Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:02   #13306
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I have ordered the Daytons (Dayton audio DC28F), pod fabrication would have to be done for them.
The flange size of the Daytons is over 4" !!!. It's not meant for car installations and will require a serious pod to get it to fit.

Why don't you look at tweeters that are specifically designed for car installations. I have ordered several items from Madisound over the years and had them mailed to me without any issues.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-tweeters/

Good Luck.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:49   #13307
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pioneer Park Brake Wire Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm installing a Pioneer AVH 8890BT HU now and need help with the park brake wire. Where do i connect it to?
Sankar, did you check these:

+ there is one more 4 min video on that page.

And a note to read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarAV/comme...ting_firmware/

Last edited by condor : 2nd November 2016 at 18:50.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:12   #13308
BANNED

Re: Pioneer Park Brake Wire Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sankar, did you check these:
+ there is one more 4 min video on that page.

And a note to read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarAV/comme...ting_firmware/
Thanks Sir. Since I had Kenwood DDX415BT headunit installed in the vehicle before delivery the pioneer parkwire just had to be connected to the parkwire already wired in for the Kenwood for it to work and video playback was tested using a DVD. The SQ is a few notches above the Kenwood 415BT.

I think the Pioneers sold in our market has simpler systems compared to new units in US which require handbrake to be applied then released and then again applied to enable video playback.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th November 2016 at 19:32. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
Old 4th November 2016, 11:26   #13309
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
In the meanwhile, I have ordered the Daytons, pod fabrication would have to be done for them.
Ok before you proceed let me caution you of some pitfalls.

1. The entire flange of the Dayton will have to be removed. This is a job for very skilled hands.
2. the cavity behind the tweeter changes the Fs of the tweeter. So if you are making custom pods the Fs of the Dayton will change. However given that the Dayton is derived from the old Audax 34mm design I do not envisage too much trouble there.
3. The off axis response of the Dayton will also change. My guess is it will become more ragged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
PS, why the dayton?
The Dayton and many other 30mm+ domes have designs based on the old Audax 34mm dome from, I don't know, 1978? 1980? somewhere in that era. I have used this dome in the early 80's when refurbishing a Dahlquist DQ10. They are pretty rugged with and Fs around 800-900Hz. Linear x-max is also around 1mm which is admirable for a tweeter. So it is a reliable design. Pretty decent off axis response too with that 100mm flange. Take away the flange and the off axis response gets ragged though.

Last edited by navin : 4th November 2016 at 11:28.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 11:37   #13310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The flange size of the Daytons is over 4" !!!. It's not meant for car installations and will require a serious pod to get it to fit.

Why don't you look at tweeters that are specifically designed for car installations. I have ordered several items from Madisound over the years and had them mailed to me without any issues.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-tweeters/

Good Luck.
In my effort to get the system onto a working platform, I did this. Now, the flange size will be an issue. I am thinking of doing a DIY thing for the pods, of course with help from experts here, but only once I have the tweeters actually with me. I shall try and get another pair for standby, just in case.

I am getting a pair of hifonics zeus zxi6.5c's tweeters. these match for the size, though the technicals are not clear. Should I go ahead with these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ok before you proceed let me caution you of some pitfalls.

1. The entire flange of the Dayton will have to be removed. This is a job for very skilled hands.
2. the cavity behind the tweeter changes the Fs of the tweeter. So if you are making custom pods the Fs of the Dayton will change. However given that the Dayton is derived from the old Audax 34mm design I do not envisage too much trouble there.
3. The off axis response of the Dayton will also change. My guess is it will become more ragged.

The Dayton and many other 30mm+ domes have designs based on the old Audax 34mm dome from, I don't know, 1978? 1980? somewhere in that era. I have used this dome in the early 80's when refurbishing a Dahlquist DQ10. They are pretty rugged with and Fs around 800-900Hz. Linear x-max is also around 1mm which is admirable for a tweeter. So it is a reliable design. Pretty decent off axis response too with that 100mm flange. Take away the flange and the off axis response gets ragged though.
As of today, I have no other option but the daytons. If the design of the pods is of a flower shape, can the Fs be kept as is?
Old 4th November 2016, 11:46   #13311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am getting a pair of hifonics zeus zxi6.5c's tweeters. these match for the size, though the technicals are not clear. Should I go ahead with these?

As of today, I have no other option but the daytons. If the design of the pods is of a flower shape, can the Fs be kept as is?
The Zesu has 12mm silk domes. The Fs of these is typically over 2000hz. Look for a 19mm silk dome tweeter. It would be better suited for this application. The Zeus will work but you have to be careful not to turn it up too loud.

Changing the rear cavity of the Dayton will change the Fs. Without knowing exactly what you are changing my best guess is NO your Fs will not remain as low as 900Hz. I cant even guess what the new Fs will be, it is best to have them measured once the new pods are made.

That said with a XO of 4000hz, you are ok if the tweeter has a Fs of 2000hz as long as you crossover at 12db/octave or more. This is not a tall ask.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 12:29   #13312
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if these will work for you, maybe Navin could help. Just verifying, but the Dayton Audio DC28F-8 you have been told to buy are nominal 8 ohms. Car speakers are usually 4 ohms!!

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-pair--275-195
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 17:43   #13313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Zesu has 12mm silk domes. The Fs of these is typically over 2000hz. Look for a 19mm silk dome tweeter. It would be better suited for this application. The Zeus will work but you have to be careful not to turn it up too loud.

Changing the rear cavity of the Dayton will change the Fs. Without knowing exactly what you are changing my best guess is NO your Fs will not remain as low as 900Hz. I cant even guess what the new Fs will be, it is best to have them measured once the new pods are made.

That said with a XO of 4000hz, you are ok if the tweeter has a Fs of 2000hz as long as you crossover at 12db/octave or more. This is not a tall ask.
the zeus comps have a very steep 18db/octave crossover for the tweeters. If it is crossed over lower, it might not be a problem(not able to find the crossover point for these online), but if the zeus tweeter is designed to handle 4k and up only, and you run it off a 6db slope crossover, there is a strong chance you might blow them up as well

also, the daytons are 8ohm tweets, so you'll end up
1. crossing over a bit lower at 2K, which is ok, you'll get a peak around there, but your audison should be able to smooth it out
2. your comps will be at 2 ohms at some point ( since both woofer and tweeter will be active now from 2k to 4k) so make sure your amp is rated to handle 2 ohm loads
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 19:48   #13314
Senior - BHPian

Sorry - I searched but couldn't quite find a full answer

I have a 2014 amaze that comes with a mitsubishi HU (not the alpine HU that came with the top end model) and -

1. I would like a reasonably priced 2 din head unit that supports Bluetooth along with the USB and aux that this stock one provides

2. The stock HU has a weird layout with the USB port well below the HU (close to the cigarette lighter point) - a USB port dangling out on a cable, silly sort of design. How does the new HU's USB wire to this port without disabling or cutting the existing USB cable and port?

3. There are some pioneer HUs that say they provide compatibility with the steering mounted controls of "certain Japanese and Korean cars" but don't support CANBUS. Does the amaze fall under the category of a certain Japanese or Korean car - in other words is there any HU that is directly compatible with the existing steering mounted control buttons instead of removing them and adding on a different set of buttons from the new HU?

4. I think the amaze HU is just about too big to fit into the 2 DIN space available in my wife's old i10 (2009 i10 Era that has a horrible cheap old Sony xplod fitted), what's the safest way to fit this existing HU into the i10 - I would love it if this is possible instead of junking the existing HU, which is ok except that I need bluetooth, the sound quality even with the existing HU is adequate for my needs after I replaced the existing speakers with pioneers.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Old 5th November 2016, 22:05   #13315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sorry - I searched but couldn't quite find a full answer

I have a 2014 amaze that comes with a mitsubishi HU (not the alpine HU that came with the top end model) and -

1. I would like a reasonably priced 2 din head unit that supports Bluetooth along with the USB and aux that this stock one provides

2. The stock HU has a weird layout with the USB port well below the HU (close to the cigarette lighter point) - a USB port dangling out on a cable, silly sort of design. How does the new HU's USB wire to this port without disabling or cutting the existing USB cable and port?

3. There are some pioneer HUs that say they provide compatibility with the steering mounted controls of "certain Japanese and Korean cars" but don't support CANBUS. Does the amaze fall under the category of a certain Japanese or Korean car - in other words is there any HU that is directly compatible with the existing steering mounted control buttons instead of removing them and adding on a different set of buttons from the new HU?

4. I think the amaze HU is just about too big to fit into the 2 DIN space available in my wife's old i10 (2009 i10 Era that has a horrible cheap old Sony xplod fitted), what's the safest way to fit this existing HU into the i10 - I would love it if this is possible instead of junking the existing HU, which is ok except that I need bluetooth, the sound quality even with the existing HU is adequate for my needs after I replaced the existing speakers with pioneers.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
You can try any of the new Pio 2 DIN HUs. Look for something that has time alignment and other features in case you decide to upgrade your speakers and add an amp etc in the future
Old 5th November 2016, 22:16   #13316
Senior - BHPian

Thanks - got a specific model that you would recommend in pioneer?

I don't plan to add an amp - and the pioneer speakers I upgraded to are a huge improvement over the paper speakers that came stock with the Amaze.

My major need is bluetooth without having to use a headset and hurt my ears on long drives else I have a fairly decent plantronics unit for that purpose that I've been using for a while. That and not having to change a single thing from the existing steering wheel or anything else other than just the HU and possibly a harness to fit it.

Some slight increase in sound quality over and above what the speaker upgrade brought me would be a bonus, but not particularly a must have feature.

(mods please merge)

Finally settled on the pioneer avh x5890bt - which I bought from paytm for 26k odd + some 6k cashback.

https://pioneer-india.in/product/avh-x5890bt/

Never bought anything this expensive from paytm though, hope this works out well touch wood.

Last edited by navin : 7th November 2016 at 11:01.
Old 6th November 2016, 19:26   #13317
BHPian

Quote:
(mods please merge)

Finally settled on the pioneer avh x5890bt - which I bought from paytm for 26k odd + some 6k cashback.

https://pioneer-india.in/product/avh-x5890bt/

Never bought anything this expensive from paytm though, hope this works out well touch wood.
Excellent choice. I've been using an AVH5790BT, for the last nearly two years. 5890 looks like an upgrade of the 5790. Very user friendly, loaded with features and good VFM. The price also looks good at about 20K after cashback. Paytm is quite reliable in my experience, since I shop extensively there. And as I mentioned before, this HU is good for using in future upgrades as well, since it has all requisite audiophile features, such as Time Alignment. I strongly recommend an upgrade to a decent amp and basic components, such as Hertz ESK two-way components to get the most out of this HU. I got this fitted for one of my friends in his Amaze, and he still thanks me for it to this day

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 6th November 2016 at 19:27.
Old 6th November 2016, 19:52   #13318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally settled on the pioneer avh x5890bt
This HU seems to support Android / iPhone apps too.

This HU supports "App Radio", so you should be able to connect Android / iPhone to HU as well (and run few apps on HU's screen like Navigation).

Would it be possible for you to try Google Maps on this HU ?
Old 6th November 2016, 20:45   #13319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This HU seems to support Android / iPhone apps too.

This HU supports "App Radio", so you should be able to connect Android / iPhone to HU as well (and run few apps on HU's screen like Navigation).

Would it be possible for you to try Google Maps on this HU ?
They estimate delivery by friday or so, the unit is being shipped over from Chandigarh (and that too from the small poky street full of auto parts shops part of Chandigarh, oh well).

iPhone compatible apps - they say - include some stuff I haven't ever heard of, called navmii and navitel. Google says that this is some russian vendor map vendor, and a little more googling shows me that they use mapmyindia content here in India.

There's this youtube video where some guy hacked a similar (but not this) pioneer unit to use google maps from his iPhone

Old 7th November 2016, 13:30   #13320
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer strictly does not honor any warranty on products bought online. Their boxes have a sticker saying that so remember that. You would have been much better off buying from an authorized dealer in your city with bill and 2 years warranty. Most of them give around 30% discounts on MRP. I'm using the FH-X789BT.

Most Viewed