2nd last hint of the day:
6.5" Component Speaker System
Old 29th August 2009, 20:05   #92
BHPian

It has to be the dynaudio 242Gt
Is it????
Old 29th August 2009, 20:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

To be honest. The Dynaudio System 220 (comprising of the older 5.25 inch woofer-- MW150 and the tweeter-- MD100) was almost finalized. In an impulsive moment, I confirmed the purchase too. But held back after reading that Dyns need a LOT of power and are best played active. This particular tweeter was also a weak link, since it was known to break up at lower frequencies. Decided to give it a miss, since 5.25 inches was anyways a compromise, and the tweeter 'other' 6.5 inch that I purchased eventually, has even been hailed as better than the Esotar series tweeters (unbelievable) but yes, it's true.

Bonus clue of the day:
The technology for this set hails from a very complex system. Almost ALL the technology has been derived from this set that costs almost $4000 as a whole. Of course, one cannot expect the set to have the SAME components as the $4000 set, but yes, very close to it.
Old 30th August 2009, 00:51   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I did a little research. A cap is not needed for this system. I will add one if the current draw from the battery is too high.
@frankmehta just wanted to share an article that I came across while browsing that relates to the above.

Quote:
WILL A CAPACITOR HELP ME?

If your lights dim with the beat, or your speakers start smoking without permission, or your CD skips a beat or two, your amplifier may be trying to use more fast energy than the electrical system can supply. Unfortunately, your car's electrical system is not thinking about the needs of your amplifier. Power is being robbed from your audio system by such trifling matters as: the engine and lights. This may leave your amplifier hungry for power, and worse, delivering destructive distortion when it fails to get it. Now, you should know that no capacitor is a substitute for an adequate amplifier to provide the amount of bass energy you want to project. Nor will it substitute for an inadequate car power supply. You may have to install a stronger alternator if you have a more powerful amp, or other equipment pulling your cars power.
Website Link - .Car Audio II. - Install Tips and more
Old 30th August 2009, 01:17   #95
Senior - BHPian

SO we shall wait till all this happens, and then choose whether to install a cap or not. I feel it's never going to be needed.

Clue:
It's all in the signature!

Last edited by frankmehta : 30th August 2009 at 01:18.
Old 30th August 2009, 10:35   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Decided to give it a miss, since 5.25 inches was anyways a compromise, and the tweeter 'other' 6.5 inch that I purchased eventually, has even been hailed as better than the Esotar series tweeters (unbelievable) but yes, it's true.

Almost ALL the technology has been derived from this set that costs almost $4000 as a whole.
Quote:
6.5" Component Speaker System
Focal KR/KP
Morel Ovation
Rainbow CS275

Last edited by navin : 30th August 2009 at 10:41.
Old 30th August 2009, 12:49   #97
Senior - BHPian

Thank you navinji for bestowing the honour for the purchase of $200 components on me . lol. My budget was 1/10th that.

Clue of the day:
Neodymium magnets
Old 30th August 2009, 13:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Got to be CDT

What say Doc Saab? :-)
Old 30th August 2009, 13:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

BA: Close, but price was TOO HIGH. Coupled with the reviews about the tweeters being too bright. Not to my taste. And not in my budget.

JL: Close call. Was keen on the 5*7 components, till I confirmed my doubts that NO 5*7 can sound as good as a 6.5. So decided to drop the idea.

POLK: Man, I was dying to get the Signature Reference series from Polk. The SR6500 had me absolutely sold, and it would have been my first choice. But alas, I didn't get a good deal on it, and by now the people who know me well know that I NEVER buy stuff at MRP/Retail price. If it's a deal, I am game. Or else, something else! Anyways, eventually that perseverance paid off and I managed to get a set even better than the SR6500.

CDT nahi

Clif (yeh kya hai?)

In-Phase nahi
Old 30th August 2009, 13:59   #100
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest. The Dynaudio System 220 (comprising of the older 5.25 inch woofer-- MW150 and the tweeter-- MD100) was almost finalized. In an impulsive moment, I confirmed the purchase too. But held back after reading that Dyns need a LOT of power and are best played active. This particular tweeter was also a weak link, since it was known to break up at lower frequencies. Decided to give it a miss, since 5.25 inches was anyways a compromise, and the tweeter 'other' 6.5 inch that I purchased eventually, has even been hailed as better than the Esotar series tweeters (unbelievable) but yes, it's true.

Bonus clue of the day:
The technology for this set hails from a very complex system. Almost ALL the technology has been derived from this set that costs almost $4000 as a whole. Of course, one cannot expect the set to have the SAME components as the $4000 set, but yes, very close to it.
Frank, Congratulations on the Alpine SPX-17Pro set. It’s a nice set. Hope you like it.

Let’s not get carried away comparing THE esotar with a ring radiator trickle down. Dynaudio Esotars are one of the finest tweeters in audio world today, only tweeters touching it or coming closer to it in sound can be from Scan Speak, Hiquphon, Morel, etc. Any of these comparable tweeters cost more than a 400 USD car audio set.

The same Dynaudio Esotar tweeter is being used in home loudspeakers which cost thousands of US Dollars. The latest one with new Esotar drivers is Dynaudio Consequence Ultimate Edition (GBP18000 / Rs 15Lakh retail). So manufacturers are not fools to use such an expensive tweeter if they could source a better tweeter in 1/20th the cost and make more money. Think about it.

FYI Dynaudio Esotec MD102 or Dynaudio MD100 have no inherent break up problems. I am telling you with my own experience with them in last 5 years having played them on all kinds of amplifiers ranging from Blaupunkt to Genesis to Mcintosh. If you give higher power to a tweeter in active setup playing at crossover point nearing to its Fs no matter how good or bad the tweeter is it will distort.
Old 30th August 2009, 14:25   #101
Senior - BHPian

I had emailed 2 people (outside this forum, of course) who were using these tweeters AFTER the esotars, but they may be wrong.

I haven't heard either so I wouldn't want to comment. But I did get a very good review of these, where almost everyone has spoken very highly of the Ring Radiators on the Alpines.

As far as the Esotars are concerned, they might be the holy grail, but frankly, the Esotecs just didn't cut it. Very average tweeters. Yes, the midbass is the FINEST in the business, but the MD100 and the MD102 are pretty dry sounding tweeters. Very dry. They might be good for a good bout of critical listening, but I would never prefer them over a slightly less clinical, and a little more fun set of tweeters.
One more drawback about the Esotec tweeters is that their sound is very very install-specific. Very difficult to get the right sound out of them without spending HOURS on the install. I didn't have the patience nor the expertise to do the same.
Mind you, this is all my view. Please take it with a pinch of salt. Nothing to hurt the Dynaudio fans.

Yes, so coming back to the Alpine SPX-17PRO. That IS my set. (JB, you could've let everyone play around, still)
The reason why I chose them is because they are one of the best sounding sets below $500 (which was my budget) and they have one of the best Crossovers ever bundled with a component set. I do not intend to go active in a long while (never, possibly) so I bought the set that has a lot of expandability built into the crossover. The photos show the phase plugs that allow you to modify the settings in the crossover to accommodate for various positions of placement of tweeters.

Let the pictures follow, there's a lot to be spoken about!
Attached Thumbnails
ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro-mid.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro2.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro3.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro4.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro5.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro6.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro11.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-spx17pro10.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-img_0705.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-img_0706.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-img_0707.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-img_0708.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-img_0711.jpg  

Old 30th August 2009, 14:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Frank enjoy the MidBass of TypeX
Old 30th August 2009, 14:42   #103
Senior - BHPian

Thanks bro. I don't know about the authenticity of these facts but the midbass is a derivative from the Scanspeak Revelators (used in the Alpine F#1 Status line of components)

Also, the ring radiator tweeter is a variant of the XT25 Tweeter from Vifa.

The size of the crossover is something worth looking at, since they are larger in size than the midbass themselves! Look the picture attached, where both are in the box.
Old 30th August 2009, 14:56   #104
Senior - BHPian

Here's a brief idea on the working of the Xover. An excerpt from the Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-1.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-2.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-3.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-4.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-5.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-6.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-7.jpg  

ICE frankmehta's Fiesta: All Equipment Finalized-xover-8.jpg  

Old 30th August 2009, 15:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The photos show the phase plugs that allow you to modify the settings in the crossover to accommodate for various positions of placement of tweeters.

Let the pictures follow, there's a lot to be spoken about!
Those are not phase plugs Frank. Those are Phase Link Modules. Phase plug is on the midbass.

Quote:
Thanks bro. I don't know about the authenticity of these facts but the midbass is a derivative from the Scanspeak Revelators (used in the Alpine F#1 Status line of components)

Also, the ring radiator tweeter is a variant of the XT25 Tweeter from Vifa.

The size of the crossover is something worth looking at, since they are larger in size than the midbass themselves! Look the picture attached, where both are in the box.
I think Peerless V line is same as XT25 ? Not sure

Also i might be wrong but i read somewhere that Alpine makes in midbass in 6" size as per Japanese ISO standards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks