Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 12:13   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I considered BEST, the best managed Public Transport Undertaking in India. I changed my mind once they ordered the KingLongs. Other than the KingLongs, the BEST track record so far is excellent.
Notiwthstanding the breakdown rate (has reduced nowadays), the King Long buses are great value for money, compared to the super-expensive Volvos, and to that extent I think BEST made a wise investment in the King Longs.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 12:39   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
.....With the windows rolled up in the Scorp' I still could hear the engine whine.
My house is situated on a road parallel to the Basaveshwaranagar main road (Siddiah Puranik Road). Even though I am away from the main road, I can always tell when the 96/96A route Marcopolos pass by, just by hearing its sound.

Mahesh, you put it right when you say the transmission 'whines'. I had always wondered why these buses whine. And they say, these buses are a cost effective replacement for Volvos (B7R LE).
Old 5th February 2010, 12:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

Dear Kumar sir,

Initially I also thought that the breakdown rate has reduced. But in reality, it is more of a perception, since a majority of the Kinglongs now are just a few months old. The first batch of Kinglongs consisting of 20 buses continues to be as unreliable as earlier.

Moreover, performance of the JNNURM buses (Latest version) is still just about average at speeds below 20 kph. The buses simply lack the grunt, and drivers cannot negotiate bumper to bumper traffic with the confidence that they used to have with the non AC buses (diesel as well as CNG). Above 20-25 kph performance is quite good. The JNNURM buses are a big big improvement over the first edition, but the engine has to be revved hard to get good performance. The buses simply lack the ease & effortlessness of a Volvo's acceleration.

Then there is the issue of vibrations. Vibrations are beyond comfortable limits under hard acceleration. The body is very flimsy compared to a Volvo. I have seen the metal of roof getting detached from the body on its own in a bus hardly a few months old. Too much of engine noise enters the cabin. Direction of throw of air from AC vents is fixed. They cannot be closed either. Front part of the buses start rattling like bullock carts after a couple of months.

When I travelled in NMMT's Volvo for just a short distance after extensive travelling in all the three editions of BEST Kinglongs, the difference was obvious the moment I entered the bus. Everything was of the highest quality. In short, I will conclude that Volvos are well worth the extra moolah. The brand value of "VOLVO" itself will draw people towards the buses.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 15:15   #94
santoshnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
You are going bit too overboard with the criticism when you doubt whether the chassis is SLF or not. I repeat, the only issue with the BEST buses is the looks. Nothing else is wrong. Lighting is sufficient with 6 tubelights. Travel comfort too is there. Buses have air suspension like other cities. Ventilation too is not an issue. There is enough ventilation through the windows and small slits at floor level.

why u getting so touchy abt it, its a discussion forum and i m expressing my thoughts

Old 5th February 2010, 16:19   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
why u getting so touchy abt it, its a discussion forum and i m expressing my thoughts
It is not a question of getting touchy, but a question of getting the facts right. You cannot question the chassis just because the looks of the body are bad (functionally there is nothing wrong in the body).
Old 5th February 2010, 18:43   #96
santoshnair

i have never said anything wrong buddy as you said i clearly said the looks are depressing and yes i have travelled in the BEST JNNURM, KOLKOTTA JNNURM and BMTC JNNURM buses and what i stated is not on mere observation but travel experience.
If looks are bad they are bad light ventilation is less in day time because the the window sizes are same i spoke to a driver and he said the MUTP gears were much better than the current ones these are the facts that made me speak . BEST has always been a first be it CNG way back in 95 or the best DBl decker buses even today are ranked no 1 and ofcourse the vestibule buses. BEST was ahead of times of all transport organisations. Its just last years that others have marched ahead.

Just and observation and view point sharing out of experience.

Old 5th February 2010, 22:16   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

just went through thread in one breadth , and surprisingly no Post from delhi, appreciating DTC ( largest Fleet of TATA Marcopolo) I think they Cost`s around 45-50 Lakhs ( NON -AC ) and 50-54 Lakhs ( AC ) to Us tax Payers and again they left Lot to be desired . Again TATA has Messes up Big time , few Buses are just 6 month Old and look like if they have been running since Ages ,In addiiton they will stop At any place , Once she stopped right in the Middle of a Flyover, While Climbing , reason , the Door Sensor is not working and she is designed not to move incase Door is Open .Helpless driver , Switched Off everything in BUS 4 times and Sensor comes alive on 5th Crank ..So good these TATA buses Are ??

IMO Ashoka leyland here looks Far better than Tata In every Aspect . not the mention the Horror Stories of TATA buses Catching fire, right in Middle of road .
Old 6th February 2010, 11:12   #98

Does any have any information on the multiplexing of electrical system in Jnnurm Buses, I heard that as per Jnnurm Bus guidlines all these buses supplied to STU's should have electrical multiplexing, destination board & ITS. Is this being done ?
Old 6th February 2010, 12:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

from whatever transport buses i have seen so far Bangalore city buses are the best, well maintained, and clean.

Spike
Old 6th February 2010, 12:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering, does any STU fill nitrogen in the tyres of their buses? BEST has started doing it, at least for some buses. Magathane depot (Borivali east) fills nitrogen in all their buses now. "N2" is painted in small letters just besides the tyre pressure value near wheels.

What improvement will be there if nitrogen is filled?
Old 6th February 2010, 21:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Just wondering, does any STU fill nitrogen in the tyres of their buses? BEST has started doing it, at least for some buses. Magathane depot (Borivali east) fills nitrogen in all their buses now. "N2" is painted in small letters just besides the tyre pressure value near wheels.
Kerala SRTC has been doing this since December 2007. Initially their AC buses were run on N2, now many depots have shifted over to N2 instead of air.

I hear N2 gives better ride - I did not feel any change in these buses though.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkvasan View Post
Does any have any information on the multiplexing of electrical system in Jnnurm Buses, I heard that as per Jnnurm Bus guidlines all these buses supplied to STU's should have electrical multiplexing, destination board & ITS. Is this being done ?
Multiplexing wiring is basically an advanced method in vehicle electrical system.
Here we will be using two master controllers in the vehicle one at FR and one at RR. They will be connected by a single buss.All the connections at the front like head lamp,trafficators,park lamps, dash board controls will be managed by FR master and tail lamp and other accessories will be handled by RR master.
The advantage is that this type of wiring eliminates the complex wiring harnesses running to length and breadth of the vehicle and individual leads will be used to connect each accessories with nearest controller.
Also each master acts as a stand by to another master. Failure in any one of the master will be addressed by another master.
This type of wiring is been used in ALL's ULE for DTC. Not sure of the use in all JNnurm orders though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
just went through thread in one breadth , and surprisingly no Post from delhi, appreciating DTC ( largest Fleet of TATA Marcopolo) I think they Cost`s around 45-50 Lakhs ( NON -AC ) and 50-54 Lakhs ( AC ) to Us tax Payers and again they left Lot to be desired . Again TATA has Messes up Big time , few Buses are just 6 month Old and look like if they have been running since Ages ,In addiiton they will stop At any place , Once she stopped right in the Middle of a Flyover, While Climbing , reason , the Door Sensor is not working and she is designed not to move incase Door is Open .Helpless driver , Switched Off everything in BUS 4 times and Sensor comes alive on 5th Crank ..So good these TATA buses Are ??

IMO Ashoka leyland here looks Far better than Tata In every Aspect . not the mention the Horror Stories of TATA buses Catching fire, right in Middle of road .
I do agree with you. But I believe DTC has the worst maintenance practice in whole of India(even though these buses are maintained by TML as per their contract). They are looking so horrible and are never fit for running in any roads in India.
I really feel pitty for Delhians

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 12:24. Reason: Back to back posts.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2010, 11:20   #103
santoshnair

There is some news going around that BEST is procuring 50 ULE buses of AL on the same lines like DTC the AC version. These are currently based in Anik Depot and are being put on trial.
If so the its good news because the buses are really good and heard they are Red in COlor spotting the BEST color combo.

Can someone confirm this

Old 10th February 2010, 11:44   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I do agree with you. But I believe DTC has the worst maintenance practice in whole of India(even though these buses are maintained by TML as per their contract). They are looking so horrible and are never fit for running in any roads in India.
I really feel pitty for Delhians
Considering the price quoted includes 12 years of maintenance, it may not be that high. AL also costs pretty much the same. I am not sure what exactly you mean by "But I believe DTC has the worst maintenance practice in whole of India(even though these buses are maintained by TML as per their contract)". I feel pity for Chennites who still depends on Shared Autorikshaws and jealous about the Delhites who got 1000+ ULF buses on their roads already and 2500+ by the end of the year. In comparison to the MTCs, AL buses, the Marcopolo buses in Delhi looks much better. Considering the Engine is same in both AL and TM buses in Delhi, which technology is better, Chinese or Brazilian?

Last edited by teamveevee : 10th February 2010 at 11:46.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:59   #105
Senior - BHPian

We have money for purchasing expensive buses, but not for maintaining them?

Please refer to the attached photo. I have purposely kept it at high resolution so that the extent of damage can be seen. Cracks extend all the way in front of the driver and to the base of destination board.

In India, we seem to have the money to purchase expensive buses, but we do not have money to maintain them. This bus is running around with its windscreen in this condition for more than 2-3 months. There are more such buses, in varying degree of damage to windscreen. Thankfully, most of the broken glasses other than windscreen & smal quarter glass near door seen in this pic (also repaired in a similar fashion by sticking paper) have been replaced.

Initially I thought that it is only BEST who is indulging in this practise. But now NMMT too has started doing this. Saw a similar "repair" done on glasses of two of their Volvos.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_9822.jpg  

AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks