Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 23:20   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: Isuzu D-Max

Quote:
I think Isuzu should offer one of these as accessories and market it well too
Isuzu Dealers already offer these , you can pick most of this stuff from local dealer.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 01:17   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
15-17 L, i think would be a pretty much a good price considering this truck belongs to the segment of toyota hilux, which is nothing but a toyota fortuner without the third row of seats and third row of roof. The Isuzu equivalent is Mu-7 which competes with fortuner in our market. So, keeping in mind fortuner and mu-7 retail prices of around 23L, a 15-17L sticker price for this truck seems a bargain.
I am really surprised at this consumer behaviour. When Tata launched the Xenon, with the same configuration, similar interiors, slightly more power, at 12 lakhs, it was hailed as too costly, too basic, too uncomfortable and over priced, yet when the Izuzu is launched several years later with the same shortcomings, it is a bargain at 17 lakhs?? Because it is derived from the Fortuner? Which IMO is terribly overpriced for what it offers... may be a Japanese sounding name is magic in India...
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 09:01   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am really surprised at this consumer behaviour. When Tata launched the Xenon, with the same configuration, similar interiors, slightly more power, at 12 lakhs, it was hailed as too costly, too basic, too uncomfortable and over priced, yet when the Izuzu is launched several years later with the same shortcomings, it is a bargain at 17 lakhs?? Because it is derived from the Fortuner? Which IMO is terribly overpriced for what it offers... may be a Japanese sounding name is magic in India...
I think people expect niggle free service from Isuzu going by the track record. Also, people do not want to disrespect Tata and going against their wishes of not wanting to sell the Xenon. Tata tries real hard. No showroom has TD vehicles, there is no marketing, and even the Tata premium "SOUL" type groups are for safari only(unlike Mahindra where they take in the entire fleet).

If Tata is not willing to sell, how can people be willing to buy? They did not even bring the Xenon to the new platform. Its still the old chasis with its numerous suspension gremlins.

Secondly, I think this V-cross is basically chevy trailblazer, not the fortuner.

That said, there are a few people who will consider 15-17 as VFM, but if Isuzu wants to be a volume player(~500/month) the ex showroom price has to be 12-13L at max, i.e. Xenon
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 09:26   #169
BHPian

I had the opportunity to test the Dmax flat out in a open proving ground. Can never forget the way it drove past 160kmph and even managed a smooth lane change maneuver which would have put to shame some of the sedans in our country. On the skid pad, the roll angle was very reassuring and the rear end super stable, although the rear inside wheels lift and the open rear diff limits the speed, with a lot of smoke and vocal drama from the spinning wheels.
Still, It is one of the best trucks I've driven with respect to handling dynamics and powertrain package. Selling this truck with a monster of an engine is a big risk in India, especially without ABS as the front wheels tend to lock up quite easily.
Old 18th February 2016, 10:10   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think people expect niggle free service from Isuzu going by the track record. Also, people do not want to disrespect Tata and going against their wishes of not wanting to sell the Xenon. Tata tries real hard. No showroom has TD vehicles, there is no marketing, and even the Tata premium "SOUL" type groups are for safari only(unlike Mahindra where they take in the entire fleet).
Nice TSk1979. You are right. There is brand perception also at play here. I think anything japanese would be anyday superior to Tata and Isuzu is a respectable brand, not at the level of toyota or honda but still good enough. And we all know japanese brands make reliable and tough vehicles, suzuki as an example to quote, even if it is not so premium brand, we all know how hardy these suzuki's are.
So, 12L (on road price of xenon) is costly for a tata but 15L for an Isuzu v-cross is reasonable, from my point of view. What made me hold my purchase of xenon was reliability factor, the steering system which is still ball and warner (something like that, i.e. not rack and pinion), alignment issues, rattles, and safety, ASS, etc.
I would be the first one to book the v-cross if they launch it at 12-13L but i have my doubts if they will do that. It's been too long now since i've been waiting to buy something like this, but always backing out due to incomplete product being on offer.
Old 18th February 2016, 10:51   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If Tata is not willing to sell, how can people be willing to buy? They did not even bring the Xenon to the new platform. Its still the old chasis with its numerous suspension gremlins.

Secondly, I think this V-cross is basically chevy trailblazer, not the fortuner.

That said, there are a few people who will consider 15-17 as VFM, but if Isuzu wants to be a volume player(~500/month) the ex showroom price has to be 12-13L at max, i.e. Xenon

I agree with you on most of the points. However regarding the Trailblazer I had a short test drive, and believe me its a pig of a car. Ugly, heavy, poor plasticky interiors, the only good thing is the powerful (relatively) engine, but not so great gear box, IMO its not selling well, because it frankly can't compete with other SUV in it's segment, if the pickup is based on it, I am not sure if it can be worth 17 lacs.
Old 18th February 2016, 11:15   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am really surprised at this consumer behaviour. When Tata launched the Xenon, with the same configuration, similar interiors, slightly more power, at 12 lakhs, it was hailed as too costly, too basic, too uncomfortable and over priced
Have you ever driven TATA Xenon ? If you drive for less than a Km you will understand how crude they have made this one . I am not aware if they have made any recent changes but I went to Tata showroom 2-3 years back with money and a short drive of few 100 metres was enough for me to come out - clutch operates as if its from 407 truck , it can be best termed and operated as a fancy Load Carrier and couple of years down the lane its owned by youngsters who are mostly in this business. Now compare this with punny D-Max , though sitting much lower and primarily sold as a commercial carrier , you will be amazed with engine and other comforts besides road handling.

Isuzu success will be dependent on pricing , they need to do this around 12-13 Lac or if they can't price existing version they will have to come out with a little striped version ( without climate control ) etc.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th February 2016 at 11:29.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 21:39   #173
BHPian

Any idea if any of the double cab models will have an integrated trailer brake controller. If not, any idea how easy/difficult would it be to install one yourself.
Old 7th March 2016, 23:06   #174
BHPian

The model displayed at the Auto expo also seems to have been refreshed in Thailand etc so which is the one we will be getting, the refreshed one or old?
Refreshed one:
http://indianautosblog.com/2015/11/2016-isuzu-d-max-facelift-in-images-202873
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 00:24   #175
BHPian

Quote:

As you said it is the Trailblazer and not the fortuner!

At the Delhi expo Isuzu sales people were quite vocal about their expectation. They don't want to be a volume player as of now as they are still building their capacities. So the pricing would also reflect that at 15-17 lacs little premium as to what Xenon is retailing now. And the Pricing of the V-cross would be the baseline for their upcoming MU-X SUV which would sit sweetly between the upper end of Creta and the lower end of Fortuner pricing. The sweetest spot in Indian pricing market right now, which made the Fortuner a VFM earlier.

Last edited by johannskaria : 8th March 2016 at 00:25.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 19:14   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Expect around last week of April.

I thought the Vcross is going to be launched end of April or beginning May.
Old 10th March 2016, 19:52   #177
Senior - BHPian

guys excited about a pickup truck please hold your horses!! I suggest you rent out a double cab pickup (either Xenon, Gateway or the current DMax) for a weekend and live with it. The pickup truck is 'not' a SUV. It cannot ride as comfortably, its quite skittish without a load, tail happy and frankly not useful if one doesn't need its load carrying abilities. Looks wise, I agree nothing beats the macho appeal of a well kitted pickup, but as a family ride, city commuter and occasional weekend explorer it falls far short.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:49   #178
BHPian

Quote:
guys excited about a pickup truck please hold your horses!! I suggest you rent out a double cab pickup (either Xenon, Gateway or the current DMax) for a weekend and live with it. The pickup truck is 'not' a SUV. It cannot ride as comfortably, its quite skittish without a load, tail happy and frankly not useful if one doesn't need its load carrying abilities. Looks wise, I agree nothing beats the macho appeal of a well kitted pickup, but as a family ride, city commuter and occasional weekend explorer it falls far short.

The difference would be in the number of leaf springs which the vcross has over the current dmax, which is half probably owing the reduced bay size which will give it a more planted ride.
Old 11th April 2016, 18:33   #179
BHPian

Any update on the pricing and launch of the Dmax Vcross ?
Old 16th April 2016, 14:26   #180
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A few details and a few more pics of the D-Max V-Cross here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post3953485.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Isuzu D-Max-img20160416wa0025.jpg  

Review: Isuzu D-Max-img20160416wa0019.jpg  

Review: Isuzu D-Max-img20160416wa0037.jpg  

//M is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks