Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 02:31   #1
BHPian

Buying ICE systems from USA

wanted to buy a car amplifier from U.S.A.(product not available in india)i have a friend there who will send me the amplifier but what next?? will i have to pay import duty ,how much and where can i get this information..where to collect the amplifier ,pay the duties or what ever is the procedure when that things arrives in india..can that be shipped directly to my home and i wont have to pay the duties or what ever is the case please help
Old 15th November 2007, 08:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Regardless of how your friend sends it, you will have to pay duty. Not only duty on the value of the amplifier, but EQUAL duty on the value of the courier charges.

Strange isn't it? But that is the law. The courier company (good ones like FedEx, DHL, UPS) will phone you, take an authorization, pay the duty on your behalf and you will have to pay it to the delivery guy.
Old 15th November 2007, 08:20   #3
BHPian

What Sam said is absolutely correct, & the duty on car parts (i do not know about audio) is 34.5%.
Old 15th November 2007, 11:48   #4
BANNED

If he is coming to india ask him to get it for you no need to pay any duty.
Or you can ask him to send as a gift, if you are lucky enough no duty on gifts.
Old 15th November 2007, 20:21   #5
BANNED

guys, i have a similar question, my friend is getting some speakers and capacitor from dubai, would he be charged any duty then.
Old 15th November 2007, 21:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

If he's carrying it with himself, then he can probably get away without paying anything.
Old 15th November 2007, 21:39   #7
BHPian

No they wont charge duty if he is able to get the stuff in a bag. As he is carrying goods himself he wont be liable for duty. If he isnt cross checked by customs..which 99% is very unlikely.
Old 15th November 2007, 21:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

cheaper

If you need to save on shipping costs try these chaps -> Bombino Express.

I've used them a couple of times and they're reliable. MUCH cheaper than FedEx / UPS / DHL. Shipping costs will still be higher because amplifiers are heavy items - around 10-20lbs.

You will still have to pay any applicable duty, though.
Make sure your friend puts in multiple copies of the shipping documents eg. Invoice / Sales Receipt and Customs Declaration.

As members have mentioned, he "might" be able to save on duty (don't count on it though) - if he brings it himself and provided he's ready to skimp on his own baggage - most airlines have reduced the allowed check-in weight.
If he does decide to bring it in himself, ask him to carry copies of documents himself.

In my opinion, you're better off buying an amplifier in India. Granted, you'll get it for less in the US, however, with the involved duties, fees, hassles in shipping / carrying, you really don't end up saving that much. Also, if bought in India - you'll also get your warranty coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
friend is getting some speakers and capacitor from dubai, would he be charged any duty then.
He should be able to get by easily with speakers but I won't comment on the capacitor. Flights coming in from the Middle East generally go through a slightly thorough Customs check - on occasion.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th November 2007 at 21:59. Reason: adding information
Old 15th November 2007, 22:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

My friend paid Rs.200 "duty" when he carried 2 subwoofers a few months ago to Bangalore.
Old 15th November 2007, 23:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
guys, i have a similar question, my friend is getting some speakers and capacitor from dubai, would he be charged any duty then.
I dont think so,because 3months back my best friend got me a pioneer In-dash from dubai 2 gift me,he got thru without even anyone noticing him
Old 15th November 2007, 23:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Carrying is different, on courier, Customs charges Duty on CIF, Cost Insurance and Freight combined.
The duty structure on Car stuff changes from time to time, as of now it's Approx 38% + 2 % +1.5%/2% So consider around 42% approximately on total.
Sometimes you might get lucky as courier guys not always specify the freight amount as from customer to customer it differs and customs guys dont have time to dig into the freight at times because of workload and you save the duty on Freight.
Old 15th November 2007, 23:28   #12
BHPian

what if the amplifier is 2years old. will i have to pay the import duty on its mrp or its current value?
Old 12th December 2007, 11:11   #13
BHPian

Considering purchas of Alpine amps from the US

Hello BHPians,

I am currently in the US on a business tour, and have already purchased the Alpine CDU-9885 from here for USD 249+tax.

Since I now plan to get an ICE install done on my Palio GTX once I get back (I currently have a 6 years old Sony Cassette Player into 4 Sony speakers!) , I was wondering if it would be worth carrying back the following amps from here:

1. Alpine MRP-M450: 220 W RMS Continuous into 1 channel at 4 ohms (for Sub). This is likely to cost USD 200 (with sales tax) which translates to about INR 7800

2. Alpine MRP-F450: 75 W RMS Continuous into 4 channels at 4 Ohms(for speakers). This is for about USD 350 (with sales tax) which translates to about INR 13500

Essentially I have 2 questions on the purchase:

a. Are there products good for the price at which they are available. I understand that there is a huge variety of products available in the US, but the Alpine amps are available In Store (Best Buy), and since I do not have a credit card (!!), I do not have the option of buying from Crutchfield. Some of the other brands available in store are: Kenwood, Rockford Fosgate, Infinity, Kicker etc.

b. Given the prices mentioned above, is buying from the US financially beneficial compared to purchasing it in India it (would appreciate if someone can provide the prices in India without B&W).

Thanks!
Old 12th December 2007, 13:32   #14
BANNED

i don't think alpine is available without B&W. Getting them from US would be cheaper anyday. i presume you have a free allowance of upto 25K INR.
The excess would be subjected to applicable Duty.
Old 12th December 2007, 18:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
I am currently in the US...I was wondering if it would be worth carrying back the following amps from here:

1. Alpine MRP-M450: USD 200
2. Alpine MRP-F450: USD 350

Essentially I have 2 questions on the purchase: a. Are there products good for the price at which they are available. b. Given the prices mentioned above, is buying from the US financially beneficial compared to purchasing it in India it
1/Price: Considering the street or online price, you should get both for $350. Just search in eBay for a price check. F450 is $200 and M450 is $150 (including shipping and handling). Cant you ask any of your colleagues to buy for you and you pay them?

2/Buying there: If you are carrying them yourself, then there shouldnt be much of an issue. Keep the bills handy and you can anyways bring dutiable stuff worth $600 or 25,000/-. Keep some "other" bills also handy to grease their hands

3/Worth: Definitely buying there makes lots of sense, if you are getting it at <50% of the price here. Most electronics stuff lasts 2-3 years, and the chances of it failing in the first year is very less. So do not not buy just because of the lack of warranty.

4/Wishlist: I would look for more exotic components if I am to buy from the US. Like a Diamond Audio 5/7 series or an older Zapco Reference, or some real old school Rockford Fosgates. The latter goes quite cheap, like a 1000w RMS BD class mono goes for $300.

PS: I still havent brought an F340 that I bought from a friend for $80 about an year ago. Still lying there. Cant get anyone to lug an amp back these days :-( Will ya? LOL. Just kidding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks