Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 11:11   #7531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
(1) I want to have a music system that has a rotary radio dial . I dont mean that it needs to have a mechanical dial ,but I hate to change radio chanel using the seek button. It would be nice if I can use a rotary mechanism to select the frequency.
You are misunderstanding the interface mechanism that is there in modern head-units ('music system').

Rotary interfaces were coupled with variable capacitances for tuning. For the last 15 years or so, digitally controlled tuning has been adopted for its simplicity and drift-free tuning. Imagine you trying to tune a short-wave AM station with the rotary dial - your attention will be so diverted that you are likely to have an accident.

You only have to tune the AM & FM stations of your choice once (automatic tuning is limited to FM) and STORE the frequency against the buttons 1 to 6 (there are normally 3 sets of storage, giving you totally 18 memory locations). After that, you only need to push the appropriate station button once to recall and tune into the desired station.

For the other 3 features (USB, Bluetooth, external mike), you have to set a budget. HU's are available from Rs. 6K to 150K depending on features. So what is your budget for HU, front speakers, rear speakers, amplifier for these, sub-woofer, sub amp, ...?
Old 20th January 2008, 11:24   #7532
BHPian

Sir,

Thanks for your explaination about the tuning. I guess I will live with seek tuning.

My total budget is 12-15 K for the entire system. I dont want any amplifiers or sub woofers. Just the normal speakers . The ones that go into the slots provided by the car manufacturers, in the door.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:36   #7533
Team-BHP Support

The older pio HU's had individual buttons 1-6. This way you could go to whichever radio station you wanted from 1-6 then again there were 3 modes FM1, FM2 and FM3.

The newer HU's don't have the buttons anymore. Now you have to press the up down button to go through the channels. If i want to go from channel 2 to channel 6 I have to press up button 4 times. Before it was just press the channel 1-6 button.

I like the older HU's better.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:41   #7534
BHPian

Forgeting my requirement about radio tuning, I am looking for a system with

(1) USB slot
(2) Blue tooth Cell phone connection
(3) Separate Microphone that can be placed near the sun visor.
(4) Basic good quality speakers. Nothing fancy. No need for loud music.

Budget is 12-15000 Rupees.

Suggestion on brand and model names will be much appreciated.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:43   #7535
Distinguished - BHPian

rrnnss - from your signature I can judge that you are discussing a Hyundai Getz.
Please buy a decent head unit (A CD/MP3/FM player) for about 6000. The options I can suggest are Pioneer, Alpine and JVC. I would recommend you avoid Sony.

For speakers you can get 6" multiaxial speakers for all 4 doors. Popular brands are Blaupunkt, Alpine, JBL, Hertz etc. This should cost you about 6000 for 2 pairs.

This should suit you very nicely, given the fact that the music you listen to is probably not rich in upper and lower frequencies.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:47   #7536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
rrnnss - from your signature I can judge that you are discussing a Hyundai Getz.
Please buy a decent head unit (A CD/MP3/FM player) for about 6000. The options I can suggest are Pioneer, Alpine and JVC. I would recommend you avoid Sony.

For speakers you can get 6" multiaxial speakers for all 4 doors. Popular brands are Blaupunkt, Alpine, JBL, Hertz etc. This should cost you about 6000 for 2 pairs.

This should suit you very nicely, given the fact that the music you listen to is probably not rich in upper and lower frequencies.

yes sir, you are right about the getz and my music. most of the audio I isten to is lectures and such.

Any suggestions on the bluetooth integrated set is I up my budget to 18K?

Last edited by rrnsss : 20th January 2008 at 11:49.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:47   #7537
Senior - BHPian

Thalaivaa, 12-15k for a Bluetooth HU is possible.
But, the speakers should cost more.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:51   #7538
BHPian

OK. I will up my budget to 18 K . I need some brand/model names if possible so that I can research them and go and make a direct purchase rather than doing the research while in the shop.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:02   #7539
Distinguished - BHPian

rrnss - Please do not invest in a bluetooth HU,considering that you come across as a person who abhors unnecessary technology. A bluetooth HU will not be an ordinary HU with bluetooth, it will have tons of technology.

I suggest you purchase a medium-end HU costing between 6 to 8K. There are a variety of excellent phone kits, also many bluetooth, from Nokia and Parrot etc.
Try visiting a large format communication store, or a Nokia Priority dealer.

Medium end HU's have a cellphone interrupt and also an input for the cellphone bluetooth connection.

For example Nokia has a wonderful unit that fits straight into the cigarette lighter, it is bluetooth and decidedly convenient, costing about 4000/-
Please consider these options before you end up with a top-of-the-line head unit.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:06   #7540
Team-BHP Support

I don't think you get bluetooth HU's that easily these days. Last I remember one 6950BT or 7950BT from pioneer.

If you need bluetooth for your mobile why not buy a separate bluetooth car kit.

Anyways, this is a setup I put in a friends Estilo a little similar to the Getz setup. (The rear was a 5.25" but a getz can take 6.5")

HU: Pioneer 5050UB -- Rs.7000
Front: JBL GT-5 650C -- Rs. 4600 (6.5" components)
Rear: JBL GT-5 652 -- Rs. 2700 (6.5" coaxials)

Total cost should be within 16K with Installation.

Ofcourse there are other brands apart from JBL like blaupunkt, Hertz, Illusion audio. JBL also has the GTO range but those are a bit more pricey.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:06   #7541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My total budget is 12-15 K for the entire system. I dont want any amplifiers or sub woofers. Just the normal speakers . The ones that go into the slots provided by the car manufacturers, in the door.
Aah, so desu ka? Chotto difficarutu ne!

The problem will be balancing the budget for a decent HU and decent speakers.

You have also not mentioned which vehicle you wanted this for - there is the Judo and an upcoming Getz mentioned in your signature.

VFM HUs with USB you will get only from Pioneer and JVC, maybe Kenwood, for about 6-8K. Bluetooth increases the price to well beyond 10K for the HU itself. So, think again what is essential. Let the others suggest a VFM set.

If you set aside 6-8K for HU, the speaker allocation reduces to Rs.4-6K. You can consider Blau GTc/x series, JBL GT5 series, maybe even Hertz DSK series or Illusion Electra. If you limit yourself to front speakers only for the time being, you can perhaps set you sights on Blau THc/x or JBL GTO series. Avoid Polk, RF and other exotic ware - in your circumstances they will not be VFM. Definitely avoid Pio (you will never be able to tell the fakes from the real ones). Sony is a definite no-no, unless you want crickets singing along with Balamuralikrishna.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:20   #7542
BHPian

OK , Makes sense. I will buy a medium HU and medium speakers. and Invest in a Car kit for hands free. That way I can switch it between my cars if needed (Duh! should have thought of that before) .

My only concern with the Handsfree car kits is that one tends to shout at them as the microphone is far away and loose one's voice after having a 20 minute conference call.

Added later:

I think Nokia speakerphone HF300 should fit the bill. No need to shout at the handsfree unit

Last edited by rrnsss : 20th January 2008 at 12:27.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:32   #7543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My only concern with the Handsfree car kits is that one tends to shout at them as the microphone is far away and loose one's voice after having a 20 minute conference call.
That's psychological - totally unnecessary. Observe how people speak in an STD booth or on a long-distance call - it is assumed that the other person will not be able to hear unless one shouts.

Some BT kits allow mic sensitivity adjustment.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:37   #7544
BHPian

OK now that we have determined that I dont need a Bluetooth HU. All I need is a WMA/MP3 player with USB

Vid6639 thanks for the specific config. Will research that

Last edited by rrnsss : 20th January 2008 at 12:47.
Old 23rd January 2008, 17:31   #7545

Wiring Help

I am installing one 600w sub amp, a 600w 4 ch amp and a 3 farad cap. Can anyone recommend proper power wiring setup?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks