Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2005, 16:39   #631
BHPian

Kick Panels

Are kick panels available here?

I am getting a pair of Infinity Components(5.25") soon, my plan is to fix those as the front speakers on my esteem(new model). The front speaker slot is for only 4" speakers only so the only option is to cut out the door panel and fix the speaker there.

If i get custom kickpanels to fit those speakers then i dont have to cut the door panels and i will get more sound imaging/staging?

Could anyone help me out?
Old 25th August 2005, 18:04   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Are kick panels available here?

I am getting a pair of Infinity Components(5.25") soon, my plan is to fix those as the front speakers on my esteem(new model). The front speaker slot is for only 4" speakers only so the only option is to cut out the door panel and fix the speaker there.

If i get custom kickpanels to fit those speakers then i dont have to cut the door panels and i will get more sound imaging/staging?

Could anyone help me out?
I went to take a test drive today for Scorpio CRDe spotz. The car was fully loaded with some of the best music I have heard off late. It was a Kenwood HU with Alpine components and alpine 343 amp for speakers and seperate amp for woofers. I couldnt help to notice that it had KICK panels for front components. So yes they are available here, you would have to do more R&D to find them. The music was soo pleasent, no no dhoom dhoom type but really very well defined.
Before Sam and Navin jump on me for writing after my last post, I must say I couldnt resist not to help you and broke the rule just this once.
Old 25th August 2005, 18:37   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
I looked under the dash and found a couple of wiring harnesses. I could not guess which one should be used. The back of my HU has several wires hanging loose. As I understand it, the Acc, battery and the negative have to be connected apart from the speaker connections. I would love to do this myself for my car (Alto). Could one of you guide me or is there a good site where I can get proper instructions?
Hi Vivek,

Firstly, if you are doing it yourself, a quick tip. Dont CUT any wire. Take a blade and shave it gently till the copper shows on a small portion. Then wrap the deck wire round it and tape it up. THAT way, you didnt cut it. Technically.

Now- All marutis have a similar wiring code.

You will find only one wire in the harness which is WHITE with a single black stripe. This is the ignition wire. This goes to the red of the deck.

The Battery connection is easy to find. Pure white and the thickest of the lot. That goes to the Yellow of the deck.

The earth is jet black (Of course) and as thick as the Battery connection. In case you're not sure, just run a wire from any bolt on the letalwork and connect it to the ground of the deck.

The Illumination wire is red with a yellow stripe, this isnt necessary, just in case you want the deck lights to dim when you put the parking lights on.

The rest is easy.
Old 25th August 2005, 20:24   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I went to take a test drive today for Scorpio CRDe spotz. The car was fully loaded with some of the best music I have heard off late. It was a Kenwood HU with Alpine components and alpine 343 amp for speakers and seperate amp for woofers. I couldnt help to notice that it had KICK panels for front components. So yes they are available here, you would have to do more R&D to find them. The music was soo pleasent, no no dhoom dhoom type but really very well defined.
Before Sam and Navin jump on me for writing after my last post, I must say I couldnt resist not to help you and broke the rule just this once.
Hey I agree with Aseem and this one had the Kick panels so not much of drillin...........I am very enthu on this çause I am myself looking for hw to put Comp. on the front doors of scorpio.....
Old 25th August 2005, 20:28   #635
BHPian

Need a poll to decide Front Hella types for SUV's//which are better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings
Hey I agree with Aseem and this one had the Kick panels so not much of drillin...........I am very enthu on this çause I am myself looking for hw to put Comp. on the front doors of scorpio.....

#####Aseem Can u do some research on the Fog Lamp Industry and organize a poll for the same###########
Old 25th August 2005, 20:32   #636
BHPian

and guys best n cheapest place for those side panels on the doors of the scorpio to fit the get all this compo. would be Ludhiana....I Bettthhttqaaa u willl get this at a lower price
Old 25th August 2005, 21:02   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hi Vivek,

Firstly, if you are doing it yourself, a quick tip. Dont CUT any wire. Take a blade and shave it gently till the copper shows on a small portion. Then wrap the deck wire round it and tape it up. THAT way, you didnt cut it. Technically.

Now- All marutis have a similar wiring code.

You will find only one wire in the harness which is WHITE with a single black stripe. This is the ignition wire. This goes to the red of the deck.

The Battery connection is easy to find. Pure white and the thickest of the lot. That goes to the Yellow of the deck.

The earth is jet black (Of course) and as thick as the Battery connection. In case you're not sure, just run a wire from any bolt on the letalwork and connect it to the ground of the deck.

The Illumination wire is red with a yellow stripe, this isnt necessary, just in case you want the deck lights to dim when you put the parking lights on.

The rest is easy.

Ok. Will check it out. And I suppose I just bolt the HU to the place and socket kind of thing below the AC switches. Thanks a lot.
Old 25th August 2005, 21:49   #638
BHPian

Sam, I found the ignition and ground wire easily. Each of them have a spade conector kind of thing hanging loose. So, that is no problem. But I could not locate the thick battery wire as you said. The place is a mess with all the AC and Autocop wiring. Is it hidden somewhere. Or should I trace it from the ignition switch. Can I just wire my HU in parallel with the Autocop unit. I hope there will be no electrical problem if I do this.
Old 25th August 2005, 22:39   #639
Senior - BHPian

hey navin
thanx a lot.but from what i have posted how is this head unit and will it be able to handle the gto 936e and the gto 426e without the help of an amp

rev
Old 25th August 2005, 23:41   #640
Team-BHP Support

i dont see why not rev but with an amp there will be a significant improvement in esp in the bass (and midbass).
Old 26th August 2005, 09:45   #641
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys I cant find a KCA 420 (Alpine) ipod adapter. Anyone got confirmation that it is really available here? Where? How much?
Old 26th August 2005, 09:46   #642
Team-BHP Support

ALso somone requested info on a fiberglass box build. My memory bank draw a black who did that. I am back in Mumbai now.
Old 26th August 2005, 09:53   #643
Senior - BHPian

Hi Navin, my freind here is buying 9830/9833 on my advise. He too is looking for the ipod adapter, we havent checked FX Audio yet to see if they have them. But in any case, I was doing research on crutchfield yesterday and realized that auxillary input/ipod adapters are the best form to allow your ipod to interface to your system. With ipod adapter, systems changer controls are changed into auxillary control where your ipod plugs in and it charges the ipod as well.
Now I have an aux input in my Sony, so of course I will be using the aux itself for the ipod. Actually heard a car with kenwood system yesterday with aux going to ipod and music quality was great. My question however is, that doesnt the 9830/33 come with aux input? Also even Sony has an ipod adapter that changes changer controls to auxillary, I dont think I require that, do I, is there a gain in performance? according to crutchfield there isnt. Let me know, and I will find out how much does the ipod adapter cost for alpine and inform you.

Rest I had decided not to bother you or Sam with further questions, but I am back by popular demand, with Ajay and Moodswings persuading me to reverse my decision.
Old 26th August 2005, 10:05   #644
Team-BHP Support

Anyway here goes....
the 2 advantages of using fiberglass are: createing odd shapes and making the box a bit smaller (external dimensions).

They way I do it:
First I create a frame (like a boat builder's frame) the frame is the box shape (3 or 4 sides).
Over this frame I lay 4-6mm marine ply. Marine because you must ensure the ply has no voids and there is a lesser chance of that with marine ply. Once the ply is bent into shape i remove the frame.

On the inside of the marine ply sheet I lay 1 sheet of fiberglass cloth and over that a sheet of fiberglass mat (cloth is interwoven, mat is not regular). The sheet is imported from China but available locally.

Over these 2 layers of fiberglass I pour my resin and now comes the dirty hard part. I use gloves but I know some who use their bare hands. One must spread the resin to cover ALL areas of the fiberglass and press the mat firmly so that the resin seeps into the cloth as well. I would rather waste some resin than have any part of the fiberglass exposed. The resin dries awfull y fast so you gotta work fast. having a friend will help move things.

The resin also bonds the ply to the fiberglass so you get a wall thinkcness of 6mm ply + 3-4mm fiberglass and this 10mm wall is stronger and stiffer than 19 or 25mm ply. I have not used 4mm ply but I have used 4mm MDF and that is plenty stiff too. 6mm MDF is to stiff for the shapes I create.

Once the fiberglass is dry I now epoxy glue strips of lead sheet. This is done one a trial and error basis and the results are emperical. I do this by rapping the box with my knucles and checking for resonances. Once the lead sheet is stuck I brace the box wher the lead sheets is making for a sort of matrix of wood. for bracing I use teak wood (Saag) but intend to graduate to lead shot filled SS pipe someday.

Now on can finish the outer layer of the ply with any surface one wants. I have used duco paint, laminate, veneer, anodised aluminum sheet (0.4mm) and even veneered duco. The last gives a beautiful finish as the veneer gives a very smooth surface for the paint.

I would recommend those interested to study the processes used in Biker Build Off and American Chopper for various parts of this project.

for a 12" Pio woofer I would recommend an aperiodic trapezoidal box (4" damped vent). I have a photo or 2 but my abilities are limited. So I can send the photos by email and maybe someone smarter can upload it.

Last edited by navin : 26th August 2005 at 10:07.
Old 26th August 2005, 10:11   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
My question however is, that doesnt the 9830/33 come with aux input?.
The ipod adapter is the only way your HU will display the ID3 tags and control your ipod. I intend to hide my ipod in the glove compartment and use the HU to control it. I dont have a changer in my car so that does not bother me. Dont need one now that all my music will be on the ipod.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks