Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 07:25   #151
BHPian

wow i didnt notice there is a special thread for purchasing abroad... Presently I'm in NY, i just ordered the HU and thinking about buying an amp too.

This setup is in scorpio. 90%, it would be just me and co-passenger.

so is it advisable to go for 4 speakers without sub and 4 channel mid-price amp or 2 speakers with sub and 2 channel high end amp (add rear speakers without amp in later stage if required)?

suggestions on amp is welcome. im a novice in this regard and prefer to buy based on advice.

Last edited by klassics45 : 24th March 2010 at 07:27.
Old 28th March 2010, 00:43   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
yaar yeh sab kyon karte ho. itne guru log ne likha hai... alpine mein FM nahin chalega, check kar lena. alpine mein price difference zyada nahi hai. polk mein bhi nahi hai. lana hai toh kaam ki cheezen lao. US amps se amps lao. Phoenix Gold se amps lao. RF bhi sasta milega. Kicker, i don't know abt. get dynamat extreme. u can buy from crutchfield too, somebody just posted here how he did it.

MRP F 250 i think is for 12500 here with B&W, and u'd get some discount on it. take that as a parameter and check. 9885 is for 15 something.
Alpine manual says tuning range is from 87.7 to 107.9

I got my alpine from US and it plays FM flawlessly
Old 28th March 2010, 13:12   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitkodali View Post
Alpine manual says tuning range is from 87.7 to 107.9

I got my alpine from US and it plays FM flawlessly
of course it plays flawlessly, only thing was it was earlier tuned to odd frequencies only for the specific region. now i think that has also been rectified.

Old 24th April 2011, 09:10   #154
BHPian

Re: Buying ICE systems from USA

Any feedback on BOSS BASS 1200 Active sub-woofer.

Any one using this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...sQWILA&cad=rja
Old 25th April 2011, 10:45   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Any feedback on BOSS BASS 1200 Active sub-woofer.
Most slim amplifieed woofers do not produce quality bass. They provide a bit of one-note midbass thumpbut that's the best you can expect.

BTW just to clairfy Boss car audio (http://www.bossaudio.com) is NOT related to Boss Guitar Processors (BOSS U.S.). The later is a division of Roland. The former is a producer of low-cost car audio products.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:36   #156
BHPian

Getting any electronic stuff in hand while travelling from US is not liable to any duty provided the total value of the stuff is less than 10K USD.

More over its for personal use.
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:45   #157

I.C.E for Polo Trendline from America

Hi fellow BHP'ians

I desperately need ICE for my Polo and I have a friend coming down from America who wouldn't mind bringing some speakers and a HU for me. Main reason being I'm pretty cash-strapped and cant really afford to spend all those thousands.

I mostly listen to electronic and house music -i.e; lots of high and lows. My budget is about 10,000 INR.

So I did do a bit of homework and found on Amazon.com the Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance Two-Way Speakers (Pair). These came out with great reviews from buyers with a nice price tag: US$ 55 (INR 3,000) for the pair. Does anyone have any opinion on these? Also, am I likely to have any compatibility issues (they might have different connectors? etc) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Regarding the HU, I found the Kenwood KDC248U which is priced at $US 76 (INR 4,000). Any opinions on this HU? Or maybe I should look for something else? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A232DEXWNE9181

I realise I will also need rear speakers and am willing to shell out another 3,000 INR. Ideally this should fit in my budget.

What is the difference between component and coaxial speakers? I tried looking it up but couldnt really find a clear reply.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to ICE and replies will be much appreciated, cheers!
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:56   #158
Senior - BHPian

Re: I.C.E for Polo Trendline from America

1. Components have tweeters fed by a cross-over and mountable at ear height in the car. Coaxes have the tweeter mounted coaxially in the mid-bass driver itself. The difference is in
a. The response of the speakers - components handle the sound spectrum better in general
b. The sound image produced - with the tweeters mounted separately, components tend to produce a coherent image in front of you, as opposed to a 'coming from everywhere' sound of coaxials

2. It is not necessary that the speakers and HU are cheaper in US, with the added disadvantage that some US model HUs do not have the facility of tuning Indian FM stations. That said, Infinity speakers are good - and available in India virtually at the same price

3. Look for components in front first - the difference over coaxials is very evident. Maybe you can add coaxials, preferably 6x9 ovals, in the rear later. There are no compatibility issues in speaker mounting and connection

4. The HU you have selected is good, but check the FM problem before you order

5. If you listen to Electronic and House, expect to *not* get much of the low end at this time. That would need at least 6x9s at the back, if not a subwoofer. Just so that you are not disappointed later

Last edited by DerAlte : 3rd January 2012 at 10:57.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 15:49   #159

I would be more than happy to buy from India but I called Infinity (JBL is the distributor in India) and they directed me to a store in Mumbai. The guy quoted me more than double the price for the speakers - INR 7,560 for the component pair (Model 6532) while I'm getting a similar model (6032)for US$55 (INR 2900) on Amazon.com.

For now I plan to get just the front component speakers and add the rear coax later as you suggested. I'm not much of a radio listener so it wont be a huge problem for me if it won't tune some stations.
Old 8th January 2012, 17:42   #160
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend,Just get in a Entry level Headunit + a pair of component system + Spacer Rings/Sockets/Antenna Pin,all this if installed properly you would be quite happy with the setup for listening Progressive music

Ramie
Old 12th January 2012, 11:58   #161

I've just ordered the above items from America at prices mentioned.
Will post details after installation.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:46   #162
BHPian

There is one thing in US. The receivers do not tune to .5 frequencies. So you will not be able to listen to 93.5 FM. My friend got a pioneer from there and he lived without this

This was few years ago so I am not sure about this but if you see the model numbers also, they differ by one digit for the exact similar model, differentiating the american models from rest of the world ones. Show stopper for me if you ask. But you need to research more. I am not sure if this problem still exists.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:46   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
There is one thing in US. The receivers do not tune to .5 frequencies. So you will not be able to listen to 93.5 FM. My friend got a pioneer from there and he lived without this

This was few years ago so I am not sure about this but if you see the model numbers also, they differ by one digit for the exact similar model, differentiating the american models from rest of the world ones. Show stopper for me if you ask. But you need to research more. I am not sure if this problem still exists.
Thanks, that was very precise information about the radio. I'm not much of a radio listener so it wont be a huge problem for me if it won't tune some stations.

I guess I'll find out once the installation is done. When you say they differ by one digit, which one is it exactly? For example, I bought KDC248U so what would that model be called in India?
Old 12th January 2012, 14:16   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanstar View Post
Thanks, that was very precise information about the radio. I'm not much of a radio listener so it wont be a huge problem for me if it won't tune some stations.

I guess I'll find out once the installation is done. When you say they differ by one digit, which one is it exactly? For example, I bought KDC248U so what would that model be called in India?
Pioneer DVD 4050 was numbered 4055, though it was essentially the same gadget. What I meant was, US receivers tune only to .00's. 98.3 won't tune as well. I am surprised that is not a concern to you but again I am not completely sure about it. I don't remember this either from when I was in US since I drove around on just a couple of weekends. Doesn't matter since you already 'checked out' on Amazon

When my friend had got that system from US, Radio Mirchi was the only FM station in Pune. And he couldn't tune into it. If I remember correctly, the frequency was 93.9 back in the day, which later changed to the present 98.3MHz.

Let me know what happens, I just hope it works on all frequencies now that you spent your money.
Old 1st May 2012, 00:49   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanstar View Post
I've just ordered the above items from America at prices mentioned.
Will post details after installation.

Quite happy with my purchase. I'm no audiophile but the Infinity speakers are performing satisfactorily. I'm happy with the bass produced and the overall performance is good for its price with a high bitrate file - 320kbps and above. There is considerable tearing at low quality files at volumes as low as 18.

The head unit is great. Very happy with the USB availability. I can simply copy my music files to a pen drive and I'm off! The interface is a bit tacky and hard to navigate. Not noticed any problems tuning any radio stations so far.

Note
: The HU will not play FLAC files.

Most Viewed