Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2018, 19:31   #136
BHPian

Re: DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam

Folks,

Please take a look at this interesting gadget which could be an easy alternative to hard wiring from fuse box. There are variations of this device with just ON/OFF switch, different connector types etc.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/REARMASTER-Un...=OBD2+acc+mode

I have pasted details in dashcam thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post4347277
maverickmano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 07:01   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
Folks,

Please take a look at this interesting gadget which could be an easy alternative to hard wiring from fuse box. There are variations of this device with just ON/OFF switch, different connector types etc.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/REARMASTER-Un...=OBD2+acc+mode

I have pasted details in dashcam thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post4347277
Thanks for this.
It's also available on AliExpress for prices starting from just under Rs.300/-

http://s.aliexpress.com/FjmeAriI?fromSns

Just search for "obd power cable"
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 12:35   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Be informed that device at above link will supply continuous power even after car is switched off. It will shut off when car battery reaches 11.6V, other than that there is no control on it.

Please look at one below which comes with a switch but every time you should remember to switch it on or off. Because of this I chose the one with ACC mode.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OBDI...ceBeautifyAB=1
maverickmano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 20:07   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That's a clean DIY Arun .

For the Ertiga too I thought of hardwiring but then I got a neat location to add another 12V socket that almost looked OE where I have plugged the Dashcam's charger almost permanently while I use the other 2 sockets for charging multiple devices on the go.
It would be wonderful if you can pls. post a pic of the Dashcam charger if you don't mind. Am planning to setup a cam

Regards
Old 30th April 2018, 11:48   #140
BHPian

Excuse my questions below as I am a Non-engineer

I have finally gathered myself and will do the DIY installations of Viofo's on 2 of my Honda's.

I have yet to buy a Tester.

Question no. 1: Is the tester universal to check for a 12V Car current and 240 V house current?

I have used the OP's picture to ask a few more questions.

No.2 in the picture where the hardwire kit's wire will enter the fusetap, I am planning to use a clamp to press the metal joiner, rather than purchase a Crimper/Press. Is it sufficient that the ends of both wires touch each other internally? The part below the heat shrink tubing ( shown in blue) is metal anyways, which I suppose will also act as a conductor.

No. 1 is where I put in the additionally purchased fuse. Before buying a fuse a few more questions.

I am going to use a 5 A socket on the fuse box. Should the additional fuse I purchase, be of 5A rating or more or less? Do these fuses too have a + & - side or are they multi-directional and can be inserted anyways?

Second question, one side of the socket will have continuous power while the other side doesn't, is that right? If yes, in which direction is the fuse tap inserted? How is that determined?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam-dashcam1.jpg  

Last edited by riteshritesh : 30th April 2018 at 11:52.
Old 30th April 2018, 12:19   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Excuse my questions below as I am a Non-engineer

I have finally gathered myself and will do the DIY installations of Viofo's on 2 of my Honda's.

I have yet to buy a Tester.

Question no. 1: Is the tester universal to check for a 12V Car current and 240 V house current?

I have used the OP's picture to ask a few more questions.

No.2 in the picture where the hardwire kit's wire will enter the fusetap, I am planning to use a clamp to press the metal joiner, rather than purchase a Crimper/Press. Is it sufficient that the ends of both wires touch each other internally? The part below the heat shrink tubing ( shown in blue) is metal anyways, which I suppose will also act as a conductor.
A domestic "tester" would not suffice. You would need a multimeter.

Never have wires loosely connected. Ensure that they are properly crimped and insulated. You risk massive electrical issues if not done properly.

Given the questions that you have asked, I would suggest that you get this done by a professional.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 12:41   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post

Given the questions that you have asked, I would suggest that you get this done by a professional.
When a DIY is undertaken, it is done considering the risks.

Last edited by navin : 30th April 2018 at 15:55. Reason: toned down post.
Old 30th April 2018, 12:55   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When a DIY is undertaken, it is done considering the risks
What if an improperly done DIY leads to the car catching fire with one or more people in it? Depending on where and how it occurs, vehicles can catch fire within minutes or even seconds giving precious little time for panicking occupants to make an exit.

Electrical wiring should not be done without prior knowledge, skills and tools. Please don't take a risk. Is there something that stops you from taking the car(s) to a skilled auto electrician?

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2018 at 22:39. Reason: Quoted post edited, hence...
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 13:07   #144
BHPian

To re-iterate my post, I had a few questions. I would be glad if someone answers them directly. I am aware of the 'what-ifs' and I am mentally sound and literate to take those precautions. If I was of the type to get it done from an 'installer', I wouldn't have posted here and wasted everyone's time, no?
Sorry, if my answers have been curt, but the replies till now are absolutely not helpful in any way and sound discouraging in a post titled ' DIY: Hardwiring your dashcam' .
Old 30th April 2018, 13:13   #145
BHPian

Quote:
To re-iterate my post, I had a few questions. I would be glad if someone answers them directly. I am aware of the 'what-ifs' and I am mentally sound and literate to take those precautions. If I was of the type to get it done from an 'installer', I wouldn't have posted here and wasted everyone's time, no?
Sorry, if my answers have been curt, but the replies till now are absolutely not helpful in any way and sound discouraging in a post titled ' DIY: Hardwiring your dashcam' .
I am not sure where my 2 responses were not helpful. Let me reword them.

1. You need a multimeter and not a tester
2. You need to crimp/fix firmly with a bolt/nut, screw etc and not just make a superficial contact.

My third statement was a word of caution, with a emoticon that I am stupid to say that in this forum.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 13:23   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Being equally curt let me tell you that it not discouragement but cautionary advice because an improperly done installation can be dangerous to life and property. But you don't seem to get it.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 13:25   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post

1. You need a multimeter and not a tester
2. You need to crimp/fix firmly with a bolt/nut, screw etc and not just make a superficial contact.

I need to check if the current is flowing or not, and not measure the current flowing, hence the requirement of a tester and hence my question if a domestic tester and car current tester are the same.

If you have seen the hardwire kit, it is pretty much like a lego fit. All I need to do is insert the open wire in the fuse tap, press the rounded metal clamp, which is already covered with a heatshrink sleeve ( that I will shrink with a heat gun that I posses) and I am good to go. There is no twisting of wire, nutting/bolting or insulating required. It is all pre-installed.
Old 30th April 2018, 14:22   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Being equally curt let me tell you that it not discouragement but cautionary advice because an improperly done installation can be dangerous to life and property. But you don't seem to get it.
Apologies, my friend, for talking you off and not understanding your concerns. I thought over it and realised that as you aren't aware of my skill sets , it was a 'but natural' response and I was only looking at finding "my" answers

Now to answer your question regarding 'why not from an installer', Arunphilip's post itself answer those question.

Post #1

Time taken: 30-60 minutes
DIY experience level: Beginner

Post # 6

I am not a hands-on guy, but with the right tools and knowledge found this to be a cakewalk. Hence I'm paying it forward with this thread.

There is an advantage, and a risk, to performing this (or any other) DIY:
  • The advantage: you will feel proud about a job well done, to your satisfaction and exacting standards
  • The risk: you will never trust any shop/mechanic to do as passionate a job as yourself in future - be it for fixing ICE, or anything else. But therein lies the opportunity for future DIYs
Old 30th April 2018, 14:41   #149
BHPian

Quote:
I need to check if the current is flowing or not, and not measure the current flowing, hence the requirement of a tester and hence my question if a domestic tester and car current tester are the same.
They are not the same. Otherwise the kind gentleman, who reiterated that you need a multi-meter not a tester, wouldn't have done so despite your endearing humility in requesting for help. A domestic tester is designed to work in an AC circuit, while your car runs a DC circuit.
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 15:00   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
They are not the same. A domestic tester is designed to work in an AC circuit, while your car runs a DC circuit.
Ahem..getting back at my humility .

Arunphilip hasn't used a multimeter in his post, so I knew that wasn't the correct answer. And to use a multimeter, one needs to know how to use one, which I currently don't know.
And my bad in not reading the original post correctly. He does mention an automotive tester ( Draper) with crocodile clips, so once again sorry for wasting time and flaring tempers here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks