Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 20:24   #61
BHPian

Re: DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam

How is a Dual Cigarette Lighter Splitter as an option. For ex
http://www.gearbest.com/car-charger/pp_278446.html.

The so called clutter is kind of manageable as one of the wires goes to the mobile/navigator on the dashboard and the other one go to the rear view mirror for the dashcam.
Old 29th September 2016, 16:39   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
How is a Dual Cigarette Lighter Splitter as an option. For ex http://www.gearbest.com/car-charger/pp_278446.html.
The Xiaomi one that you've linked to looks very attractive, it doesn't have the cheap appearance of other similar models I've seen until now.

And yes, a dual cigarette lighter is definitely a good option. You can use a bit of double-sided tape to tape down the flat face of it to the center console so it doesn't keep rattling around.

Bear in mind that the 12V cigarette lighter socket in the EcoSport stays powered on continuously, even when the car is locked - at least, it does in my pre-facelift one, not sure if it's different in yours.

Dashcams record as long as there is power, and shutdown once power is lost (either via a battery or capacitor to allow a clean shutdown). Do bear that point in mind - if you leave your dashcam connected, it will keep running.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:21   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Do you have a picture of the Scorpio's fuse, lying flat, to compare? You might not have to access and remove a fuse, your Scorpio's emergency kit should have a few spare fuses in there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I had removed one from behind the steering wheel (from where I wish to route the wire), but did not take a picture. To my eyes, it looks like a mini fuse. But I am not really sure. I will try to get a picture by evening
So finally managed to get this picture today.

As I mentioned earlier, to me it looks like a mini fuse. Here are the pics

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-img_20161002_111907.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-img_20161002_111847.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-img_20161002_111926.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:37   #64
BANNED

Quote:
It is Mini type.

Here is an image of comparison of the types of Fuses
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-screenshot_20161002113830.png  

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd October 2016 at 11:42.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:06   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You're right, and as a4anurag has confirmed, it is a mini fuse, also called the ATM size fuse.

This is the same fuse that I've used in my car, and here is the fuse tap that I had purchased from Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AHADOC/

I notice that these fuse taps are now on Amazon.in as well, so you can consider something like this one: http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01AG94SAM/

It won't come with a fuse, so you'll have to purchase one separately, or use one of the spare fuses that are in the lid of the fusebox.
Old 2nd October 2016, 14:56   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is Mini type.
Quote:
You're right, and as a4anurag has confirmed, it is a mini fuse, also called the ATM size fuse.
Thanks for confirming folks! I can now place the orders peacefully, lol!

Quote:
This is the same fuse that I've used in my car, and here is the fuse tap that I had purchased from Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AHADOC/
I guess it looks the part, not sure if AE products will have this comparable quality.

Quote:
I notice that these fuse taps are now on Amazon.in as well, so you can consider something like this one: http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01AG94SAM/

It won't come with a fuse, so you'll have to purchase one separately, or use one of the spare fuses that are in the lid of the fusebox.
Thanks for the Amazon India links, they look pretty similar to the AE ones. I want to buy at least 3 of them to - 1. Power the dashcam, 2. Fit another 12v socket and 3. Install footwell lights.

Since I am not in a rush, I am thinking of buying from AE or even GB. Would work out cheaper.
Old 2nd October 2016, 16:28   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Since I am not in a rush, I am thinking of buying from AE or even GB. Would work out cheaper.
AliExpress is what I prefer over GearBest anyday.

Please select HongKong Post of possible. Comes faster and is reliable. Here's a link to the item:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/326571...e=600#autostay
Old 10th November 2016, 18:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

I just got my car DVR that I had ordered from Aliexpress. My last order was not delivered, and hence I was not sure if this would be delivered, so did not order the other accessories (Fuse Tap, Hardwire Kit, spare Fuse or the memory card)

Now that I have the car DVR, how do I go about procuring the other products quickly and without burning a hole in my pocket? I am a novice with DYI and have done very few on my own so far, so will it make sense to take it to a accessories shop and get it installed with them? How much would this cost? Experts, please suggest.
Old 10th November 2016, 18:24   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
(Fuse Tap, Hardwire Kit, spare Fuse or the memory card). Now that I have the car DVR, how do I go about procuring the other products quickly and without burning a hole in my pocket?
It is pretty much as simple as opening Amazon India's website and searching for the terms to find the relevant items. You can equally search your preferred online shopping portal, but I've listed the relevant Amazon.in links below:
Before you get excited and start ordering, you need to determine the size of the fuse your car uses, so you can buy the appropriate fuse tap and fuse (the hardwire kit and memory card don't depend on the type of fuse used). If you mention your car's brand, people might be able to suggest the size of fuse. Otherwise, you can look at the owner's manual, or check the fuse cover, or physically inspect a fuse in your car to compare it to one of the pictures shown earlier in this thread.

Once you've got that size confirmed, you can then order the appropriate fuse tap and spare fuse.

Quote:
I am a novice with DYI and have done very few on my own so far, so will it make sense to take it to a accessories shop and get it installed with them? How much would this cost? Experts, please suggest.
Based on the accessibility of the fuse box in your car, performing a DIY should be extremely easy or moderately easy. However, if you're not comfortable, then yes, you can ask an accessories installer to assist you.
Old 14th November 2016, 17:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before you get excited and start ordering, you need to determine the size of the fuse your car uses, so you can buy the appropriate fuse tap and fuse (the hardwire kit and memory card don't depend on the type of fuse used). If you mention your car's brand, people might be able to suggest the size of fuse. Otherwise, you can look at the owner's manual, or check the fuse cover, or physically inspect a fuse in your car to compare it to one of the pictures shown earlier in this thread.

Thanks Arun, the car in question is a Swift Dzire VDi, 2013 model. What size fuse and fuse tap should I be ordering?

I am a noob in terms of car electronics and hence a little skeptical.
Old 14th November 2016, 17:17   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arun, the car in question is a Swift Dzire VDi, 2013 model. What size fuse and fuse tap should I be ordering?
Swift Dzire uses Mini - So please order for Mini Fuse Taps.

You can also look at Anurag's thread with the process that should be identical for your Swift:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...sh-camera.html
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 17:23   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Swift uses low-profile mini fuses, which look like this (ignore the colour, just look at the shape):
Name:  Low Profile Mini Fuse.gif
Views: 1664
Size:  6.5 KB

For the fuse tap, this is a low-profile mini fuse tap on Amazon.in, and equivalent fuses are also available on Amazon.in. Rather than getting an entire box of fuses, you could equally just get a single 2A or 5A fuse (again, in the low-profile mini size) from a local car parts shop, or from a Maruti service centre.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
The Swift uses low-profile mini fuses, which look like this (ignore the colour, just look at the shape):
Sirji,

On my first gen swift, the profile is Mini, and not the low profile.

Recently got the dashcam installed using the mini fuse tap and mini fuses.

Hope this helps
lambuhere1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:59   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
On my first gen swift, the profile is Mini, and not the low profile.
Thank you for pointing this out - which year is your Swift?

I remember a4anurag has a 2013 Swift (same as dass), and he used the low-profile mini fuses, as shown in this photo.

It would definitely be a surprise to see if Maruti have changed the fuse size between revisions of the Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Arun, it's Mini. My 2006 Wagon and 2013 Ertiga both have mini. And I really doubt if Swift uses low profile.
I too first assumed that it was a regular mini, and not low-profile. But when I checked a4anurag's thread (the same one you linked to above), I was surprised to see the low-profile kit being used. As an aside, interesting to note your 2013 Ertiga has a regular height mini fuse!

Best to check with Anurag himself as an owner of a Swift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Fuse tap cable and a Set of fuses (Different Rating)
Attachment 1496266
Anurag - does a 2013 Swift/Swift Dzire use low-profile fuses, or normal height ATM/mini fuses? We're having a bit of confusion over here

Last edited by arunphilip : 15th November 2016 at 10:27.
Old 15th November 2016, 10:15   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It would definitely be a surprise to see if Maruti have changed the fuse size between revisions of the Swift.
Arun, it's Mini. My 2006 Wagon and 2013 Ertiga both have mini.

And I really doubt if Swift uses low profile and if that is so, it's indeed a new learning for me.

EDIT: Adding few pictures of the Fuse Taps that I have installed.

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-20161115_102853.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-20161115_102904.jpg

If I compare these fuse taps to what Anurag has posted in his DIY threads, especially this one (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-tap-cable.png) It leaves me with 2 impressions:

1. That Swift uses Low Profile Fuses

2. That Swift uses Mini Fuses but Anurag has been using low profile??

I say that because I noticed he has mentioned the same even in the Tachometer installation thread for WagonR and A-Star that they use Low-Profile fuses.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-star-lxi.html

But In the same thread, I also look at this picture of his where it clearly shows the fuse (Rather the Tap) used is Mini (and not low profile):

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-5.-other-socket-connected-power-earth-backlight-connection.jpg
(pic from Anurag's DIY installation and the URL: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...connection.jpg)

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th November 2016 at 10:44.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks