Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 23:58   #151
BHPian

@ ST. wish i could understand all those audio jargon and technical discussions. But i would say you will have one of the best SQ car-pc system. Hopefully 1 day i will audition it. Keep it up.
Old 15th August 2010, 00:18   #152
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nisarg86, for your compliments! It is not too technical actually, I picked it up all myself from scratch over last few weeks

Continuing with my CarPC hardware install, I am facing an issue.
On my Zotac 9300 ITX motherboard, there are 3 video outputs - VGA, DVI-D and HDMI. VGA is already connected to my dashboard screen.

I intend to add two more screens so need to connect them to HDMI and DVI-D points. The two additional LCDs have only Composite connection so need advice on how to convert HDMI and DVI-D to Composite (yellow RCA) connection. Please help...

Last edited by ST7677 : 15th August 2010 at 00:23.
Old 16th August 2010, 21:14   #153
sun
BHPian

Can you give the details of the two rear lcds. Which brand, and how do you plan to mount them ?
Old 17th August 2010, 06:40   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I intend to add two more screens so need to connect them to HDMI and DVI-D points. The two additional LCDs have only Composite connection so need advice on how to convert HDMI and DVI-D to Composite (yellow RCA) connection. Please help...
Not a solution but that's what I found.

HDMI to Composite Converter Cable? - Yahoo! Answers

From my personal googling experience on inter-conversion between various video formats, all I've concluded that it doesn't work very well, and if, if you read the best answer in the link above, often expensive.

However, I think a more feasible option would be to split the VGA connector. Try googling for the same.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:02   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Do you want different videos on different screens? Then you would probably need a converter box. Something like this: HDMI to Composite or S-Video Scaler

If it is just duplicating your main display on to two more LCDs, then your best bet would be VGA splitter.

But but but, if you dont have those secondary lcds already, a cool option would be the new USB monitors. Single USB cable offers both power n data. And they are cheaper than VGA monitors. Check those out: Mimo Monitors - Welcome
Old 17th August 2010, 11:27   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you give the details of the two rear lcds. Which brand, and how do you plan to mount them ?
These are 12" sharp LCDs, Extra wide aspect ratio primarily for watching movies.

Mounting will have to be custom fabrication - considering the usage it should allow for following:
1. Angle adjustment for both adults and children to view
2. Camouflaged when not in short term use - should not attract too much attention
3. Removable, when not in use over long term (day to day driving)

Quote:
From my personal googling experience on inter-conversion between various video formats, all I've concluded that it doesn't work very well, and if, if you read the best answer in the link above, often expensive.
However, I think a more feasible option would be to split the VGA connector. Try googling for the same.
Yeah, that scaler is too expensive!
I think, here since the output screen is really small (compared to a TV) so some fidelity loss should be livable.

Quote:
Do you want different videos on different screens? Then you would probably need a converter box. Something like this: HDMI to Composite or S-Video Scaler

If it is just duplicating your main display on to two more LCDs, then your best bet would be VGA splitter.

But but but, if you dont have those secondary lcds already, a cool option would be the new USB monitors. Single USB cable offers both power n data. And they are cheaper than VGA monitors. Check those out: Mimo Monitors - Welcome
The Screens will be getting different video feeds, so just a VGA splitter will not work. Best compromise would be to run two video feeds instead of 3 which I had planned earlier. In 75% cases two video feeds would be enough.

So I am thinking the front will continue on an independent VGA feed.
For both the rears I will use one feed and do the following
-> Convert one HDMI/DVI-D to VGA
-> Use one VGA to Composite scaler
-> Use a composite signal splitter to multiple LCDs

The idea is to use the rear LCDs only on long drives. Front Dash screen will feature boys toys (GPS, OBD etc), rear screens will feature entertainment (movies, cartoons, games, etc).

Last edited by ST7677 : 17th August 2010 at 11:34.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:37   #157
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

Personally I would not advice USB monitors for movie watching. While they may be great for watching pictures and text, their video performance is at the best choppy.

This I say from first hand experience, as I own a Samsung SPF-87H.

So any screen even those which work off an S-Video port will be much better than an USB monitor for videos, not to mention HDMI and DVI monitors. Just my opinion ...

By the way, @ ST7677, this is of particular interest to me as to how you solve your problem .. as I am myself in an almost same situation. My setup, which has been up since 2 months (I will post details in a new post, yet to be started) consists of an Intel D410PT board, with the VGA out to a Lilliput EBY701. As a second monitor I am using the Samsung SPF-87H. Now watching videos in the USB Monitor is like in slow motion , while Centrafuse will display it properly in the primary monitor if the USB one is disconnected.

The solution I have for this problem is, I ordered a low profile Radeon based card with VGA and TV out. I plan to split the TV out to two Head rest monitors, brand and make yet to be decided. That is why I am interested in ST7677's rear monitors.

SO keep us posted..
Old 18th August 2010, 06:34   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
The solution I have for this problem is, I ordered a low profile Radeon based card with VGA and TV out. I plan to split the TV out to two Head rest monitors.....
I think this is the best solution but AFAIK "ST" already has a pci-e sound card. Probably a USB sound card??
Old 18th August 2010, 09:59   #159
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
. Probably a USB sound card??

USB sound card is the last thing you should probably add to your Car PC setup. Every where it seems to be creating problems .. hibernate problems, excessive cpu usage. but then high end systems does need good sound output ....
Old 18th August 2010, 10:13   #160
Senior - BHPian

Correct USB soundcards do give lot of headache. And highest quality Audio is my number one priority.

Quote:
By the way, @ ST7677, this is of particular interest to me as to how you solve your problem .. as I am myself in an almost same situation. My setup, which has been up since 2 months (I will post details in a new post, yet to be started) consists of an Intel D410PT board, with the VGA out to a Lilliput EBY701. As a second monitor I am using the Samsung SPF-87H. Now watching videos in the USB Monitor is like in slow motion , while Centrafuse will display it properly in the primary monitor if the USB one is disconnected.

The solution I have for this problem is, I ordered a low profile Radeon based card with VGA and TV out. I plan to split the TV out to two Head rest monitors, brand and make yet to be decided. That is why I am interested in ST7677's rear monitors.
Sun, will the Radeon card give you multiple video channels?
If not (and you are planning to run only one video channel on all three monitors) then you might simply want to convert the VGA to VGA+Composite using a scaler, instead of adding another video card.
I am working on something, based on above lines, if it works will share the solution with you.

Waiting for my rear monitors to arrive, seems like they are again stuck at the customs :(
Old 18th August 2010, 12:14   #161
Senior - BHPian

Did you order them to be delivered by normal postal channel or what? Regular customs (when shipped by Fedex, UPS or such) don't blink an eyelid for such things. At most the courier company will pay the duty (if it is a restricted item) and claim from you - without affecting delivery time. Postal customs will not allow a set of needles to pass unless duty is paid *before* delivery, *even if* duty is not applicable. They remind me of an old Urdu skit - "Bakrey ke sau nakhrey"!
Old 18th August 2010, 12:20   #162
Senior - BHPian

My experience has been other way round. Couple of things I got from USPS post and hongkong post came in without a hitch. While this is shipped via DHL expedited (or whatever express service) and is in status "Clearence delay" at Delhi for a week now. DHL has not called my up. All that after paying >$80 only for shipping!!!
Old 18th August 2010, 12:56   #163
sun
BHPian

Quote:

Sun, will the Radeon card give you multiple video channels?
If not (and you are planning to run only one video channel on all three monitors) then you might simply want to convert the VGA to VGA+Composite using a scaler, instead of adding another video card.
I am working on something, based on above lines, if it works will share the solution with you.

Waiting for my rear monitors to arrive, seems like they are again stuck at the customs :(

The Radeon card is capable of outputting 2 videos - one through the VGA and a different output &/or the same output through the TV outs, however you want it to, configurable via the ATI catalyst software. I will be disabling the motherboard's on board video out.

this is exactly what I want, the front screen displaying the nav application or the garmin mobilepc trip computer, and the rear headrests both displaying the same movie for the kids. in this situation, the sound of the movie will be audible.

One more thing, @ ST7677 can you please give me the details of the screen you have ordered. may be a link ?

- & you are planning 3 different contents for the 3 screens ? How will you manage 3 different audio outs ?

@ DerAlte, most of my carpc components were ordered either from eBay or minitx.com and all came through, albeit some were detained at customs, and were released subsequent to paying of fine and customs duties. Average transit time was a little more than a month for all components.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:38   #164
Senior - BHPian

My setup can give two different audio channels - ideally one will be through car audio and one over the headset.

So it is possible to do 3 video, along with 2 audio channels, considering that I can merge GPS audio with the primary audio stream (car audio).

Frankly speaking, while the CarPC gives that flexibility, it's one audio stream which I am most likely to use (though using second one will be as simple as plugging the headphone into headphone amplifier). I still prefer the entire family to be enjoying the same thing at a time, well till my kids decide otherwise and once in a while I am ok with it

Sun, I am not very sure if these screens will work out properly, right now there are too many things with question mark. I would suggest you wait for my screens to arrive if you decide to order the same.
Had I known before we could have ordered together and saved big time on international shipping, but now it is late...
Old 18th August 2010, 17:54   #165
Senior - BHPian

Damn, the shipment is stuck with prevention department at Delhi!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks