Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 23:18   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Forgot to add... I had a ride in a TM Marcopolo in Chennai. Route no D70. The engine seemed underpowered, and the ride quality was also not that great. But aesthetics were good.
D70 is one of the profit making routes in chennai.
And of course the buses are replaced in a timely manner.
But SS, can you post some more details of the travel.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
D70 is one of the profit making routes in chennai.
And of course the buses are replaced in a timely manner.
But SS, can you post some more details of the travel.
Well, it was in fact a not-so-long ride considering the distance (~20km i suppose from CMBT to Velachery). But I could hear the engine gasping and groaning when starting from a halt, even though the bus didn't have more people than can be accommodated in the seats. And the worst came while it was climbing the new Guindy fly-over. Most of the AL buses that I've traveled could negotiate without down-shifting, while this guy shifted to third.

I would prefer the Viking SLF for the ride comfort. Less bumpy I mean.

Interiors were good though. Nice seats, with enough leg room. The top railing was also good. I would say the looks were also nice except for the rear- the ages old tail lamp assembly and the overall shape looked really ugly.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:36   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Well, it was in fact a not-so-long ride considering the distance (~20km i suppose from CMBT to Velachery).
D70 is between Ambattur Industrial Estate and Velachery dude.
Old 14th February 2010, 08:22   #124
BHPian

I boarded one of the KeSRTC low floor A/c Volvo buses last week in Trivandrum. Most impressive esp since the bus was a special one connecting the Garib Rath from Bangalore at Kochu Veli. As Trivandrumites are aware Kochu Veli is in the middle of nowhere and public transport difficult to find. Autos were as usual asking ridiculous rates but to my surprise found this KeSRTC service waiting for pax at the station entrance (the train was half an hour late). Clearly a special service and no wonder the bus was full. Charges were Rs 21 to East Fort or Rs 14 to Pallimukku (the connection point for buses to the north of the city). Very polite crew but the Hindi film music being played inside was a sort of anti -climax

Well done KeSRTC.

Interestingly off topic a few observations about the GR. I travelled all the way to Trivandrum from Bangy and in my coach atleast the following was the status. Hardly anyone got down in Cbe or Pgt, a few got down there in Trichur , train was half empty from Ernakulam and after Chengannur there were three of us all the way to Trivandrum! IR should do some serious revenue management here - or terminate the train at Kochi or Kottayam! Also the train was run on diesel traction as far as I can see right from the start even where there was electric traction - Palghat- EKM section etc. I took the Kurla express on the way back (horrible old coaches but running on time between TRV and Alwaye - (only 4 1/2 hours) and that was on electric traction!!! And bfore I forget 90% o the coach had Etickets (or bookings made with Credit Cards)- easily made out from the reservation chart with the NRF code, so IT babus in IR can be justifiably happy!!!

Anway back to topic, well done KeSRTC. The minister may be cribbing about low floor busses and its losses but atleast those of us pax connecting othe GR were very happy and impressed -quite a few were checking with the conductor about the connection bus for the return.
Old 14th February 2010, 09:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Interestingly off topic a few observations about the GR. I travelled all the way to Trivandrum from Bangy and in my coach atleast the following was the status. Hardly anyone got down in Cbe or Pgt, a few got down there in Trichur , train was half empty from Ernakulam and after Chengannur there were three of us all the way to Trivandrum! IR should do some serious revenue management here - or terminate the train at Kochi or Kottayam! Also the train was run on diesel traction as far as I can see right from the start even where there was electric traction - Palghat- EKM section etc. I took the Kurla express on the way back (horrible old coaches but running on time between TRV and Alwaye - (only 4 1/2 hours) and that was on electric traction!!! And bfore I forget 90% o the coach had Etickets (or bookings made with Credit Cards)- easily made out from the reservation chart with the NRF code, so IT babus in IR can be justifiably happy!!!
Absolutely OT - Proceed at your own risk:

Trains with lower frequencies are often run on Diesel even under the wires to help in loco link management. The loco link for the train in question is provided by Krishnarajapuram Diesel Loco shed, and there is absolutely no point in keeping the loco out of use mid way - just for the sake of running the train on electric traction. However, in case of daily trains, a suitable modification would be made to the loco link plan, allowing the loco to be cut off enroute.

Next -the NRF: NRF is used not only in e/i-tickets, but also on railway warrants, tickets booked as a part of circular journey tickets, tickets booked against IndRail passes, and various other vouchers and warrants.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:16   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
D70 is between Ambattur Industrial Estate and Velachery dude.
I know that. But I meant I boarded the bus from CMBT
Old 15th February 2010, 10:42   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Trains with lower frequencies are often run on Diesel even under the wires to help in loco link management. The loco link for the train in question is provided by Krishnarajapuram Diesel Loco shed, and there is absolutely no point in keeping the loco out of use mid way - just for the sake of running the train on electric traction. However, in case of daily trains, a suitable modification would be made to the loco link plan, allowing the loco to be cut off enroute.
Adding to it, in this case the Loco change has to happen at Erode. Earlier when most of Kerala was not under wires almost all trains were traction changed at Erode, now this is restricted to very minimal number of trains (primarily the ones going towards Karur side). So this is more an odd man out loco link which would be difficult to maintain without getting the loco to spend too much time waiting at Erode for the next link towards KJM.
Old 15th February 2010, 23:05   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Next -the NRF: NRF is used not only in e/i-tickets, but also on railway warrants, tickets booked as a part of circular journey tickets, tickets booked against IndRail passes, and various other vouchers and warrants.

Okay relax! I am not doubting the technicalities or accuracy of your pin point arguements! I am a mere what you call a journeyman!!!

NRF first - Yo are right ofcourse - but then I also had the good fortune to observe most of my fellow pax and there were very few of vouchers/warrants/Circular journey/Indrail or what not. No - I did not take up a part time job of the TTEs deputy but then trying to make a fairly good assesment of the pax profile is part of the job which I do to earn a living.And point taken about Electric traction!!! Just got curious that is all!!!

Anyway back to topic - we are talking about city buses of STUs here after all!!!

I stand corrected on my own post. Apparently the JnNuRM low floor I took at KochuVeli is a scheduled service. Only thing it was scheduled to leave at 1300 (GR is supposed to arrive at 1240). But the good thing is the crew waited till the train came in at 1330!!! Well done KeSRTC.

Here is the full schedule- covers all JnNuRM from both Trivandrum and Kochi.The Kochu Veli schedule is under Bus no 5 of TVM (the schedule is in Malayalam)http://www.keralartc.com/html/JnNURM-TVM-TimeTable.pdf and http://www.keralartc.com/html/JnNURM...-TimeTable.pdf

Schedule seems to be correct since there is one bus listed to leave Ankamaly at 1700 towards Aroor (under the Kochi schedule) . I passed this one parked while enroute to Trichur yesterday!!!
Old 15th February 2010, 23:43   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Only thing it was scheduled to leave at 1300 (GR is supposed to arrive at 1240). But the good thing is the crew waited till the train came in at 1330!!! Well done KeSRTC.
I wont consider it a good thing. What about the passengers(if any) who boarded between 12:40 and 13:00 and passengers waiting for this bus at subsequent stops. I am sure they are pissed off, and wont use again. Ideally, they should have arranged a special service at 13:30 with out affecting the published schedule.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:39   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Ideally, they should have arranged a special service at 13:30 with out affecting the published schedule.
TVV
Do you dream of this happening ever in our own "Gods Own Country"

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 17th February 2010, 21:36   #131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I do agree with you. But I believe DTC has the worst maintenance practice in whole of India(even though these buses are maintained by TML as per their contract). They are looking so horrible and are never fit for running in any roads in India.
I really feel pitty for Delhians
NO, The Buses are Maintained by TATA , who has In turn outsource this to 3 rd company , DAMM this Outsourcing . the Guys were not at all trained and messed up things BIG Time . now After that fine of 4 Crores For recent breakdown , TATA's have placed their Own Engg at every depot , but again how much can a Single Man do. still you can spot 1-2 Busses Standing in middle of road daily for one problem or other problem.
Old 18th February 2010, 06:08   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

O/T. What is the purpose of spending thousands of crores in electrification of lines and then running diesel traction under the wires? It speaks volumes of IR's planning, that after massive electrification of lines, it finds itself with excess of diesel motive power!!!!
And Lalu apparently gave a dikat to run most of the trains on diesel, since it was cheaper. No one seems to care that it is cheaper, precisely because railways get diesel at a cheap/subsidized rate, not withstanding the actual cost borne by the tax payer. This sucks
* And now we may need to pay upto 5Rs/litre more on petrol...thanks to the govt's mulling on fuel price hike
Old 19th February 2010, 19:03   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
NO, The Buses are Maintained by TATA , who has In turn outsource this to 3 rd company , DAMM this Outsourcing . the Guys were not at all trained and messed up things BIG Time . now After that fine of 4 Crores For recent breakdown , TATA's have placed their Own Engg at every depot , but again how much can a Single Man do. still you can spot 1-2 Busses Standing in middle of road daily for one problem or other problem.
I know that. What I was pointing was the older buses which are currently maintained by DTC.
Old 19th February 2010, 23:35   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that. What I was pointing was the older buses which are currently maintained by DTC.
The 3 rd party maintenance is still in early stages in India where as it is a common practice in developed countries. Eventually, big manufactures like TM/AL could have their own division for Vehicle maintenance ( This is not the after sales service) and bid for maintenance contracts. If more STUs opt for this model, it will be viable for the vendor also. Advantages for STUs, no need to keep the spares(Vendor does that), less down time.
Old 20th February 2010, 00:20   #135

Hey Guys
I happened to spot a few of the newly inducted Ashok Leyland low-floor buses in DTC's fleet, and have been seeing quite a few of them on Delhi's roads. I took a short ride in one of them, and here are the pictures:

City Buses of various STUs all over India-image001.jpg

Interiors, very similar to the Tata-Marcopolos already in service.

City Buses of various STUs all over India-image003.jpg
City Buses of various STUs all over India-image006.jpg

The faux-wood on the AL, absent on the Tata-Marcopolo. Somehow, I liked it, even though it looks cheap.

City Buses of various STUs all over India-image011.jpg
City Buses of various STUs all over India-image016.jpg

Notice the 'Gas Leak Indicator':

City Buses of various STUs all over India-image015.jpg
City Buses of various STUs all over India-image020.jpg
City Buses of various STUs all over India-image021.jpg

My ride back home: A Tata-Marcopolo AC bus. Popularly known as the 'Red Bus' in Delhi. I really like the cherry-red colour of these buses.

City Buses of various STUs all over India-image030.jpg
City Buses of various STUs all over India-image032.jpg
City Buses of various STUs all over India-image036.jpg

I've been in the Volvo city buses in Chennai, and the ALs and Tatas don't match the refinement of the Volvos for sure. Even in the brand new AL, which hadn't even completed a week's worth of service when I took this ride, the doors were rattling weirdly, and the door open/close warning lights weren't working. These were just some of the things I noticed during my short ride. As far as the comparison with the Tata-Marcopolo buses is concerned, the AL wasn't anything special, it seemed like a Tata from inside, drove like one, and was as jerky as a Tata can also be, courtesy the drivers who haven't yet learned how to use the breaks properly on these new buses.

I just hope things get better as the CommonWealth Games approach, and Delhi has enough buses to cope up with the removal of the ghastly Blueline buses.

Cheers
VibrantSoul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks