Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 16:00   #181
Senior - BHPian

Yes that is correct.
It is already placed to avoid catching attention. Here is a pic of it flipped down.

Quote:
Do you get analog video out through a dvi-d to vga converter? i could not figure it out.
I am really confused about it. I have ordered the converter to see if that works.

I am planning to use DVI-D to VGA using an adapter. (not sure if this will work)
VGA to Composite using a scaler.
One Composite to many using a splitter

Is there any other better way to do this without spending 200+USD for conversion?
Attached Thumbnails
ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-img_4617.jpg  

Old 6th September 2010, 18:14   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Yes that is correct.
It is already placed to avoid catching attention. Here is a pic of it flipped down.

I am really confused about it. I have ordered the converter to see if that works.

I am planning to use DVI-D to VGA using an adapter. (not sure if this will work)
VGA to Composite using a scaler.
One Composite to many using a splitter

Is there any other better way to do this without spending 200+USD for conversion?
If you're sure you want a composite output, then I think this is the only possible set up. Or else if the LCD can take component input, then direct DVI-D to component converters are available on market. No need of an intermediate step for VGA. Have found this link on net, DVI-ADAPTERS - DVI To Component Video Adapter for ATI Cards ATI 6140016400
Old 6th September 2010, 20:35   #183
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Composite output is the only input that the LCDs will take! So no option there...
Old 6th September 2010, 20:52   #184
Senior - BHPian

DVI-D to VGA connectors work because a DVI-D port has connectors for analog signals that make up a VGA connection. If the DVI side is digital only, you won't get any signals on the other side of the connector.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:39   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
DVI-D to VGA connectors work because a DVI-D port has connectors for analog signals that make up a VGA connection. If the DVI side is digital only, you won't get any signals on the other side of the connector.
DVI-D by definition cannot contain analog VGA signals. It is the DVI-I or DVI-A which carries analog VGA signals
Old 6th September 2010, 21:41   #186
Senior - BHPian

Oops, I meant DVI-I actually. DVI-D to VGA need to be active DAC converters.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:03   #187
Senior - BHPian

The connector which I bought says DVI-D to VGA explicitly.
That is why I have 5% hope that it might work! Else I am not sure :(

Is VGA analog? or Digital type also? I saw some VGA to composite cables which said that they will only work if HW can provide analog signal over VGA!
My Mobo does not do analog over VGA. So I bought a Scaler to covert VGA to Composite.

Is there any hope that using this scaler DVi-D to VGA to Scaler chain may work to give composite output?

There is lot of confusion every where related to these formats. Some places they say it works some they it doesn;t some say it requires certain hardware - what a mess they have created with all these incompatible formats!!!
Old 7th September 2010, 02:13   #188
BHPian

Another idea could be replacing mobo. I do not know if there are any C2D mobos with s-video out but I think ATOM (donno if it will suffice your needs) mobos with s-video are available. probably you cud use current processor + mobo somewhere else. just a thought.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:00   #189
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Another idea could be replacing mobo ... but I think ATOM (donno if it will suffice your needs) mobos with s-video are available. probably you cud use current processor + mobo somewhere else. just a thought.

That combination is highly unlikely. Even the older discontinued D945GCLF2 which had a svideo out, was not capable of dual display, it only clones the display.

So the only possibility will be a new motherboard and a display adapter with VGA/DVI and S Video out.

@ ST7677 check out this thread @ mp3car, where a swift had vga to composite adapter and sunvisor display working. - VGA to COMPOSITE video incompatible? - MP3Car.com
Old 7th September 2010, 15:25   #190
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT:

I have a standard 2010 Civic. Found an interesting problem. I have a freebie 2GB USB Pen Drive. Downloaded MP3 sets into it. When I switch on the Music system things are fine. Start the car (the music system loses power for the cranking) and it does not recognise the Pen Drive. Comes back with Unknown Format message.

Now I downloaded the same stuff into a 4GB Transcend Drive. Things are all Ok.

Maybe the freebie 2GB was USB 1.x only, and was not fast enough for the music system on a reboot.

Just a piece of warning/observation.
Old 7th September 2010, 22:29   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ ST7677 check out this thread @ mp3car, where a swift had vga to composite adapter and sunvisor display working. - VGA to COMPOSITE video incompatible? - MP3Car.com
Hi Sun, I have VGA to composite already working fine. That's how you can see the working monitor.
My challenge is getting VGA/Composite output from DVI-D or HDMI
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:34   #192
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilvgupta
Hi,

I believed that you ideally wanted to have 2+ video streams and 2+ audio streams from your carputer. Is this possible n if so can you shed some light on how you achieved it.

peace,
~kg
It is simple:
For multiple videos your Motherboard should be capable of it. If it is it will also come with the necessary drivers to run the same.

For audio
You can use an N channel card (depending on your need) and route the channels to multiple sources (players) using software.
You can also use multiple sound cards - eg. hi quality soundcard for main sound and on motherboard for another stream.
Of course in both the cases you would need a software to do necessary routings.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:40   #193
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
kapilvgupta[/b]]I understand that for multiple (simultaneous) audio streams one would need multiple sound cards (internal or external) and the sound streams would have to be routed to a specific output device by the software controller.

As far as multiple video streams are concerned, if a motherboard has multiple video outputs (VGA+DVI+HDMI) does it garuntee that it will be able to simultaneoulsy output different video streams on different outputs (i.e 1st stream on DVI and 2nd on HDMi simulatenously). Am I understandign this correctly or is there some other motherbaord spec that I need to look at?

Would appreciate your advice on the same. I ideally would like to use centrafuse on the main dashboard touchscreen while allow the 2 rear screens to work independently for video or games.

peace,
~kg
On audio stream: you don't necessarily need multiple sound cards. Let's say you have an 8 channel sound card you can use 5 channels for main sound (4+1 sub), and 2 channels for the secondary stereo sound.

On multiple video stream, just having multiple video outputs is not sufficient, your motherboards GPU should be able to handle multiple video streams at the same time.
Like I have Zotac 9300 mobo, which has NVIDIA nView multi-display capability and can support up to 3 different video streams. However while planning do ensure compatibility between the physical output you would use on motherboard with the display device's input. As converting an DVI / HDMI to VGA/Composite can run very expensive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks