Re: FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host

Cyclone Biparjoy effect!
Attached Thumbnails
FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-1.jpeg  

itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 22:01   #152
BHPian

I am trying to build a radar to host for FR. Do I have to buy a Raspberry Pi 3b+ (as advised now by FR24 on their blog) or would a basic Pi suffice? There is significant price difference between basic Pi and the Pi 3b or Pi4, and hence my question.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th June 2023, 15:49   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Veritable road train of A380s! Who would have foreseen such a sight barely a few years back when most of these beauties were getting mothballed almost weekly.
Attached Thumbnails
FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-img_5183.jpeg  

Old 26th June 2023, 15:52   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Veritable road train of A380s! Who would have foreseen such a sight barely a few years back when most of these beauties were getting mothballed almost weekly.
It was a knee jerk reaction by most airlines. How can someone estimate so easily that air travel demand will never come back to pre covid levels and ditch these aircraft. EK even deployed an A380 between DXB-BLR and still manages very good occupancy. Of the dozen A380 flights I have had with EK, only one flight had empty seats but otherwise it was always full.
Old 27th June 2023, 15:22   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBoy View Post
I am trying to build a radar to host for FR. Do I have to buy a Raspberry Pi 3b+ (as advised now by FR24 on their blog) or would a basic Pi suffice? There is significant price difference between basic Pi and the Pi 3b or Pi4, and hence my question.

Thanks in advance.
Depends what you call "basic".

Ive been using a pi2b+ for about 8 years now and it runs, though occasionally it grumbles with MLAT. A lot depends on the traffic in your coverage area
Thead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:41   #156
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I have same Pi 3b+ and have been feeding to FR24 along with few other flight tracker sites. In my experience Pi 3b works fine, have added a 62mm fan and pasted few heat sinks.
With Basic, if you are referring to Pi Zero W then that should also work in my view, i haven't used Pi zero W for ADS-B

Last edited by diablo29 : 27th June 2023 at 15:43.
diablo29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 09:36   #157
BHPian

I went ahead with a Pi 4 and RTL-SDR ADS-B. Started uploading to FR24. Since I live in an apartment, not getting the best line of sigh, so spotting around 350 planes daily.

Decided to go with Pi 4 instead of one of the previous versions just as I felt the device should have enough juice to take in a few major updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
I have same Pi 3b+ and have been feeding to FR24 along with few other flight tracker sites.
TallBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 12:20   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went ahead with a Pi 4 and RTL-SDR ADS-B. Started uploading to FR24.
If you don't mind, will you share the costs and detailed components used?
Old 21st July 2023, 12:56   #159
BHPian

I basically bought these:
1. Pi4 with 8 GB RAM, costed about 8,000 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. A case with fans and heatsink for the Pi4, and power adapter etc, costed about 1,000. Bought these locally

3. RTL-SDR radio, costed about 6,500 (costs about 40 to 50 USD if you can get these from outside India). It seems there are many fakes/non-1090 radios sold online. So have to ensure you are getting it from a credible supplier. I bought this https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. A small antenna to connect to the radio. Got someone to bring it from the UK but also available in India for about 2,000 https://www.amazon.in/Bingfu-Magneti...s%2C242&sr=8-3

Once you have these, all you have to do is to install the software from FR24 site for getting the Pi ready, and for the RTL-SDR radio from the manufacturer's site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If you don't mind, will you share the costs and detailed components used?
TallBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 14:57   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Decided to go with Pi 4 instead of one of the previous versions just as I felt the device should have enough juice to take in a few major updates.
Not advising you to break the laws applicable but you get an additional benefit of having such an always-on computer in your household with just a fractional power usage of a normal PC or laptop. You can use it for running Usenet clients like SABnzbd.
Get a usenet subscription and two 32 or 64 GB USB drives. One stick for working folder and the other for completed folder. (If you use one stick for both, it won't see its first birthday.) Snap install SABnzbd, map the folders and you are good to go.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 21st July 2023 at 15:00.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 00:42   #161
BHPian

Posting here out of utter confusion.

Running a Pi Zero 2 W with 64 bit Pi OS, dump1090-mutability and FR24 installed. FR24 gets data via beast mode (port 30005). I haven't enabled mlat (not that it makes a difference, since fr24 uses mlat only when you use the direct DVB-T method). However, I have quite a few Mode S aircraft showing on my dump1090 page, but with no location. Obviously the public facing side of FR24 and Flightaware don't display these aircraft.

Now my crazy mind obviously wants to know the location of these and I decided to install dump1090-fa(the flightaware version) since it feeds back MLAT data to the local map (my-ip/dump1090).

However, here I have a few questions, that the forums have been unable to answer.

1. Would the MLAT data on my local feed be anonymized/blocked? Could someone post a picture of their MLAT data?

2. I hate the Flightaware website GUI and the dump1090-fa GUI, both of which were the primary reasons that I wanted to use the dump1090-mutability and FR24.
Would it be possible to still use the old GUI when using dump1090-fa and be able to see MLAT data? There is an option to use the FA version with dump1090 mutability.

3. I would really prefer to open aircraft in FR24. Dump1090-mutability shows multiple options including Flightaware, FR24, radarbox and planeplotter. However, dump1090-fa redirects to flightaware (which I guess is expected), but is there an option to change this to open to FR24.

I know I'm nitpicking here, but before I go about uninstalling dump1090-mutability, I'd like to know the answers.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these.

Also are any of you running anything else on your Pi?

I'm currently running a Pihole, Prometheus node exporter (exports to Prometheus/Grafana GUI on my Pi4) and dump1090. CPU remains at 13% and the itch to make it do more is not letting me be calm.

Once again thank you for reading through this entire post and taking the patience to answer.

Regards,
alphamike_1612
Old 28th July 2023, 17:08   #162
BHPian

If anyone else comes along trying to find answers to the questions in my post above, this link should have all the details : https://discussions.flightaware.com/...eries/88895/13
Old 30th July 2023, 01:35   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
Once again thank you for reading through this entire post and taking the patience to answer.
Try adsbfi. The interface is far superior than fa or fr24. Alternatively try planefinder.net. The only downside to planefinder is that given the relatively few feeders in India ymmv as far as mlat is concerned.
BTW there is no 'own' mlat data. It is a computed value based on I puts received by 3 or more receive ers in close vicinity, simultaneously I
Old 30th July 2023, 19:35   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thead View Post
Try adsbfi. The interface is far superior than fa or fr24. Alternatively try planefinder.net. The only downside to planefinder is that given the relatively few feeders in India ymmv as far as mlat is concerned.
Are you one of the feeders in the Delhi Region? There appear to be 5 in total for the entirety of India and none in my general area. I also seem to notice that the location of the feeders seems to be easily accessible. Could you please check the site here (https://adsb.fi/network) and let me know if it's an approximate or exact location?

Regards,
alphamike_1612

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 30th July 2023 at 19:41.
Old 30th July 2023, 20:11   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
Are you one of the feeders in the Delhi Region? There appear to be 5 in total for the entirety of India and none in my general area. I also seem to notice that the location of the feeders seems to be easily accessible. Could you please check the site here (https://adsb.fi/network) and let me know if it's an approximate or exact location?

Regards,
alphamike_1612
From the link you sent:

Locations are approximate. Some feeders may be hidden for privacy.
Thead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks