Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 22:51   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Hello BHPians,

I am currently in the US on a business tour, and have already purchased the Alpine CDU-9885 from here for USD 249+tax.

Since I now plan to get an ICE install done on my Palio GTX once I get back (I currently have a 6 years old Sony Cassette Player into 4 Sony speakers!) , I was wondering if it would be worth carrying back the following amps from here:

1. Alpine MRP-M450: 220 W RMS Continuous into 1 channel at 4 ohms (for Sub). This is likely to cost USD 200 (with sales tax) which translates to about INR 7800

2. Alpine MRP-F450: 75 W RMS Continuous into 4 channels at 4 Ohms(for speakers). This is for about USD 350 (with sales tax) which translates to about INR 13500

Essentially I have 2 questions on the purchase:

a. Are there products good for the price at which they are available. I understand that there is a huge variety of products available in the US, but the Alpine amps are available In Store (Best Buy), and since I do not have a credit card (!!), I do not have the option of buying from Crutchfield. Some of the other brands available in store are: Kenwood, Rockford Fosgate, Infinity, Kicker etc.

b. Given the prices mentioned above, is buying from the US financially beneficial compared to purchasing it in India it (would appreciate if someone can provide the prices in India without B&W).

Thanks!
yaar yeh sab kyon karte ho. itne guru log ne likha hai... alpine mein FM nahin chalega, check kar lena. alpine mein price difference zyada nahi hai. polk mein bhi nahi hai. lana hai toh kaam ki cheezen lao. US amps se amps lao. Phoenix Gold se amps lao. RF bhi sasta milega. Kicker, i don't know abt. get dynamat extreme. u can buy from crutchfield too, somebody just posted here how he did it.

MRP F 250 i think is for 12500 here with B&W, and u'd get some discount on it. take that as a parameter and check. 9885 is for 15 something.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:07   #17
BHPian

Thanks montyguru and determinus for your inputs. I knew that there was a risk in buying the Alpine because of the FM interval problem. But I can't stand the FM channels in India for even 5 mins, so no harm done. In fact I have not tuned in to FM for the past 1 year at least.

I do realize now that there is not much of a price difference for amps like JBL, alpine etc., unless you buy from eBay. eBay prices, on the other hand, seem to be very competitive - almost too good to be true. Is there anything fishy going on (like duplicate products etc)?

Also checked out the US Amps prices on eBay, and they are mouthwatering for the ratings. But I would probably call the dealer soon, and check the prices from there.
Old 14th December 2007, 10:03   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
alpine mein FM nahin chalega,
almost all alpines allow the use to choose between US and EU spacing. so FM will work.
Old 18th December 2007, 01:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
almost all alpines allow the use to choose between US and EU spacing. so FM will work.
Differences between radio broadcasting in Europe and USA

this says no european tuning in the tuner section.

Crutchfield.com - Compare

do they have different models for asia, europe n america? maybe some have both, some dont?
Old 18th December 2007, 09:39   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
do they have different models for asia, europe n america? maybe some have both, some dont?
they do but I have seen Alpine HUs bought in the US that exibhit this feature. maybe their 207-08 models do not. maybe the Alpine Hus bought in the US were grey (meant for markets governed by EU standards).
Old 18th December 2007, 13:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
i don't think alpine is available without B&W. Getting them from US would be cheaper anyday. i presume you have a free allowance of upto 25K INR.
The excess would be subjected to applicable Duty.
True. Any electronic product single or combined value of different products of 25k+ INR is dutiable. Usually, for electronics it is 50% of the retail value.
Old 14th March 2008, 17:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

MB Quart Amp

Folks,
Is this a good 'SQ' buy to drive Illusion Electra 6.1 components?

MB Quart PAB 2100 Amp: 2-Channel
Old 14th March 2008, 19:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^^

That price is too good to be true.
Old 14th March 2008, 19:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
^^^

That price is too good to be true.
Nice find, eh?

So, I take it that the answer to my question is a resounding 'yes'.
Old 15th July 2008, 09:04   #25
BANNED

Which HU and Woofer to import from USA?

Hi Gurus,

I am looking to upgrade my HU and add a woofer to my Wagon R setup, someone is coming in August end, and i can get HU and a woofer imported. What would you recommend i get as you are aware of my setup now.

- Sony Xplod HU
- Rear blaus
- 4 inch front illusion compos
- Kenwood Amp

Gunbir sir, what is your recommendation?
Old 15th July 2008, 09:24   #26
pt7
BHPian

Alpine

If you are looking at good sound quality - you should import Alpine 9887 - which comes with Imprint inbuilt.

I have Alpine 9886 (9887 Minus imprint) in my Wagon R and the SQ is simply amazing. I made a mistake of comparing it with Pio and I was surprised (Rather shocked) to see the difference in sound quality - ALpine definitely 100% superior

I havent heard Clarion - but lot of ppl prefer that also for good SQ. While for India - Alpine does have a better service presence (Despite the fact that both are imported by the same distr )
Old 15th July 2008, 09:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

budget mate please mention the budget the list is limit less with unlimited budget!

so think of a max amount you want to spend and then gurus should here should be able to pen down some brands and models!
Old 15th July 2008, 09:34   #28
BHPian

Would you also not need a monoblock amp for the woofer and also a amp wiring kit to go along with it. Once a budget is mentioned, suggestions can be given. Its good to buy in USA if you have a good budget and buying high end stuff. If buying stuff like jbl, infinity or sony, its better to buy here only.
Old 15th July 2008, 09:36   #29
BANNED

Sure, 20 grand for both.
Old 15th July 2008, 10:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

i am not sure on the jvc model numbers but these HUs afaik come with usb feature should be around 10 to 15 grand for a good one, so get one of these, either gurus here can shed some light on the same or you can search for the same in the products section.

and for the sub please mention what do you intend to power it with i mean the power the amp you intend to use with its specs to suggest one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks