Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Old 24th May 2020, 06:55   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb11 View Post
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum, however do read up and follow the thread and articles put up since quite some time.

I have a question.. I have a Polo 2016 model and it has been 4 years since the purchase. Primarily the car was used by me for driving in the city. Though I felt the headlights were inadequate even then it was still manageable. Even since a few months I have been doing highway drive of 180 kms in the night to get back home from work during the weekends.

My question is:

What headlights are the best in terms of performance?

HID/LEDs or HID/halogen or HID/LEDs combinations for night driving on the highway.

The car probably will be with me for another two years so wouldn’t want to spend too much on the headlights.
I am guessing you are planning to just replace the bubs in the same headlight assembly. I would suggest you stay away from HIDs as HIDs in a halogen reflector will just scatter light everywhere. You will get no benefit out of this setup, but will end up glaring oncoming traffic.

I have heard LED replacement bulbs have a better light spread in illuminating and less glare. But I have not tried this.

If you are not willing to make any major changes to the headlights, I think the best would be to get better halogen bulbs or even the 100W setup with relay.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:38. Reason: Formatting quoted post
Old 24th May 2020, 07:51   #137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Default Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

What if I install/fit a HID projector for the low beam with a 35W HID ballast and use DS2 HID bulbs? Keep the high beam to the halogen unit, however change the bulb.

Will this work?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:41. Reason: Spacing
Old 24th May 2020, 10:40   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What if I install/fit a HID projector for the low beam with a 35W HID ballast and use DS2 HID bulbs? Keep the high beam to the halogen unit, however change the bulb.

Will this work?
Yes. A projector will work best for HID. And you could definitely use a projector for low beam and halogen for high beam. Or go with a quality BiXenon setup. But make sure you get a reputed installer.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:41. Reason: Formatting quoted post
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 21:20   #139
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thank you..
Could you suggest some good HID projector 35W H7 4300k just for the Low beam. The accessories shop does not have morimoto projectors. I donít wish to install a Bi-xenon just yet looking at the cost of a good one. I would like to keep using the Halogens for the high beam because J hardly use them while driving other than the pass options on the Highway/roads.
The shop guy also mentioned and suggested about just using Osram H7 35W 4300k HIDs with the reflector settings.. Is that a viable option? Wonít that impede the vision of the oncoming traffic?
Old 24th May 2020, 22:15   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The shop guy also mentioned and suggested about just using Osram H7 35W 4300k HIDs with the reflector settings.. Is that a viable option? Wonít that impede the vision of the oncoming traffic?
Please don't do it. The installer will recommend hundred things because he wants the sale to happen. No HID's with reflectors.

You can buy a Bi-xenon projector and not connect the wires of the high beam so when you flick the switch, the projectors will remain in low beam and the halogen in the reflector barrel will light up.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 22:15   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
I don’t have much knowledge about projector setup for low beam. My knowledge is limited to BiXenons for which Morimoto is the best option. Maybe others may have some info about this.

Please do not go with HID in the halogen reflector. It will not give you any advantage as the light will just scatter all over. And it will glare oncoming traffic.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed