Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2005, 23:48   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
mclaren, a speaker needs room to breathe. bigger is not always better. been there done that even in the old zen the 5" sounded better (both were Vifa).
ya i know..so might have to go in for just the 5.25'' ones..sam can u pls quote the prices of infinity components and the coaxials..might go in 4 infinity if budget permits..that is the ref5010cs and any matching coaxials u feel will sound good..might just be able to squeeze the deal out..if not is it wise to go in for the infinity compos and coaxials and maybe later upgrade to a sub or is it better to go in for gto506ce and 636/8626/936...and the cs1200t with 502 and 504..need ur inputs..only infinity compos and coaxials or the jbl compos,coaxials and the sub..
Old 20th September 2005, 10:52   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Dude, it's different sounds and different prices.

Couple of points. In JBL you mentioned 636 (3 way 6" round)/8626 (5X7 ford specific speaker)/ and 936 (generic 6X9 speaker)
All 3 different. The 8626e is endemic to certain american cars. It doesnt even come with a Grill!! why would you want that in a zen?
The Infinity ref 5010Cs cost about Rs.8000/- and Ref Ovals cost Rs 7000/-

The Kappas are more expensive. It's your call mate, the JBL speakers & Infinity speakers are apples and oranges.
Old 20th September 2005, 11:22   #93
Senior - BHPian

Just a suggestion to any freinds going in for JBL 606E. Last week it rained heavily in Delhi, I noticed that my right tweater in the driver door is not working. Took it to the dealer and when he opened the door, I could see there was water all over the crossover. Since the crossover too like JBL speakers comes with a meshed grill and is not fully covered, water had gone into my crossover spoiling the circuitry.
So just keep this in mind and make sure that your installer installs your crossover in such a place where water does not seep in easily!
Old 20th September 2005, 12:04   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

What are you doing with the spoiled crossover aseem? I think it's the perfect time to make that modification
Old 20th September 2005, 12:13   #95
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

thanks sam for the info..will stay away from the 8626..thanks again..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th September 2005 at 12:29.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:52   #96
BHPian

You can even install a 8" speaker on the zen's front doors. You will have to cut half the door pad and make a fibre glass enclosure for the speakers. I had it in my earlier zen. It was a '99 year model.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:58   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
You can even install a 8" speaker on the zen's front doors. You will have to cut half the door pad and make a fibre glass enclosure for the speakers. I had it in my earlier zen. It was a '99 year model.
This is inspiring My freind mood went for components in his scorpio by cutting the door pad... he had to modify his power windows to accomodate his Alpine components, now he cant open his windows completely....
Old 20th September 2005, 14:04   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
This is inspiring My freind mood went for components in his scorpio by cutting the door pad... he had to modify his power windows to accomodate his Alpine components, now he cant open his windows completely....
The way it was installed in my car, the window could come down completely. As they were made to come out of the door pad by about 2/3" and the speakers were not facing each other but were tilted into the cabin by about 30/40 degrees.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
What are you doing with the spoiled crossover aseem? I think it's the perfect time to make that modification
I have to start googling about how to make crossovers For real, I am not kidding! I am not an Electronics major, so have to learn the stuff before I can venture to this myself. Once I know what and how I will do with the crossovers, I will most likely contact you guys as to where to source the equipment from. At the present time however, the setup is working without the tweeter.
I am not sure I can use the existing crossover and modify it, as the existing crossover has bubbles due to water (I am not sure if it burnt, or if its the water) in any case thats something I have to live with!
Old 20th September 2005, 14:23   #100
BHPian

Crossover

What was the crossover doing in door. Why it is not under the bonnet or something. That way u have less wires coming from door.

BTW. any restrictions or advise for distance from crossover to speakers and HU. What about two midrange and tweeter cables running together any induction coupling there.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:30   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranil
What was the crossover doing in door. Why it is not under the bonnet or something. That way u have less wires coming from door.

BTW. any restrictions or advise for distance from crossover to speakers and HU. What about two midrange and tweeter cables running together any induction coupling there.
Hi Pranil,

It is the default place for the crossover. The factory wires run from the HU to the door and then from there, it can be split to the mid and the tweeter.
It is possible to place the crossover elsewhere, but it's a wiring nightmare. If the crossover it OUTSIDE the dor, instead of having one wire coming to the door, you will have 3 pairs....

Advice for distance: Thumbrule: Shortest possible, as little wire as possible whenever possible.

No, go ahead and run 2 mid and tweeter cables together, no problems.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:46   #102
BHPian

Corssover in dashboard or door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hi Pranil,

It is the default place for the crossover. The factory wires run from the HU to the door and then from there, it can be split to the mid and the tweeter.
It is possible to place the crossover elsewhere, but it's a wiring nightmare. If the crossover it OUTSIDE the dor, instead of having one wire coming to the door, you will have 3 pairs....

Advice for distance: Thumbrule: Shortest possible, as little wire as possible whenever possible.

No, go ahead and run 2 mid and tweeter cables together, no problems.
But I thought when u place Tweeters on the dash it will be simpler as these wires otherwise will come from door .

That means door will have two pair of wires one coming from HU and second going to tweeters.

if u place the corssover in dashboard only one set of wires i.e. those going to midrange door speakers..

Any coolling restrictions on the crossover.

Last edited by pranil : 20th September 2005 at 14:53. Reason: speel check
Old 20th September 2005, 14:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I thought when u place Tweeters on the dash it will be simpler as these wires otherwise will come from door .

That means door will have two pair of wires one coming from HU and second going to tweeters.

if u place the corssover in dashboard only one set of wires i.e. those going to midrange door speakers..

Any colling rstrictions on the crossover.
Hi Pranil, to put things in prespective my setup is with respect to Swift. The swift has speaker level cabling in the doors, with 6" speaker space available in the door itself. I have my mid bass woofer placed in the door itself. My tweeters are placed on the rear view adjuster panels on the inside. The crossover had thus been placed on the door.

Sam do crossovers require breathing? The reason I ask is that I have seen that non-jbl components dont have the mesh grill on their cross overs. They are completely covered in plastic. So will it be a good idea to roll plastic on JBL crossovers so as to avoid water going into them in the future? Is the grill design just cosmetic, or does it have to with the fact that crossovers tend to get warm and will require air flow to keep em cool. Let me know so that I can take my future course of action!

Last edited by aseem : 20th September 2005 at 14:52.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:52   #104
BHPian

HU to drive SUB

Last time nobody commented except aseem. I already have the HU now.

Have to decide between COaxials or SUB in the back. Maybe Navin/Gunbir/Sam would like to comment

BTW the car has landed today in Mumbai. taking delivery tommrrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anybody tried driving the sub directly off the HU.

It is pioneer indicated option

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefron...ectSubDrive.jpg

OR

I am thinking of getting Pioneer 7750 alongwith front comps ( Most probably JBL 606Ce) and a sub for my getz. I have to decide if I will add sub now or coaxials in back side.

Pioneer claims 22W rms per channel that means paralled roughly 44 W rms at 4 Ohm for the sub.

Will it be sufficient to give good bass effect.

As suggested by GUNBIR I was thinking about SUB in the speare wheel area.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:55   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last time nobody commented except aseem. I already have the HU now.

Have to decide between COaxials or SUB in the back. Maybe Navin/Gunbir/Sam would like to comment

BTW the car has landed today in Mumbai. taking delivery tommrrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anybody tried driving the sub directly off the HU.

It is pioneer indicated option

I am thinking of getting Pioneer 7750 alongwith front comps ( Most probably JBL 606Ce) and a sub for my getz. I have to decide if I will add sub now or coaxials in back side.

Pioneer claims 22W rms per channel that means paralled roughly 44 W rms at 4 Ohm for the sub.

Will it be sufficient to give good bass effect.

As suggested by GUNBIR I was thinking about SUB in the speare wheel area.
Congrats on the car

While you wait for the experts to chip in. I STRONGLY recommend AGAINST using the HU to drive the subwoofer. Most subwoofers have 250 watt RMS, and running them on 22 W RMS will be like running a 200 watt bulb with 15 watt current. It will light... but you see the point!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks