sure, but I suppose those plots would be generally at max RMS input, right?
Mostly plots are measured at 1W/ 1m. Never heard of any plots at full rated handling. These plots are also not measured in cabin. They are usually in anechoic chamber.
Old 2nd April 2009, 00:16   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Mostly plots are measured at 1W/ 1m. Never heard of any plots at full rated handling. These plots are also not measured in cabin. They are usually in anechoic chamber.
I don't know why I thought about RMS power, it would be too loud. Here is a plot for the sub that I have bought: http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/EF-100%2...paramaters.pdf
Looking at the plot and sensitivity number, it looks more like 1W@1m only.
However, can response of a 10" sub be so flat till 10Hz (and beyond!) in anechoic chamber? I guess not, and that it should be in-cabin response. Similar to what is shown in another spec sheet which has both in-cabin and without cabin responses (link below). It may not be "measured" in cabin, rather some kind of mathematically applied correction for cabin gain. BTW, what exactly does "2PI" mean there?
http://cdtgold.com//pdfs/QES-1020W.pdf

But... cabin correction is not really mentioned in EF-100 spec, so I might have made too much of an assumption
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:14   #125
BHPian

Hey i am off topic , but i wanted to ask one question

What if we buy from sonicelectronix ??
What shipping do we need to pay if we want it to ship it to India ? Any extra charges except the price for amp and shipping ??
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:49   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Hey i am off topic , but i wanted to ask one question

What if we buy from sonicelectronix ??
What shipping do we need to pay if we want it to ship it to India ? Any extra charges except the price for amp and shipping ??

obviously you have to pay shipping from any online website abroad,sonic electronix has fixed rate of shipping of each product you can check it on the website,they have rates listed for each product.
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:57   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
obviously you have to pay shipping from any online website abroad,sonic electronix has fixed rate of shipping of each product you can check it on the website,they have rates listed for each product.

Arey i know that buddy , i meant anything extra apart from shipping and cost of the amp ?? Because JBL 300.4 costs $ 250 + 88$ shipping == 338$

338 US Dollar(s) = 17105.2 Indian Rupee(s)
1 INR = 0.0197601 USD
1 USD = 50.607 INR

which i guess is way cheaper to what we get here .
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:28   #128
BHPian

If you are shipping the product by USPS, there are chances it might be put on hold by customs and you might end up paying duties for it. But you will not have that problem in UPS
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

if by chance custom hold your parcel they will charge you 30%duty on it maybe more,and don't calculate the dollar at market price that is the price bank buy dollar at,selling price of the same will be 52.5 or so.

so 338x52.5=17745 + 30% duty (not necessary)5325= 23k .
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:42   #130
BHPian

Okay if we leave aside the duty , it is a very good buy for the money being spent , isnt it ?
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:00   #131
Senior - BHPian

if in case you have to pay the duty then also its a good buy at 23k approx because 300.4 cost 40k in india.

before buying just be sure that it is a brand new piece and not repaired one.
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:10   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
if in case you have to pay the duty then also its a good buy at 23k approx because 300.4 cost 40k in india.

before buying just be sure that it is a brand new piece and not repaired one.

I dont think the site will be selling re furnished amps .
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:20   #133
Senior - BHPian

i think this has been discussed some where on the forum.

wait lemme search.

edit:it was on ebay so i think this is a good buy go ahead.

Last edited by karankapoor : 2nd April 2009 at 13:30.
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:54   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I don't know why I thought about RMS power, it would be too loud. Here is a plot for the sub that I have bought: http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/EF-100%2...paramaters.pdf
Looking at the plot and sensitivity number, it looks more like 1W@1m only.
However, can response of a 10" sub be so flat till 10Hz (and beyond!) in anechoic chamber? I guess not, and that it should be in-cabin response. Similar to what is shown in another spec sheet which has both in-cabin and without cabin responses (link below). It may not be "measured" in cabin, rather some kind of mathematically applied correction for cabin gain. BTW, what exactly does "2PI" mean there?
http://cdtgold.com//pdfs/QES-1020W.pdf

But... cabin correction is not really mentioned in EF-100 spec, so I might have made too much of an assumption
1. the response curves shown do not revel the full story. they look wy too flat then I noticed that the plotter's pen speed (usually stated in cm/s) is missing.

2. I have no idea how the loudspeaker measured flat to 10Hz it does not seem real.

3. Most loudspeaker measurements are in 2Pi (180deg) space. It is assumed that the speaker is either on an infinite baffle or on a baffle of a predetermined size. This makes the curve look nicer as baffle step is not accounted for. Once a loudpspeaker's response is corrected for baffle step (usually in the passive or electronic corssover) it's effective sensitivity drops by another 3-6db (depending on gains from boundary reinforcements). So a 86db woofer might really become a 80-83db woofer.

The speaker you have illustrated is typical of modern designs. heavy cone, huge motor to move the heavy cone, big magnet to keep the motor in place, all sacrificed for poor Bl/Mms ratio which translates to the poor sensitivity ratings. However because today amp power is cheap and a 1000W class D amp can be used this is not noticed. What speaker manufacturers fail to notice is that such speakers are quite poor when it comes to reproducing the realisim of musical instruments (they do low earth shattering Home theater type bass very well though). Call me a fool but I am still old school.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:24   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. I have no idea how the loudspeaker measured flat to 10Hz it does not seem real.
That is why I thought it was corrected for cabin gain, like in the other sheet. If you look at sealed box responses in the 2nd sheet (QES-1020W), without correction plot shows expected -12db/oct slope towards lower end. Corrected plot looks flat, and I believe that is expected too (+12db/oct and -12db/oct getting canceled out). No?

Quote:
3. Most loudspeaker measurements are in 2Pi (180deg) space. It is assumed that the speaker is either on an infinite baffle or on a baffle of a predetermined size.
Got it, so it relates to what space the woofer is firing into. I am not sure if you noticed, but they have clearly mentioned that the correction is for "cabin", not baffle-step. Therefore, I think one is infinite baffle response without any sort of correction (sloping) and other one is in-cabin (flat).

Quote:
Call me a fool but I am still old school.
Haha..only a fool can say that Old is gold!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks