Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2005, 19:16   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Afterall the main reason i want to get it from USA is the QUALITY and then bit of PRICE REDUCTION ADVANTAGE.

Thanx in advance...
What quality advantage are you expecting from a product coming from the USA but most probably manufactured in China or some part of Asia!!?
Old 13th October 2005, 19:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
What quality advantage are you expecting from a product coming from the USA but most probably manufactured in China or some part of Asia!!?
There is definitely a quality advantage in US. Firstly, they have a lot wider product range available there under one roof. Secondaly you rest assured that your product is genuine and not a fake. Lastly for products that are not imported in bulk, like polk, kenwood, abahn, and not so common brands here there is a huge price gap. Have you wondered how few 5 channel amps are available in our market and at what cost?.... it seems the only amp in 100 dollar price range is Sony 504. For example, mobile dvd market has not matured in India, but such touch screen based systems with integrated GPS are becoming common in US. A Gensen touch screen based audio system might cost 600 dollars in US, but around 60k here... so do the maths Same is true for Ipods.. etc and on and on....

Last edited by aseem : 13th October 2005 at 19:33.
Old 13th October 2005, 19:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last question is difficult one and u guys have always said that its individual's own taste and choice but i still want to ask whether my system will be better than most of systems usually installed in India like pioneer,sony,blaupunkt,kenwood, jvc or even hertz and JBL ????[sorry sam and gunbir].
Dr sahab, that is a toughie... will my fracture heal better than his, will my vision be better than his... The answer is, if you are buying online, take a leap of faith...

That said, its your hard earned money and to be sure, I suggest you audition the speakers to know which sounds best to you.

Infinity, Hertz, Alpine are higher rung products than sony, pioneer, blau or kenwood...
Old 13th October 2005, 20:01   #109
BHPian

I fully agree with aseem.I think we sometime overrate china factor.Though China is fast becoming no.1 economy but some of western countries like USA,UK,Germany and Italy will always be ahead in technology and quality.

We all know what had happened to most of cheap chinese stuff except few.Most of the stuff they produce in bulk is crap and then try to sell it to whole world.

I wud trust Indian stuff then china anyday.The main reason why i am buying system from USA is that i can get the better stuff [i hope so] at about same price than in India.

Even if everything available in USA is from china,atleast it will have USA stamp of required quality.

I have made up my mind that i am going for ALPINE HU,INFINTY SPEAKERS with AMPLIFIER whehther these r available in India or USA but shud be within my budget of 25-30k EVEN IF I HAVE TO WAIT FOR FEW MONTHS.
Old 13th October 2005, 21:47   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have made up my mind that i am going for ALPINE HU,INFINTY SPEAKERS with AMPLIFIER whehther these r available in India or USA but shud be within my budget of 25-30k EVEN IF I HAVE TO WAIT FOR FEW MONTHS.
20-30 k budget?

i doubt if u can get stuffs within it. i already spend 10k for frnt and rear speakers. i had the HU and an amp. i would need another 15-16k for another sub + amp.

edit: unless u go shopping at grey market

Last edited by jkdas : 13th October 2005 at 22:06.
Old 13th October 2005, 22:24   #111
Team-BHP Support

Rsjaurr, what you will get in the US is slightly better prices and wider selection. Howevr if you have a problem you have to take it back to the US. If you buy in India you have an Indian neck to catch. That must be worth something.

In short buy in the US only if you are looking at a product that is not available in india or so if you feel that the 10% save over local prices is worth the risk of not having a neck to catch.
Old 14th October 2005, 15:57   #112
BHPian

Quote:
20-30 k budget?

i doubt if u can get stuffs within it. i already spend 10k for frnt and rear speakers. i had the HU and an amp. i would need another 15-16k for another sub + amp.

edit: unless u go shopping at grey market
Thats exactly my reason to buy the stuff from USA.For 600$ i can get a decent system from there as compared to in India where i may have to spend 40-50k for same stuff. Very good example is Alpine 9847 HU which is available for 170-200$ in USA but back in India its almost double the cost.Same is the case with speakers and amplifier.Infact few models which i want to buy r not even available here.[I talked to Sam's man in Punjab].

I know it will be BIG risk but dont we have to always take the risk to get something better in life!!!!!!!! Also most od car audio sytems in India r from gray market.

I can understand that i guys r bit worried about this aspect and this shows that i am with really nice guys.Thanx a lot for showing concern for me and advising such concerns.

Actually i cud have got the stuff on 11th oct but i was bit late to tell them.Now my two more relatives r coming after 2months interval.So if something wrong happens,i can return the defective component by 2nd relative. Godd strategy...LOL....

I am also thinking of buying from some other site apart from crutchfield.e.g. alpine 9851 is available for same price on some website as 9847 on crutchfield. Infinty kappa spk sells for same price as infinity ref series and so on.
Old 14th October 2005, 16:06   #113
Team-BHP Support

For a 100% price difference it makes sense but i seriously doubt the difference is that big. What are the prices you are getting for Alpine and Infinity in India. My dealer will sell the Infinfity 5000cs with installation for about 8500. that works out to about $190. The best price I saw for it was $140 from a discount site and Crutchfield sells the 5010cs for $180.

Many of these discount sites wont take stuff back. Read their small print. If they do they'll have all sorts of riders. I dont get any cut if you buy locally. I am not in the business.

Last edited by navin : 14th October 2005 at 16:08.
Old 14th October 2005, 17:26   #114
BHPian

Quote:
For a 100% price difference it makes sense but i seriously doubt the difference is that big. What are the prices you are getting for Alpine and Infinity in India. My dealer will sell the Infinfity 5000cs with installation for about 8500. that works out to about $190. The best price I saw for it was $140 from a discount site and Crutchfield sells the 5010cs for $180.
As i wrote in my post 105,alpine here r either fake or may be very costly.Like one JBL was worth 16000[source JBL Pb man].I can get sony/pioneer in India for 8-10k but u know more than me that quality difference is huge to ignore.

That guy also told me that 5010 component r not available here.5000 do cost 8500 here but i want to buy 5010 or kappa series.5000 in USA is between 120-140$[though not sure].

If Sam can provide me 5010 and 5012 [as he wrote price of 5012 is 4500], then i wud certainly buy from his man.

Hd my relative not coming to USA,i wud have gone for sony/pioneer or any other system.Getting a decent system here within 25k is bit difficult.

AND NAVIN PLZ DONT MIND.I NEVER BLAMED ANYONE THAT HE IS FORCING ME TO BUY SOME PARTICULAR STUFF.Infact if u go through initial post of this thread,u will find that whatever i want to buy has been recommended by u only and i am very grateful to u.Its only bcoz of u and Sam/Gunbir/mclaren and some others that now i can think of having some knowledge about CAR AUDIO SYSTEM.

Within 1-2 days i will ask my father-in-law to find this stuff in some store to know the price difference.I think etronics is not a bad site to deal with.Atleast it will be better than ebay.in which is just horrible.
Old 14th October 2005, 17:32   #115
BHPian

Quote:
5000 do cost 8500 here but i want to buy 5010 or kappa series.5000 in USA is between 120-140$[though not sure].
5000 is worth around 100$ in USA.[Now i am sure ]
Old 15th October 2005, 10:31   #116
Team-BHP Support

Since we are not comparing the 5000cs to the 5010cs lets assume that the 5010 is available in India for say 8500. I know this is Hypothetical. But the 5010cs will eventually be available in India too. I would guess this is merely a transition period.

What is the best relaible US price you got on the 5010cs. If that price justifies the fact that if something goes wrong you have to send it back and if that price justifies the cost of carrying speakers across the continents then you should do so.

Just FYI, speaker coils can get knocked out of alignment in shipping. In a post 9-11 world they would not be welcome as handbaggage either.
Old 15th October 2005, 12:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
There is definitely a quality advantage in US. Firstly, they have a lot wider product range available there under one roof. Secondaly you rest assured that your product is genuine and not a fake. Lastly for products that are not imported in bulk, like polk, kenwood, abahn, and not so common brands here there is a huge price gap. Have you wondered how few 5 channel amps are available in our market and at what cost?.... it seems the only amp in 100 dollar price range is Sony 504. For example, mobile dvd market has not matured in India, but such touch screen based systems with integrated GPS are becoming common in US. A Gensen touch screen based audio system might cost 600 dollars in US, but around 60k here... so do the maths Same is true for Ipods.. etc and on and on....
Yes, a wider product range is available but that doesnt give you a "quality advantage" it gives you advantage of a bigger range to choose from.

Yes, you will get genuine products but genuine products "made in China" or someplace in Asia.

Yes, you will get a price advantage but that doesnt give you a "quality advantage".

About "Jensen" products, I wouldnt get one even if they are given free to me!!

My point is that if you get the stuff here in India, buy it here because on "most products" in the US there will be know quality advantage but yes you will get a wider range, guaranteed genuine products and a price advantage.

Finally, I would also like to add that, just because a product is Made in China or in Asia doesnt make it a bad product.

Last edited by 5u3zEr0 : 15th October 2005 at 13:02.
Old 15th October 2005, 13:19   #118
Team-BHP Support

When speaker companies ship speakers in their professional packages they loose about 1 out of 100 speakers due to shipping damage. I myself have lost a 12" DVC sub due to this. About the only thing I would import today would be a HU and only if I was getting a huge price difference OR the product was not sold locally.

The other problem of getting stuff that is not sold locally is getting service. Locals are only familar with what is sold locally.

Last edited by navin : 15th October 2005 at 13:21.
Old 15th October 2005, 15:59   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If Sam can provide me 5010 and 5012 [as he wrote price of 5012 is 4500], then i wud certainly buy from his man.
Those models will be available shortly. 8500 and 4500. For sure.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th October 2005 at 16:00.
Old 15th October 2005, 16:37   #120
Senior - BHPian

and what abt the cs series amp? the 200.1 one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks