Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2005, 00:34   #601
BHPian

sam i finally decided to get he sony sub.model :XS-L122P5

i will be runnin only this sub by the 222(bridged). so is this setup ok.will the amp take it up well

ill be installing tis with the safaris blaupunkt mp3 player..
Old 25th August 2005, 01:10   #602
BHPian

JVC asia Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
does any one have the link for the jvc website.have been trying to located it since a while but im not succesful.so some one please help out.

Rev

Here U go. If u decide on something and able to get prices pls. post here.

http://www.jvc-asia.com/sg/products/caraudio.asp

althoghh some of the posts here sugesst JVC and Sony bothnhave tough time CD_R/RW

Last edited by pranil : 25th August 2005 at 01:17. Reason: Forgotten link
Old 25th August 2005, 10:14   #603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
1. The 9833 HU claims that it has a 60W MAX x 4 V-Drive Power Amplifier
2. What would this be / mean.... -- 3-way or 2-way electronic crossover with adjustale slope??
3. ...3 PreOuts of 4Volts each. ...
4. Regulated 1Bit DAC.....-- whats this??
5. What is a 6 Channel Digital Time correction
1. The 9833 or any HU can really only deliver about 10-12W rms / channel, 0.01%, 20-20khz. so I would recommend the use of an external amplifer with ANY HU. The Power amplifer of ANY HU is a poor substitute

2. The 9833 allows you to send only the mids and high freq to the the 4 full range speakers and send the low freq to the subs. this way your amplifer's filters (low pass or high pass) need not be used. This way you can tinker with the settings while in the driver's seat. Once the settings are done I find no need to keep tinkering.

3. Most common HUs have a 2V level in the RCA out. This signal is meant to drive the power amplifier. the advantage of a 4V signal is 2 fold (only if you are using external amplifers).
a) Since the 4 v signal is louder the amplifer gain can be reduced hence the freq. bandwidth of the driver transistors is increased as they have to do less work. This also improves the CMRR (common mode rejection ratio) of the driving stage. since it is distortion at this stage that gets amplifed by the power transistors of the power amp the total distortion of the signal chain is reduced.
b) since the gain of the external power amp is reduced any noises (alternator whine, etc..) that can be picked up by the power amp is much reduced. this is more noticeable as with the reduced gain much of this noise is below the threshold of the external amplfiers circuits or can be quenched by the external amps circuits.

If this is too complex an explantion (I just re-read it and a more detailed expalation would take a book) just follow G W Bush version. "4V good, 2 V bad, repeat, 4V good, 2 V bad". got it :-)

4. 1 bit DAC are considered by some to be more accurate (actually this is not te right word) than a 16 bit DAC. It has to do with the way present day DACs work. There are 16 and 32 bit DAC not used in commercial applications that can out perform any 1 bit DAC but those cost more than your car. If the DAC has it's own regualted pweor supply it stays more stable and hence it does it's work in a more consistent manner. I hope this is enough. I fear any more will get me fired by the mods.

5. the 4 speakers in your car are at various distance from your ear. time correction allows yo to compensate for this so that the sound from all 4 speakers arrives at your ear at teh same time. Of coruse this can only work for one listening position. I acttually sat over my gear shift lever to arrive at a compromise for the front passengers. the rear passengers get so much reverb it dont make much difference anyway. Analog time correction circuits are large and have their own errors mostly aliasing and phasing errors and in their use it limited to studio use. digital time correction is the version used for the commercial market.
Old 25th August 2005, 10:42   #604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Blankpunt sells an 8" tube in India.
aseem, where would i get a price or model number. thanks in advance.

Last edited by navin : 25th August 2005 at 10:45.
Old 25th August 2005, 10:46   #605
BHPian

Does anybody know where I can get Belden speaker cable in Bangalore?

Navin, Sam, for the rear speaker, does the cable go under the carpet. And how difficult/easy is it to fit the head unit myself.
Old 25th August 2005, 11:04   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rated Output Power:
4 Ch x 50W at 4 ohm (0.04% THD)
2 Ch x 50W + 1 Ch x 120W at 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
4 Ch x 60W at 2 ohm (0.1% THD
none of these specs are complete but they do tell some story.
the specs dont say what the freq. range is. if it is 20-20k it is ok but if it only at 1k. then i would reduce those numbers by about 20%.

My guess is the 504Z will deliver about 40W rms 20-20k 0.04% THD

in bridge mode it delvier 120W and that is not bad (in fact this is effectively 2 x 60W at 2 ohms).

however at 2 ohms the power only goes from 50 to 60W under the same conditions hence the amp is severly current limited and should not be all out used in 2 ohms mode.

typically a good amp will deliver twice the current at 2 ohms than it does at 4 ohms (if its ability to manage low impedances is good).

I would say that you can safely use this amp with 4 speakers in the 2 channels and a sub bridged across the other 2 channels (effectiivly running all 4 channels in 2 ohms) but not for long periods. I would test the amp's heat sinks and see if they get too hot to touch. Ideally the heat sinks should no exceed 70 deg C but I wold prefer a safer operating temp of say 55 deg. C. My home made amp has a thermistor activcated fan that comes on at 55 deg C.
Old 25th August 2005, 11:09   #607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis

Navin, Sam, for the rear speaker, does the cable go under the carpet. And how difficult/easy is it to fit the head unit myself.
I've not seen Belden in India. I get mine from singapore. It does not hurt that my sisters hubby is a bigger audio nut than me.

the rear speaker cable goes under those rubber strips that hold the carpet in place if you are using cable that is too fat for this I would run them just at the end of the carpet but not under the seats.
Old 25th August 2005, 11:11   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sam, just when I think I have asked all the questions I come up with more doubts. Now here is a tricky one. You recommended the JBL bass tube to me, as opposed to the JBL sub in a box which was more expensive. However going through the www.fxaudio.com site, I realized that the bass tube is CS 1200 T and the woofer is GTO 1200 B. Now as per your previous posts you mentioned that the GTO series is for high end audio, and the CS series is for entry level.
So does this mean that although you prefer sound of bass tubes than sub in a factory box, but in this case since the sub/tube are not equally matched, one being in a superior class than the other, implies that the GTO 1200 B is a better option than CS 1200 T. The reason I am more confused is that Naren (the manager at JBL) whose boss you are, wrote off the bass tube and STRONGLY recommended the GTO 1200B as opposed to the bass tube. Please shed some more light, as I dont mind shelling 2k more to get the right sound, since I have waited so long.
Hi Aseem,

The Bass tube has been renamed CS for strategic reasons. The woofer inside is a GT3 series.
Naren is entitled to his opinion as are you. I merely said that "I" prefer the tube sound. I like it lower and slightly boomier.
The GTO1200B is tight and harder. It's a question of sound. Yes to answer your question truthfully, the GTO1200B uses a current GT4 series subwoofer in it and the CS1200T uses last years GT3 series subwoofer. Thats why its 2000 cheaper.

In my Lancer, i prefer to bolt a tube to my back seat. However, when my swift does eventually arrive, I shall be putting in the box.
Old 25th August 2005, 11:13   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak
sam i finally decided to get he sony sub.model :XS-L122P5

i will be runnin only this sub by the 222(bridged). so is this setup ok.will the amp take it up well

ill be installing tis with the safaris blaupunkt mp3 player..

Ya Speedie, its ok!

Happy listening
Old 25th August 2005, 11:19   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis

The JBL store in bangalore sells Belden twisted speaker cable. They have stock on display. There will be 2 gauges available, 16AWG and 12AWG. Call Naren and ask him.

Use the 16AWG for speakers and 12 AWG for the subwoofer, if any.

Fitting the HU is a piece of cake. However, If you're going to the store ask Pritams guy to do it for you. He'll also run the belden cable for you if you like, under the carpet.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 25th August 2005 at 11:21.
Old 25th August 2005, 11:22   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I've not seen Belden in India.
NAHEE!!!!Check with your friends first lol!
Old 25th August 2005, 12:04   #612
Senior - BHPian

Hi Navin, This one requires your expertise. My freind here has decided to go for an Alpine unit on my advise. He wants to know the benefit/gain of going in for 9833 as opposed to 9830 barring the looks. As we have seen that the 9833 looks much better than the 9830. The question is more around, I know 9833 has bass pro vs bass gain in 9830 but does 9833 have visible audio features/sound that make spending 3k more worth it. We both are almost broke so bang for a buck is very important. If there is great difference than we can beg on MG road and come up with extra 3k else we will be happy with 9830. Please advise.
Old 25th August 2005, 12:10   #613
Team-BHP Support

bang for the buck the 9830 wins. they share the same internals. the 9833 is for those who just want more (not need more).
to quote "The Stones"

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need
Old 25th August 2005, 12:11   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
NAHEE!!!!Check with your friends first lol!
Do they have Belden Silver too? I want to use it for my EL84 internal wiring.
Old 25th August 2005, 12:12   #615
Team-BHP Support

BTW the El84 is on hold for now because the friend of mine who was gonna roll me the trannys has some family issues he has to deal with first.

Most Viewed