Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2018, 16:48   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Apologies, my friend, for talking you off and not understanding your concerns. I thought over it and realised that as you aren't aware of my skill sets, it was a 'but natural' response and I was only looking at finding "my" answers
Sigh! Dude, the reason for the 'advice' by me and others (which I note has not been accepted ) is to prevent mistakes in installation which could prove costly. It's your car/property or whatever, so please go right ahead.

Since your faith in Arunphilip's post DIY categorisation is immense just follow his steps to the 'T' and maybe you could install this successfully. More power to you! But do keep in mind Arun is also very likely an engineer (check his profile) and this DIY will be easy for someone with prior technical knowledge.

A tip - Cars use DC and mains power is AC. Voltages are 12 V DC and 230-240 V AC respectively. Messing with the latter can kill.

Good luck!

PS - Voltage (denoted by 'V') and Current (denoted by 'I') are 2 different parameters and not synonyms.

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th April 2018 at 16:56.
R2D2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:01   #152
BHPian

So the hardwire kit that came with my dashcam does not have any battery drain protection etc. Does a dashcam take so much power that it can drain a battery in say a week of no usage as mine is a non screen, non gps, non battery based model ? I will be plugging it to the fuse tap box only.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:56   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
So the hardwire kit that came with my dashcam does not have any battery drain protection etc. Does a dashcam take so much power that it can drain a battery in say a week of no usage as mine is a non screen, non gps, non battery based model ? I will be plugging it to the fuse tap box only.
Find a fuse that only draws power when the car is switched on and connect your hardwire kit to that.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 08:02   #154
BHPian

Thanks Arun for detailed instructions! Gave me inspiration to try this out myself.

I was able to hardwire my Dashcam in Maruti Ciaz - however with one change. Instead of tapping power from fuse box, a local accessories dealer hardwired the power supply to couple of cables running through the panel. I have tested the setup over last 24 hours and it is working as expected.

Dashcam - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B072FGL63X
Hardwire Kit - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/a/32847274253.html
Fuse Tap - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/r/32863474158.html (purchased but not used)

Reason for not completing the DIY was my inability to reach the fuse box to install the plug (it does require a certain physical flexibility that my body was not agreeing to ). Decided to reach out to accessories dealer to see if they can remove the seat or find someone small/flexible enough to slide under and install the fuse tap. Instead a technician looked at what I was trying to do and recommended the alternative with a statement - "sir, doing this job for 15 years, trust me". I was concerned that he was going to tamper with electrical cables which might cause issues in future - however I have been using the specific technician's services for past 10 years on multiple jobs. Decided to take the risk and it worked out all fine so far!

Will update the thread if the setup has issues in future. A happy hardwired dashcam user!!
Old 15th February 2019, 18:00   #155
BHPian

Hi

I am looking to hardwire a wireless charger that takes a micro usb input. I want to buy the following hardwire kit but it has 2 power cables: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univ...777d3c00lJUBHC

Does anyone know if I just connect the ACC cable from the kit to a fusetap (along with the ground) and leave the red battery cable disconnected, will the hardwire kit work as normal?

Or can anyone recommend a micro usb hardwire kit with just the 2 cables (power and ground) from AliExpress or similar?

Many thanks.
Old 15th February 2019, 18:50   #156
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Or can anyone recommend a micro usb hardwire kit with just the 2 cables (power and ground) from AliExpress or similar?
Check this out: LINK

Select the one you want - Micro USB in straight or at right angle configuration.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 18:58   #157
Senior - BHPian

This is what I am using -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...27424c4dMYSrzo
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:55   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thanks but this is mini USB not micro USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Check this out: LINK

Select the one you want - Micro USB in straight or at right angle configuration.
Many thanks. Ordered a couple of each types from this seller along with 5 fuse taps. Can't go wrong for $18!
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 08:41   #159
BHPian

Hey folks my Transcend DP 220 connecting cable is getting loose/faulty at the connecting point due to which the dash cam is loosing power.
Even after pushing in tight most of the times there is no power supply available. Is the power supply unit/ cable available for purchase/ any other suggestion ? I have checked the supply side connection which seems to be fine.
Old 20th February 2019, 11:41   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hey folks my Transcend DP 220 connecting cable is getting loose/faulty at the connecting point due to which the dash cam is loosing power.
Even after pushing in tight most of the times there is no power supply available. Is the power supply unit/ cable available for purchase/ any other suggestion ? I have checked the supply side connection which seems to be fine.
Make sure if the damage (wear & tear) is on the cable end or the port in device. Former is easy to replace with a new cable
Old 20th February 2019, 16:22   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Make sure if the damage (wear & tear) is on the cable end or the port in device. Former is easy to replace with a new cable
Hey thanks for your message and same is what i thought about initially. But the cable is attached to the adapter and isn't of the plug out type. Did a bit of research and found this. Another option would be to purchase adapter and long chord separately assuming that is the problem

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-702
Old 20th February 2019, 17:45   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hey thanks for your message and same is what i thought about initially. But the cable is attached to the adapter and isn't of the plug out type.
Shouldn't be a problem.
That's a regular Micro-usb connector, you could use one of the mobile charger (for a short duration, if the current ratting is different) to check.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 19:19   #163
BHPian

Guys, I'm using SJDASH for a couple of months now. I've been using it as plug & play and I'm happy with the results thus far.

Lately, I'm facing some issues with the suction holder. When the car is parked in the sun, the dash cam falls down

There is a locking mechanism also but it fails to prevent the fall, I've tried cleaning the suction with water but no respite.

What can be done to fix this? Attaching the image for reference.

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-originalsjcamsjdashsmartcardvr1080pfullhd140degreewifim30cardashcamera.jpg
Old 20th February 2019, 21:29   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
I've tried cleaning the suction with water but no respite.

What can be done to fix this?
Scrub the suction mount with soapy water.
Old 20th February 2019, 21:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

After a similar suction mount was not holding up to the expectation. I just used double sided tape in between the suction cup and the windshield.

Warm soapy water usually does the trick, and it helps if the ring around the suction cup is slightly moist as that helps is creating a good vacuum seal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks