Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 23:06   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Any aircraft which switched on it's transponder will be picked up on flight radar24. If the transponder is mode S, then details like heading, ground speed, vertical speed can be tracked, with mode C only altitude is displayed. Regarding military aircraft, they switch on their transponders when flying in civilian corridors on normal flights. When flying in military space, in war or on missions they cannot be tracked on secondary surveillance radars like tcas.

I know how transponder work. What I dont understand how military traffic with transponders switched off, stays separated from civilian traffic. There are no civilian corridors as such. I can fly my civilian plane anywhere with the exception of a few places and even those I can usually pass after ATC clearance.

The low and high altitude airways are not mandatory corridors either. Exceptions are certain oceanic sections and so. But say over USA you will only fly mandatory corridors for certain traffic near busy airports.

If I can fly quicker by going going direct I will ask ATC and more often than not they will allow you to go direct. How does ATC know there are no military aircraft crossing my routes if they can not track them?

Jeroen
Old 21st April 2019, 12:04   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Made a PI24 and now tracking & feeding to FR24 successfully.
Hi Blackasta,

I am based in BLR and want to host a FR24 receiver sponsored personally as I have been turned down to officially host one. Can you suggest where and how I can procure a setup like your's.

Thanks!
Old 21st April 2019, 14:33   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Blackasta,

I am based in BLR and want to host a FR24 receiver sponsored personally as I have been turned down to officially host one. Can you suggest where and how I can procure a setup like your's.

Thanks!
First read the details of setting up a Pi24 station:

https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

Get the following:

Raspberry Pi (any compatible model) - https://www.amazon.in/s?k=raspberry+pi&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Power cable, if required an extension cable. The setup needs to be close by a window / terrace and you may have to draw an extension line.

Ethernet cable, again you may want to draw an ethernet line for a distance. So cutting / crimping techniques / tools are required.

SD / microSD card - depending on the Pi model. Minimum 4 GB required.

USB Wifi adapter- in case after initial setup, you don't want to draw a long ethernet line, you can use this if you have a wifi router.

ADS B receiver set - RTL2832/R820T2 specification - eg: https://www.amazon.in/Paddsun-DVB-T-...ateway&sr=8-19

Step by step instructions for intalling Pi24, setting up the station and installing on different OS are provided here: https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

steps to use the wifi dongle is provided here: https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blo...-and-bluetooth
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:29   #79
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Good to know that the antenna is readily available. That more than anything else would have held up a homebrew system.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th May 2019, 04:56   #80
BHPian

I stay in an apartment. Just curious to know, if I can set up the antenna in my balcony?
Old 25th May 2019, 05:17   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
I stay in an apartment. Just curious to know, if I can set up the antenna in my balcony?
The antenna requires a 360° clear field around it as shown in figure or else the capture of data is less. They ask for a 4 quadrant snap of location and might not agree to an apartment balcony. If you can do it on your rooftop, then I guess it can be done.

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-loc1.jpg

Another way is, you can show them the snap of rooftop and if they accept it, install it in balcony.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 16:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
Yes you can. I have put the antenna on the window ledge of my study room.
Only thing is that if you put the antenna higher with good unrestricted field of vision all around, you range shall be much higher.
My setup typically maxes out at 25-30 nautical miles.
Attached Thumbnails
FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-1558782622176.jpg  

blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 23:34   #83
BHPian

Don't know if it is right to share here.
Mods- please delete the post if it is inappropriate.
Just spotted Air India 1 on Flightradar24 on it's way to Japan.
Was waiting for this moment for long.
FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-screenshot_20190626224924_flightradar24.jpg

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-screenshot_20190626231515_flightradar24.jpg
Old 27th June 2019, 01:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Just create an alert for the flight and you will get an alert any time AI1 gets on the air.
Old 21st December 2019, 22:25   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

A clear sky and a trail, sadly I wasn't carrying my DSLR.

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-img_20191221_165425__01.jpg

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-img_20191221_165420__01.jpg

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-screenshot_20191221165406__01.jpg
BoneCollector is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 14:36   #86
BHPian

Just noticed today that certain aircraft in Flightradar24 are Blue in color, while others are the regular Yellow. Earlier all aircraft used to show up as Yellow.

I thought that the Blue ones were those which were not actually being tracked but were based on estimated positions - flightradar would estimate the position of an aircraft for 240 mins once its out of coverage of an ADS-B receiver - typically the trails of these aircraft are shown as grey dotted lines.

But that does not seem to be the case, there are flights that are currently showing 'actual' positions - meaning showing either a Purple, blue trail based on its current height.

Anyone know what the 'blue' aircraft indicate ?
Attached Thumbnails
FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-snip1.jpg  

Old 13th March 2020, 14:44   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Just noticed today that certain aircraft in Flightradar24 are Blue in color, while others are the regular Yellow. Earlier all aircraft used to show up as Yellow.
According to flightradar website, the blue aircrafts are those tracked by Satellite based ADS-B data.
Here's the link: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/s...radar24-users/

For other readers, Automatic dependent surveillance—broadcast (ADS–B) is a surveillance technology in which an aircraft determines its position via satellite navigation and periodically broadcasts it, enabling it to be tracked.

Last edited by saket77 : 13th March 2020 at 14:46.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 15:49   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
According to flightradar website, the blue aircrafts are those tracked by Satellite based ADS-B data.
Thanks Saket. I never used to see any aircraft in Blue earlier, alll aircraft were always in with the Yellow icon.

I have been a regular FR24 user for close to 5 years now - it is only today that I see the Blue / Yellow differentiation, both on the website and on the FR24 mobile application.
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:56   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anyone know what the 'blue' aircraft indicate ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
As rightly pointed out by saket77, these aircrafts are indeed tracked by satellite. It's not necessary that the aircrafts flying over sea only are tracked by satellites but even those on land.

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-screenshot_20200313165614.jpg

Quote:
I have been a regular FR24 user for close to 5 years now - it is only today that I see the Blue / Yellow differentiation, both on the website and on the FR24 mobile application.

I wonder how I missed posting it here. I had first tracked a flight via satellite last year, to be precise on 20th March 2019. I somehow failed to upload it here.

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-screenshot_20200313165443.jpg

FlightRadar24 - Live Flight Tracker. My experience as a host-screenshot_20200313170251.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 13th March 2020 at 16:59.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 17:01   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
As rightly pointed out by saket77, these aircrafts are indeed tracked by satellite. It's not necessary that the aircrafts flying over sea only are tracked by satellites but even those on land.
I believe this is due to unavailability of hosts(?). So, in areas where hosts are not covering the exact data, satellite data is being reported?

Thanks.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed