Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2020, 19:21   #211
BHPian

Re: Indian Naval Aviation - Air Arm & its Carriers

The Pakistanis don't have any HDW submarines. They have old French Daphnes and Agosta Class submarines. Amongst the Agostas, the 70 series(2 in fleet) are plain old diesel electrics, whilst the latter Agosta 90B's (3 in fleet) are equipped with AIP. They planned to buy HDW Type 214's (one amongst the contenders for Project 75I Subs), but Indian diplomatic pressure and Pakistani economic realities stopped the deal from progressing, hence they are now going in for the Chinese Type 039 subs which itself are reverse engineered Kilo Class subs. They are buying 8 of them in a deal worth 6 billion USD, but we all know China will take payment in kind over cash from Pakistan.

Coming back to ANC command, yes its a triservice command, but the airbases there which include INS Baaz and IAF Car Nicobar AFS, don't home resident squadrons but host detachments of Indian Navy Poseidons from INS Rajali and Sukhoi 30's from various squadrons on a regular basis.

Coming to the point of a confrontation between India and China, I feel it will never happen, as economic and trade relations between the two will defuse all tensions.
DrPriyankT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:23   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post

Coming to the point of a confrontation between India and China, I feel it will never happen, as economic and trade relations between the two will defuse all tensions.
Not only that- the Chinese are pragmatic. The straits of Malacca are their Achilles heel. given the ANC Command, IN and IAF control those lanes. Any Chinese carrier group that approaches India will be severely handicapped against the ANC command. Their J15s are woefully underequipped for carrier use and will be toast for the SU30.

From what I know from the IN boys, the P8I is a real game changer and the IN simply loves it. war games have proven that no sub is able to hide for long with these birds on patrol.

Its a significant leap in capability from the venerable "Albatross", although that was one beautiful prop bird.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 22nd February 2020 at 14:26.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 15:20   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Not only that- the Chinese are pragmatic. The straits of Malacca are their Achilles heel. given the ANC Command, IN and IAF control those lanes. Any Chinese carrier group that approaches India will be severely handicapped against the ANC command. Their J15s are woefully underequipped for carrier use and will be toast for the SU30.

From what I know from the IN boys, the P8I is a real game changer and the IN simply loves it. war games have proven that no sub is able to hide for long with these birds on patrol.

Its a significant leap in capability from the venerable "Albatross", although that was one beautiful prop bird.
Absolutely, the P-8's are absolutely unparalleled in terms of capabilities. I sincerely hope we develop a fleet of 24 so we have 12 odd planes on each coast. While they are amazingly effective in patrolling the seas, they are pretty capable of surveillance of mountains as demonstrated during the doklam crisis.
DrPriyankT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:28   #214
Senior - BHPian

J15s May not be in service with PLANAF for long. It has already costed too many lives for them. They are already in the process of upgrading/ developing a new lighter but more efficient bird. As long as our navy doesn't toil with the idea of buying the naval sukhoi version we cannot go wrong with our choice of deterrence in the Malacca straits.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 22:35   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just reading up on the P8. Why did the India navy opt to have the MAD installed. The Americans did away with it, added different sensors and now operate at high altitudes, which makes life a lot easier for the crews.

I assume the Indian navy will be operating at low altitudes? Hence the choice te keep the MAD? Any insight into why the difference of approach? Cost consideration?

Low level maritime operation? Bring a barf bag!

https://breakingdefense.com/2012/10/...tech-barf-bag/

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 00:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

One could be the cost and the other could also be the fact that when India ordered its Poseidon's this tech was still new and was being tested by USN. They would want to reserve some technical superiority over the commercial sales version. Especially to a new ally like India. This article you posted us from 2012 and that was when the first batch of P8s were on order i guess.

Generally, Indian forces have gone with proven platforms and create their own sub versions like the sukhoi. This may not be possible with the Boeing jets and hence the simple try the product first and may be in the second edition they would order the newer tech.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 23rd February 2020 at 00:30.
Old 23rd February 2020, 01:34   #217
BHPian

Well on the topic of tech, India would've still fallen under the embargo conditions. India was not yet a signatory of Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) at the time of the first deal. We had to self engineer a lot of the systems for our P8's

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2020...held-back.html

Quote:
The Indian Navy contracted for eight P-8I jets in January 2009, at which time India wasn’t yet a signatory to the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA), resulting in a large list of sensitive proprietary systems being held off the Indian planes. Four additional P-8I jets ordered by the Indian Navy in 2016, which begin delivery in April this year, will similarly be without the U.S. proprietary tech. In 2018, after over a decade in discussion, India and the United States finally signed the COMCASA, for the first time paving the way for U.S. high-end secured/encrypted communication equipment on American platforms supplied.
However the systems that were missing are:
  1. AN/ARC-222 Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System (SINCGARS)
  2. KV-119 IFF Digital Transponder
  3. TACTERM/ANDVT Secure Voice (HF) Terminal, VINSON KY-58 Secure Voice (UHF/VHF) Module
  4. Rockwell-Collins AN/ARC-210(V) SATCOM Transceiver’s COMSEC/DAMA embdedded RT
To put it simply all of the above are simply data and communications systems that allow networking within and between combat units. So clearly COMCASA isn't linked to the MAD.

Quote:
the new P-8Is being negotiated will be .. sporting .. two sensors absent on the US Navy’s P-8As that were specifically asked for by the Indian Navy — the Telephonics APS-143 OceanEye aft radar and CAE AN/ASQ 508A magnetic anomaly detector.
Ah so quite clearly this is a feature specifically requested for by the IN and not the usual case of the Americans withholding due to an embargo or cost reasons. So let's think like the IN - clearly they wager that the hulls of the PN and PLAN subs have a sufficiently strong signature to make it worthwhile to still operate the MAD. I guess in this regard it would be best to ask current and former USN P-3 Orion pilots how their MAD fared detecting some of the Agosta boats or the Chinese types. We sure as hell won't have any luck working out what the hull is made of in anything but a museum sub but I imagine its the IN going with something fairly simple and robust they have experience with over whatever new fangled solution the Americans must clearly have (they still seem to use it on their ASW helicopters according to this company brochure - https://www.cae.com/media/media-cent...eet.MAD-XR.pdf)

Here's what some quick Google fu threw up:
Quote:
  1. The Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) deleted the requirement for the P-8A to be equipped with magnetic anomaly detection (MAD) equipment as a weight reduction measure, improving endurance.
  2. Unlike the preceding P-3, the P-8 lacks a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) due to its higher operational altitude; its acoustic sensor system is reportedly more effective at acoustic tracking and thus lacking a MAD won't impede its detection capabilities;
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/un...high-altitudes

Crikey - so the USN plan is to have an unmanned drone equipped with a MAD launched in tandem with their Poseidon's (no man - no barf bag issue!)! I guess the IN is just going to have our jets fly at lower altitudes. Wonder what that does for the long term durability of the air frames - obviously they won't be flying low enough to get salt water corrosion (I hope) but I wonder how the flight regimes the IN must be flying compare to the higher ones the USN must use.

Hope that answers your question Jeroen!
ads11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 01:50   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
J15s May not be in service with PLANAF for long. It has already costed too many lives for them.
As the USN is loathe to remind folks, their carrier ops prowess is a capability they quite literally built in blood and toil. It's little wonder the IN has always kept some form of carrier operational to not just lose that knowhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post
While they are amazingly effective in patrolling the seas, they are pretty capable of surveillance of mountains as demonstrated during the doklam crisis.
I think what that highlighted is just how integral persistent intelligence, surveillance and reconaissance (ISR) platforms that can provide real time information of an area are! It's easy to think that US dominance is built solely on their bleeding edge platforms. I think their 2 biggest pillars are their unmatched logistical reach - they can put men and materiel near anywhere on the planet at a days notice; And their unparalleled intelligence capabilities. Half the reason they have all kinds of drones imaginable is so Uncle Sam can have an eye in the sky on you when he wants - take the persistent footage from the RQ-170 that was over Bin Ladens compound including during the raid.

I don't know how far India got in terms of their interest in such platforms (I vaguely remember a deal about Predators but nothing for high altitude long endurance HALE drones like the Global Hawk) but I genuinely think a whole cohort of unmanned drones to persistently provide coverage not just over our restive border regions but also our maritime neighbourhood is the order of the day. All that being said I'm getting greedy. More P8I's is a step in the right direction and more prudent decision making like this please *fingers crossed*
ads11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 03:15   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
... I guess the IN is just going to have our jets fly at lower altitudes. Wonder what that does for the long term durability of the air frames - obviously they won't be flying low enough to get salt water corrosion (I hope) but I wonder how the flight regimes the IN must be flying compare to the higher ones the USN must use.

Hope that answers your question Jeroen!

I hope our P8s carry a lot of citrus lemon and salt.

Quote:
As the USN is loathe to remind folks,...

True. But the J15s will have to be sidelined sooner or later because it keeps asking for sacrifices in form of human life just because the bird is not well made. This is not fair on any military, be it even our adversary. Losing a well trained soldier in a fight is something but losing him/her because the equipment is ill suited or poorly made is not fair on what his life is worth.

Quote:
I think what that highlighted is just how integral persistent intelligence, surveillance and reconaissance (ISR) platforms that can provide real time information of an area are! ... All that being said I'm getting greedy. More P8I's is a step in the right direction and more prudent decision making like this please *fingers crossed*

Sir, I am sure you have heard of the "Rustom" program. Let us hope that under the new leadership the DRDO performs and gets the project completed on fast track mode.
Old 23rd February 2020, 11:54   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

The Indian Navy will begin inducting a second batch of four P-8I Neptune maritime patrol aircraft in April. The original batch of eight P-8I’s have logged 25,000 hours of flying.

https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/indi...raft-in-april/

Indian Navy to buy 24 Sikorsky MH-60R multi-role (but primarily ASW) helicopters

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74220157.cms

Summary of features of the MH-60R

Role: The helicopter is equipped for a range of missions including (i) anti-submarine warfare , (ii) anti-surface warfare, (iii) forward air controller for naval gunfire support , (iv) surveillance, (v) communications relay and (vi) vertical replenishment.

Sensors & Avionics: multi-mode radar/IFF interrogator with Automatic Radar Periscope Detection and Discrimination capability; low-frequency variable depth sonar, sonobouys (?); Missile Approach Warning System, electro-optical system that integrates FLIR (forward Looking Infra Red) and laser rangefinder, decoy dispenser and infrared jammer; 4 fully integrated 8" x 10" night vision goggle-compatible multi-function displays; fleet data link, global positioning system and inertial navigation system. The MH-60R does not carry the MAD suite.

Survivability: The MH-60R is constructed with tolerance to small arms fire and medium-calibre high-explosive projectiles. The flight controls have dual-redundancy and ballistically hardened flight controls. The fuel tank is self-sealing. The helicopter is fitted with energy-absorbing landing gear and load-limiting crew seats.The upper controls and hub are ballistically tolerant and the rotor blades are tolerant against 23mm rounds. The tail rotor has redundant fail-safe controls. The modular transmission system is fitted with fail safe lubrication. The hydraulics and electrical systems are triple-redundant.

Engines and performance: The helicopter is powered by two General Electric T700 turboshaft engines rated at 1,425kW. The internal self-sealing fuel tanks have a capacity of 2,230 litres.

The MH-60R can climb at a rate of 8.4m/s. The maximum and cruise speed of the helicopter are 145 knots (267 kmph) and 91 knots (168 kmph) respectively, while the range is 450 nautical miles (834 km). The helicopter weighs around 6.8 tonnes and has a maximum take-off weight of 10.7 tonnes. Slung load 2.7 tonnes. Can carry 2 454 litre drop tanks when needed - this sacrifices the two ASW torpedoes.

Weapons: Not much is known about which weapons the IN helicopters will deploy. Typically 2 light weight 324mm ASW torpedoes, 4 Hellfire laser guided ground/sea attack missiles, gunpods.

With reference to the discussion on the IN's P-8I's carrying a MAD stinger in the tail - I suppose this is only for detecting a submarine in very shallow waters where a sonobouys efficacy can get seriously impaired. Much of the western seaboard till about Goa is very shallow. a MAD as most will know is at best a very approximate detection device and really works only when the submarine is close to the surface (don't know how close).

My personal P-8I with a 1956 Observers Book of Aircraft :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Naval Aviation - Air Arm & its Carriers-img_20190608_135634.jpg  

Indian Naval Aviation - Air Arm & its Carriers-img_20190609_075927.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 23rd February 2020 at 11:58.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:39   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Indian Navy to buy 24 Sikorsky MH-60R multi-role (but primarily ASW) helicopters

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74220157.cms

I love the MH60R. Had an opportunity to experience the bird up close and boy it is silent! The downwash is absolutely minimum and the sound is near zero. I am not sure how easy these birds are to fly but from a audience point of view, I am very impressed and looking forward to seeing them in IN colours.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ade_tip_shapes

One good read on how the blade tips aerodyanmics have evolved over the years. I am waiting to see our Dhruv and Rudras getting these blade tip improvements.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 23rd February 2020 at 17:42.
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:48   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With reference to the discussion on the IN's P-8I's carrying a MAD stinger in the tail - I suppose this is only for detecting a submarine in very shallow waters where a sonobouys efficacy can get seriously impaired. Much of the western seaboard till about Goa is very shallow. a MAD as most will know is at best a very approximate detection device and really works only when the submarine is close to the surface (don't know how close).
Something to do with the reduction of the magnetic field by the inverse cube of distance. Even so, from what I have read, by and large detection ranges somewhat in the neigbourhood of 500 meters from the sensor. The actual depth at which a submarine can be detected is a function both of the size of the submarine and how close the sensor is flown to the surface of the water. Construction and material of the sub makes a difference too.

So if you get your P-81 on the deck, you are likely to get a pretty good depth range for most submarines, I would think. That is, if the crew can actually look at their instruments as they are tossed around and all are reaching for their barf bags. And of course, a P-81 (or any jet) on the deck will have atrocious fuel efficiency. So if anything else, the tossing around is unlikely to last very long. On the other hand, up in the air MAD is totally useless, just lugging dead weight around!

Quote:
My personal P-8I with a 1956 Observers Book of Aircraft :-)
Somehow I doubt your Observers Book of Aircraft would have a picture of the P-81
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:34   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Something to do with the reduction of the magnetic field...
Asked a former USN ASW S-3 Viking pilot and here's what I got:
Quote:
I suspect it comes down to different operating philosophies. The USN's priority for its P-8As is maximum range and maximum time on station. The intention therefore is to reduce or even eliminate the need for low level flying. As a result the USN is emphasising weapons and sensors that can be used at much higher altitudes.
BAE Sytems in the US is developing the High Altitude ASW (HAASW) Unmanned Targeting Air System (UTAS). This is a small dispensable drone equipped with a Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) that can be dropped from the P-8A weapons bay at high altitude. Previous MPAs (and India’s P-8i) have a MAD boom on the tail of the aircraft which require the aircraft to fly at low level over the suspected contact. Small changes in the earth’s magnetic field are detected if there is a submarine present. MAD has only a short detection range but is a useful tool for localising and confirming the presence of a submarine if no active sonar emitter is available. UTAS will enable this to be done by the P-8A at high altitude without the need to descend.
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/res...bility-part-2/
See also: https://www.militaryaerospace.com/un...y-detector-mad
So basically more of the same of what was discussed earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Sir, I am sure you have heard of the "Rustom" program. Let us hope that under the new leadership the DRDO performs and gets the project completed on fast track mode.
I have indeed heard of the Rustom - but I don't think I've seen much in way of it clearing any of the major steps towards full operation. Drones are something that on paper seem fairly easy, at least the Predator type drone most of us instinctively think of. But going by the lousy experience the foreign operators of the Chinese Predator drone facsimiles have had, it's easier said than done. Of course I'd want India to nail something like the Rustom so we have our own indigenous ability to churn these out but for lack of trying I'd rather we at least maintain a small fleet for now of Reaper drones or Global Hawks if possible. Short of reverse engineering, I'm sure just even utilising them would be valuable for the Rustom development team. They'll have a yardstick at home to compare their platform against. Remember, all we need to aim for is 80% of the capability at 70% of the cost and I think DRDO will have made a decent fist of it.

Quote:
Indian Navy to buy 24 Sikorsky MH-60R multi-role (but primarily ASW) helicopters..
The Seahawk purchase was a long time coming. In fact anything to replace our geriatric Sea Kings was long overdue. The old birds have given sterling service but I think it's a step too far to expect them to still soldier on effectively in the 2020s. The Seahawk is a fairly robust platform (same family as the Blackhawk in case you were wondering). As V.Narayan nicely pointed out with the last ASW corvette INS Kavaratti inducted, we're going to need a modernised rotary wing component to complement these new vessels, that's including the Kolkata class destroyers and other surface ships.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 09:42   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

On the matter of submarines, just came across this one:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...ack-submarine/

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:45   #225
BHPian

Was in office when a colleague came to me and told there was an aircraft impounded at New Town (Rajarhat, Kolkata) police station. Upon getting there for a visual inspection here is what I found. A TU 142. A static display perhaps? I say so because of the platforms under the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Naval Aviation - Air Arm & its Carriers-20200225_133207.jpg  

Last edited by sbanerjee : 25th February 2020 at 13:58.
sbanerjee is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks