Old 7th July 2005, 12:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Holy Cr*p! What a welcome!! lol
Old 7th July 2005, 12:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Cheers Sam,
Where are you located? Glad to have someone who really knows his stuff here.
I liked some of the work on that Octy. I like to keep things VERY simple and stock looking.
I would like to bring my car around for some advise and maybe a component or 2. I know you are not soliticing here but I am! :-)
You can PM me if you want to take this offline.
P.S. Maybe when tha Palio comes back I can drop in for a listen too? puhleeeseee. :-)

Hello Navin, Thanks for the compliment, but I've been reading what you say and i must say YOU do know your stuff
I am in mumbai for atleast 2 weeks in a month, the rest I'm travelling. I'm always available for someone who loves audio as much as i do

You know what, in sept I will call you and we can go for a spin in the palio.
Old 7th July 2005, 12:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumarit
Hi Sam.

Welcome. I just hope this audio power doesn't lead to accidents on the road :-).

So what are the good audio combinations for Swift Zxi? I am in US right now and would like to explore options of getting the best combinations - speakers, tweeter, subwoofer, amplifier (if any)? Please suggest. Thanks.

-SKumar
Hey there!

The swift is the first car from the suzuki/maruti stable that uses the Euro standard of 6" in all 4 doors. Its nice to have a car that holds 4 decently sized speakers without and modi.
The rear door position is a little off, but still....
A good combo is a nice set of compos in the front and 2 or 3 way co-axes in the rear door. Personally I find 2 sets of compos a little excessive in a small hatch. Too much tweeting really. If you use sensitive components, you can connect them directly to the deck. I know this isnt recommended, but this option can be used if budget is a problem.
For the back i would suggest a single 10"box (if you like it tight... wait, dont we all ) or if you like deep boomy bass, a 12" tube can be strapped to the seat. Luggage-vuggage bhool jao. But you'll be able to take it out when you need to drop someone to the airport. When installing the bass box/tube make sure you use connectors, or when you disconnect, you'll bugger the amp. You can either use a 2 channel amplifier for the bass or a mono-block.

Let me know what kind of money is too much, i'll tell you what you can do. Whew.
Old 7th July 2005, 12:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
What speakers would you advise for a Santro.
Front should be stock size and rear can be made bigger.
Say budget of 10K.
Woofer will be a blessing
Second hand though.
Was thinking of a Cass player with a CD changer, Vipers Pioneer 12" woofer and amp and speakers.
Say around 7K for speakers.
I like the Yellow cone speakers for looks.
hey. Stock size for Santro is 4". Dont bother too much with the bass performance of this speaker. The santro has an open-back fitting, so you will get ZERO lows from the front. If Viper's 12" woofer is in good shape, why not... if it's cheap. Make sure it's not repaired and make sure when you press it down slightly, it doesnt make khurr-khurr sounds.
Please dont buy a cassete player with a changer. Just buy a single cd/mp3 and aage chalke, if you have the budget or the need, put a changer.
7k is a good budget for 4 speakers.

& my friend, you want looks, buy a painting. Really. Speakers are made for listening, like these boots were made for walking......
Cheers
Old 7th July 2005, 13:10   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Hi Sam,

I have a pair of pioneer tweeters in the front and Lightning Audio Coaxials(6x9) at the rear of my Esteem. The tweeters are fixed near to the sun visors. I feel there is a lack of mid frequencies inside.

So I am thinking of going for a pair of midrange (component) with crossovers in the front. Can you recommend any speaker model which will fit in the front speaker slot of esteem?

The speakers are connected directly to Pioneer DEH-P5750 head unit. Later on i am going for an amp so the speaker as well as the crossover should be able to handle it.
Hi Dmitri,

I can understand your lack of mid frequencies inside the car. Ovals in the back with only tweeters in the front is not a good thing to do.
The esteem accomodates a 4" speaker in the front. If its the old esteem, the position of these speakers is brilliant, corner top dash. However the newer esteems relocated these speakers to fire at the knees. Bad.
JBL doesnt even make a 4" component system and i dont think other mfrs do either. Besides, you already have tweeters so why waste them?
Just buy a decent pair of 4" normal speakers. Make sure theyre powerful enough to handle an amp in the future.
If you want to save money on a crossover for this speaker (basically cut sme bass off the front speakers) i have an excellent supercheap idea.
Go down to lamington road and ask for 2 pcs of 100microfarad, 50Volt electrolytic capacitors. (Dont faint, its not that hard to say it) Should cost you about 10 bucks each. twist them back to back (Negative to negative)
then use the 2 positives as in/out.

Let me explain. 2 capacitors. each with a neg and pos legs. take the 2 negative legs and twist them together and forget it. Now you have 2 capacitors, joined like siamese twins. each with on positive leg sticking out, free. Now connect this to the Positive terminal of the speaker only. Meaning: one of the postive legs go to the positive terminal of the speaker and the other, goes to the speaker wire.
Hey presto: effective crossover.

I have tried to sound as less-technical as possible. However if this sounds confusing, read it again, nahi toh ask me again, i'll help you.

Cheers
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2005, 13:13   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

AYYYY Navin and RT,

Laugh away boyzzz..... heh heh. I dont mind this at all. Like i said, twice, chalo ok, thrice a day I'll do this. All for the love of sound. So help me Gd.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 7th July 2005 at 13:14.
Old 7th July 2005, 21:55   #38
BHPian

hey..looking at the pics. ,I remember seeing you(sam) at Auto Expo 2005 in Mumbai..nice JBL system cars were on display too..
Hey dude..I wanted to ask - you guys were giving free black catalogues on "Setting up your Car Audio System"..is it still possible to get one of those?..?..from Lamington Rd.?..Sahil gave me some Mr.Firoz's reference..but couldn't contact him..
I heard a JBL system in my friend - Gaurav's Black Lancer..very nice system..I think he got it installed from Sahil International here.
I got a New Honda City recently,and am planning for some good components for the front + rear..just wanted to read a few points from that catalogue..would be great if I can get one !..if possible,please do reply back,or PM me your contact details.
Thanks dude.
Also,will surely post up audio queries as and when required..
Suraj
Old 7th July 2005, 23:31   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Sam,
I liked the way the yellow cone speakers look but nod heard them.
You suggest i keep stock speakers in the front an get something better in the back?
Reccomend something please.
Will be getting a Pioneer 54xx MP3 deck.
Also how aer lightining Audio speakers?
Old 8th July 2005, 09:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Go down to lamington road and ask for 2 pcs of 100microfarad, 50Volt electrolytic capacitors..... Now you have 2 capacitors, joined like siamese twins. each with on positive leg sticking out, free. Now connect this to the Positive terminal of the speaker only. Meaning: one of the postive legs go to the positive terminal of the speaker and the other, goes to the speaker wire.
Sam,

1stly thanks for the complement. Often what I know is very dated or tarnished by my senility so please i urge everything i say to be taken with a huge table spoon of salt or please cross verify my suggestions with someone like Sam. The last time I did an install was in 1996 and the last time i got paid to do an install was in 1981-2. I built my 1st amp in 1976 and speakers in 1972 so now you know.

50mfd (2 x 100mfd in series) is kinda large for the tweeter he can only connect this to the midbass. also I would do one better. get a 2mfd-10mfd / 100V poly cap form say CTR and bypass the electrolytics.

BTW you can get these at any car audio shop too. Atleast I know I can get these at my guy. He will solder them for me too and heat shrink the joints so that we dont get shorts or moisture on them.

I come from the old school. Read as tube amps and lowther drivers etc... a very old school. This forum is like an elixir.
Old 8th July 2005, 09:44   #41
BHPian

Hey, Lamborghini, the `yellow' ones you are talking about are kevlar drivers I think.
Old 8th July 2005, 09:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
50mfd (2 x 100mfd in series) is kinda large for the tweeter he can only connect this to the midbass. also I would do one better. get a 2mfd-10mfd / 100V poly cap form say CTR and bypass the electrolytics.
Do you get audio caps like Solen in Mumbai? If so, I think they are a better option.
Old 8th July 2005, 10:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

I have not seen Solen or MIT or Wondercaps in Mumbai.
Old 8th July 2005, 11:26   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
you guys were giving free black catalogues on "Setting up your Car Audio System"..is it still possible to get one of those?..?..from Lamington Rd.?.
Suraj
Yes we still have a few of those reprints. Anybody here wants those, you can visit Firoz's office at Lamington Road. I've instructed him to hand a copy over to anyone who takes my reference. Cool?
Old 8th July 2005, 11:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Hey Sam,
I liked the way the yellow cone speakers look but nod heard them.
You suggest i keep stock speakers in the front an get something better in the back?
Reccomend something please.
Will be getting a Pioneer 54xx MP3 deck.
Also how aer lightining Audio speakers?
Hi! Lightning Audio isn't quite good as the other brands. I suggest you look around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks