Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2020, 18:11   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY Install: 3" XP Micro Bi-Xenon Foglight Projectors on my Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbhavesh View Post
Have you come across any ideas to cover the connectors (like H4/H8/H11 etc.)?
I found few 15mm heat shrink tubes but as those tubes shrink 2:1, I don't think we can put it over big connectors like H4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've used waterproof self adhesive rubber tape used in submersible pumps to seal all electrical points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
I used Anabond paste where the wire enters the tap and a electrical tape over it. I have been using it since the post went live and it has been about 3 years now. I have driven through heavy rains and washed the engine bay several times. The XPs continue to work without issues.
Sorry for going slightly off topic here and for what may appear to be a naive question, but why is there a need to cover / seal all electrical points or joints during a projector HID installation? The couplers / connectors in these kits are quite good quality and have water proofing built in washers inside the housings.
Old 28th April 2020, 19:07   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Sorry for going slightly off-topic here and for what may appear to be a naive question, but why is there a need to cover/seal all electrical points or joints during a projector HID installation? The couplers/connectors in these kits are quite good quality and have waterproofing built-in washers inside the housings.
Extra precaution just to be sure that the connection shall be reliable and not go bust in the need of the hour.

Wrapping it with tape or anything etc shall protect the wiring and the equipment that is connected to it if there is a short when washing the engine bay using a pressure washer.

To give a small example, when BHPian Sudeepg had got the XP Micro installation done through their local installer, lots of complaints related to work quality and wiring were raised. To solve this he had to do everything himself to save his car and the electricals. Also when he did the DIY Morimoto retrofit in his S-Cross, all precautions were taken well ahead of the install including proper wiring connectors and methods to be on the safer side.
Old 28th April 2020, 19:19   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you come across any ideas to cover the connectors (like H4/H8/H11 etc.)?

Do think any of the ideas has any chance to be successful and practical??
These connectors are made for surviving heat, water, vibration and what not. There is no danger in leaving them exposed. H8/H11 connectors are waterproof by design when connected. When left open, they are not waterproof, but as long as there is no slush splashed on them, they will work fine. Only if the fender lining or surrounding part is damaged, muddy water can clog the connector. As long as that isnt the case, you dont have to worry much. Its like cracking a nut with a jackhammer

Quote:
Sorry for going slightly off topic here and for what may appear to be a naive question, but why is there a need to cover / seal all electrical points or joints during a projector HID installation? The couplers / connectors in these kits are quite good quality and have water proofing built in washers inside the housings.
True. These connectors dont need any extra effort for waterproofing unless you want to dip them in water. When you are using coupler to coupler connection, even if water seeps into the contact part, it will just dry off in some time and wont cause any issue. The electrical contacts are usually made non corrosive. Especially what comes from the factory. Else you would have found a truck load of insulation material around all the connectors in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Wrapping it with tape or anything etc shall protect the wiring and the equipment that is connected to it if there is a short when washing the engine bay using a pressure washer.
Sorry, it doesnt work that way. Firstly, by washing an electrical connector, it wont create a short unless like I mentioned you submerge the connector or purposely flush it down with water. Second, if you really want to make it 100% waterproof, you should be using such a sealant that will make a permanent bond and wont allow you to remove it. Things like bond, tape etc can create small channels through which water can seep in and can stay there, causing more of an issue compared to leaving the connector exposed and well ventilated.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th April 2020 at 19:21.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 10:35   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Won't the glue of the tape will cause corrosive effecr in long term?
Hasn't happened since over 1 year with respect to fog lamps. Although I don't have a picture of it covered right now. Will post it when I open up the bumper.

Quote:
Do you mind posting a picture of the electric tape and how you wrapped it around connectors?
DIY Install: 3" XP Micro Bi-Xenon Foglight Projectors on my Swift-screenshot_20200428183259__01.jpg

DIY Install: 3" XP Micro Bi-Xenon Foglight Projectors on my Swift-screenshot_20200428183305__01.jpg
This is the tape. The yellow plastic needs to be removed before application. You have to stretch the rubber and keep applying, it adheres to itself and then forms some kind of seal with itself. It's the same one used in submersible pumps which stays always underwater.

Quote:
I've tapped power using scotch locks as the connectors were not available back then for fog lamps . Therefore I covered the stock coupler of fog lamps with it. I've used it liberally over open joints and places where I thought water can seep into. It's still holding good since last 7 months.

DIY Install: 3" XP Micro Bi-Xenon Foglight Projectors on my Swift-img_20200429_093700__01.jpg
Headlight connection.

DIY Install: 3" XP Micro Bi-Xenon Foglight Projectors on my Swift-img_20200429_093735__01.jpg
Used it here to totally seal it as this the place where I've taken connection for high beam of foglamps from low beam of headlights.

DIY Install: 3" XP Micro Bi-Xenon Foglight Projectors on my Swift-img_20200429_093810__01.jpg
Front camera wire.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 19:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Used Anabond just an extra safety precaution - nothing else and that too for connectors sitting next to the fog lamps near the base of the bumper where there is a higher chance of water splash during rains. I am usually careful not to splash through water, but you know - sometimes we get caught unawares in heavy rains. So far they are working well.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 22:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti stock fog light wiring will not support 55W HID setup. The start up surge of the ballasts is very high, and its not just about the 55W wattage of the bulb in stable run.
You must use a separate relay harness powering directly from battery. A good quality relay harness includes an inline fuse in the power wire to be connected with battery +ve terminal. This ensures better safety.
Hello Reinhard, thank you for detailed explanation. I want to install projector fog lights in my 2014 model Ertiga and closely followed various projector fog light installation threads before ordering lights.

I have exact same set up as you have shown in the picture. Now I am stuck at connecting solenoid to high beam. My idea is to cut the H4 connector away which is there in the relay, connect blue wire to high beam pin of bulb and remaining wires (brown and white) to LHS H8 connector. I know this is very naive question, but will it work?

Quote:
why not simply hook up the solenoid wires into the stock head lamp's high beam wire? That only operates the solenoids and not the HID bulbs anyway. So if the HID projectors are OFF and you turn high beams - it will only click the solenoid shutters & no light will actually come from the projector fog lights anyway. This is far easier to implement. With the projectors and head lamp low beans ON, you'll never need to go on full high beams generally. Lighting is more than enough. So high beams are needed only for warning oncoming errant traffic to get out of the way. For this purpose - a separate switch is pretty useless as the oncoming traffic will be gone by the time you trigger the switch. Also - you may well forget to switch it off many times, leaving the projectors on high beam for that much duration. My 2 cents
Exact reasons, that I want to connect solenoid of projector fog lights to high beam of headlight.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:05   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I have exact same set up as you have shown in the picture. Now I am stuck at connecting solenoid to high beam. My idea is to cut the H4 connector away which is there in the relay, connect blue wire to high beam pin of bulb and remaining wires (brown and white) to LHS H8 connector. I know this is very naive question, but will it work?
Theoretically it will work - but don't do it if the H4 pin in the relay harness doesn't just power the solenoid wires but also fires the ballasts & HID bulbs at the same time when power is supplied to it. (most harnesses are like this.) It was the same thing I intended to do in my Nexon. But then - it didn't work. You see the high beam pin's wire in the H4 relay harness that I got - not only powered the solenoid connectors - it also powered up the ballast+ HID. So when flashing high beams - even if the fog lamps were OFF - they lit up & solenoids activated for high beam. This is very bad for the longevity of the HIDs and ballasts.

So - I didn't use the high beam wire from the relay harness's H4 connector. I have hooked up booth the solenoid's powering connector's +ve wires together & have inserted the single combined wire into the high beam pin of my car's stock harness for LHS headlamp. No scotch/cut/T tap - I have directly inserted it into the socket pin.

I have done similar thing in the Alto K10 also. Didn't use the high beam pin of the relay harness' H4 connected for the same reason I mentioned above. did separate wiring.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:14   #98
BHPian

My cars fog lights currently use an H3 type bulb, when I hook up the power to the HID Kit from the original harness, how do I connect it to the H3 type socket? Do I need to order a male H3 socket to connect?
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:23   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
My cars fog lights currently use an H3 type bulb, when I hook up the power to the HID Kit from the original harness, how do I connect it to the H3 type socket? Do I need to order a male H3 socket to connect?
I presume you have a Ford Fiesta, right?

What is the HID kit connector type? Depending on that you can get a pigtail or read-made harness. Can you please post details of the HID kit?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:44   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I presume you have a Ford Fiesta, right?

What is the HID kit connector type? Depending on that you can get a pigtail or read-made harness. Can you please post details of the HID kit?
Hello Anurag,

Yes it is a Fiesta Classic, the Kit I am ordering is from Blaze India. My car has the H3 type connector. What type of Pigtail do I need to order that will connect to my cars h3 connector or are they generic type?
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:06   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Hello Anurag,

Yes it is a Fiesta Classic, the Kit I am ordering is from Blaze India. My car has the H3 type connector. What type of Pigtail do I need to order that will connect to my cars h3 connector or are they generic type?
Remove and check the stock fog lamp's mounting bracket for compatibility before ordering this kit.
interc00led is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks