Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2010, 12:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

Need some quick help on figuring out how to Tap Accessories On connection and from where?
My guess was that I should be able to do it from the wires connecting to the HU, but I am not able to find any line which gets active on turning the key. There is only one thin cable which is always on, even when the key is out. I am using a volt meter to check.

On PSU issue, Finally wrote to Opus Technical support, they were really helpful. After initial email exchange when the problem could not be solved they gave me a call from US and we spent next 60 mins on call troubleshooting it and running various tests. They even offered to run some tests back there on my version firmware and try to replicate my problem and best part was they offered to replace my PSU if the issue would not resolve! (That is after one year of buying). Awesome customer service!!!
Thankfully I didn't need that and finally figured out there is somekind of Short happening somewhere. I took out the whole PSU from the case and tested it outside, and it seemd to be working fine, so reinstalled it giving an insulated base. Voila the problem got solved and behaving excellent now
Old 13th June 2010, 13:36   #122
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but I need to know this and you may be able to help. How does the carputer remain on when the engine is started? The ICE that came with the new Scorpio didn't restart everytime the engine had to start. However, once I changed the setup to a touch screen and amped it, it turns off and it is a good 10 to 15 seconds before it starts playing. On the micro hybrid, this is a greater issue as every traffic signal the engine turns off and has to be turned on when the light turns green. Of course I could turn off the feature, but then I'd like to use it!
Is there any way to ensure power continues to the HU just like it was on the OE system? I'm checking with you since a carputer obviously can't be behaving like this.
Old 13th June 2010, 14:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Need some quick help on figuring out how to Tap Accessories On connection and from where?
My guess was that I should be able to do it from the wires connecting to the HU, but I am not able to find any line which gets active on turning the key. There is only one thin cable which is always on, even when the key is out. I am using a volt meter to check.

On PSU issue, Finally wrote to Opus Technical support, they were really helpful. After initial email exchange when the problem could not be solved they gave me a call from US and we spent next 60 mins on call troubleshooting it and running various tests. They even offered to run some tests back there on my version firmware and try to replicate my problem and best part was they offered to replace my PSU if the issue would not resolve! (That is after one year of buying). Awesome customer service!!!
Thankfully I didn't need that and finally figured out there is somekind of Short happening somewhere. I took out the whole PSU from the case and tested it outside, and it seemd to be working fine, so reinstalled it giving an insulated base. Voila the problem got solved and behaving excellent now
Thats a great news that your PSU is working great now. Regarding the connection you are referring to is the mains supply for memory which will be ON as long as the vehicle battery is connected. There will be another wire which will get you the accessories supply. You can easily figure it out by using the voltmeter and toggling ACC ON/OFF. Best of luck
Old 13th June 2010, 15:14   #124
Senior - BHPian

Yes that is what I was trying. But there is no wire which is turning on of with accesories on/off.
Old 13th June 2010, 18:06   #125
Senior - BHPian

Nice to hear about the solved psu issue.
The head unit connector has to have a hot power and a switched power. should be able to figure it out with a voltmeter. also you can use the power from this connector itself for running the cpu if it is going to stay within 10 amp load. get the adapter for honda from any ICE shop for any brand of headunit. it should have marking of which wire is for which pin.
Old 14th June 2010, 17:09   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is what I was trying. But there is no wire which is turning on of with accesories on/off.
I have one doubt here. If there is no such connection which enable/disable on ACC ON/OFF then how is your stock HU working. Is it operating according to the ACC ON/OFF or irrespective of that.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:24   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriedEverything
Slightly off topic, but I need to know this and you may be able to help. How does the carputer remain on when the engine is started? The ICE that came with the new Scorpio didn't restart everytime the engine had to start. However, once I changed the setup to a touch screen and amped it, it turns off and it is a good 10 to 15 seconds before it starts playing. On the micro hybrid, this is a greater issue as every traffic signal the engine turns off and has to be turned on when the light turns green. Of course I could turn off the feature, but then I'd like to use it!
Is there any way to ensure power continues to the HU just like it was on the OE system? I'm checking with you since a carputer obviously can't be behaving like this.
For CarPC I am using OPUS PSU, it monitors and isolates engine cranks and does not let restart the PC. You can look at similar PSUs available cheaper - like M2X, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
Nice to hear about the solved psu issue.
The head unit connector has to have a hot power and a switched power. should be able to figure it out with a voltmeter.
Thanks for the inputs, I was able to find it when I tried for the second time, first time I guess I missed making the right contacts with the points.

Finished the install yesterday 3am! The PC is up and running awesome in the car. Sound quality is also very good, but proper tuning is yet to be done.

Some minor troubleshooting is still required (I guess it is part of life with carPC's).
For audio I am running Centrafuse Auto and AudioMulch and I am not able to control volume from Centrafuse, it's pretty much the same level. No mute either. Any ideas, I would hate to use an external volume control. (for now I have reduced the amp gains all the way down)

Last edited by ST7677 : 14th June 2010 at 18:26.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:49   #128
Senior - BHPian

This Car ICE was shot today for a TV feature.

The program called "Tech Tree" will be aired on BloombergUTV Channel at prime time 8:30pm this Friday.
Repeat telecast will be at 8am & 6:30pm on Saturday and 8:30am & 1:30pm on Sunday.

Do watch the video coverage and share your feedback
Old 16th June 2010, 20:21   #129
sun
BHPian

Please do upload the video to YouTube once it has been telecast, for those who miss the tv show that is...
Old 17th June 2010, 18:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This Car ICE was shot today for a TV feature.

The program called "Tech Tree" will be aired on BloombergUTV Channel at prime time 8:30pm this Friday.
Repeat telecast will be at 8am & 6:30pm on Saturday and 8:30am & 1:30pm on Sunday.

Do watch the video coverage and share your feedback
Even my car was shot for this program on the same day. Mine was for a Mid-level system and yours the High-end
Old 19th June 2010, 10:54   #131
Senior - BHPian

I had a pretty elaborate recording done over 3 hours demoing various features, but disappointingly, the video was reduced to 2 mins just touching the components basics which one can get under a lac! Very disappointing...
Anyway it is not possible to show the sound quality on video. Least they could have shown was tuning plugins (instead of showing the mixer), GPS, OBD, rear view, mini keyboard, etc!

Last edited by ST7677 : 19th June 2010 at 10:58.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:43   #132
Senior - BHPian

Arrey bhai, the lowest common denominator is the producer's and editor's understanding of the subject. What you be talking of plug-in shug-in!
Old 19th June 2010, 22:54   #133
BHPian

I saw the episode. Great setup on both the cars .
They also mentioned team-bhp for more info on ICE
Old 21st June 2010, 02:34   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a pretty elaborate recording done over 3 hours demoing various features, but disappointingly, the video was reduced to 2 mins just touching the components basics which one can get under a lac! Very disappointing...
Anyway it is not possible to show the sound quality on video. Least they could have shown was tuning plugins (instead of showing the mixer), GPS, OBD, rear view, mini keyboard, etc!
Same thing here bro, they took around 3-4 hours to shoot the whole thing and it was hardly 2-3 mins things on the show. They were more interested in showing the things than talking bout the quality of the stuff used. I mean they said that in order to use front stage system, use JBl amp, now thats funny. People will think that only JBL can do a Front stage sound in a car

I wish They had more time and knowledge to think of the "mehnat" that went into these systems.

Well whatever said and done, atleast TeamBhp was showcased on the show, i hope the moderaters will be happy

By the way, heres the thing:

Last edited by nitinralli : 21st June 2010 at 02:37.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:03   #135
Senior - BHPian

Here are the installation photos...
1. Hard disk mounted vertically in the case, parallel to the wheels direction. There are holes drilled to ventilate the hard disk. And yes it does get hot. Not burning hot to touch, but may be 55deg types.

2. OPUS 360 PSU. Had to remove the HDD and optical disk holder to fit this in. (anyway I was not using that). Note that the connector faces out of the case, so that I can plug and unplug it easily without opening the case.

3. Grounding point (under the) front seat mounting point

4. Wires routed under the carpet, WIP, yet to be zip tied and taped. The white one is the connector which plugs into the Opus PSU.

5. Rear view of the dash panel with LCD and AC controls mounted onto it

6. Wires going into LCD panel, tied together and wrapped in foam to avoid any noise (from wires)

7. CarPC operations - with flash light

8. CarPC operational - without flash

9. My new tweeter pods, relocated tweeters to give better sound imaging and avoid direct glass reflections
Attached Thumbnails
ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image002.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image004.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image006.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image008.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image010.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image012.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image014.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image016.jpg  

ICEing the Honda Civic - Part II (Carputer)-image018.jpg  

Last edited by ST7677 : 29th June 2010 at 22:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks