Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 20:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Dilemma of the Low_Bass_makker/s?

HI all.
Welcome to this thread. And thanks for looking.
No, it's not a spoof on the other Low_Bass_makker's thread, nor is it to poke fun at my oft spoken about, dear friend LBM.

This, my dear brothers is a purposeful thread to help me make the choice for an all-NEW set of Low_Bass_makkers for my car.
My Luccent (Im12's *2) are doing a SPLENDULOUS (splendid + marvellous) role of playing the lower frequencies.
But, there are days when I get the thought, "yeh Low_Bass_makker ki tarah kyun nahi bajte?" (why they are not playing like Mr. Low_Bass_makker's booffers)

I am now in the market for a set of speakers (read: SUBwoofers) that are musical. Highly musical. So musical, that they can conduct an opera all by themself. Something that shimmy's and shakes at the smallest of notes.

And that same something should shake the car and the cars around when called to do the job.

The Luccents do the former. But they are not built to do the latter.

This is where the greed comes in. It's hardly once or twice in a month, when I feel like shaking the windows with some House or Rap.
Yes, it's a newly acquired habit and quite a rarely practised one, at that. But I want something that is AS musical as the Luccent (tough one, as far as I know) but should also be capable enough to bring a house down (KIDDING. For that, a house has to be either built on stilts, or built with cement supplied by the makers of the Delhi Metro)

I will give up the conquest if someone says it can't be done. But as far as I know, this is achievable with a pair of drivers.

For everyone who doesn't know, I shall be mating them with a Genesis Profile Sub Monoblock amplifier that does 550W RMS. 275 W to each sub / coil.

I am looking at the following combinations:
1. 2 * IDQ12.D2.V2
2. 1 * IDQ15.D4.V2
3. 1 * Ground Zero GZ-30X (Hydrogen 12)
4. 2 * Ground Zero XS-AL's

Most of the above subwoofers have been heard personally by your's truly (15 has NOT), and according to me, in this budget, they are the best bet possible.
Please come up with similar combinations if something comes to mind. Or select from 1,2,3,4.

Bolo, bolo. Tell, tell!!

PS: This is not an attempt to make this car into an SPL monster. A musical SPL monster is more in mind.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I've read many of the ICE gurus' threads. I just want to make one request if you can if possible mention the prices of equipment you guys are talking about. It will help many of us for reference. Best of luck with the new subs frank, hope you find what you looking for.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

The prices of all the above equipment varies from the source.
I will be importing the ID's, so the prices can be seen on all American websites and the prices of the GZ subs can be acquired from Hermit Audio Pvt. Ltd..
Old 7th August 2009, 20:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Two luccents aren't bangin'?
Old 7th August 2009, 20:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Bangin' but not foundation shattering stuff!
Old 7th August 2009, 20:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

1 Ground Zero 12" Hydrogen.
It did a 138.5dB in one of the cars.

P.S. It can do really great SQ as well.

P.S. Hermit needs to update the website.
The 12" Hydrogen is 25 the last time i checked and the XS-AL does not come any more.

Its the XD-AL with a D2 which is being offered currently.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

But 550w isn't too much for high SPL levels.
It will be just about right though. (knowing how you listen to music and the way you like it)
Old 7th August 2009, 21:43   #8
BHPian

Frank baba..you seem to have all the fun, don't you? I have not heard any of those subs, (would love to, and don't mind owning any one of them). Just go with your ears!!!
Old 7th August 2009, 21:43   #9
BHPian

Hey Frank,

I am still not a real guru to suggest. That being said I will suggest that...

Inform me before the existing sub goes in the classifields.
Old 7th August 2009, 23:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
1 Ground Zero 12" Hydrogen.
It did a 138.5dB in one of the cars.

P.S. It can do really great SQ as well.

P.S. Hermit needs to update the website.
The 12" Hydrogen is 25 the last time i checked and the XS-AL does not come any more.

Its the XD-AL with a D2 which is being offered currently.
Hydrogen is the chosen option for the time being. Dying to have a listen to the 15 inch version. But then again, the 15 crossing the budget by a long way.
The Xd-AL is impressive, but I think something with more finesse would be appreciated. No doubt, the XD-AL is brilliant. But something with faster reflexes would be lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
But 550w isn't too much for high SPL levels.
It will be just about right though. (knowing how you listen to music and the way you like it)
yes, 550W is MORE than sufficient for me. Mind you, we are talking about 550W of PURE power from the Genesis. More than enough. In fact, I guess I won't be using over 350-400 W MAX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Frank baba..you seem to have all the fun, don't you? I have not heard any of those subs, (would love to, and don't mind owning any one of them). Just go with your ears!!!
no no. No fun and all. lol. I might upgrade, I might not! I need a worthy successor to the Luccents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Hey Frank,

I am still not a real guru to suggest. That being said I will suggest that...

Inform me before the existing sub goes in the classifields.
Shreyas, you are no. 6 in the line. LOL. I don't think the subs are going to the classifieds ever. i might keep em for the zen.
Waiting anxiously to see what people think about the IDQv2.

PS: Any posts comparing the ID to GZ will be reported personally by me. Whoever has heard either or both can comment on the sub. But no A-B. That's my job.
Old 7th August 2009, 23:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think IDQs are like your Luccents.
Perhaps, its the IDMAX that is what you need.
M4ugr8 can chip in here.
Old 7th August 2009, 23:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

The ID max will be out of his budget if the GZ 15" hydrogen is.
a 12" max would be 42k+ considering the 10" costs around 41400 here.

IDQs are not like the fun like LBM subs.
They are musical. They are like your luccents.

The GZ Hydrogen is good.
Its fast , it goes low.
Even the SI is capable of good SPL provided the power. But sadly discontinued.
Old 8th August 2009, 00:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nitrous anna. Don't the IDQ's go low enough to make on uncomfortable? LOL, i heard it in one innova and the ID went so low I could almost feel the back of my throat.
It can go loud too, can't it. The fact that it is highly musical adds to the party. Like the cherry on top. MAX is not my cup of tea. I am not going to spend 40 k on a sub when I wont be utilizing even 1/4th of its potential.

The Hydrogen is a great great great subwoofer. And I am kind of tilted towards it.
If only I could listen to them again. But alas, it's not everyday that someone installs 25k rupee woofers. I will ask Ajay to play one for me, unless it's only made to order.
Old 8th August 2009, 00:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

This aint a marketing post but just to inform Frank that all the 15 inch Hydrogen subs are in NCR region. So you have to come to delhi to listen to them.

Frank-> LBM--> .
Old 8th August 2009, 03:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great one more upgrade.
Frank my friend what you need is one Sub, and if you can get 2 of these nothing like it. There's just one sub that comes to my mind for your need "Exodus Shiva-X". They have a price cut down on these. Great VFM and performer. Needs 1.25sq.ft for 500W.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks