Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 13:17   #556
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

car isn't Isofix compatible

I conditioning is critical. My older one for example refuses point blank to sit in the front because we had told her of the dangers an exploding airbag can cause to an undersized person. It became a little amusing the other day when I was trying to get her into the car to get her off the busy street when the rear seat was occupied for baby changing. "Nooooo...airbag!!!" I actually felt quite proud
HaHa my son now does the same !
Even if someone asks him to move to the front seat on the vento he does not do so because of the airbags ; While he is okay sometimes in the i10 . Infact he keeps saying that he’ll drive only the i10 when he grows up and not the vento !
Like you say it is indeed a nice feeling when they behave so .

It was really surprising when I found out that the Vento did not have isofix mounts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
. Try and maintain the discipline now - it is impossible to introduce at a later stage. In fact it's tough enough explaining to a rebellious 6.5 year old why he needs to sit in a child seat in the rear with a seat belt on, when his friends stand on the arm rest with their heads out of the sun roof. But if he had not been used to child seats throughout his life, that would have been impossible.
Quite true ! The thing is very few parents really enforce this ! As the kids grow a bit older to that stage when they start questioning you it is becoming difficult to answer their queries as to why the other kids of their age are jumping around the car.
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 14:51   #557
BANNED

I have recently been a father and in the market for a suitable toddler seat for him, there is this question in my mind popping up.

Car seats are designed to be fixed in rear seat and there are many posts here describing all the benefits that I more than agree. But as per Indian vehicle design and specification of sheet metal used, how safe it would be if hit from the rear?

For in case, I have a hatch back with crumple zone, engine block and airbags to protect the front passenger. However, there is just a hatch door on the back. God forbid, but in case of rear ended how the child seat going to help out. Is there any special safety arrangement in place which can be augmented to the toddler seat to reduce impact from rear end?
Old 30th May 2014, 15:07   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
in case of rear ended how the child seat going to help out.
I am no expert, but I guess...

--- By preventing your child from being thrown forwards.

--- By minimising whiplash injury.

--- Unless the collision is so severe as to crush the rear part of the car, I don't think that the dynamics of a rear-end collision are that different.

--- Rear-end collisions are common the world over. I like to think, I hope, that designers have taken this into consideration.

It is almost always safer for a passenger of any size/age to be safely secured in a car. There are always exceptions, and there is also controversy about child seats that I was unaware of before reading of it in this thread.

Bottom line is that cars are in no way guaranteed to keep any of us alive and uninjured. We can only do the best we can by combining careful driving and safety precautions.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 11:58   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I don't think that the dynamics of a rear-end collision are that different.

hi

It is very different unless you are in a standstill condition ! In fact the effect should be almost double in a front on collision when both vehicles travel at the same speed !
Old 22nd June 2014, 15:23   #560
Senior - BHPian

Friends ,

Kindly suggest me a good shop to purchase the baby car seat in chennai .
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:24   #561

hey guys we got one from mothercare. it a universal seat for the infant /toddler. till the child is 10kgs in weight you use it in the rear facing position. once your child is >10 kgs change the orientation to front facing.

we have been using this since our child was 6 months old.
does the job and easy on the pocket as well since you do not need to buy another on once the kid grows up- only other seat you would buy would be a booster seat at a later stage
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-imageuploadedbyteambhp1403442020.200951.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-imageuploadedbyteambhp1403442041.589453.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2014, 09:02   #562
Team-BHP Support

A real life story on proper usage of child seating systems:
http://www.thatslife.com.au/Article/...ed-my-daughter
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:11   #563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
A real life story on proper usage of child seating systems:
http://www.thatslife.com.au/Article/...ed-my-daughter
Thanks a lot for sharing this very unfortunate and extremely sad news.

I was confused on what to do.
My daughter is 3.5 years old. My son is 1 year old.

I was planning on moving my daughter to a new booster and put my son in her current child seat.
Currently my son uses a rear only child seat that is good for at least another 2 months.

So my princess remains in her child seat and the little fella gets his own.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:51   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Friends ,

Kindly suggest me a good shop to purchase the baby car seat in chennai .
hi

You could try any of the “ mother care” or “ mom & me “ showrooms. While mother care is there in EA mall & Ramee mall ; “mom & me” has many standalone showrooms in chennai . Make sure you get one relative to the age and weight of your little one.
It’ll also be nice instead of many online options because you can see if your little one is getting attracted towards a particular colour or comfortable with a particular seat before making the purchase.
good luck!!

hi VB SAN

Thanks for sharing that article. It really reinstates the fact that safety equipments save you only when used safely and more importantly correctly.

Last edited by atlantis0965 : 23rd June 2014 at 12:04.
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:59   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi

You could try any of the " mother care" or " mom & me " showrooms. While mother care is there in EA mall & Ramee mall ; "mom & me" has many standalone showrooms in chennai . Make sure you get one relative to the age and weight of your little one.
It'll also be nice instead of many online options because you can see if your little one is getting attracted towards a particular colour or comfortable with a particular seat before making the purchase.
good luck!!
Thanks. I have planned to visit mom and me in anna nagar this weekend .hope they have some baby car seat in stock. I should call them and confirm the stock and visit them. I have seen their website and almost decided on the lil wanderers convertible car seat. Presently I am using a bouncer attached to the seat belt on the rear seat. Its a temporary arrangement, but better than none and also makes him get used to a car seat.
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:28   #566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing this very unfortunate and extremely sad news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Thanks for sharing that article. It really reinstates the fact that safety equipments save you only when used safely and more importantly correctly.
Yeah, its extremely sad and show out the harsh realities related to child safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
So my princess remains in her child seat and the little fella gets his own.
Great! Nothing more important than the safety of the little ones. Happy shopping
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:49   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

One half of the step-children show no interest whatsoever in these precautions, for themselves or their child.

The other half is now expecting. The other day, i told them that, I didn't care if they never spoke to me again for saying it, but if they did not keep their baby safe in the car then I might never speak to them again.

Their response was heartening. Absolutely... from day one... from the trip home from the hospital.

They are recently returned from several years in Singapore, and stuff like seat belts is still second nature to them. Hoping it stays that way!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:52   #568
BANNED

My 3 month old son got his Car Seat convertible type last weekend. Got it from "Me & Mom". Didn't try any other place as the shop is very near to my place and they have very good ranges of collections.
Old 26th June 2014, 19:12   #569
Senior - BHPian

Bought the lil wanderers convertible car seat from Mom&Me Chennai. price : rs.7999. Will post pics after I fit in my car..
Old 26th June 2014, 19:30   #570
BHPian

I am a bit confused on the size of the child seat. The seats that are available in the market, do they fit in all type of vehicles, I own a WagonR and was wondering whether the child seat would fit in the rear of the car ? Please suggest

Also do any Bombayites have idea about where to procure good child seats from ?

Regards
Dieseltuned

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks