Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2005, 01:25   #1
BHPian

want to buy a good car audio system

Hi
Guys
I am new to this site after i did some reaearch on internet and i think u have been doing great job.I am buying Palio ELX in a month time and for that i need a very good system as i am a music freak.I like to hear all kind of music[bit loud though] from Manna Day to Bad Boys.
At present i dont know much about car audio systems and after some research on net i am more confused.
My relatives r in USA and they r coming to india very soon.My budget is around 450-500$.[not more than that].
Can u guys suggest me best configuration available in this budget?
-the sound quality shud be very good
-Will prefer subwoofer also.What about tubes???
-Shud i buy mono or multi channel Amplifier?
-I like JBL speaskers.
-Just go to these links and plz advice should i buy these-amplifier and HU?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14268
http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/ca...t+%23=DXZ745MP
-My relative will be buying online.
-HU and Amplifier shud be compatible for future upgradation like DVD changer

I hope u guys will help me out.I do have lot of time and i am also searching net.I have also seen previous threads and got some help.
Thanx in advance......
Old 13th September 2005, 02:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Hi
Guys
I am new to this site after i did some reaearch on internet and i think u have been doing great job.I am buying Palio ELX in a month time and for that i need a very good system as i am a music freak.I like to hear all kind of music[bit loud though] from Manna Day to Bad Boys.
At present i dont know much about car audio systems and after some research on net i am more confused.
My relatives r in USA and they r coming to india very soon.My budget is around 450-500$.[not more than that].
Can u guys suggest me best configuration available in this budget?
-the sound quality shud be very good
-Will prefer subwoofer also.What about tubes???
-Shud i buy mono or multi channel Amplifier?
-I like JBL speaskers.
-Just go to these links and plz advice should i buy these-amplifier and HU?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14268
http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/ca...t+%23=DXZ745MP
-My relative will be buying online.
-HU and Amplifier shud be compatible for future upgradation like DVD changer

I hope u guys will help me out.I do have lot of time and i am also searching net.I have also seen previous threads and got some help.
Thanx in advance......
SSA RSJaurr....

I dont suggest buying of lesser known websites as I've heard of a few bad experiences. Stick to more reliable sites like crutchfield.com

I suggest you go for products already available in India. This way you will get service and support when you need it. Here is what I suggest:

HU - Sony CDX-F7710S - 7900.00 (approx)
4 ch Amp - Sony XM-504 amp - 5500.00 (approx)
Front Soundstage - Hertz ECX165 - 5140.00
Subwoofer - Hertz ES250D - 6290.00
Sub Box - Custom built for your car - 2000.00 (approx)

Check prices in your local and Delhi market, especially the Sony stuff. If you need any help, I can suggest a few dealers in Delhi.
Old 13th September 2005, 08:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

for 500 bucks you can get some pretty decent stuff.
Dont bother too much with model numbers. Here's how it goes.
Ask for a 4 channel amp (decent, like an alpine, sony or JBL)
ask for a cheap monoblock or 2 channel amp that can be bridged.
Now dont ask for a box/tube from USA as it is a pain to carry. Buy that here.
If you like JBL, that means you like forward sound. if you dont know what that means, dont worry too much, just buy whatever sounds good to your ears. Remember this is your money, your choice and your music.
you could ask for a set of 5.25" components for the front AND the rear. This will allow you a factory fit, no tray no cutting. Then mount a box or a tube and Navin's Uncle Bob will join you for a drink of some superb wine.
Then see how much money you have left over and buy an alpine (whichever you can afford) trust me, all the alpines sound nice in my opinion.

Enjoy your music buddy. Let me know if you narrow it down further and i'll help you decide

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th September 2005 at 08:31.
Old 13th September 2005, 09:37   #4
BHPian

SSA Gunbir

Thanx for quick reply.Buying from USA will give me around 20-30% price depreciation and so i can buy better system with that much money.
As i have ample time my relative will check it and use it for few weeks b4 they hand over to me.But i will definately pay attention to ur suggestion as well.
Gunbir i request u to Plz go to these 2 links and just find for me whether these 2 items r good or not.

I have read in many articles that we shud invest better part of our budget on amplifier and speakers and not on HU.
Also plz guide me whether i shud go for 2 spk+ subw or 4 spk?I had already mentioned my music/sound requirements.
I am a doc in govt job and i dont know much about car stereo system so any help will be highly appreciated.I dont want to go myself as i dont want to compromise on sound quality.
Also if there is need i can increase my budget to 600$.

Thanx and waiting for suggestion.
Old 13th September 2005, 09:57   #5
BHPian

Thanx Sam

But my problem is that i cant decide on like what wattage amplifier or spk shud be?
They shud be matched to prevent damage to spk.
Also i cant decide about size of spk and subw.Plz help me regarding that as well.
I am trying to learn it but still i will leave everything to you experts.
AS i wrote b4 i dont want to waste money by buying a stuff which is not of good quality or is not compatible to each other.

So far i have got this much that i shud buy 2 amps-a 4 channels for spk and a mono channel for subw.WHAT IF I GO FOR 4 SPK RATHER THAN 2 SPK+ A SUBW?.
And what r component spk? How r they different from spk?R these combination of spk+tweaters?If these r better than regular spk i will go for these no matter how much they cost.

I will probably go for JBL/Infinity spk and alpine/sony/clarion HU.

Plz keep on giving me suggestion.............and i hope i am not irritating you guys.........may be one day with your help i can guide others as well.

Thanx in advance....
Ravinder
Old 13th September 2005, 10:07   #6
BHPian

And Sam u have advised me not to install spk on other than factory prescribed location like doors.Will that not lower the quality of sound which i need more than loudness?
Also just now i came to know about components spk.But do u think they r better option then spk?
Old 13th September 2005, 10:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

rsjaurr, 1stly where is Batala. I would assume Punjab but my knowledge if Indian Geography is sketchy.

I see that gunbir and sam have already given you some good advice.

1. get HU for say $200
2. get speakers (2 sets of components or 1 set of components and 1 coax) for say $100/pr
3. get a good amp for $100

later you can add an active sub or sub+amp in India. I buy fron crutchfield and they are good. Very good. So good that I have not tried the discount stores ever since I graduated and got a job (many years now). They have a 15% discount scheme going on right now. use the discouunt to get some cables!

from crutchfield

HU: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...0&I=500CDA9847

or if you want to save some money Crutchfiled will give you a Kenwood 4028 and a 30W rms amp for $278 ($179 for the Hu and $99 for the amp).

Front speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...0&I=037ABC525T

or for $30 more
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...00&I=1085010CS

Rear Speaker:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...0&I=037ACS2050
or for $30 more
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...800&I=1085012I

Amp: get the Sony 504 in India for $90 (rs. 4K)you wont find anythng at crutchfield other than Profile and I dont know Profile at all so I cant reommend it.

So you ahve 2 choices.
$200 Alpine HU + ($150 + $80) Audiobahn speakers + local Sony 504 amp for $90 = $520

$279 for Kenwood 4028 HU and 6401 amp + ($180 + $99) infinity speakers = $558

alternately....if you really want a sub then drop the rear speakers and add them later.

what seems to make sense is to only import the Alpine 9847 HU. use the left over $300 for speakers and amps locally. assuming you spend 4K of that on the sony amp then you have 9K left over for front speakers and sub or front speaker and rear speakers.
Old 13th September 2005, 10:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

ok to make thigs a bit simpler
get front speakers and sub if the car stereo is not used when you are more than 2 people and you like a bit of bass.
get the 4 speakers combo if you want some sound for the guys in the back seat

if you want both extend your budget by about $200 (sub/box+amp) to about $750-800.

I had a zen with a front + sub combo and it was fine as the rar seat was only used for my golf/tennis bag.

Last edited by navin : 13th September 2005 at 10:37.
Old 13th September 2005, 10:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

and refering to post #7 nothing prevens you from using the Alpine with the Infinity speakers other than the budget. The Alpine+Infinity combo will be about $479 plues you need a 4 channel amp.

One more optionz: Alpine $200, Infinity front speakers $180, sub and amp got lcoally for $220 (rs. 10K) = $600.

confused? :-)
Old 13th September 2005, 11:30   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
rsjaurr, 1stly where is Batala. I would assume Punjab but my knowledge if Indian Geography is sketchy.

I see that gunbir and sam have already given you some good advice.

1. get HU for say $200
2. get speakers (2 sets of components or 1 set of components and 1 coax) for say $100/pr
3. get a good amp for $100

later you can add an active sub or sub+amp in India. I buy fron crutchfield and they are good. Very good. So good that I have not tried the discount stores ever since I graduated and got a job (many years now). They have a 15% discount scheme going on right now. use the discouunt to get some cables!

from crutchfield

HU: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...0&I=500CDA9847

or if you want to save some money Crutchfiled will give you a Kenwood 4028 and a 30W rms amp for $278 ($179 for the Hu and $99 for the amp).

Front speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...0&I=037ABC525T

or for $30 more
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...00&I=1085010CS

Rear Speaker:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...0&I=037ACS2050
or for $30 more
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KNnO9E...800&I=1085012I

Amp: get the Sony 504 in India for $90 (rs. 4K)you wont find anythng at crutchfield other than Profile and I dont know Profile at all so I cant reommend it.

So you ahve 2 choices.
$200 Alpine HU + ($150 + $80) Audiobahn speakers + local Sony 504 amp for $90 = $520

$279 for Kenwood 4028 HU and 6401 amp + ($180 + $99) infinity speakers = $558

alternately....if you really want a sub then drop the rear speakers and add them later.

what seems to make sense is to only import the Alpine 9847 HU. use the left over $300 for speakers and amps locally. assuming you spend 4K of that on the sony amp then you have 9K left over for front speakers and sub or front speaker and rear speakers.
rsjaurr u are really lucky man !!! thats the simplest answer navin has given to anyone on this forum yet (normally it gets way technical than this)..hey navin working on making things simpler for us is it..im sure sam will be dissappointed..
Old 13th September 2005, 19:24   #11
BHPian

Hi Guys
Thanx for huge response.
I am from Batala and its in Gurdaspur disst.[Vinod Khanna area] 35 km away from Amritsar and 70 Km from Jallandhar towards Amritsar & only 25 KM away from border with Pakistan.That doesn't make it backward though as it has sony's exlosive showroom here.I also have the option of buying everything from sony showroom bcoz of better and early service but chances r only 1%.

Now i am getting some insight into car audio sysytem tech'gy.
Components spk r mainly for front end and coaxial/triaxial 4way for rear end.
Here i have few queries......
1---Do rear spk r also installed on rear doors always or can they be installed in the boot like subw?If yes,what cud be the difference in sound quality?
2---Another query which i also asked earlier but dint get reply is that what is the difference in sound qualitywhen we install a subw OR 2 rear coaxial spk?
3---why u guys have not precribed 6"9" spk? Is that due to budget or it will lower sound quality?
4---i have heard that HU made in USA will have some FM tuing problems.I am not sure but i think their frequency increase by .1 and in India they wont be compatible.
5---If i install 4 spk and NO subw,do i need only one 4-channel amplifier or another one too.
6--If we have external amplifeir,shoud't we use spk with low sensivity as spk with high sensitivity needs less power to produce that volume.

I hope u guys provide me solution to my queries no.wise.It will be difficult for u guys but that will help me clear my doubts.I am so excited about car stereo setup that i have almost forgotten about the car which i still have to buy.

Thanx in advance
Regards
Ravinder

--
Old 13th September 2005, 19:26   #12
BHPian

And i checked sony's India website 504 amplifier is worth 6000 and not 4000 rs as mentioned by navin.I hope its wrong.
Old 13th September 2005, 19:52   #13
BHPian

Sorry for multiple postings.
If i buy HU from india how do u rate Sony's CDX-F5510X for 9k as compared to suggested Alpine 9847 for 200$ and also Sony's CDX-V5800 for 11k as it will give me VCD option as well.
Old 13th September 2005, 19:58   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Hi Guys
Thanx for huge response.
I am from Batala and its in Gurdaspur disst.[Vinod Khanna area] 35 km away from Amritsar and 70 Km from Jallandhar towards Amritsar & only 25 KM away from border with Pakistan.That doesn't make it backward though as it has sony's exlosive showroom here.I also have the option of buying everything from sony showroom bcoz of better and early service but chances r only 1%.

Now i am getting some insight into car audio sysytem tech'gy.
Components spk r mainly for front end and coaxial/triaxial 4way for rear end.
Here i have few queries......
1---Do rear spk r also installed on rear doors always or can they be installed in the boot like subw?If yes,what cud be the difference in sound quality?
2---Another query which i also asked earlier but dint get reply is that what is the difference in sound qualitywhen we install a subw OR 2 rear coaxial spk?
3---why u guys have not precribed 6"9" spk? Is that due to budget or it will lower sound quality?
4---i have heard that HU made in USA will have some FM tuing problems.I am not sure but i think their frequency increase by .1 and in India they wont be compatible.
5---If i install 4 spk and NO subw,do i need only one 4-channel amplifier or another one too.
6--If we have external amplifeir,shoud't we use spk with low sensivity as spk with high sensitivity needs less power to produce that volume.

I hope u guys provide me solution to my queries no.wise.It will be difficult for u guys but that will help me clear my doubts.I am so excited about car stereo setup that i have almost forgotten about the car which i still have to buy.

Thanx in advance
Regards
Ravinder

--
well the rear speakers can be installed either on the doors or on a parcel tray that fits to ur hatch..so its ur take on where u need them..speakers on the doors are more preferable..well if u fix it in the boot the parcel tray will vibrate and one can feel the rear seat shaking thats it..so not advisable..

well coaxial speakers as the name suggests have the tweeters,mid range and the woofer on the same axis however components have all these separately and hence each device is dedicated to one particular work,hence better clarity from components..so compos are recommended..

Subwoofers are speakers dedicated solely to reproducing low frequencies..so they give only that thumping sopund..

the 6x9'' are nothing but the coaxials and as these have to be mounted on the rear parcel tray they are not advised..

the HUs will not have any problem whatsoever even with the frequency settings..so dont worry..

if ur going for just 4 speakers and no sub then a single 4-channel amp will be more than sufficient..hope that helps..
Old 13th September 2005, 20:28   #15
BANNED

well there is no rule that says components are to be used only in the front and the coaxials at the back..u can use components both at the front and the back and many people advise this if budget permits..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks