Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 19:17   #241
BANNED

Re: Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
IIRC, it is present on both the sides. This is the old variant. The current ones are of a different design.
This is 9400 and seems be bought not more than a year old.

This one had only one side. The other side only housed the radiator on the whole area.
Old 25th February 2013, 19:30   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is 9400 and seems be bought not more than a year old.

This one had only one side. The other side only housed the radiator on the whole area.
The bus doesn't seem really new to me. I am sure of the Air-intake assembly in the new Volvo buses. The regn number marked is AP-09-TA-2244, which according to the AP MVD website is a 2006 model bus. This is surely a pre-CRDI variant B7R - the one which produced 260hp. This model had lots of failures, which compelled Volvo to come-up with the current design of air-intake, where the intake is mounted on the rear pillars, above the engine level.
Old 25th February 2013, 23:20   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that air intake sufficient for such an engine?!
This is the air intake pipe connecting to air filter. Air is sucked through this honey comb structure.

Quote:
IIRC, it is present on both the sides. This is the old variant. The current ones are of a different design.
In this type its in one side only.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 25th February 2013 at 23:21.
Old 25th February 2013, 23:26   #244
BANNED

Good one Binaiks. But this is the old one buddy which has only one side air intake.
Old 26th February 2013, 10:19   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
This is the air intake pipe connecting to air filter. Air is sucked through this honey comb structure.
As Ashley2 mentioned, it's the air intake. If you notice closely, the inlet has a swirl mechanism attached to it and this helps to create a swirl for the incoming air and due to this, any solid particle present in the air, like sand, settles at the bottom of the chamber and can be removed periodically.
The same mechanism is used on WDG4/WDP4 class of locomotives used by Indian Railways, but the air-box in those can accommodate 2-3 people and has 2x1hp (IIRC) motors to suck in the air.

Last edited by A350XWB : 26th February 2013 at 10:20.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 11:12   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
As Ashley2 mentioned, it's the air intake. If you notice closely, the inlet has a swirl mechanism attached to it and this helps to create a swirl for the incoming air and due to this, any solid particle present in the air, like sand, settles at the bottom of the chamber and can be removed periodically.
Don't these air filters have a particular name? I vaguely remember reading so somewhere - like a cyclone filter or something. The bus "sneezes" from time to time to remove all the accumulated dust. The frequency of sneeze increases as dust increases - like in rainy/dusty conditions.
Old 26th February 2013, 11:46   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Don't these air filters have a particular name? I vaguely remember reading so somewhere - like a cyclone filter or something. The bus "sneezes" from time to time to remove all the accumulated dust. The frequency of sneeze increases as dust increases - like in rainy/dusty conditions.
Yes, they are called cyclonic filter or cyclonic separator.
I don't know whether the sneezing is because of this. I thought that the sneezing is caused by the air dryer releasing the moisture and/or the release of excess pressure from the system. The sneezing can be heard from older buses and trucks also, which used only the conventional air inlets. Maybe they expel the dirt also in the newer ones, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by A350XWB : 26th February 2013 at 11:57.
Old 26th February 2013, 16:54   #248
BANNED

Quote:
How effective are these air filters are compared to the ones present in the car and bikes?

If seen technically they are better and more efficient than the air filters present as they will remove the heavy debris and the finers ones can be removed by the paper types present in our cars.

Sneezing is from the air line which removes moistures and maintains the needed pressure in the whole line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Yes, they are called cyclonic filter or cyclonic separator. I don't know whether the sneezing is because of this. I thought that the sneezing is caused by the air dryer releasing the moisture and/or the release of excess pressure from the system. The sneezing can be heard from older buses and trucks also, which used only the conventional air inlets. Maybe they expel the dirt also in the newer ones, but I'm not sure.
+1 for the sneezing effect in trucks and buses. Does this sneexing effect happen in cars by any chance?

Anurag.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:00   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Does this sneexing effect happen in cars by any chance?
I don't think the "sneezing" is present in cars as most of the cars does not use compressed air for brake circuits. They use hydraulic fluid and so, doesn't need to sneeze
Old 27th February 2013, 22:30   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The bus "sneezes" from time to time to remove all the accumulated dust. The frequency of sneeze increases as dust increases - like in rainy/dusty conditions.
Dusting to be done manually in dust evacuating valve, periodically.
Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-201302232007_13_32.jpg

Quote:
How effective are these air filters are compared to the ones present in the car and bikes?
....+1 for the sneezing effect in trucks and buses. Does this sneexing effect happen in cars by any chance?...
These are far more effective and reliable (for that matter any aggregates) than the ones found in Cars. Secondary filter needs replacement once in ~48000 kms. This is in comparison upto 10000 kms for a car (also car does not have primary and secondary filter and its only one).
Old 1st March 2013, 18:25   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
These are far more effective and reliable (for that matter any aggregates) than the ones found in Cars. Secondary filter needs replacement once in ~48000 kms. This is in comparison upto 10000 kms for a car (also car does not have primary and secondary filter and its only one).
If they are superior and better why don't these come fit in cars?

Is it because of the cost involved or the space constraints the engine bay to place two filters?!

Anurag.
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:52   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If they are superior and better why don't these come fit in cars?
Is it because of the cost involved or the space constraints the engine bay to place two filters?!.
Not all the superior features need not be available in cars (Here I mean regular on cars and not SUV's meant for off roading)
This is for many reasons.
- Reduced availability
- Lower lifecycle costs
- Reduced durability etc etc..
I do have a different view of OEM's increasing their revenue by giving faster replacement parts instead of giving more durable parts.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 18:32   #253
BANNED

I have noticed one thing in these Volvo 9400 multi-axle as when it brakes it makes a hissing sounds as to two metals rubbing each other or like air releasing during braking.

As much as I know the brakes are hydraulic equipped with retarders in each axle. What could that sound be?
Old 19th March 2013, 01:57   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed one thing in these Volvo 9400 multi-axle as when it brakes it makes a hissing sounds as to two metals rubbing each other or like air releasing during braking.

As much as I know the brakes are hydraulic equipped with retarders in each axle. What could that sound be?
Me thinks Volvo uses Air Brakes. That explains the hissing sound, I suppose
Old 19th March 2013, 06:13   #255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

Me thinks Volvo uses Air Brakes. That explains the hissing sound, I suppose
Just checked their website.

It says suspension is Full Air,

But the brakes - Disc with EBS 5 with a retarder - Hydraulic one.

The other chance could be that the suspension is trying to maintain its compose under braking by releasing air to compensate for the dip. Correct me if i am wrong.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks