Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2005, 20:13   #151
doc

Santro Xing needs sound!

Hi,

Am new to your site - got here 2 hours ago, and havent left! - First off, hats off to you guys for the terrific discussion and quality of adivce - bravo! It prompted me to join and post.

I am planning to get a system for my Santro Xing (that currently has none). I am not an audiphile but like music (soft rock, moderate volume, tight bass that goes low but does not boom) and have some notion of clean sound vs the painful alternative. I'm hoping to buy the system in the next 48 hours (now Sunday night) while my music nut brother in law is in town so would really appreciate some input ASAP!

My questions to the experts:

For a modest budget under 15k (OK, 20k if it is REALLY necessary) -

1. What would be a good setup (HU without tape deck, speakers?) giving clean sound, nice tonal range and fidelity? I have seen recs of going just with good front components (putting $$ here) running off the HU and a sub and skipping the rears entirely- is this a good or bad approach?

2. For the Xing, would the factory speaker positions (under the front dash facing forwards and the rear on either side of the deck) be good enough or go with front door/deck/some other site?

3. Any specific advice (other than what is already on this thread) regarding installation precautions? I dont care about losing storage space in the trunk if a sub is put in.

4. Being in Kochi, it would be difficult to get a big range of brands, but JBL, blau, pioneer, sony are easy enough - others would need digging around - JK, being Kerala based, any advice on sales/installation places to check out in Kochi?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 30th October 2005, 20:24   #152
Senior - BHPian

doc, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...&page=20&pp=15 check it out.
Old 30th October 2005, 20:32   #153
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
Hi,

Am new to your site - got here 2 hours ago, and havent left! - First off, hats off to you guys for the terrific discussion and quality of adivce - bravo! It prompted me to join and post.

I am planning to get a system for my Santro Xing (that currently has none). I am not an audiphile but like music (soft rock, moderate volume, tight bass that goes low but does not boom) and have some notion of clean sound vs the painful alternative. I'm hoping to buy the system in the next 48 hours (now Sunday night) while my music nut brother in law is in town so would really appreciate some input ASAP!

1. What would be a good setup (HU without tape deck, speakers?) giving clean sound, nice tonal range and fidelity? I have seen recs of going just with good front components (putting $$ here) running off the HU and a sub and skipping the rears entirely- is this a good or bad approach?

2. For the Xing, would the factory speaker positions (under the front dash facing forwards and the rear on either side of the deck) be good enough or go with front door/deck/some other site?

3. Any specific advice (other than what is already on this thread) regarding installation precautions? I dont care about losing storage space in the trunk if a sub is put in.

4. Being in Kochi, it would be difficult to get a big range of brands, but JBL, blau, pioneer, sony are easy enough - others would need digging around - JK, being Kerala based, any advice on sales/installation places to check out in Kochi?

Thanks in advance!!
hey doc..1st thing i would suggest is keep a mimimum of 20 k budget in mind for a good sounding setup..
well 1st thing is u mentioned about wanting some tight punchy bass,so that means u would need a sub in a sealed enclosure..and a amp good enough to drive it..that would primararily mean a HU with 3 preouts to get the best out of the system..

HUs with 3 preouts :
1. sony 7710 at 9k (without B&W)..
2. pioneer 7750 at 9k again without B&W..
this is the one of the more important links to ur setup if not the most..so always look for a HU with 3 preouts..

speakers:
i think the santro will take in good components in the front(though something tells me the stock location is just for 4''..so ul need to modify a bit if its ok with u)..so advice u stick to compos at the front for optimum results..if not go for good 4''..
at the back u can use simple 6'' coaxials as just filler as im sure u would want a sub to go with this..if not in a position to get a sub and a amp u can rather go in for 6x9's which would give u a good amount of bass as the cone surface area is almost similar to that of a 8'' sub..so the pick is urs depending on the budget..
as for the sub im sure u got a lot of choices available in the market..to get a tight punchy bass u would require a mdf sealed box which any local guy can custom design for u..if u can post the specs of the speakers maybe the guys can also give u design details for ur sealed enclosure..
so i suggest u spend
1. 9k for the HU..
2. 5k for the compos..
3. 4k for the rears..
4. a sub and a sealed enclosure for about 6k(sony,pios)..
5. about 5k for the amp..
i know this puts things way out of budget so u can go in for a pair of 6x9's from a good brand and avoid the sub and the amp for the time being..
PS: based on further inputs from u we can suggest u the brands and the pricing on the same..so confirm if u are willing to go in for a sub and a amp and overshoot ur budget by a long long mile..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 30th October 2005 at 20:40.
Old 30th October 2005, 20:37   #154
Senior - BHPian

............deletd this............................................

Last edited by jkdas : 30th October 2005 at 20:43.
Old 30th October 2005, 20:42   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
Hi,

Thanks in advance!!
1. HU: alpine my first choice. sony if u want warranty. pioneer if u dont want warranty ..

alpine 13k start
sony 5k start i guess ( i use a cdx 7500)
pioneer..

2. stay with 4 inchers at frnt , yah the company provided place.

jbl 426e... 2.5k b&w
hertz 2.6 b&w (donno teh spec, availablity in kerala..ehem,)
sony 1.2rs
pio...similar 2 sonys i guess
boston.. -do-

rear...

jbls compos( 606...6k , i use them)
jbl 6*9 4.5k?

many would say pios 6*9 give better bass.

3. sub? emm.box if u like it tight ( sam, stop grinning)
tube if u like boooommmm booooooommmm

mate, get a good frnt speakers ( 2.5k)
rear fill-in's 6*9 (4.5k max)
amp sony 502z (2.5-2.7k)
or, blaunpunkt PA275 (3.2.-3.8k)
sub: Box/tube (6-9k)
cables: (2-3k)

hertz sub 12inch+ box u can get 4 10k approx and 8in+box for
almost 8 k? but u have 2 wait 4 it ...guys?

power sub frm amp and rest frm HU

OR

amp sony 504z (3.5-3.7k ?)

power compos frm amp and the also the sub frm amp.

i maybe able 2 help u with prices ( sam, ahem )
Old 30th October 2005, 20:44   #156
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
1. HU: alpine my first choice. sony if u want warranty. pioneer if u dont want warranty ..

alpine 13k start
sony 5k start i guess ( i use a cdx 7500)
pioneer..

2. stay with 4 inchers at frnt , yah the company provided place.

jbl 426e... 2.5k b&w
hertz 2.6 b&w (donno teh spec, availablity in kerala..ehem,)
sony 1.2rs
pio...similar 2 sonys i guess
boston.. -do-

rear...

jbls compos( 606...6k , i use them)
jbl 6*9 4.5k?

many would say pios 6*9 give better bass.

3. sub? emm.box if u like it tight ( sam, stop grinning)
tube if u like boooommmm booooooommmm

amp sony 502z (2.5-2.7k)
thats a good config JK but that would primararily shift the soundstage to the rear doesnt it ?? but again its personal choice as i once upon a time loved soundstage coming from the rear and now exactly the opposite..so its a personal pick id say..based on that we would need to configure a system..
Old 30th October 2005, 20:49   #157
Senior - BHPian

mcl... mate prices r a bit high here in kerala (unless jbls helps )

and abt amp; remember i may owe u one

and doc,.... get an mdf at the back for the rear speakers (800rs max).

and abt compos at frnt.. u need 2 cut the door thingy at the frnt... and maybe go 4 custom fiber stuff. ( takes time and money)

p.s. I would go 4 compos at frnt if i could ( custom fibre glassdoor panel ) and a real fill and SUB :x :x ( 2 amps pls)

so the rate :
HUs with 3 preouts :
1. sony 7710 at 9k (without B&W)..
2. pioneer 7750 at 9k again without B&W..
3. frnt 1.5 to 2.5 ( sony/jbl)
4 rear fills (4.5 max
Total : 16k

add an amp ( like 504z ) to power all speakers + fitting = 20k

somthing me and mcl missed. u can have a sub on the rear tray (mdf) if u like booommmm boooooom . works out cheaper. (2.5k for sub + 2.5k amp). u have 2 have nice IB setup 4 good effect in this case

Last edited by jkdas : 30th October 2005 at 20:58.
Old 30th October 2005, 20:54   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
mcl... mate prices r a bit high here in kerala (unless jbls helps )

and abt amp; remember i may owe u one

and doc,.... get an mdf at the back for the rear speakers (800rs max).
well ya !!!! btw whats the price diff to what we pay here..
no problemo JK..i would be glad to help a fellow bhpian..
ans ya forgot about the wiring and tray too..so doc add another 2k for that..
Old 30th October 2005, 20:59   #159
Senior - BHPian

lol... u posted in b/w while i was editing!
Old 30th October 2005, 23:42   #160
doc

JK and Mcl -

MANY thanks for the pronto replies. Very helpful. Will have printouts of all this when we go hunting.

I prefer a front soundstage (which was why I was considering the idea of either deleting or having only small rears and using the $ saved towards improving the rest of the stuff)

HU - I think Alpine would be over budget - pio/sony/blau - should be fine. Not very bothered about warranty. What if I went with a "grey market" pio - there was a place offering them at around 4.5k with a 1 year service warranty (since this was when I first started surveying the field, didnt note the model number). And if a pio is good enough for Sam's surprise, then hey, it must be doing something right......right? And if a JBL discount materializes (hint, hint), then sign me up!

Fronts - any utility in having separate tweets say on top of the dash, and a midrange in the factory space or the door vs a coaxial -would it improve the soundstage?

To sub or not to sub - maybe JK would know this well having a Santro - would really good rear 3-ways (say Rs. 7k) give you enough of the low end (to at least 40 Hz) so that the bass is clearly THERE though not pounding in your chest? I really need just tight, bass guitar-like bass.

I sort of like JK's suggestion:

Maybe if I upped the $ on the front and decreased it proportionately in the rear (to improve the front soundstage), I would be somewhere near budget if the HU (not in the JK extract above) was a grey pio.....?
Old 31st October 2005, 03:41   #161
BANNED

well doc then i would suggest go for a pioneer 7750 at 9k..not too sure how much modifications ud have to do to accomodate the components in the front...for a good front soundtage its advisable to go for the components,so pls check on that..and for the rear u can always get a 6x9 that will give u a good amount of bass in the absence of a sub..so
1. hu at 9k..
2. compos at 5.5k
3. 6x9's( if ur not using a sub) at 4.7k for jbl or pioneer 6990 at 3k..
4. sony 504 to power both the speakers at 3.8k..
5. spend some 1.5k on good wiring too as thats too important to miss out on and a lot depends on it..well u have already overshot ur budget but thats the best u can get to..
Old 31st October 2005, 03:48   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
JK and Mcl -

(And if a pio is good enough for Sam's surprise, then hey, it must be doing something right......right?

And if a JBL discount materializes (hint, hint), then sign me up!
hahahaha...sam u better read this...another reminder of ur pioneer HU's lol !!!! looks like we will be reminding u of them for a long long time to come !!!!!
and im sure that sam would do something for a fellow tbhpian..

PS: viveks CCTB and sams pioneer HU's /blunderous attempts at translations/and obviously the KBC wave will be the highlight of this ICE forum for a long long time to come..
Old 31st October 2005, 12:05   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Kya Hint Hint. Everybody in here knows about me helping fellow TBPians. Saala, even people that dont know audio from their aunties know that i help. What hint hint
Old 31st October 2005, 12:39   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc

Of the HUs that are price under 8K I like the Blau. I've heard the older model and it was nicer than the sony or pio.

So consider 8K for a blau HU with 2 pre outs.
Add a Sony 504 for the front speakers and sub budget 4K.
Run the rear from the HU

I dont know any 4" comps available (I needed a pair recently and had to build my own) so you'd have to use 4" coax in the front budget 2.5-3K for the front JBL 426e or Blau Tsx 102

Get a pair of 6" coax for the rear. Since you got a sub you dont need a 6x9. Budget 3K for these. JBL 636 or Blau TSx 170

Add a tube sub like the JBL 1200T for 6K and 3K for wires.

Budget: 8K + 4K + 6K + 6K + 3K = 27K with wires and install.
Old 31st October 2005, 12:43   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Of the HUs that are price under 8K I like the Blau. I've heard the older model and it was nicer than the sony or pio.

So consider 8K for a blau HU with 2 pre outs.Add a Sony 504 for the front speakers and sub budget 4K.
Run the rear from the HU

I dont know any 4" comps available (I needed a pair recently and had to build my own) so you'd have to use 4" coax in the front budget 2.5-3K for the front JBL 426e or Blau Tsx 102

Get a pair of 6" coax for the rear. Since you got a sub you dont need a 6x9. Budget 3K for these. JBL 636 or Blau TSx 170

Add a tube sub like the JBL 1200T for 6K and 3K for wires.

Budget: 8K + 4K + 6K + 6K + 3K = 27K with wires and install.
why not get a pioneer 7750 at 9k with 3 preouts!!! that seems to be a better choice..
could u shed a bit more light on that and also keep JK occupied with some pics navin..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks