Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 00:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Review: Isuzu D-Max

This segment is finally beginning to mature. First the Tata Xenon and now this babe. Lifestyle trucks may be announcing their arrival.

Looks, power and refinement. Not features that one usually associates with this segment.

Wish there was a 5 seater model though.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:25   #47
BHPian

Thank you for the review.

I am shocked that there is no rear bumper. is it even legal to not have one?

That said, I'd totally rock this as a "toy". Roof lights, a chip and bigger tires, maybe a small lift and bam! I've got a weekend cruiser.

Now to leave my banking job and to get a commercial driver license.

BTW, I wanted to say one thing about you guys who do the review. You guys absolutely nail the small stuff (pics of the calipers, no protection for the oil sump etc.) It must be gruelling hard work to crawl under a truck and take these pics and I, and I am sure others, are very thankful for you guys doing this. Greatly appreciate this.
Mad Max is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 10:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu please bring in that twin cab version with ABS,Airbags and some great wheels, nothing more and I will be your first customer.

I remember seeing the twin cab D Max in Mauritius and man it looks cool. I am pretty sure manufacturers can find decent copies of Luxo trucks selling in India as well.
Old 1st August 2014, 06:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Amazing. I really love the isuzu trooper .

Free gyan for isuzu from a potential future customer as we have a farm and this is a perfect fit.
1) Launch the dual cab.
2) Get the factory running quick.
3) Do not be skimpy. We think we deserve better products not cost cutting, way to go that way.
4) Offer safety features as standard. ABS, Seat belt, Airbags would be a great start. You know the drivers think they are some daredevils. This will give a lot of tension free days for the owner.
5) Mahindra offers no power steering and a plasticky cabin in one of the utility models. DO NOT COPY THEM.

Tata and Mahindra - Your move!

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 09:32   #50
BHPian

4wd, private registration and Isuzu will have decent sale figures. ABS will soon anyways become mandatory :-)

Last edited by totaloverdoze : 1st August 2014 at 09:33.
totaloverdoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:25   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

A good review as usual TSK.

Saw the vehicle up close (the lower variants in White) bought by my friend who runs a factory in the northern part of Bangalore (near Peenya Industrial Area). The vehicle was doing a duty to transport parts from one factory to another branch. The initial observations from him is the vehicle is quite good and sturdy compared to the TATA pick up truck which he has. I will seek his feedback after he starts piling up more kms on the truck.

The top end looks quite decent. They ought to have included a 5 seater version, but since it can be registered only as a commerical vehicle (yellow board), the 5 seater will have few takers.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 10:32   #52
BHPian

Hello again,

Got a rexin cover made for the bed. Workmanship isn't the best but it does the job. Absolutely no water leaks through. But water does collect on the top and make a little puddle if the vehicle is parked for a while during a downpour.

The cover is fitted onto the top edges of the tub using metal buttons and velcro. So theres no flapping or anything. It can also be rolled from back to front and held in this position using the velcro straps. Unfortunately, drilling was required to fix the buttons in place. This is a cheaper 5000 rupee option compared to a 40000 rupee import cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Isuzu D-Max-image.jpeg  

Review: Isuzu D-Max-image1.jpeg  

Lakshman1645 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:59   #53
Team-BHP Support

This looks cool , did you found any rubber mats for deck ? We booked one last week but dealer in Delhi is asking for about 2 -3 month delivery time citing large orders . I don't know how far this information is correct .
Old 5th August 2014, 16:17   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Hello again,

Got a rexin cover made for the bed. Workmanship isn't the best but it does the job. Absolutely no water leaks through. But water does collect on the top and make a little puddle if the vehicle is parked for a while during a downpour.

The cover is fitted onto the top edges of the tub using metal buttons and velcro. So theres no flapping or anything. It can also be rolled from back to front and held in this position using the velcro straps. Unfortunately, drilling was required to fix the buttons in place. This is a cheaper 5000 rupee option compared to a 40000 rupee import cover.
you have larger tires. What kind of speedo error are you getting now?
That said, there are many lockers available for the rear axle for around 50-60000 INR for this vehicle.
This means, it becomes almost as good as a 4x4 with open differentials with the locker engaged.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th August 2014 at 16:18.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 08:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
you have larger tires. What kind of speedo error are you getting now?
That said, there are many lockers available for the rear axle for around 50-60000 INR for this vehicle.
This means, it becomes almost as good as a 4x4 with open differentials with the locker engaged.
After you mentioned it, I used a GPS based app called SpeedGlow against my speedometer readings and found it to match perfectly 90% of the time. Sometimes there was a 1 or 2 kmph difference but for the most part, it matched. I have a feeling this is because the D Max is normally sold internationally with 16 inch wheels as standard. I think 15 inch is an India only option. This could mean speedo error on the stock models?

Those lockers look very tempting. Need to find out how to source them.
Old 6th August 2014, 11:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those lockers look very tempting. Need to find out how to source them.
I am not very well versed with 4x4 terminologies/technologies, but is this what you are looking for?

http://www.eaton.in/EatonIN/Products...als/PCT_329342

Related thread on the forum: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...off-shelf.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:57   #57
BHPian

I really need to find a way of softening the rear suspension. I reduced tyre pressure in the back from 32psi to 29psi, while keeping the front at 32psi. There is an improvement in ride comfort but it isn't very significant.

I will never have any load whatsoever in the back to make a difference to the ride quality. Anybody here who can suggest changes to the rear leaf springs? Or do you think I should try dropping tyre pressures even further? The front suspension is an IFS set up. So no problems there. It's the back that is really bad.
Old 6th August 2014, 13:26   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really need to find a way of softening the rear suspension. I reduced tyre pressure in the back from 32psi to 29psi, while keeping the front at 32psi. There is an improvement in ride comfort but it isn't very significant.

I will never have any load whatsoever in the back to make a difference to the ride quality. Anybody here who can suggest changes to the rear leaf springs? Or do you think I should try dropping tyre pressures even further? The front suspension is an IFS set up. So no problems there. It's the back that is really bad.
This is by design. You can remove a leaf. Will reduce load carrying capacity, but will soften ride.
Another solution is to use some 200kg dead weight like sandbag. This will also soften suspension, at the cost of performance and fuel efficiency.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 22:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have a feeling this is because the D Max is normally sold internationally with 16 inch wheels as standard. I think 15 inch is an India only option. This could mean speedo error on the stock models?
L.
When there is change in wheel diameter the speedo sensor will be calibrated accordingly. Usually the speedometer is same across models and ratio will be altered. 1 or 2 KMPH difference is not big deal, however the same will be checked during CMVR.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 16:58   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really need to find a way of softening the rear suspension.
You can try these guys out. Reviews have been a mixed bag, but some Endeavour owners report a distinct improvement in ride quality.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks