Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 10:00   #166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Volvo calls it 6x2, while it actually has 4 powered wheels (the rear most axle)
Agreed, but it still doesnt offer an explanation as to why they use different rims.
Old 19th August 2009, 10:56   #167
BHPian

Traveled by KSRTC B9R on Monday from Chennai to Bangalore. Was disappointed as this did not have a toilet as with other twin rear-axle buses abroad. The bus's extra length meant that weaving into traffic was difficult as was overtaking. The maximum speed the driver drove was 90 KMPH but it got there quicker when compared to B7R. I felt that it does not make sense to have this bus run on this route as there is not much of cost savings in doing medium hauls on high-dense route. I was seating right behind the driver but I felt that this was noisier when compared to B7R. Not about the AC part as there were only eleven passengers in this bus and as soon as we reached Poonamalee everybody including the conductor(lady) went to sleep using the 2 seats across. Started from Koyambedu at 1130 PM (1110PM Scheduled start time) and was in electronic city by 4:45 AM with a stop for 15 mins in between after Krishnagiri toll (opp Hotel Uthayah)
Old 19th August 2009, 12:26   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Agreed, but it still doesnt offer an explanation as to why they use different rims.
There is no difference in the rim. It is just that one one axle one tyre (or one rim) is mounted on either side of the axle. The other axle has two tyres each on either sides of the axle. In this case, two rims are bolted face to face.

So what you see in the second axle is the "rear" portion of the rim. This is what happens in all Heavy Vehicles, and I wonder what is the surprise here.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:39   #169
BHPian

Quote:
KSRTC does it A G A I N !!!

Karnataka State RTC has introduced the Volvo B9R (9400 6x2)!

The bus is currently on trial on the Bangalore-Chennai Route. It departs from Bangalore at 1400, and from Chennai at 2310. Here are some pics...
I don't see the Airavat mentioned on these as was seen on B7R intra-city buses. What are these buses called?
Old 19th August 2009, 19:43   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I don't see the Airavat mentioned on these as was seen on B7R intra-city buses. What are these buses called?
What about " Mammoths" ? bigger than Airavat
Old 19th August 2009, 21:51   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if Trial buses are ever given a name
Old 25th September 2009, 11:51   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Volvo calls it 6x2, while it actually has 4 powered wheels (the rear most axle)
Well even if it has 4 tyres on the rear most (driven) axle, it is just two wheels. Tyres is not equal to wheels
Old 25th September 2009, 14:17   #173
BANNED

Quote:

I guess they are still called Airavat - I had to use KSRTC last week on an quick trip to Chennai to pick up my car. I boarded the bus at madivala police station at around 11:45pm and it was the B9R coach & had the airavat logo. But KSRTC again has made it cramped - (lukicly the bus was half empty & no one occupied the seat before me and that gave me some respite)
Old 26th September 2009, 22:54   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Traveled by KSRTC B9R on Monday from Chennai to Bangalore. Was disappointed as this did not have a toilet as with other twin rear-axle buses abroad.
I dont think any B9R in India has a toilet. The main aim of purchasing a B9R in India is cost / more profit.

KSRTC has always had more seats even on the B7R. for example, on the Bangalore - Mumbai or the Mumbai - Mangalore route, KSRTC B7Rs have 45 seats instead of 41 or 36 on other operators like VRL / Sharma.

Likewise even the KSRTC B9Rs have 52 (the last row i think has four seats only) seats. that is 13 rows as against to 12 or even 11 on other operators B9Rs.... So yes, the KSRTC buses always have had a little less space - bad for people over 6 feet like me.

From what i understand, KSRTC is the first govt run operator to be given the B9R : for a trial for 3 months.
Old 27th September 2009, 10:19   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post

KSRTC has always had more seats even on the B7R. for example, on the Bangalore - Mumbai or the Mumbai - Mangalore route, KSRTC B7Rs have 45 seats instead of 41 or 36 on other operators like VRL / Sharma.

Likewise even the KSRTC B9Rs have 52 (the last row i think has four seats only) seats. that is 13 rows as against to 12 or even 11 on other operators B9Rs.... So yes, the KSRTC buses always have had a little less space - bad for people over 6 feet like me.
Isn't that just a false assumption? Private carriers fit Semi-sleeper seats in their buses - and these seats, by design, require more seats that the "so-called Executive" seats. KSRTC - and all Government Volvos, for that matter - have Executive seats in their buses - this is mainly to improve utilisation of buses. KSRTC used to operate buses with Semi-sleeper seats on the Bangalore-Mumbai route (the charges used to be slightly higher than normal Volvos), but had to withdraw later since they did not have spare buses, just incase the semi-sleeper bus had a problem. Since they charged higher fares, they couldn't sent normal Volvos as a replacement.

Since then, KSRTC purchases only 45-seater Volvos (which is the standard seating arrangement for a Volvo). On the other hand, Private operators go for semi-sleeper seats for all their buses (Except may be Neeta/Koduskar/Metro Line buses that run dedicatedly between Mumbai and Pune, may be Nasik/Shirdi and Mahabaleshwar, too). Since private operators have too little "cross-usage" they can afford to have semi-sleeper on all their buses.

The Standard seating pattern for Volvo is:
B7R: 45 (Executive Seats), 41 (36 Semi-sleeper + 5 Executive seats). In some buses, 36 Semi-sleeper seats, with a crew "bunk" is provided.
B9R: 53 (Executive seats), 49 (44 Semi-sleeper seats + 5 Executive seats).

Quote:
From what i understand, KSRTC is the first govt run operator to be given the B9R : for a trial for 3 months.
KSRTC has already purchased these monsters. Five buses owned by KSRTC was recently flagged off by the state transport minister at a function recently. The trial buses have reportedly been returned. This makes KSRTC the FIRST GOVERNMENT-OWNED B9R OPERATOR in India.
Old 27th September 2009, 11:42   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that just a false assumption? Private carriers fit Semi-sleeper seats in their buses - and these seats, by design, require more seats that the "so-called Executive" seats. KSRTC - and all Government Volvos, for that matter - have Executive seats in their buses - this is mainly to improve utilisation of buses. KSRTC used to operate buses with Semi-sleeper seats on the Bangalore-Mumbai route (the charges used to be slightly higher than normal Volvos), but had to withdraw later since they did not have spare buses, just incase the semi-sleeper bus had a problem. Since they charged higher fares, they couldn't sent normal Volvos as a replacement.

Since then, KSRTC purchases only 45-seater Volvos (which is the standard seating arrangement for a Volvo). On the other hand, Private operators go for semi-sleeper seats for all their buses (Except may be Neeta/Koduskar/Metro Line buses that run dedicatedly between Mumbai and Pune, may be Nasik/Shirdi and Mahabaleshwar, too). Since private operators have too little "cross-usage" they can afford to have semi-sleeper on all their buses.

The Standard seating pattern for Volvo is:
B7R: 45 (Executive Seats), 41 (36 Semi-sleeper + 5 Executive seats). In some buses, 36 Semi-sleeper seats, with a crew "bunk" is provided.
B9R: 53 (Executive seats), 49 (44 Semi-sleeper seats + 5 Executive seats).

KSRTC has already purchased these monsters. Five buses owned by KSRTC was recently flagged off by the state transport minister at a function recently. The trial buses have reportedly been returned. This makes KSRTC the FIRST GOVERNMENT-OWNED B9R OPERATOR in India.
Yes i do know about the pattern in the buses. but the replacement reason seems well, hard to believe. buses dont break down everyday, do they?
Secondly, again, i was replying to someone in this topic who mentioned about seat comfort: so my facts above are right, right?

As for the B9R, as per the news i saw the other day, i thought these were on a trial bases as of now. if not, its a great new step by KSRTC and Volvo together!!
Old 27th September 2009, 12:56   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i do know about the pattern in the buses. but the replacement reason seems well, hard to believe. buses dont break down everyday, do they?
I though breakdown was NOT the only criteria to have spare buses. It is always better to have a uniform pattern in all buses, so that they could be cross-utilised. There has been occasions when the incoming bus turns up well past its return departure time - especially if there was a road block.

It is your choice to believe the reasons stated or not.

Quote:
Secondly, again, i was replying to someone in this topic who mentioned about seat comfort: so my facts above are right, right?
Is it just fair to reply to a mis-conception by agreeing to it? In case you know the reason why such a mis-conception occurs, better try to correct it rather than support it.

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2009 at 11:44. Reason: Removing last line which took a personal tone
Old 27th November 2009, 10:08   #178
BHPian

I took the SRM Volvo B9R to Kerala recently.
Awesome ride alright.
Especially in the stretch from Hosur End to Dharmapuri.
If such roads were all over the route, life would have been a lot better and travel a pleasure with the likes of Multi Axles.
Old 27th November 2009, 11:22   #179
BHPian

I travelled from Bangalore to Mumbai in Sharma Transports Mercedes- Benz bus during Diwali Vacation. It was just awesome. It took around 16 hrs to reach Mumbai. Even after wasting almost an hour in Pune. plus two breaks of 40 mins each.

While coming back i took Vishal Travels Volvo B9R from Mumbai to Mangalore and later Durgamba Motors sleeper Ashok Leyland from Mangalore to Bangalore.

But overall i found Mercedes Benz much comfortable than Volvo B9R. The suspension in Mercedes Benz is much better than volvo. Had a good sleep also.

On the pick up and power i found both doing resonably good. But in Mercedes i coundt not make out the speed. It was a smooth ride. Since i took the first row i was able to see the speedometer. Have took the snap also at 110 Speed. Will add it during weekend.

In volvo i felt the speed at night and sudden brakes woke me up regularly. But when i woke up it almost reached Kundapur. It was definitely travelling for more than 100+KMS. It reached Mangalore in just 16 hrs with 2 tea breks and a dinner break of 30 mins each.

Compared to Volvo B7R, B9R is much comfortable and stable. But Mercedes ia a real star.

Will put the pics during weekend.
Old 29th November 2009, 18:57   #180
BHPian

Just as mentioned above, check out the pics

Mercedes Benz Bus

At the hotel

Check out the speed

Volvo B9R

Multi Axel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks