Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 14:24   #76
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Anurag - does a 2013 Swift/Swift Dzire use low-profile fuses, or normal height ATM/mini fuses? We're having a bit of confusion over here
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
from Anurag's DIY installation
Hi Arun and Parag,

The Swift uses Low profile ATM fuse. Here are the pics of the fuse.

Name:  ForumRunner_20161115_142356.png
Views: 5455
Size:  370.5 KB

EDIT

Quote:
I say that because I noticed he has mentioned the same even in the Tachometer installation thread for WagonR and A-Star that they use Low-Profile fuses
Hey,

The 2003 WagonR LXi uses a mini type fuse whereas A-Star uses a low profile ATM fuse.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th November 2016 at 14:38.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 14:48   #77
BHPian

Re: DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam

Quote:
Thank you for pointing this out - which year is your Swift?
First gen 2007.

Now this creates a confusion.

Can we use Low profile fuses tap within Mini Profile slots or vice versa ?

Any consequences which we foresee ? Not sure though.

Confident that 2007 swift is Mini profile as I had to replace a fuse for my 12 V cigarette lighter socket which got kaput.
Old 15th November 2016, 15:56   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Can we use Low profile fuses tap within Mini Profile slots or vice versa ?
IMO it is not possible.

Look at the below images:

Low-profile Mini type
DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-low-profile-mini.jpg

Mini Type
DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-mini-fuse.jpg

Types of Fuses
Name:  Electrical_fuses_blade_type.svg.png
Views: 5220
Size:  44.6 KB

Approximate dimensions
DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-product_image_113_8_21_9_54_48.jpg

Source: Google and AliExpress.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 15:58   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The Swift uses Low profile ATM fuse. Here are the pics of the fuse.
Thanks for the clarification Anurag and I must admit it was me who was confused more here than anyone else here and to tell you the fact, Ertiga also uses Low Profile type fuse as I just found out - This confirms the fact that Swift/Dzire/Ertiga all use the same fuse type.

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-ab0575de8e894fe2b6a620d238487243.jpg

One of the reasons of not being aware of this in case of Ertiga is that I had never faced an issue where any fuse gave away that I never had to remove or replace any fuse - BUT, a Mini Fuse Tap easily slotted into that low profile slot and that's exactly where it made me think that way.

Secondly, thinking that Maruti ends up using similar parts, I also assumed from my 2nd Gen WagonR (2006) that Ertiga too will have Mini Type fuse and had ended up ordering Mini Fuse Taps.

Then, I recall how Old Swift/Dzire use mini when I had lent spare fuse to one of the my colleagues when his accessories fuse had blown out.

So this clears all the confusion now.
  • Old Swift/Dzire - Mini
  • New Swift/Dzire/SX4/Ertiga/Celerio - Mini Low Profile

Quote:
The 2003 WagonR LXi uses a mini type fuse whereas A-Star uses a low profile ATM fuse.
Can't go wrong with the WagonR there as I have many ended up replacing blown fuses when I was in the middle of some jugaad few years back .

Thanks again!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Can we use Low profile fuses tap within Mini Profile slots
Not possible
Quote:
or vice versa ?
Certainly possible.

I say this with confidence now because only few minutes back I pulled out the fuse tap from the Ertiga which is Mini and pushed it back in completely. It means A Mini Fuse or a Fuse Tap in Micro slot is possible.

Quote:
Any consequences which we foresee ? Not sure though.
I really don't think so.

Quote:
Confident that 2007 swift is Mini profile as I had to replace a fuse for my 12 V cigarette lighter socket which got kaput.
This I am also confident as I have replaced one in first gen Dzire from my spare fuses of WagonR.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th November 2016 at 16:10.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 16:11   #80
BANNED

Quote:
I just found out - This confirms the fact that Swift/Dzire/Ertiga all use the same fuse type.
Exactly. Maruti cannot be so intelligent and pain-taking manufacturer to use different parts for different cars and the Swift/Ertiga and Dzire are similar in many ways.

There is a lot of part sharing so using different parts will eventually increase their costs which they will NOT do in any case.

Initially I was surprised when you posted that Ertiga too uses Mini type fuse whereas in the back of my mind it was low profile mini but I couldn't challenge you on anything regarding the WagonR and Ertiga, you are the copyright for these cars!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 16:17   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Initially I was surprised when you posted that Ertiga too uses Mini type fuse whereas in the back of my mind it was low profile mini but I couldn't challenge you on anything regarding the WagonR and Ertiga, you are the copyright for these cars!
LOL, no copyright man! It's a good learning.

As I said In case of WagonR I was more confident due to few instances of blown fuses, mainly the 12v socket but in Ertiga blown fuse was never a case.

What really boosted my confidence (wrongly though) is when I realised that I use mini fuse tap in Ertiga and that slots in without hesitation so the fuse also should be mini :-).
Old 15th November 2016, 16:20   #82
BANNED

Quote:
What really boosted my confidence (wrongly though) is when I realised that I use mini fuse tap in Ertiga and that slots in without hesitation so the fuse also should be mini.
Ya but it would not have been possible the other way!

A low profile mini will not slot in a mini type fuse holder.
Old 15th November 2016, 16:36   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ya but it would not have been possible the other way!

A low profile mini will not slot in a mini type fuse holder.
And that is exactly what I said. A fuse tap slotting in precisely well also means a fuse itself will - That itself is a misleading hint and I already mentioned it here, twice!
Old 15th November 2016, 16:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arun, another question and sorry for so many. Will this fit the GT300?

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00MH4ZVHO/r...oding=UTF8&me=

Are mini USB and Micro USB the same?

I am exactly at the stage where the cost of the accessories are much more than the cost of the camera
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag
!

You experience folks, I tell you are hell bent on making a complex (for me) install more complicated, isn't it? I was telling this to Parag on the other thread that for some of us, opening up the fuse box in itself is a great accomplishment

Now, to summarize what you guys have been speaking about, i have ordered this fuse tap (http://www.amazon.in/Generic-Circuit...ilpage_o00_s00) do let me know if this is correct. After this, I am thinking of ordering the hardwire kit I mentioned above to Arun. Then I will probably use one of the spare fuses in the fuse box or get one from the service center across the road. what am i missing?

My car is a 2013 Dzire (removed the swift intentionally) VDI.

Last edited by dass : 15th November 2016 at 16:56.
Old 15th November 2016, 16:57   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Now, to summarize what you guys have been speaking about, i have ordered this fuse tap (http://www.amazon.in/Generic-Circuit...ilpage_o00_s00) do let me know if this is correct. After this, I am thinking of ordering the hardwire kit I mentioned above to Arun. Then I will probably use one of the spare fuses in the fuse box or get one from the service center across the road. what am i missing?

My car is a 2013 Dzire (removed the swift intentionally) VDI.
Just checked and it looks like the Low Profile Fuse Tap and for your 2013 Dzire, this will do.

Apart from that the Hardwiring Kit will suffice.

Does the fuse tap you are ordering also come with 2 additional fuses? If not, may be buy them locally.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 16:58   #86
BANNED

Quote:
I have ordered this fuse tap
It is the right type of fuse tap cable buddy. Go ahead.

Quote:
After this, I am thinking of ordering the hardwire kit I mentioned above to Arun.
Get it too. I hope the connector pin that plugs into the dashcam is same as seen in the picture of the hardwiring kit.

Look at the below link in case you are interested:

http://www.amazon.in/Profile-Micro-Blade-Assortment-Truck/dp/B01LMRCAH0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479209253&sr =1-1&keywords=low+profile+fuse
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 17:01   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

It is possible to fit a mini fuse tap in a low profile socket. I had been doing that in my cars. Between the mini and low profile mini only the fusible joint will be located differently, but the pins are of the same size and hence, doesnt make a difference. However, as mentioned here, fitting a low profile fuse tap in a mini socket is not possible.

Quote:
Maruti cannot be so intelligent and pain-taking manufacturer to use different parts for different cars and the Swift/Ertiga and Dzire are similar in many ways.

There is a lot of part sharing so using different parts will eventually increase their costs which they will NOT do in any case.
Maruti needn't be intelligent to make a uniform part/design and stuff to save costs. Its left to the vendor in such cases. When there was a confusion about the size, I believed both theories, since it is not a difficult job to make a change with such parts. They can be done mid life, without a facelift. Hence, I believed Parags car would have been different from Anurags.

The BCM as a whole is supplied by a vendor. This will include the fuses inside it. Since it is fitted as a whole into the car during assembly, the type of fuse doesnt matter, as long as the BCM is itself designed for it. Now since both are in the hands of a vendor, he could revise the design, inform Maruti, or vice versa and the new batch of parts would have the revised design. As long as the mounting points and the connector is the same, whats inside the BCM doesnt matter.

Quote:

I am exactly at the stage where the cost of the accessories are much more than the cost of the camera
You could have simply ripped open the provided power supply with the dashcam, and soldered the fuse tap and an earthing cable into the two wires connected to the socket end(not the output) and saved 1600 bucks. When you open the provided adapter, you will two contacts that is at the end of the tube connected to wires which will provide 12V to the adapter. You just have to remove the contacts and solder a fuse tap and a small length of wire for grounding. Its useless to spend so much on that hardwiring kit which serves no additional purpose. The hardwire kit does the same.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th November 2016 at 17:10.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 17:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You could have simply ripped open the provided power supply with the dashcam, and soldered the fuse tap and an earthing cable into the two wires connected to the socket end(not the output) and saved 1600 bucks. Its useless to spend so much on that hardwiring kit which serves no additional purpose.
This thought did cross my mind, however I was not sure if this was possible. all I have to do is cut out the cigarette charge point on the hard wire kit and solder the fuse tap and the earthing point? I am yet to order the hardwire kit and if option is good, I will do this since that cable is pretty much useless if I order a separate hardwire kit.

will the local electrical shop have these heat shrinking tubes?
Old 15th November 2016, 19:44   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
all I have to do is cut out the cigarette charge point on the hard wire kit and solder the fuse tap and the earthing point? I am yet to order the hardwire kit and if option is good

will the local electrical shop have these heat shrinking tubes?
Yes for the first one, and maybe for if they would have heat shrink tube. If you get the soldering done directly onto the PCB of the power supply, you dont need a heat shrink. That is what I have done for my car.
Old 4th January 2017, 08:00   #90
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to hardwire my Dashcam and a couple of additional accessory sockets in the cabin, and a DRL from the engine compartment. Before I start, I need a few clarifications.

First, here are the photos and fuse schematics of the Aspire:

Passenger Compartment Fuse Box

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-1.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-2.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-3.jpg

Engine Compartment Fuse Box

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-4.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-5.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-6.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-7.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-8.jpg

Battery Fuse Box

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-9.jpg

The Fuses

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-10.jpg

Now for my questions:
1) What size are these fuses? Mini?
2) Can/How do I tap the 3 pronged fuses?
3) Which fuses can I use safely in each box?
4) What amp fuse to use for the accessory socket?
5) What amp fuse to use for the DRL?
6) 5A for the Dashcam, right?

I'm new at this, so want to clear on the theory before practical implementation

Sam

Last edited by Aditya : 5th January 2017 at 07:58. Reason: Correcting image orientation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks