Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:50   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Whats all this plexi doctorji? boofer kein saath timing lights bhi fit kardijiye... Jab bhaas bhajegi lights chamkhenge, pura dance bar banjayega!

K.I.S.S
plexi is like acrylic. maybe more transparent.
i was thinking about lights, but dropped the plan, keeping with the absolute stock look of the car. lights will make it look slightly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
why don't you something like manan's car.inverted install into an MDF sealed box.very tight.and very fast.right at the centre of the rear seat.would be a good massaging system for the parents too.
yes it will be an inverted install, for sure, since my motor itself occupies about .2 cu ft (i know! whacked out!)
Instead of MDF, it will be FG. (more strength if more layers are applied.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I second this. The sub will look good inverted and you can add some bling bling neons to the setup
no neons man. was excited to have them BEFORE the car came, but looking at how nice everything is in stock form, I decided to drop the idea.
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:13   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hmm. So fibre glass vs mdf seems like the debate all over. yes, FG has to be thick.

Which one of the two has better acoustic qualities?
Dude you saw my car! Go FG, you'll have 0 regrets. When it's done, add a layer of damping to the inside, and work from there. It's really great. I've got 8 layers for my enclosure.
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:08   #153
Senior - BHPian

yea. But remember? When I saw your car your sub section was off. didn't get a chance to hear the difference the damn enclosure makes.
Old 23rd August 2009, 02:17   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
yea. But remember? When I saw your car your sub section was off. didn't get a chance to hear the difference the damn enclosure makes.
Well that kinda sucks cuz now she's at Linkway Honda getting the door fixed. Should be back soon.

Let me put it this way then, it does make quite a difference.

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd August 2009 at 11:10. Reason: Solicitation edited out.
DocG is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd August 2009, 03:00   #155
Senior - BHPian

FG can be made stronger by adding more layers. But, for accoustic quality am not sure it is the perfect. In car audio, a sub always faces variarion in sound as per the cabin gain, different car and boot size offer different cabin gain, which could even make the sub sound boomy or tight. One particular sub in same enclosure could sound different in sedan to hatchback to SUV. Main Sound quality of the sub that its designed for always remains but the cabin gain makes the difference. To find a noticeable difference between the FG and MDF in a given vehicle is always tough for a human ear. And with the amount of equipement available one can always tune the sub, cutting or putting gain on particular frequency to make it sound as per required.
Since it's not much audible difference between the two that can be noticed, FG is preferred where sealed enclosure is concerned due to the flexibility. But, i guess there could be some reason where basic HT sub to high end to pro subs use MDF/HDF to even more expensive Rose wood.

Adding damping could lead to adding bit of reflection. I don't see a reason to apply damping when one is using 8 layers or more. The enclosure is strong enough for need of any damping. What I suggest is accoustical foams or open cell foam instead for better absorbtion of the freq. or may be some amount of polyfill just for the sake of cutting any standing waves.

In the end what matters is how much space is one willing to give up. FG or MDF is a personal choice although with the help of FG one can save more space by fitting the sub in a tight corner. JBL gti 12" has a displacement of .15 cu.ft and it requires anywhere between 1.25 to 1.50cu.ft. Frank try to figure out as per the boot what suits the best.

Last edited by Invinsible : 23rd August 2009 at 03:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks