Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 09:08   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
1) What size are these fuses? Mini?
2) Can/How do I tap the 3 pronged fuses?
3) Which fuses can I use safely in each box?
4) What amp fuse to use for the accessory socket?
5) What amp fuse to use for the DRL?
6) 5A for the Dashcam, right?
Those fuses look to be more like Micro2 and Micro3 fuses (with 2 and 3 prongs respectively), since the mini ones have prominently tapered prongs, although the angle of the photo might be misleading. See this Wikipedia image for an illustration:
Name:  Electrical_fuses_blade_type.svg.gif
Views: 3018
Size:  36.2 KB

The Wikipedia page on car fuses gives the sizes of different fuses, so you could measure them to confirm:
Name:  dimensions.gif
Views: 2657
Size:  38.0 KB

Alternatively, you could ask Ford service to confirm the type of fuse, and compare it against what is used in the EcoSport (the EcoSport uses mini fuses).

Use the passenger compartment fuse box to wire the dashcam and 12V accessory sockets (since these sit in the passenger compartment, you don't have to run wires through the firewall), and the engine compartment fuse box for the DRLs. Don't use the battery fuse box for any additions at all, since its a high-current fuse box with specific & core uses (starter, ECU, etc.). I'm not sure if the 3-prong fuse sockets can be tapped, and all the fuse taps I've seen are the 2-pronged variety.

I'm not sure what fuse the DRL will require, but the DRL installation instructions should specify it. For the 12V accessory socket, your Aspire uses 20A fuses for the built-in socket (see fuse #6 in the engine compartment). You might wish to go in for a lower rated fuse to prevent excessive draw from the passenger compartment fuse box, but sized to give you enough power for your accessories. For instance, a 10A fuse will itself give 120W of DC power. If you're planning on using the accessory socket to power electronics (phone/tablet chargers, etc. or anything that uses a USB interface) then 5A to 10A should suffice. However, if you're using electrical items like a car cooler, then check its instructions to see its power draw and size the fuse accordingly.

For the dashcam, fit the smallest capacity fuse (e.g. 2A or 5A) you can lay your hands on. Realistically, a dashcam will draw under 1A of current from the fuse box (since even 1A at the fuse box is 12W of power). Therefore, ensure that the dashcam kit you install (to convert the car's 12V DC to the required 5V DC) has an inline fuse.

The Garmin hardwire kit that I use has an inline fuse in the cylindrical container on the red wire. As an aside, on the topic of fuse sizing, note that this hard-wiring kit supplies just 0.5A current at 5V DC (i.e. 2.5W power) at its output, which means the power draw at the fuse box is roughly 0.3A even factoring in DC-DC conversion losses. It just goes to show how any fuse that we install to tap power for a dashcam is grossly oversized, which highlights the importance of an appropriately sized inline fuse.
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 09:22   #92
BHPian

I am using mini805 dashcam which is currently powered through 12V power socket. Recently i have purchased hardwire kit from aliexpress and now i want to connect it to my dashcam. I do not know anything about this and would like to know if anyone can help me in doing this DYI job.
Old 4th January 2017, 09:44   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Those fuses look to be more like Micro2 and Micro3 fuses (with 2 and 3 prongs respectively), since the mini ones have prominently tapered prongs, although the angle of the photo might be misleading.
I will measure them again, but I think they are micro2 and micro3. In this case what type/size Fuse tap should I order?
Old 4th January 2017, 09:53   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will measure them again, but I think they are micro2 and micro3. In this case what type/size Fuse tap should I order?
If it is definitely a Micro2 fuse, then you'd need to look for Micro2 fuse taps or ATR fuse taps (ATR is the name of the blade style). For instance, a quick search on Amazon.com gives this Lumision Micro2 fuse tap, and AliExpress also has a lot of choices.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:14   #95
BHPian

Quote:
If it is definitely a Micro2 fuse, then you'd need to look for Micro2 fuse taps or ATR fuse taps (ATR is the name of the blade style). For instance, a quick search on Amazon.com gives this Lumision Micro2 fuse tap, and AliExpress also has a lot of choices.
Amazon India has this. I have ordered it last week to fix a accessory socket in my Nano. I should receive the package in another 2 weeks...
shifu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 11:20   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Amazon India has this. I have ordered it last week to fix a accessory socket in my Nano. I should receive the package in another 2 weeks...
Unfortunately, that is an APM/ATM size, which is the mini fuse, and not the Micro2 (ATR) fuse size that Samarth needs :-(
Old 4th January 2017, 11:24   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is an APM/ATM size, which is the mini fuse, and not the Micro2 (ATR) fuse size that Samarth needs :-(
Oops. My bad!This is the link to the micro fuse...
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 20:46   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Oops. My bad!This is the link to the micro fuse...
Don't think so. That's for low profile fuses. Mine is full length.
Old 5th January 2017, 00:11   #99
BANNED

Quote:
1) What size are these fuses? Mini?
Micro2 (ATR) Fuse Tap Cable

https://www.amazon.com/Lumision-SHIP.../dp/B00OZFNJI6

Micro3 (ATL) Cable

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/ca....html?limit=45

Quote:
2) Can/How do I tap the 3 pronged fuses?
See the above link if useful for tapping the Micro3 fuse.

Quote:
3) Which fuses can I use safely in each box?
ONLY use the ones in the passenger compartment. Don't go to anything else for dashcam, DRL.

Quote:
4) What amp fuse to use for the accessory socket?
Four empty slots (Read 'Not Used') are there for you to use. No. 14, 20, 21 (Micro2) and No. 20 (Micro3).

Procuring a Micro2 fuse tap cable seems slightly easier, for your Dashcam, DRL and additional accessory socket, you can draw power from the three unused slots of Micro2.

Quote:
5) What amp fuse to use for the DRL?
I remember adding 5A

Quote:
6) 5A for the Dashcam, right?
Yes 5A is sufficient.

Quote:
Those fuses look to be more like Micro2 and Micro3 fuses (with 2 and 3 prongs respectively).
These type fuses are less used IMO. Very difficult to get the fuse tap cable for the Micro2 and Micro3 ones at sensible prices.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th January 2017 at 00:20.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 01:28   #100
Senior - BHPian

Confirmation that the fuses in the Ford Aspire are Micro2.

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-20170105_002104.jpg

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-20170105_002123.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Four empty slots (Read 'Not Used') are there for you to use. No. 14, 20, 21 (Micro2) and No. 20 (Micro3).
Why do the "Not Used" slots have fuses in them?

If I can use the 4 four empty slots, why do I need a fuse tap. Why not something like this?

DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-accelevision6275pt75ampmicro2pigtailfuse04.jpg

(From your link)

Last edited by samaspire : 5th January 2017 at 01:40. Reason: Adding reply
Old 5th January 2017, 06:18   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Confirmation that the fuses in the Ford Aspire are Micro2.
1 of the "Not Used" is Micro3. Rest three are Micro2.

Quote:
Why do the "Not Used" slots have fuses in them?
Not sure why. Can you just check if these "Not Used" fuses have power connections (wired). Can you use a 12V tester to check?!

Quote:
If I can use the 4 four empty slots, why do I need a fuse tap. Why not something like this?
You can use it but I am not sure if how safe these things are. Quality matters IMO.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 08:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not sure why. Can you just check if these "Not Used" fuses have power connections (wired). Can you use a 12V tester to check?!
I will have to order even the 12V tester online - not able to find a proper one in my town.

One doubt regarding that:
From what I can see, the contact points for the fuse are deep inside the fuse box, accessible only to blade tip of the fuse. Would a tester reach in that far?
Old 5th January 2017, 09:03   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Juggads work, but not for ever.

Assuming the wire is soldered to the input side of fuse, your circuit will be running without a fuse at all (works even with the blown fuse)
or
if the wire is soldered to the output side, you should repeat the job of soldering every time the fuse is blown (or replaced)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 10:00   #104
BANNED

Quote:
From what I can see, the contact points for the fuse are deep inside the fuse box, accessible only to blade tip of the fuse. Would a tester reach in that far?
A 12V tester pen would reach the inside of the fuse.

Name:  ForumRunner_20170105_095923.png
Views: 2420
Size:  824.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20170105_100010.png
Views: 2465
Size:  658.1 KB
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 16:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Test the Fuse Socket
For this step, you'll need an automotive tester. I used this Draper Low-Voltage Tester.
Attachment 1405239
Quote:
I will have to order even the 12V tester online - not able to find a proper one in my town.
Can't I use a multi-meter instead of this tester?
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed