Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 12:32   #706
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Buy a new child restraint seat from Junior or mother care. They are available in big retails like lifestyle and shopper's stop. Also please note the following
Seat is too old

Most car seats expire after six years. Plastic gets brittle with age and compromises the safety of the seat. If you're borrowing or buying a used car seat, or reusing a seat from an older sibling, look for an expiration date on the seat or call the manufacturer.
Source - http://www.babycenter.com/101_five-d...es_10380122.bc
Old 20th March 2015, 13:17   #707
Senior - BHPian

I am still struggling to get a seat for my 6 year old son.
Earlier I was looking for a backless booster (but then someone said that the one with back is more comfortable).
The cushioning below is really thin. It is just like half to one centimeter of foam on the hard plastic.

I don't see many options in India.
Old 20th March 2015, 18:18   #708
Senior - BHPian

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram.raghavan View Post
Buy a new child restraint seat from Junior or mother care. They are available in big retails like lifestyle and shopper's stop. Also please note the following
Seat is too old

Most car seats expire after six years. Plastic gets brittle with age and compromises the safety of the seat. If you're borrowing or buying a used car seat, or reusing a seat from an older sibling, look for an expiration date on the seat or call the manufacturer.
Source - http://www.babycenter.com/101_five-d...es_10380122.bc
Thank you I did see the baby centre site beforehand and that's why I did not want to take a risk in buying from OLX.

Anyhow I went and auditioned car seats from Mothercare, 1st Step and Shopper Stop.

The one in the first step has a 5 point harness but the foam and plastic and harness was of inferior quality and it looked as if the baby would be lying on plastic rather than the foam. Absolutely not comfy for the baby.
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1426854403430.jpg

It also had no certification saying it is safe. Looks El Cheapo. So i am not buying it. Costs 4250 bucks.
It is of this quality: http://www.firstcry.com/m/fab-n-funk...product-detail.

On the other side they had a travel system pram with car seat. The pram is sturdy and car seat that comes with it is better quality than the other one. Costs 13k. It was listed in firstcry.com but now I couldn't find it.
It's similar to this: http://www.firstcry.com/m/sunbaby/su...product-detail.

Anyhow, I have to get a pram too so I am thinking:
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1426855679890.jpg

Next went to Lifestyle. The Phoenix Mall branch doesn't have any car seats. So went to Mothercare and they had only one model Mothercare Ziba model. Was light weight and sturdy but they had no discounts running. Had a black one.

So since I wanted to scout for options I came and went to Stoppers Shop.
They had the same Ziba model too: http://www.shoppersstop.com/mothercare-ziba-baby-car-seat-red.html.

A red one. This one is the same as in mother care but red in colour. It is 0+ category for 0 to 13 kgs. Has a newborn side pillow support and looks comfy. But has only 3 point harness. Has a ECE 44 certification so it is indeed safe. Quality oozes. No hard corners.
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1426855126419.jpg
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1426855166730.jpg

I have also 2 more options:
http://www.firstcry.com/m/fisher-price/fisher-price-fp-infant-car-seat-sands/524985/product-detail
http://www.firstcry.com/m/little-wanderers/little-wanderers-infant-car-seat-elephant-patch-blue/524979/product-detail

These 2 are of the same quality as that of mother care. In fact made by the same manufacturer and given different branding. Everything is same except colour and brand. Even the stickering on the side and looks are exactly the same and both are certified ECE 44 and safe.

I am confused. Which one should I go? Is the three point harness ok? Or should I forgo it?

Last edited by aah78 : 20th March 2015 at 19:36. Reason: Post edited for grammar & formatting. Please re-check before posting. Thanks!
geeash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 11:38   #709
Team-BHP Support

Hug your kids at home, but belt them in the car.

Hug your kids at home, but belt them in the car.
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-child-safe.jpg

With my son crossing the weight requirements for forward facing, his seat turns around.

After more than 4 years my wife will finally sit next to me when we have long family drives.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 19:23   #710
BHPian

So after a lot of searching and reading reviews, I have finally decided on the following car seat for my 5 year old:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B..._detailpages00

I had to order it to India, so was charged for postage as well as import fees, all in all it came down to 28K INR, but I am sure the product is worth the money.

For my 1 year old I could not find anything which amazon.co.uk could deliver, so I followed fellow members advice and visited Shoppers Stops in Pheonix and Seasons mall last weekend. When I was in the UK, I was using a Britax Eclipse car seat for the elder one, and I found the same in Shopper's stop at the Seasons Mall.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britax-Eclip.../dp/B00694VS2A

The original price for the seat was 19995 Rs, but luckily for us Shoppers stop has an offer going on where this is available for 9,999 Rs.

For anyone in Pune looking for a Group1 car seat (9KG - 18KG), I would recommend rushing to Shoppers stop before they run out.
Old 8th April 2015, 15:03   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post

The original price for the seat was 19995 Rs, but luckily for us Shoppers stop has an offer going on where this is available for 9,999 Rs.
Check the manufacturing date of the seat that you bought. I was also looking for a combination car seat and checked various Shoppersstop outlets in Mumbai. They were selling Britax seats at 50% discount with manufacturing date of 2012.
Old 8th April 2015, 15:10   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Check the manufacturing date of the seat that you bought. I was also looking for a combination car seat and checked various Shoppersstop outlets in Mumbai. They were selling Britax seats at 50% discount with manufacturing date of 2012.
No offence but so long as the seat is not damaged will the manufacturing date really make a difference? These things are designed to take years of abuse!
Old 8th April 2015, 15:11   #713
Senior - BHPian

@harryputtar
I purchased Britax First class Plus Combination car seat (2013 make) in May 2014 for 8500 from shoppers stop.

MRP: 19995 discount 50% plus 15% for citibank card.

Check manufacturing date before purchasing
Old 8th April 2015, 17:14   #714
BHPian

Confession time!!!!
I have improperly used( not fastening it to the seatbelt) a car seat for my elder daughter when she was an infant and didn't invest in a booster seat after she grew up. She is 7 years now and has all the qualities of a bad passenger( moving from back seat to front, sleeping in the back row and what not). To top this, my younger daughter, now 9 months old, we haven't even bought a car seat. We use an El Cheapo Chinese basket/carry cot on long journeys. I was scared when we drove to Ahmedabad from Mumbai and we have an upcoming trip to Goa via Tarkarli.
The worst is when my wife would get the infant in the front to feed. Finally I stopped the car and asked her to move behind.
She has invested in a Graco stroller , an infantino mei tei carrier, but a car seat has been left out.

After reading this thread, feels like I am driving the devils chariot !
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 17:26   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

See a child seat and motorcycle safety gear are like the same thing. We buy them and use them every time.

But before every trip say a small prayer that may the need to test them never arise.

You can start with securing your younger kid in a child seat and get your elder one to at least use the seat belt.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 18:44   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Confession time!!!!
She is 7 years now and has all the qualities of a bad passenger( moving from back seat to front, sleeping in the back row and what not). To top this, my younger daughter, now 9 months old, we haven't even bought a car seat. We use an El Cheapo Chinese basket/carry cot on long journeys. I was scared when we drove to Ahmedabad from Mumbai and we have an upcoming trip to Goa via Tarkarli.
The worst is when my wife would get the infant in the front to feed. Finally I stopped the car and asked her to move behind.
She has invested in a Graco stroller , an infantino mei tei carrier, but a car seat has been left out.

Good to hear that you are becoming cognizant of what you have been doing wrong Ritesh. The whole safety discussion is one which rarely happens in an Indian household. I would have been the same if I had not lived in a country like the UK, where they do not discharge a new born from the hospital, until you take them in a car seat .

My advice to anyone with kids (who they care enough about):

1) When out to buy your next car, buy one which has basic safety features like ABS and airbags.
2) Always wear seatbelts no matter what.
3) Always put kids in well tested child seats appropriate for their age.
4) Do not trust used car seats, I read somewhere once a car seat has been in an accident, its structural integrity may be compromised.

Good luck and welcome to the world of safe travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You can start with securing your younger kid in a child seat and get your elder one to at least use the seat belt.
I would recommend do not scrimp on this, and buy the safest booster seat available for your elder one. Backless boosters are not as safe as high back booster seats.

Last edited by harryputtar : 8th April 2015 at 19:10. Reason: Forgot to mention one important point.
Old 8th April 2015, 18:47   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

@riteshritesh- Don't beat yourself up, we've all been through the process of learning. What's important is that you now realize you need to act. Please go through this thread in detail and don't hesitate to ask if you have any specific queries.

For 7 and above, a simple booster seat with seatbelts is good enough. Younger one needs rear-facing seat till the weight limit of around 15 kg and then front seating with proper restraints. There are enough good options in all price ranges discussed here and available in all major cities and online.

Good luck and do keep us posted!
Old 9th April 2015, 11:58   #718
BHPian

Out of curiosity, what happens when you hail a cab with an infant in the USA/other mandatory car seat required countries? Do they refuse the 'bhada' without a car seat?
Old 9th April 2015, 12:31   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
No offence but so long as the seat is not damaged will the manufacturing date really make a difference? These things are designed to take years of abuse!
This was discussed on this very thread. This was for used car seats though:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3594503

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Cars will often stay out in the sun, and the heat will affect the car seat just as all other materials would age. Heat, sunlight all play a role. Just as your plastic chairs get brittle with age.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 12:33   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what happens when you hail a cab with an infant in the USA/other mandatory car seat required countries? Do they refuse the 'bhada' without a car seat?
In Singapore, child seat is not mandatory in cabs- they are also exempt from seat belt (for adults) in rear seat. At least that was the case 5-6 years ago.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks